Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Your Toughest Algorithm - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Toughest Algorithm (2936 Views)

Simple Algorithm Challenge / Pls Programmers Help With Similarities Of Pseudocode & Algorithm / Try This Algorithm Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 7:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
Let us learn from each other here. Tell us about the toughest algorithm you've ever worked on and if you wish, explain how it works and the difficulties you faced.

Any language is allowed
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Ogbeozioma: 7:08pm On Jul 04, 2015
Tell us yours first
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 05, 2015
(When i am still a Beginner)
cool Implementing a (GUI) Calendar in Java is the toughest thing i ever come acrossed, it took me 3days... But i learn a lot of things from it too.
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
Often, one's toughest algorithm problem is often a piece of cake for another.

Personally, I found advanced cases of multidimensional dimensional arrays to be both exciting and intimidating cry

1 Like

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 07, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:
Often, one's toughest algorithm problem is often a piece of cake for another.

Personally, I found advanced cases of multidimensional dimensional arrays to be both exciting and intimidating cry

I have less wahala with that..
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 07, 2015
Multi-level marketing. When you have to do a maybe 4 x 4 force matrix system.

This means when a person registers, you must get like 4 other below below you to complete level 1, each one of them must get 4 each to complete their level 1 for you to get to level 2.
Then you need to calculate the commission that everyone gets based on how their tree looks like. In short, there is a lot of recursion - and recursion programming is not an easy one at all at all. . . .

https://jam.jrox.com/kb/article/110/what-is-forced-matrix.php?action=displayarticle&id=what

2 Likes

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 07, 2015
dhtml18:
Multi-level marketing. When you have to do a maybe 4 x 4 force matrix system.

This means when a person registers, you must get like 4 other below below you to complete level 1, each one of them must get 4 each to complete their level 1 for you to get to level 2.
Then you need to calculate the commission that everyone gets based on how their tree looks like. In short, there is a lot of recursion - and recursion programming is not an easy one at all at all. . . .

https://jam.jrox.com/kb/article/110/what-is-forced-matrix.php?action=displayarticle&id=what
shocked Its Thinkable Sha wink
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 07, 2015
Of course i got it right in the end - after many trials and errors. . . .the second one was when i had to parse an excel document with thousands of rows and columns. . . .and also use google map to get the geographical map area of each record.
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 5:01am On Jul 09, 2015
hahaha well I must confess, multidimensional arrays have always intimidated me. The toughest single algorithm I'veworked on was in a word unscrambler app. Where the user would input random characters and it would check each one against a dictionary word. One of the problems I had was if the word had a repeated character e.g "advantage". The next one was in a game I made with processing, I'll post about that later.
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by romme2u: 4:05am On Jul 11, 2015
i have tackled some terrible algorithms especially when consuming web services but i think one that nearly buckled me was traversing DRUPAL'S monstrous multidimensional arrays to capture n process some data during drupal development (while building drupal theme, i refused to meddle into module development for now). finding, tracking and hooking data n processes(functions/methods) into drupal ecosystem is my new found love.
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 6:39am On Jul 11, 2015
^^^Chisox! the first time i had to walk through that array i almost died. I have missed drupal gan ni o.
One of the toughest jobs I did with drupal was the drupal backend of interswitchng.com - almost killed especially as they wanted everything on the same page.

1 Like

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 8:02am On Jul 11, 2015
lol that sounds tough. I don't know why I just don't like arrays in multi dimension
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 11, 2015
^^^I can cope with arrays of any dimensions in any programming language for that matter - even 1000 levels sef. I may have to take a week off work to parse all the levels, i dont mind really.
But the one i am very mindful of is - recursive programming!!! It makes my head to spin like tire and when i finish. . . . . .i feel quite giddy as if a thousand bees are buzzing in my head. . . . .and sometimes it may cause NIGHTMARES!
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 3:51pm On Jul 11, 2015
lol, true its quite confusing, like I'll have to start writing things down, but I love it grin. I'm might just make another opensource program using it

dhtml18:
^^^I can cope with arrays of any dimensions in any programming language for that matter - even 1000 levels sef. I may have to take a week off work to parse all the levels, i dont mind really.
But the one i am very mindful of is - recursive programming!!! It makes my head to spin like tire and when i finish. . . . . .i feel quite giddy as if a thousand bees are buzzing in my head. . . . .and sometimes it may cause NIGHTMARES!
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by ToyinDipo(m): 8:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
One of my toughest algorithm is a program to generate sets of all the possible outcomes of n dice thrown. Where n is any positive integer entered by user. It might be piece of cake for some people though.

