Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking (969 Views)

How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping / Dog That Has Highest Barking Voice / Dog Stops Barking After Eating Akpu/fufu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 1:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
Barking is natural! It's an important means of communication for dogs. But sometimes problems can develop. As the pack leader, it's your job to step in and control excessive barking. Here are my 5 tips to help you stop nuisance barking for good....check it out
http://fryydi.com/K0NsR
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by vikzdawiz: 10:49am On Jul 18, 2016
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by olisafincy(m): 11:39am On Jul 18, 2016
Thanks, LA click LA unclick.
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 2:29pm On Jul 18, 2016
you welcome!
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by mankan2k7(m): 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2016
LA click LA bend
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by loveson200: 8:12pm On Jul 18, 2016
I hear people use the word "excessive barking" and I wonder what they mean. Like you rightly noted, barking is natural for dogs and it is their way of communicating. Different breeds have different characteristics and that means different breeds will bark differently. Stopping a dog from carrying out his or her natural inclination could have negative effect on the dog and ultimately result in poor communication possibly out of fear for the owner.

I think what we should be concerned about is recognizing what message our dogs are trying to pass across any time they bark.

With my dog, the following messages are always clearly communicated whenever he barks:

1. When he is in distress, i.e., the leach is tangled; he wants to poop or wee.
2. When he is excited.
3. When there is danger or he senses an intruder around his territory.
4. When the danger or presence of an intruder is too close for comfort
just to mention a few.

So let us understand the message that our dogs are passing across rather than hushing them.

1 Like

Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 10:24pm On Jul 18, 2016
@loveson200...i understand your view point,but what we should try to understand is that some dogs bark unnecessarily..i happened to have a dog that tend to bark ALL day just due to the fact that it doesnt like being chained or caged,it strongly exhibits seperation anxiety which is totaly off the mark cos then it begins to act as a leader..thats why every dog needs the right training and discipline in this regard so that they just dont back at every given instant but at when appropriate.
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by loveson200: 9:35am On Jul 19, 2016
Fruzzy,

thanks for the point that you noted about dogs that will be agitated for example when chained or locked up, especially pups that are just being introduced to such situations. However, we often abuse such training and a dogs might be trying to communicate a serious situation and the owner hushes the dog. I cannot see any reasonable dog barking all night or all day if the situation does not warrant it. Definitely, there might be times when you might want your dog to be quiet. But let owners not abuse such training and at the end of the day defeat the purpose of having a dog that alerts in case of a security threat or any other situation worthy of alerting the owner.

1 Like

Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 11:30am On Jul 19, 2016
@loveson200..yeah that wd be totaly wrong!..i had a friend who had an alsatian dog and always hushes the dog even when there were intruders trying to disturb the dog and i was like: what da hell do you think you're doing!!..such kind of discipline wdnt be right cos its responding for d right purpose and in no time if he continues such discipline like that in no time developes into a cat and stops barking..so i wd say its best to train a dog properly right from time(puppy)so that it knows exactly when to react to things bt admist that one should never totaly shut a dog when barking,thats against the rule...
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 11:43am On Jul 19, 2016
@loveson200...what breed of dog do you have pls?
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by loveson200: 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2016
@Fruzzy,

I have two Caucs and they will never bark unless there is need for them to do so.
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 1:47pm On Jul 19, 2016
loveson200:
@Fruzzy,

I have two Caucs and they will never bark unless there is need for them to do so.
well trained!..i have two slant back GSD and two hyperactive caucs presently undergoing intensive training..
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by loveson200: 2:05pm On Jul 19, 2016
@Fruzzy,

I thinks its more to do with their age. I had to send my adult male for intensive training at 9 months. He was just impossible. However, I read that by a year six months Caucs tend to mature and some of their antics would be dropped, that's apart from aggression which gets worse everyday. I don't know the age of your dogs but by the time they are two years plus to three years I believe that the Caucs, particularly would cool down even if they only had obedience training which you can handle yourself. Slant backs are usually easier to handle as they are eager to please the owner and really extremely intelligent even if I dare say that apart from the Caucs frequent stubbornness they are nearly as intelligent as GSD. I trained my male for 90K (both aggressive and obedience training) and swore that I would train all my other dogs myself. Truthfully, aggressive training is not necessary for Caucs and I have been able to teach the younger female all the commands (obedience)that my trainer charged me heavily for.

Sorry if I am deviating from the thread.
Re: Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking by fruzzy: 4:25pm On Jul 19, 2016
@loveson200
i would just wanna believe it doesnt apply to all caucs,cos my brothers caucs is 2 1/2years old and its still so stuborn and even gets worse by the day!..even a friend of mine has one going to 3years 3days and stil manifest those traits..so considering those fact i dint wanna take any chances than to make them undergo the training to make things easier for me..am really nt a fan of caucs bt had to experiment with these two first..i love GSD:simply intelligent,smart and quick to learn,i trained mine all by my self..my plan is to get as many breed as possible..have u tried boerboel before?

(1) (Reply)

Female GSD At A Give Away Price / Confused About The Breed (pictures) / Super Male And Female Pedigree Neapolitan Mastiffs For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.