Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,563 members, 7,955,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:37 PM

More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid (5523 Views)

Over 100m Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line —VP Osinbajo / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by mekuslogan: 12:01am On Sep 16, 2009
Most people do not even have the land to live off
Those who have do not make use of it
The figures could be a bit inflated; should be something like 70 %
But again if USAID did carry out a real survey, then they could be right
What is the minimum wage? 7000 per month
How much of that is a dollar per day, then times 2
7000 naira a month = appr. 47 dollars per month (@150 naira/dollar) = 1.5 dollars per day
How many Nigerians earn 7000 per month? How many earn more?
How many don't earn anything at all?

Many Nigerians fall within the 7000 naira and less bracket

But many more (senior staff of FGN, state, oil coys,  banks, other industries, traders, importers and exporters, transporters, artisans, etc) earn more than that, many actually far in excess of that
95% poverty is possible in the North, but not in Igboland.

1 Like

Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by bilymuse: 1:39am On Sep 16, 2009
"But again if USAID did carry out a real survey, then they could be right
What is the minimum wage? 7000 per month
How much of that is a dollar per day, then times 2
7000 naira a month = appr. 47 dollars per month (@150 naira/dollar) = 1.5 dollars per day
How many Nigerians earn 7000 per month? How many earn more?
How many don't earn anything at all?"

very interesting calculation
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Witi(m): 8:18am On Sep 16, 2009
mekuslogan:

95% poverty is possible in the North, but not in Igboland.
Agreed after-all there is alternative, MONEY RITUALS, ARMED ROBBERY, 419, DRUG TRAFFICKING, HUMAN TRAFFICKING and so on
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by sjeezy8: 8:36am On Sep 16, 2009
Witi:

Agreed after-all there is alternative, MONEY RITUALS, ARMED ROBBERY, 419, DRUG TRAFFICKING, HUMAN TRAFFICKING and so on
agreed

lol all this stuff makes a living in the south but can NEVER happen in the north

How ironic? the north is conservative, primitive and religious, The south is liberal, Modern and immoral
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by hollandis(f): 9:21am On Sep 16, 2009
grin
It is always a North vs South ending.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by mekuslogan: 2:26pm On Sep 16, 2009
Are there armed robbers in the North?
Are there kidnappers in the North?
Are there ritualists and murderers in the North?
Are there political looters in the North?
Are there drug dealers in the North?
The answer is obvious as we all have seen read and heard
So those who think the North is a holy land should keep living in dreamland
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by sheriffman(m): 9:20am On Sep 17, 2009
poverty level in the country is very high and unprecedented in the country's history.
but i still think that report is flawed,92% is overstating it.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by mekuslogan: 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2009
Witi:

Bauchi NDLEA Arrests Nine Drug Suspects
By Godwin Egbara, Reporter, Bauchi

THE new strategy put in place by Bauchi State Command of National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has yielded positive result as no fewer than nine drugs suspected dealers have been arrested in different location in the state with substance weighting 29.9kg.

Bauchi State Commander of NDLEA, Sule Momodu, disclosed this in Bauchi, while parading some suspects.

He said, "During ember period, there is always a high rate of drug consumption in the state," stressing that his command has put in place new strategy that would ensure that no drug baron escapes from the agency.

Momodu listed those arrested to include Ahmadu Umar, Suleiman Mohammed Dati, Garba Bawa, Nasiru Salihu, Ismaila Salihu, Garba Danyaro, alias Action, Nduka John, Abdulkareem Sale and Haruna Gambo.

According to him, they were arrested in various locations in Bauchi State, explaining that Ahmadu Umar and Suleiman Mohammed Dati were arrested in Magama area in Toro Local Government Area on August 31, 2009 with 900 gms of Indian hemp.

Momodu disclosed that Garba Danyaro had been on wanted list because of his previous two cases with the agency.

He said, "The harm Danyaro is doing to the state government is serious. He is using under-aged persons in marketing the commodity for him."

He explained that when they visited his house; a five-year-old boy was caught selling the drugs.

Momodu explained he had made a case to the State Government to seize the house of Danyaro and convert it to mosque. According to him, the proximity of his house attract youths which endanger their lives.

The state commandant added that his command also arrested one student, Nasiru Salihu, from Federal Polytechnic, Bida, for dealing with 27.1 kg of Indian. He was arrested in Bauchi on September 5, 2009.

He was said to have been in the wanted list of the agency having previous been alleged to be involved in drug business.

Momodu disclosed new strength to drug war in the state. According to him, Benilin syrup is negatively being used by ladies who spent longer hours in the office. According to him, ladies who spent longer hours in their house have resulted to using drugs to sustain them.

He explained that his agency is working in collaboration with the state government to control the use of drugs sold on the counter. Momodu said that such cooperation would go along way to improve the sale of dangerous drugs in the state.

The commandant appealed to the public to support his agency in his quest to raid the state from dangerous drugs in the state.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by rookie(m): 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2009
He recommended that “Nigeria needs to increase its grain production significantly while ensuring that farmers have access to good storage and preservation facilities as a form of encourage for higher production level.”

