Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,567 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians (1105 Views)

There Will Be No Christians In Nigeria In Next 25 Years – NCEF Warns / "No Tithe, No Heaven" - Pastor Adeboye / 'I Sold My Soul To Satan So What? I Don't Want No Heaven' - Nigerian Lady Shocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by Lucario007(m): 5:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
How true do you think this is?
Most christians are acting as Christians simply due to their fear of hell and their promise of a sweet after life. Basically its a carrot and stick mentality, promising you the sweet carrot once you complete your deeds, but punishing you with the stick if you fail to adhere to the rules.

theists and atheists alike, what is your opinion?

Cc: Seun, sonoflucifer, annonym0us, winner01, valentinemary, cloudgoddess, Jonnydon22, hopefullandlord

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 17, 2016
There is no heaven and hell, and people believe these things. Faith has nothing to do with being rational -- sometimes , the more irrational a thing is, the easier it is to label it a miracle.
If Nigerian Christians truly believed in heaven and hell, OUR Society would be a much better place. But, who sai? Even the worst of them believes they'll be sucking milk from Abraham's bosom in heaven.

2 Likes

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by ValentineMary(m): 5:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
Lucario007:
Most christians are acting as Christians simply due to their fear of hell and their promise of a sweet after life. Basically its a carrot and stick mentality, promising you the sweet carrot once you complete your deeds, but punishing you with the stick if you fail to adhere to the rules.

Cc: Seun, sonoflucifer, annonym0us, winner01, valentinemary, cloudgoddess, Jonnydon22, hopefullandlord
It's true that christian dogmas and doctrines are largly spread by fear of hell and reward of heaven but not all xtians buy these stories. Have u ever heard of [/b] ATHEIST CHRISTIANS [/b] ? these are christians who don't believe in God but follow Jesus ways because they believe it is the best moral path. So without haven or hell, xtianity might still exist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by Lucario007(m): 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
ValentineMary:

It's true that christian dogmas and doctrines are largly spread by fear of hell and reward of heaven but not all xtians buy these stories. Have u ever heard of [/b] ATHEIST CHRISTIANS [/b] ? these are christians who don't believe in God but follow Jesus ways because they believe it is the best moral path. So without haven or hell, xtianity might still exist.

Are you referring to Jehovah's witnesses? I am not knowledgeable about their doctrines and practices, but I assumed that they also believed in heaven and a form of purgatory?
Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by ValentineMary(m): 7:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
Lucario007:

Are you referring to Jehovah's witnesses? I am not knowledgeable about their doctrines and practices, but I assumed that they also believed in heaven and a form of purgatory?
Not JW. These ones don't believe in God at all.
Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 17, 2016
Lucario007:

JWs don't believe in Purgatory. Read 2Peter 3:13. Jehovah's Witnesses believe in this. New Heaven and New Earth.
Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by KingEbukaNaija: 7:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
Lucario007:
[size=17pt]Most christians are acting as Christians simply due to their fear of hell and their promise of a sweet after life[/size]. Basically its a carrot and stick mentality, promising you the sweet carrot once you complete your deeds, but punishing you with the stick if you fail to adhere to the rules.

How can you aver that the enlarged text is true when you know little or nothing about Christianity . How can you make such daft conclusion
Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by winner01(m): 9:11pm On Jul 17, 2016
I do not think about hell as much as I think about heaven.

We do not fear anything. If you love God and walk with God, you have nothing to fear.

If there was no Hell, Ill still believe in God.

I strongly suspect that people who emphasize this "fear of hell" are kids.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by winner01(m): 8:39am On Jul 18, 2016
ValentineMary:

It's true that christian dogmas and doctrines are largly spread by fear of hell
This is a terrible lie.

Christianity is spread by love.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by hopefulLandlord: 8:54am On Jul 18, 2016
Truth is most so called "Christians" would deny this bitter truth but check their posts and you'll always see the way they preach this hell and heaven

There's even a DejiDeji, he brandishes Pascal's wager all the time and it actually cracks me up

In real life, I stun almost all Christians that decides to preach to me after knowing I'm an atheist (news of you being atheist spreads like wildfire)

They'll say, Jesus gives peace and joy, I'll counter that by asking if they think I don't have peace and joy already, since I have it, what else do I need their god for?

