Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,323 members, 7,815,628 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Nairalanders Zakat - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Nairalanders Zakat (7530 Views)

The Virtue In Giving The Alms (zakat) / 8 Basic Errors Muslims Make When Paying Zakat Al-fitr / How Zakat Can Reduce Poverty and Starvation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders Zakat by abbeydot: 8:21pm On Sep 14, 2009
Salam All,

Greetings to you all in this last ten days of Ramadan where the Prophet (pbuh) advised us to seek for the night of majesty. Insha Allah, May we receive the ultimate blessings, favors and rewards inherent in these days.

I've been thinking very much in the spirit of fulfillment, accountability and brotherhood/sisterhood, we should come together, pool our Zakat for the year 1430 AH/ 2009 and seek to ensure that our Zakat is well utilized by the needy. If this is not against the teachings of Islam, I think we should nominate credible Nairaland muslims to be collectors (or open an account and make them signatories), put in our Zakat funds for the year and decide what to do with it.

I am suggesting this because i do not really see the benefits of our yearly Zakat to the needy here in Nigeria and we don't seem to have a reasonable Zakat committee. Scholars and students in the house should look into this and see if it falls in line with laid down injunctions (not a bid'ah), make suggestions, give us the "Zakatable" income for the year, time to be paid and we see how it moves.

May Allah reward the typer, readers and contributors for our little effort. Amin

Start commenting
Re: Nairalanders Zakat by abbeydot: 8:50pm On Sep 14, 2009
Though, i intended to attend the Ramadan Iftar organized by Bro. Jarus, i missed it.

I appeal to those who attended that Iftar and saw themselves to help out seriously in the driving of this cause if it is accepted, cos they have seen themselves physically, have phone numbers and other contacts of themselves.

Bro Jarus, Javalove, mukinat, Abuzola etc, help out here
Re: Nairalanders Zakat by Jarus(m): 11:01pm On Sep 14, 2009
Wa alaikum Salam,
Much as it is a very noble idea, I doubt its feasibility. Many people here are not zakatable.
Instead, can we turn this thread into a discussion on Zakat, what income is zakatable, how to go about it and general discussions on Zakat, with a strong advice to those zakatable to fulfill this obligation?
Re: Nairalanders Zakat by abbeydot: 9:11am On Sep 15, 2009
Jazak Allahu khayran Bro Jarus,

Your point is well taken. Though i wish the Zakatable ones would come out to support this cause.

Notwithstanding, i would urge you and the other scholars in the house to enlighten us on the points you have raised in you last post.

For every one's information, note that i mistakenly started this post first in the General religion section, before creating this one in the Islam For Muslims board. Anyone with access to delete the other one can please do so.

Ma Salam.
Re: Nairalanders Zakat by bilms(m): 10:30am On Sep 15, 2009
this is a link to calculate ur zakat, but its in pounds, u can convert to what currency u are interested in
http://www.ramadhanzone.com/zakat_calculator.asp

Assalamu alikum wara matullahi wabarakatu,

my fellow brothers and sisiters in islam,

i am here to share with you about one of the religious obligation zakat,

Zakat is the compulsory giving of a set proportion of one's wealth to charity. It is regarded as a type of worship and of self-purification. Zakat is the third Pillar of Islam.

Zakat does not refer to charitable gifts given out of kindness or generosity, but the giving of 2.5% of one's wealth each year to benefit the poor.

The benefits of Zakat, apart from helping the poor, are as follows:

* Obeying God
* Helping a person acknowledge that everything comes from God on loan and that we do not really own anything ourselves And since we cannot take anything with us when we die we need not cling to it
* Acknowledging that whether we are rich or poor is God's choice So we should help those he has chosen to make poor
* Learning self-discipline
* Freeing oneself from the love of possessions and greed
* Freeing oneself from the love of money
* Freeing oneself from love of oneself

there is diffrenece between zakat & zakatul fitr,

What is Zakat?

Zakat is generally 2.5% of surplus wealth that you have possessed for a full lunar year.

In simple terms, you could define surplus wealth as any wealth that is over and above the necessary expenses that you and your family dependants need in order to live your normal day-to-day lives.

What does Zakat do for you?

• Zakat is a most beautiful concept and a gift to us from Allah.
• It has the meaning of purification – for you and for your wealth.
• And it is one of the obligations in Islam that helps us get to paradise, Insha’Allah.