I think we are missing the point. Arguing about figures cannot change the reality that most Nigerians live in poverty.
The underlining message is that there are business opportunities for entrepreneurs to create value (even amidst poor infrastructure) to meet up the impending foot shortage.

It is left to us Nigerians to quit unprofitable nearly-obsessive debates and tap into abundant opportunities that sorround us.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by spyder880(m): 11:54pm On Jan 19, 2011
mekuslogan:

Are there armed robbers in the North?
Are there kidnappers in the North?
Are there ritualists and murderers in the North?
Are there political looters in the North?
Are there drug dealers in the North?
The answer is obvious as we all have seen read and heard
So those who think the North is a holy land should keep living in dreamland

Is there boko haram in the north?
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Nobody: 12:36am On Jan 20, 2011
The claim by USAID is ridiculous and false. The dollar element in it all is inappropriate and wholly misleading.

Most farmers/drivers/porters/labourers etc in Nigeria eat for dinner dishes worth at least $30 dollars in an average Nigerian restaurant in New York or Houston.

Breakfast? How much is a plate of yam, plantain, stew and eggs worth in DC or LA?

At least $25.

Lunch: A plate of Egusi soup with assorted meat and pounded yam (mind you the ''poor village farmers'' consume the real yam, not 'powdered', so, theirs is of more value). Price in Texas - Easily $35.

Supper:  Boli (roast plantain) with ukwa, fish, ube (African pear) and hot pepper sauce, washed down with vintage Palm Wine.

Cost in Philadelphia or New Jersey?

Easily over 40 USD.

Total per day on food alone for the average 'destitute' in Nigeria valued in USD = $100.

So this 'less than $2 a day' garbage emanating from these western groups needs to be seen as the worthless drivel it is, and consequently rejected.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Jan 20, 2011
[size=15pt]ROFLMAO!![/size] the length some people will go to excuse the ridiculous. . . .
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 20, 2011
If there is any part of my analysis you disagree with, feel free to let me know. Look, I was at a buka in Lagos the other day, and you need to see the way ordinary folks - taxi drivers - street hustlers - bus conductors, students etc, pop in and order the most delectable dishes filled with various meats and orishirishi.

I've no idea where these western groups get their figures. If anything food seems to be much more plentiful and affordable NOW than in years past.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by bashr4: 1:01am On Jan 20, 2011
90 percent thats very ridiculous ,they need to understand that food and services prices in the west is more expensive than the south , i grew up in enugu and am from anambra honestly i have seen more poverty visiting asia and europe than in these two states. they use these figures to defraud international organisations to get aid for africa or what ever they call it when africa loses double of what it gets from the west.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Nobody: 1:07am On Jan 20, 2011
My brother I say I was looking at some vulcanizer guy the other day doing half-hearted work on some motor on my street. The guy would pop to a nearby stall, buy a bottle of Coke and Gala as a snack, then order ice cream from a passing vendor. This guy is not rich and doesn't drive a jeep or live in VI. He's just a vulcanizer - the wretched of the earth, probably illiterate. But he's a long long way from living on ''$2 a day''.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by GAR3TH(m): 1:20am On Jan 20, 2011
The link to the article doesn't work and I found no evidence online that its 92%.

so I'm guessing its FAKE,  the highest numbers i got ranged from 50-70%.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by ekubear1: 6:36am On Jan 20, 2011
Can you even feed yourself 2 meals a day on under $2.00? Not to talk of any sort of upkeep?

So if 92% of people live below $2.00/day, do we then conclude that your average Nigerian is literally starving to death?
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Nobody: 6:40am On Jan 20, 2011
Ridiculous i must say . shocked shocked
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by KaluAkanu: 6:49am On Jan 20, 2011
Most of these impoverished Nigerians can either be found in the South-West or North. Predominately in the North I must say.

Maybe they should look to their leaders instead of a particular ethnic group.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Nobody: 6:51am On Jan 20, 2011
which group has ever blame another for their misfortune if not the east ?  undecided cry
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by KaluAkanu: 6:53am On Jan 20, 2011
~Bluetooth:

which group have ever blame another for their misfortune if not the east ?  undecided cry

Sorry but the East has the lowest incidences of poverty. Even the South-South is doing better than the North and South-West.

So stop blaming the Igbo for the nation's ills.  undecided undecided undecided

Silly people need to start blaming your leaders and look inward.
Re: More Than 92% Of Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line - Usaid by Nobody: 6:59am On Jan 20, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

Sorry but the East has the lowest incidences of poverty. Even the South-South is doing better than the North and South-West.

[s]So stop blaming the Igbo for the nation's ills [/s].  shocked shocked

Silly people need to start blaming your leaders and look inward.
who blamed ibo for the nation's problems if i may ask ? tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC To Prosecute Herman Hembe / River State Presidential Election Result Announced, Jega Accepts Result / $200 Billion To Be Repatriated Back To Nigeria From Dubai In Few Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.