Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,754 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Need To Get The Right Algorithm - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Need To Get The Right Algorithm (846 Views)

Your Toughest Algorithm / Ludo Game Algorithm Wanted For AI Project / Algorithm For Solving Systems Of Linear Equations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need To Get The Right Algorithm by face2tu: 11:39am On Sep 14, 2009
Hi,

I am trying to create a program that helps you calculate the CGPA of students with unlimited course units for 1 to 6 unit courses and am stranded in no man's land. so far, here is what i have done:

Declaration:
A = 5
B = 4
C = 3
D = 2
E = 1
F = 0

I HAVE ALSO DONE THE INPUT AND I ALSO MADE IT INTERACTIVE WHERE BY IF A STUDENT DOESN'T HAVE A 1 UNIT COURSE HE/SHE CAN SIMPLY GO TO A 2UNIT COURSE AND SO ON FOR THE REMAINING.

I HAVE ALSO DONE THE CALCULATING OF POINTS FOR JUST A SINGLE UNIT.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:
I FIND IT HARD TO BE ABLE TO WRITE THE ALGORITHM FOR HOW MY PROGRAMM WILL CALCULATES ALL THE POINTS

FOR EXAMPLE: IF A STUDENT HAVE 2 COURSES IN THE 1 UNIT COURSE AND 4 COURSES IN A 3UNIT COURSE HOW DO I MAKE MY PROGRAM GO AROUND IT SINCE I DID NOT SPECIFY THAT FOR 1UNIT COURSE THIS MUST BE INPUTED AND FOR 2UNIT THIS MUST BE INPUTED AND SO ON, IN A CLUE OR BETTER STILL AN IDEA ON HOW ITS GOING TO WORK,

PLEASE I NEED THIS HELP AND ITS URGENT,
YOU CAN ALS0 CONTACT ME ON MY EMAIL: femisimon@gmail.com
Re: Need To Get The Right Algorithm by ogzille(m): 8:46pm On Sep 15, 2009
i think u should run a loop and check d textboxes for content using d normal if statement.
which alng are u using?
Re: Need To Get The Right Algorithm by Kobojunkie: 11:48pm On Sep 15, 2009
@Poster, definitely need more info here. What do those declarations actually mean? What are the rules here?
Re: Need To Get The Right Algorithm by lordNebu(m): 12:19am On Sep 16, 2009
@Poster, yeah we need alil info and also what language are u using , but language is irrelevant just the algorithm, u need a loop. a while loop would be lovely for this, if u talking an INFINITE/UNKNOWN number of courses, now all u need to do is write down ur pseudo code all on paper and i think if u take ur time u can figure out the proper way to write ur code, also i hope ur Array handling is good. cos u need to store the input data in an array , iterate thru the array and perform the necessary IF or switch statement on ur values,
Re: Need To Get The Right Algorithm by sholyboy89: 5:00pm On Sep 16, 2009
ask the user to enter the amount of courses for each unit then use a for loop to allow the user enter the values
Re: Need To Get The Right Algorithm by face2tu: 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2009
@OGZILLE, Am still thinking of the kinda loop that will be appropriate for this, and how will the loop help me in the calculation of the points from the different course?

@Kobojunkie, The declaration are for the grades that a student scores in a course or exam and immediately as he inputs A,B, or C the processor understands it and uses it for its calculation but the problem is that thos grades comes in courses in 1unit, 2unit up to 6 and are indefinate

@lORD_Nebu, pseudo codes, that might be a little difficult, don't you think. Maybe you can give an idea of how to get it coded well enough to avoid errors. And as for my Array handling i guess am just OK in it. Don't know any switch statement and as a matter of facts am hearing that for the first time.

@Sholyboy89, Asking me to tell the users is a new twist to the program and i think i like it but how will i get to do that, thats going to be tasking cause i have never thought about it like that, once again thats certainly brilliancy coming from you, But the q is how do i do that?

(1) (Reply)

Assembly Programming Kits / Registration Of User With Vb 2010 / Python Language For Newbies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.