The lunar year,

The next stage is to work out your start and stop dates for paying your Zakat.

You need the start & stop dates because in order for wealth to be liable for Zakat, it needs to have been in your possession for a full lunar year. A lunar (moon) year is about 10 or 11 days shorter than a solar (sun), year.

Most people just have a fixed time every year when they calculate their Zakat from one year to the next – and many choose Ramadan, for example.

This is ok as a general rule but if you receive a lot of money or huge contract at some point in the middle of a year, you may need to begin a new start & stop point for calculating your Zakat.

Why would I need to begin a new zakat year?

It might be, for example, calculate your Zakat from one Ramadan to the next.

You could then receive a large sum of money six months after Ramadan.

When the next Ramadan comes along, you will have had this large sum of money only for six months – not a full lunar year.

If you wait to pay until the Ramadan after that, you will have had the large sum of money by that time for 18 months. This would be wrong because you should have paid Zakat on it after 12 months.

Therefore, you should really have started a new Zakat year for this large sum of money from when it was received.

And, you should pay Zakat on it a full 12 (lunar) months later.

In this way, you could have more than one Zakat year running at the same time

……the ‘Nisab’

By now you should have:

* Established the month on which you wish to calculate and pay your Zakat; i.e. the start & stop dates for your Zakat year.

Now you need to compare this amount of wealth to what is called the ‘Nisab’ – which is a threshold of wealth above which you need to pay your Zakat.

Remember though that your zakat is calculated on your total excess wealth, not on the difference between nisab and total excess wealth. The nisab is used only to indicate whether you are eligible to pay zakat.

You must now pay 2.5% on the total amount of your surplus wealth which is for example 2.5% of N150,000 which is N3750.00 This N3750.00 is your Zakat for the year. It will purify your wealth and Allah will bless you, insha’Allah.

The importance of good intentions

Calculating Zakat is not always that easy. There are many rules and differences amongst scholars about exactly what is what regarding Zakat.

Some Muslims may use this as an excuse for not paying at all by saying, “It’s all too confusing and complicated for me”.

Others may try and use the different rules to try and pay as little as possible.

At the end of the day, it is up to you and you alone. It is your future that is at stake and more than anything else, Allah, subhana wa ta’la, wants good intentions behind any of our actions.

Therefore, it is not of most importance that you get every single rule right in every detail. Far more important is that you make a sincere intention to please Allah by paying as much Zakat as is expected of you – and according to the best information & knowledge you have acquired.

Some basic rules

As noted earlier, Zakat has many rulings so for anything especially complicated - or to be sure about something you have read - you should go to a trusted imam or scholar with your querie,

Do I include loans on my surplus wealth calculation?
Yes – if you expect to receive the loan back, then you should include it.

Should I deduct my debts from my surplus wealth calculation?
You should calculate how much debt you expect to pay off in the coming lunar year (including a mortgage) and then you can deduct that amount from your surplus wealth calculations. Paying off a debt takes priority over Zakat.

Should I include jewellery?
No – if the jewellery is for personal use, then it should not be included. If it is for trading or investment purposes, then it should be included as part of your wealth calculations.

Can I make up for lost years when I didn’t pay Zakat?
Yes – you should work out how much you owed for each year you lost.

Doesn’t my other charity money count towards Zakat?
No – to pay Zakat you must first make the intention specifically for Zakat and then you must observe the rules of time, surplus wealth, and nisab.

How do I calculate Zakat on my business?
This can be complicated, but the basic rule is that your fixed assets are not liable for Zakat but all other assets should be included in your surplus wealth calculation.

Do I include stocks and shares?
Yes – you should calculate their monetary value at the time and include that as part of your wealth. (If the company for which you have stocks says that 50% of its value is in fixed assets, for example, then you could include only 50% of your share value in your wealth calculations if you wish).

Do I pay Zakat for my children?
No – not unless they have their own wealth, in which case they have an option to pay or not to pay Zakat - while they are still only children (i.e., up to puberty).

Who can receive my Zakat?
There are many categories given in the Quran (see Surat at Taubah 9:60). Basically, Zakat is for the poor – who are often defined as those who have wealth which is less than the annual Nisab threshold.

