Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Quick Review For A Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Quick Review For A Website (3900 Views)

Please I Need A Quick Review For My "Wiki" / Bloggers Submit Your Blog For Review For Blogworld Awards 2012 / Finally I Finished My Website (review) For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 9:30am On Sep 15, 2009
Hello,

Comments and reviews for a new project needed.

Interswitch integration should be sorted out in the next couple of hours or preferably days but apart from that the bulk of the work has been done.

Content for policy and terms should be added later in the day.

Address is www.onspeedwestafrica.waresmasons.com
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 9:34am On Sep 15, 2009
ever heard of padding and,

i have no idea what the site is about
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 9:43am On Sep 15, 2009
Gamine:

ever heard of padding and,

Yes. What about it? Do you have a standard that you consider ok as regards padding?

Gamine:

i have no idea what the site is about

Quite understandable. I asked for comments or reviews.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 9:55am On Sep 15, 2009
Yeah thats the comment, how can we review a product
when we don't know what it does.
Review on what exactly?

Padding around your text, makes things more viewer-friendly
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 10:05am On Sep 15, 2009
Gamine:

Yeah thats the comment, how can we review a product
when we don't know what it does.
Review on what exactly?

I did not ask you to review the product which is onspeed. I asked for site review so stick to it or don't bother. I don't want to spend my time exchanging posts on irrelevant issues because I usually don't let sly remarks go unanswered.

I offer reviews here and I no better not to attempt to insult the intelligence of the poster by making the type of remarks you made the first time.

Gamine:

Padding around your text, makes things more viewer-friendly

I informed you that I know what padding means in my earlier post. I asked a question as regards what you consider adequate as regards padding.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by remoranger(m): 10:16am On Sep 15, 2009
well, gamine got a point with the padding there
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 10:21am On Sep 15, 2009
remoranger:

well, gamine got a point with the padding there

We must learn to communicate. Asking for reviews is not the same thing as asking for unnecessary insults.

I didn't notice the padding issue (which I have sorted out) but for her to ask if I have ever heard about padding was totally unwarranted and inappropriate.

Let me repeat this - asking for a review does not give anyone any right to insult anyone.

Personally, I don't insult people but when insulted I always respond in kind.

So, the issue is not whether she has a point with the padding issue but her insulting remarks which I believe I have responded to accordingly.

This is how we go about abusing people just because we believe we have the right to do so.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 10:26am On Sep 15, 2009
Dude,

what gives? Early morning and your already running hot.

Site===Product, ok.

Improve the color scheme, site is haphazard.

I asked a question as regards what you consider adequate as regards padding.

'padding around your text', doesnt answer this??
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 10:33am On Sep 15, 2009
Gamine:

Dude,

what gives? Early morning and your already running hot.

Site===Product, ok.

Improve the color scheme, site is haphazard.

'padding around your text', doesnt answer this??

1. Site is not equal to a product. A website is an online platform to sell, inform, offer feedback, share, educate etc

2. Thanks for the color scheme comment but in reality your opinion does not count on this one especially as color scheme improvement is highly subjective and certainly is not definitive.

3. Site is haphazard is another comment that is neither here nor there so I will ignore.

4. Padding around the text. Yes, I have done just that. But you have still not answered my question as regards what padding values are regarded as standard values.

You must understand that while you believe you have the right to use words anyhow you like others may choose to exercise such rights too.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Gamine(f): 11:21am On Sep 15, 2009
@.@

Site is not equal to a product.
lmao,

ok dude, i hear ya

what padding values are regarded as standard values.
i dont know if there's any standard, i usually work with my eyes
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 11:34am On Sep 15, 2009
Gamine:

@.@

lmao,

ok dude, i hear ya
i dont know if there's any standard, i usually work with my eyes

Now that the insults are done with I must say thank you for the padding comment, found that very useful.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by smartsoft(m): 1:20pm On Sep 15, 2009
Afam for me i will take what gammie said, nuffin to contribute about that's me. i don't even know where to start. the site kinda scanty
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 1:37pm On Sep 15, 2009
smartsoft:

Afam for me i will take what gammie said, nuffin to contribute about that's me. i don't even know where to start. the site kinda scanty

Scanty? What exactly is this supposed to mean? I guess the dictionary can help here.

I am sure you know by now that if you cannot say anything reasonable like "this feature is not working" or "this should not be here" then I will simply treat your comment as trash, no hard feelings.