They'll say the peace and joy their imaginary friend gives is much better than what I have now; I'll tell them I'm satisfied with my present peace and joy so I don't want their god

They'll then switch over and threaten me with eternal damnation

I tell them I would like to go to hell; at that point most of them don't know what to say again, they would start stuttering beacuse they've NEVER met someone that said that, its an uncharted territory for them, they'll stutter through how hot hell would be and how Satan would torture me for his own amusement, I would then repeat that I still want to go to that hell, at that point, you could see their defense fall flat, they then look like a standup comedian who just told his "best joke" and people are not laughing

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by ValentineMary(m): 9:45am On Jul 18, 2016
winner01:
This is a terrible lie.
Christianity is spread by love.
Like the love of the inquisition and crusade abi

1 Like

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by winner01(m): 11:10am On Jul 18, 2016
ValentineMary:

Like the love of the inquisition and crusade abi
No, like the love of God reflected through concern for humans and the provision of human needs.

Not like the love of just one obsessed atheist, stalin, who killed 70 times the combined deaths of the inquisition and the crusade.

You know in your heart of hearts that Jesus condemned violence. Stop looking for a non-existent fault.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by winner01(m): 11:16am On Jul 18, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
[size=5pt]Truth is most so called "Christians" would deny this bitter truth but check their posts and you'll always see the way they preach this hell and heaven

There's even a DejiDeji, he brandishes Pascal's wager all the time and it actually cracks me up

In real life, I stun almost all Christians that decides to preach to me after knowing I'm an atheist (news of you being atheist spreads like wildfire)

They'll say, Jesus gives peace and joy, I'll counter that by asking if they think I don't have peace and joy already, since I have it, what else do I need their god for?

They'll say the peace and joy their imaginary friend gives is much better than what I have now; I'll tell them I'm satisfied with my present peace and joy so I don't want their god

I tell them I would like to go to hell; at that point most of them don't know what to say again, they would start stuttering beacuse they've NEVER met someone that said that, its an uncharted territory for them, they'll stutter through how hot hell would be and how Satan would torture me for his own amusement, I would then repeat that I still want to go to that hell, at that point, you could see their defense fall flat, they then look like a standup comedian who just told his "best joke" and people are not laughing[/size]
I've met several people who have said they would prefer to go to hell than heaven. Its all about emotions.

If you really had peace and Joy, the thought of God and religion wont fill your heart so much to an extent that you cant go a day without talking about it.

You cant go a day without really lacking a belief. can you? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by hopefulLandlord: 11:29am On Jul 18, 2016
winner01:
I've met several people who have said they would prefer to go to hell than heaven. Its all avout emotions.

If you really had peace and Joy, the thought of God and religion wont fill your heart so much to an extent that you cant go a day without talking about it.

You cant go a day without really lacking a belief. can you? grin

Right back at you bro, you can't go a day without bashing atheists/atheism; does that mean you lack joy and peace? grin

My motive for being here is known to only me

Why do you personalise things? It seems you do those when you have nothing else to say; pls leave trolling out of discussions between me and you in order to keep our discussions sensible

"Lacking" a belief? I have belief, I just don't have it in any god

Know the difference

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by ValentineMary(m): 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2016
winner01:
No, like the love of God reflected through concern for humans and the provision of human needs.

Not like the love of just one obsessed atheist, stalin, who killed 70 times the combined deaths of the inquisition and the crusade.

You know in your heart of hearts that Jesus condemned violence. Stop looking for a non-existent fault.
Did I ever mention that atheism should be spread? I advocate for freethinking. Stalin was wrong that's obvious and I can't support what he did.

But u said the crusade and inquisition are none existing, I find that statement disturbing because everyone knew they actually happened and we know what caused it. The belief in Jesus. Or did Jesus not say "Do u think I came to bring peace, no I came to bring disaster. Mother against daughter, father against son-in-law....."?
Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by winner01(m): 2:57pm On Jul 18, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Right back at you bro, you can't go a day without bashing atheists/atheism; does that mean you lack joy and peace? grin
I go days without talking about atheists my friend.
The reason why I expose atheism is because of the stupidity that has been going on in this section for a while, which might infact be the purpose of this section.

You can check my earliest threads. But now I get the point. And so in my leisure, i can come on here and lecture some atheists on history and the foolishness and emptiness of atheism.

If you had peace, you would have no problem letting go of your past.

hopefulLandlord:

My motive for being here is known to only me
More like an obsession with a non-existent God.

hopefulLandlord:

Why do you personalise things? It seems you do those when you have nothing else to say; pls leave trolling out of discussions between me and you in order to keep our discussions sensible.

Atheists do not want sensible arguments, they want continuous endless argiments.

hopefulLandlord:

"Lacking" a belief? I have belief, I just don't have it in any god

I lack a belief in Santa Claus. I do not talk about Him.

hopefulLandlord:

Know the difference
Thats what a lack of belief really means.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by winner01(m): 3:12pm On Jul 18, 2016
ValentineMary:

Did I ever mention that atheism should be spread? I advocate for freethinking. Stalin was wrong that's obvious and I can't support what he did.