This is all about zakat,

now abt zakat fitr,

Zakat Al Fitr

1. MEANING
Zakaah al-Fitr is often referred to as Sadaqah al-Fitr. The word Fitr means the same as Iftaar, breaking a fast and it comes from the same root word as Futoor which means breakfast. Thus, Islamically, Zakaah al-Fitr is the name given to charity which is distributed at the end of the fast of Ramadaan.

2. CLASSIFICATION
Sadaqah al-Fitr is a duty which is Waajib on every Muslim, whether male or female, minor or adult as long as he/she has the means to do so.

The proof that this form of charity is compulsory can be found in the Sunnah whereby Ibn `Umar reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam) made Zakaah al-Fitr compulsory on every slave, freeman, male, female, young and old among the Muslims; one Saa` of dried dates or one Saa` of barely.

The head of the household may pay the required amount for the other members. Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree said, "On behalf of our young and old, free men and slaves, we used to take out during Allaah's Messenger's (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) lifetime one Saa` of grain, cheese or raisins".

3. SIGNIFICANCE
The significant role played by Zakaah in the circulation of wealth within the Islamic society is also played by the Sadaqah al-Fitr. However, in the case of Sadaqah al-Fitr, each individual is required to calculate how much charity is due from himself and his dependents and go into the community in order to find those who deserve such charity. Thus, Sadaqah al-Fitr plays a very important role in the development of the bonds of community. The rich are obliged to come in direct contact with the poor, and the poor are put in contact with the extremely poor. This contact between the various levels of society helps to build real bonds of brotherhood and love within the Islamic community and trains those who have, to be generous to those who do not have.

4. PURPOSE
The main purpose of Zakaah al-Fitr is to provide those who fasted with the means of making up for their errors during the month of fasting. Zakaah al-Fitr also provides the poor with a means with which they can celebrate the festival of breaking the fast (`Eed al-Fitr) along with the rest of the Muslims.

Ibn Abbaas reported, "The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) made Zakaah al-Fitr compulsory so that those who fasted may be purified of their idle deeds and shameful talk (committed during Ramadaan) and so that the poor may be fed. Whoever gives it before Salaah will have it accepted as Zakaah, while he who gives it after the Salaah has given Sadaqah."

Hence, the goal of Sadaqah al-Fitr is the spiritual development of the Believers. By making them give up some of their wealth, the believers are taught the higher moral characteristics of generosity, compassion (sympathy for the unfortunate), gratitude to God and the righteousness. But, since Islaam does not neglect man's material need, part of the goal of Zakaah al-Fitr is the economic well-being of the poorer members of society.

5. CONDITIONS
Zakaah al-Fitr is only Waajib for a particular period of time. If one misses the time period without a good reason, he has sinned and can not make it up. This form of charity becomes obligatory from sunset on the last day of fasting and remains obligatory until the beginning of Salaah al-'Eed' (i.e. shortly after sunrise on the following day). However, it can be paid prior to the above mentioned period, as many of the Sahaabah (companions of the Prophet(sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ) used to pay Sadaqah al-Fitr a couple days before the `Eed.

Naafi reported that the Prophet's companion Ibn `Umar used to give it to those who would accept it and the people used to give it a day or two before the `Eed.

Ibn `Umar reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) order that it (Zakaah al-Fitr) be given before people go to make the Salaah (al-'Eed).

And Ibn `Abbaas reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, "Whoever gives it before the Salaah will have it accepted as Zakaah, while he who gives it after the Salaah (will not, for it will only be considered as) ordinary charity. Therefore, one who forgets to pay this Zakaah al-Fitr on time should do so as soon as possible even though it will not be counted as Zakaah al-Fitr.

6. RATE
The amount of Zakaah is the same for everyone regardless of their different income brackets. The minimum amount is one Saa` (two handfuls ) of food, grain or dried fruit for each member of the family. This calculation is based on Ibn `Umar's report that the Prophet(sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) made Zakaah al-Fitr compulsory and payable by a Saa` of dried dates or a Saa` of barley.

The Sahaabee, Abu Sa`eed al-Khudree said, "In the Prophet's time, we used to give it (Zakaah al-Fitr) as a Saa` of food, dried dates, barley, raisins or dried cheese

Maallam

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Zakat by mendax: 11:16am On Jul 06, 2012
Salam, any idea of the current rate for zakat nisab for money?
Re: Nairalanders Zakat by olawalebabs(m): 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan / Ramadan Challenge 30 Day Self Improvement Ideas / Ramadan: Sultan Urges Muslims To Look Out For Moon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.