Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,633 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Mother Pressure - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Pressure (741 Views)

‘she Denies Me Sex And My Doctor Says SEX Is Good For My High Blood Pressure’ / Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play / Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother Pressure by AniLee(f): 7:57am On Sep 15, 2009
Ok, listen people, I have sort of a family, ok let me make that mother, problem. It isnt really a problem, just pressure. I am approaching/in the marriage age zone, which I am not really keen on because I am studying Medicine which is just overbearing and all that concerns me now is to graduate. My father is supporting me fully in telling me to focus on that first (thats probably because he studied medicine too and knows what the hard slaving means) but my mother has started hinting marriage stories. I mean whats up ma'am, its probably the last thing on my mind now cause I know myself. If I am having one burden esp like studies, I tend to pay less attention to a relationship. I dont know if its psychological and frankly I dont care whats the root cause but those are just facts and I have found out i tend to cope well. Now, I know she is just concerned that I should not miss out and struggle to find a partner later on but I really dont think I need that pressure right now at the peak of my education. I know many other females have managed to even get married while still at Med school but I have seen most of them struggle to cope afterwards. Anywway, these are just supporting facts, not that they are my justifying reasons. Nowadays whenever she brings up such topics, I just remain silent and I have also started keeping clear of her and avoiding her. Please help me, as we are very close and I dont know how to make her understand.
Re: Mother Pressure by sparta(f): 10:03am On Sep 15, 2009
There should be a balance, life is not all about marriage neither is it all about education.

I am wondering, is studying medicine that tasking?
Re: Mother Pressure by iice(f): 12:07pm On Sep 15, 2009
Eyah. Can't you talk to her and explain to her that right now, medicine is your focus?
Atleast your dad is supportive.
Re: Mother Pressure by ayomidej(f): 12:59pm On Sep 15, 2009
If your dad is supportive about it then speak to your mum raising your concerns. At you need to do one before next to the other one. grin
Re: Mother Pressure by AniLee(f): 6:35am On Sep 16, 2009
well, med isnt that taskin initially but the weight load increases gradually as you progress through the study years. Yeah I guess talking to her is the only way out (though I have feeling that will calm things down for a short while, knowing her). But thanks you guys.
Re: Mother Pressure by Ceily(f): 9:03am On Sep 16, 2009
Mothers tend to be overconcerned sometimes. I don't think that you really can convince her that you will find a partner after graduating. I would just tell her as friendly as possible that this is your life and that she has to trust you that you will find your way. These are HER concerns and you should not suffer because your mother is not willing to let her sorrows go. Your mother has to learn that you are grown up now.

Best regards,
Ceily
Re: Mother Pressure by Pittbaby(f): 9:24pm On Sep 16, 2009
I will say try and balance it, but not because your mother is presurring you. the easiest place to run into people with the same values and goals as you is when you are in school. Once you are out , you never know where work will take you. Its not by force that you marry while you are studying but make sure you nurture a network of friends.
Re: Mother Pressure by BlackRevo: 9:01pm On Sep 17, 2009
i think you should show her some signs that you are also working towards that while pursuing your studies.
Re: Mother Pressure by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 18, 2009
Tell your dad to talk to her. smiley
Re: Mother Pressure by kellorah: 12:58am On Sep 18, 2009
How old are you?

She's just concerned and all she can do is talk and talk; you don't have to listen to her.

But you know u cud also have a bf while studying; it's not that difficult to handle. It will only be a prob if the guy is giving u unnecessary headache. But good luck with everything, and ye, if it comes to u choosing one do stick to ur career (esp if ur confident in urself that @ no matter age u might be at, u'll still get a man). wink wink

(1) (Reply)

Is This Right? / Mom Calls Police Over Grand Theft Auto / Have I Done The Wrong Thing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.