I'm at loss on what you people mean by freethinking undecided

What exactly is freethinking? Atheism? undecided

I do not think the atheists who found their way to power wanted people to think freely, they actually imposed their thoughts on people - which is exactly what you and other atheists do here daily.

ValentineMary:

But u said the crusade and inquisition are none existing, I find that statement disturbing because everyone knew they actually happened and we know what caused it. The belief in Jesus.
When I said none-existent, I meant the faults of christianity.

Jesus preached only one message and gave only one commandment.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

Whatever anyone does in the name of Jesus, we can judge from this commandment.

ValentineMary:

Or did Jesus not say "Do u think I came to bring peace, no I came to bring disaster. Mother against daughter, father against son-in-law....."?

Ive explained this severally, and it further confirms that atheists dont need sensible explanations but endless ones.

People can get what Jesus really meant (HERE).

We know Jesus never advocated or engage in violence.

So why is the message of love so much of a problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by hopefulLandlord: 3:21pm On Jul 18, 2016
winner01:

I go days without talking about atheists my friend.
The reason why I expose atheism is because of the stupidity that has been going on in this section for a while, which might infact be the purpose of this section.

Your posts say otherwise, when active you talk more about atheism than any other thing, so its safe to say your the one obsessed with us

You can check my earliest threads. But now I get the point. And so in my leisure, i can come on here and lecture some atheists on history and the foolishness and emptiness of atheism.

In my leasure I come in here to lecture theists on history and foolishness of depending on their imaginary friend

If you had peace, you would have no problem letting go of your past.

I do, I have let go of it, just want as many people as possible to do the same and experience what true peace is without being brainwashed, if after exposing these they still wanna continue, its their choice but I know of some who have realised the sham called god for what it is from my/our posts and have dropped the idea of god totally, not bad if atheism keeps growing through this medium, its been growing so far and you my good sir is aiding its growth unintentionally

More like an obsession with a non-existent God.

And that god needs you to defend him? grin

Atheists do not want sensible arguments, they want continuous endless argiments.

Interesting point, replace "atheist" in that sentence with "theist" and it makes more sense grin

I lack a belief in Santa Claus. I do not talk about Him.

But you talk evolution despite not believing in it, Christians and hypocrisy grin

Thats what a lack of belief really means? Okay grin

NB: where do you always get your likes and shares from? It seems fishy how you always get it even when you're making no sense at all, if you're using other accounts to like and share your own posts it signifies the saddest and Pathetic way to make yourself feel better, if not then there's one sad and lonely individual who follows you around and likes every post you make "few seconds" after you post

Just stating an observation

2 Likes

Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by ValentineMary(m): 7:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
winner01:

I'm at loss on what you people mean by freethinking undecided

What exactly is freethinking? Atheism? undecided

I do not think the atheists who found their way to power wanted people to think freely, they actually imposed their thoughts on people - which is exactly what you and other atheists do here daily.

I thought I made it clear that I don't support Stalin's method. Free thinking is about questioning beliefs. They could be deist, pantheist, realist, etc they must not be atheist.

When I said none-existent, I meant the faults of christianity.

Jesus preached only one message and gave only one commandment.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

Whatever anyone does in the name of Jesus, we can judge from this commandment.

Jesus preched loved and at the same time said anyone who does not believe in him shall not have everlasting life. The same guy offering us salvation is threthening us. What does this tell u?

Ive explained this severally, and it further confirms that atheists dont need sensible explanations but endless ones.

People can get what Jesus really meant (HERE).

We know Jesus never advocated or engage in violence.

So why is the message of love so much of a problem.
Like his actions when he drove people away from the temple. A non violent man indeed. You xtians should just apologise for the inquisition already instead of defending it.
Re: If There Was No Heaven And No Hell, There Would Be No Christians by spacyzuma(m): 9:57am On Jul 19, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
Truth is most so called "Christians" would deny this bitter truth but check their posts and you'll always see the way they preach this hell and heaven

I tell them I would like to go to hell; at that point most of them don't know what to say again, they would start stuttering beacuse they've NEVER met someone that said that, its an uncharted territory for them, they'll stutter through how hot hell would be and how Satan would torture me for his own amusement, I would then repeat that I still want to go to that hell, at that point, you could see their defense fall flat, they then look like a standup comedian who just told his "best joke" and people are not laughing

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Nice!! I should try this.

(1) (Reply)

Miracle Gone Wrong: Woman Killed In Church As Pastor Tries To Perform A Miracle / Two Compelling Reasons To Show That Adeboye Is Not Of God / Type "Amen" Posts on Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.