Also, there is another like a quiz here https://www.nairaland.com/1486507/challenge-league-fixture-algorithm#19095756

It's more of heuristics though.

1 Like

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by hisabimbola(m): 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2015
Boss I hail oh
ToyinDipo:
One of my toughest algorithm is a program to generate sets of all the possible outcomes of n dice thrown. Where n is any positive integer entered by user. It might be piece of cake for some people though.

Also, there is another like a quiz here https://www.nairaland.com/1486507/challenge-league-fixture-algorithm#19095756

It's more of heuristics though.
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by ToyinDipo(m): 11:33pm On Jul 11, 2015
hisabimbola:
Boss I hail oh

My Oga, how did thou find me. I be learner for your sideoo.

1 Like

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 12, 2015
You guys no dey sleep ni?
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 5:52am On Jul 12, 2015
haaa DADDIES are here oo
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by thewebcraft(m): 4:05pm On Jul 17, 2015
My toughest was when i was building a wordpress plugin (My First) for a client.. the plugin notifies all the mobile app users for the blog (through Push Notification) when a new post is made by the admin, it sends the post title, Intro content and comments count.... i didnt shut down my laptop for a week was hibernating.. (If i was my own project its normal) my browser tab(s) on wordpress documentation, google gcm and apple push and windows was more than 40... after the project when i tried shutting down it took 30mins for my pc to shut down..

2 Likes

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2015
^^^Wow! learning GCM under such a short time no easy at all. . . . .hope the client paid well sha.
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2015
dhtml18:
^^^Wow! learning GCM under such a short time no easy at all. . . . .hope the client paid well sha.
23 steps is involved (java) www.appsrox.com/android/tutorials/instachat/#1
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by thewebcraft(m): 5:06pm On Jul 17, 2015
dhtml18:
Why not .... Creating a plugin that uses GCM, APN and the windows Azure service with php curl is no joke...
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by thewebcraft(m): 5:08pm On Jul 17, 2015
proxy20:

23 steps is involved www.appsrox.com/android/tutorials/instachat/#1
GCM Alone with PHP is easy....
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 5:19pm On Jul 17, 2015
At all shocked
thewebcraft:

Why not .... Creating a plugin that uses GCM, APN and the windows Azure service with php curl is no joke...

1 Like

Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by thewebcraft(m): 6:06pm On Jul 17, 2015
FincoApps:
At all shocked
Hello Boss
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by JackOfAllTrades: 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2015
I find implementing regular expression based algorithms brain bleeding embarassed
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2015
Watsup webcraft. I see your web-slaughtering in action o grin
thewebcraft:

Hello Boss
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by FincoApps(m): 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2015
lol, there's a lot of tough algorithms though.
JackOfAllTrades:
I find implementing regular expression based algorithms brain bleeding embarassed
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2015
job vacancy at Google Inc apply now if you are qualified for us citizens only https://www.google.com/about/careers/search#!t=jo&jid=120105001
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by thewebcraft(m): 2:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
FincoApps:
Watsup webcraft. I see your web-slaughtering in action o grin
Lolzz.... grin
Re: Your Toughest Algorithm by romme2u: 1:47am On Jul 19, 2015
dhtml18:

theoritically. any recursive function or situation can be done with iterative methods if restructured properly. just that recursion makes ur code more ELEGANT though not intuitive (even when heavily commented as refactoring may be a nightmare for another person or even u after some time).

i have never use recursion since i have not encounter a suitable use - case where iterative method is not suitable to deal with it. just ma opinion anyway

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Portfolio Projects / Quadratic Equation Solving App I Developed In Python / "Qt Creator" Need Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.