I am not the type to tolerate vague remarks that are neither here nor there.

In any case, one fact is that if I give this project to every single person that has one or two comments to make about it I am sure that you all will still disagree with what you come up with because you usually believe that the only correct design is what you come up with yourself.

It is not compulsory to post a review here. Reviews or comments should be precise and not vague.

Gammie's comment about padding was accepted and I thanked her for it and the problem was corrected even though I had to comment on her remarks that were insulting.

So, if you have a comment that is straight forward state it, if all you have is "I don't like the background color", "improve on design" or "the site is kind of scanty" then hold your peace.

I am not asking for a review so that I do what you like or what you prefer.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 3:06pm On Sep 15, 2009
Afam:

As you know, the first thing I like to do on any site for review is check out the forms tongue

1) On the contact page, when you get an error, I see the pink portion at the top. All fine and dandy. However, on the "tell a friend" and "purchase step 1 of 2" and "login" pages, i don't see the same pink portion at the top, if I don't enter valid data. I think they should all behave consistently.

2) On the contact page, I entered the following for phone number "1111111111-111111-111" and "1111111111111111111" and got an error each time. I guess my question here is what is the correct format? Is it possible to tweak the code, for user convenience, to specify that? better yet, maybe below the phone number label, you add the right format in parenthesis.

3) I clicked "review" and "find out more" and "onspeed help" in the header but got a (blank) pop up each time.

4) I think at the very least, the home page deserves a friendly (human) face or two to give it a warm and fuzzy feeling.

5) Viewing source, I noticed that certain files (like js/base.js) were referenced more than once. This could have the adverse effect of slowing down page download time and/or causing code clashes as if a method is called (or worse yet, one of them is changed in the future), the code doesn't know which one to reference.

I would also consider moving those reference to within the HEAD tags, as opposed to within the body of the document, unless instructions call for it to be within the body of the document.

Thanks.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 3:33pm On Sep 15, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Afam:

As you know, the first thing I like to do on any site for review is check out the forms tongue

1) On the contact page, when you get an error, I see the pink portion at the top. All fine and dandy. However, on the "tell a friend" and "purchase step 1 of 2" and "login" pages, i don't see the same pink portion at the top, if I don't enter valid data. I think they should all behave consistently.

2) On the contact page, I entered the following for phone number "1111111111-111111-111" and "1111111111111111111" and got an error each time. I guess my question here is what is the correct format? Is it possible to tweak the code, for user convenience, to specify that? better yet, maybe below the phone number label, you add the right format in parenthesis.

3) I clicked "review" and "find out more" and "onspeed help" in the header but got a (blank) pop up each time.

4) I think at the very least, the home page deserves a friendly (human) face or two to give it a warm and fuzzy feeling.

5) Viewing source, I noticed that certain files (like js/base.js) were referenced more than once. This could have the adverse effect of slowing down page download time and/or causing code clashes as if a method is called (or worse yet, one of them is changed in the future), the code doesn't know which one to reference.

I would also consider moving those reference to within the HEAD tags, as opposed to within the body of the document, unless instructions call for it to be within the body of the document.

Thanks.

Thanks. Will look into the issues raised one after the other.

The design was based on specific instructions though.

All the functionality related stuff will be remedied as soon as they are confirmed.

Enjoy.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 3:59pm On Sep 15, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Cannot reproduce the same error. However, the top pink error comes after the form attempts to process the information entered while the field level errors are displayed in the validation of content entered.

yawa-ti-de:

I have sorted this out, thanks.

yawa-ti-de:

Client insists on having these links point to the parent site and wanted a pop up and not just page level redirecting.

yawa-ti-de:

As stated earlier, I don't have powers to do that, project was based on a strict specification. I am sure you know how my personal projects are structured, when it comes to clients one must respect their wishes even as we offer advice.

yawa-ti-de:

Can you point me to the page or pages with such multiple references?

Thanks for your time.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by yawatide(f): 4:24pm On Sep 15, 2009
Can you point me to the page or pages with such multiple references?

I take it you use includes so the portion below should occur on every page. The portion below is reference twice on the page: once at the top and the other at the middle. Again, you can search for "base.js"

<script src="Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="Scripts/popup.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link href="includes/skins/mxkollection3.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" />
<script src="includes/common/js/base.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="includes/common/js/utility.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script src="includes/skins/style.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="includes/tng/scripts/FormValidation.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="includes/tng/scripts/FormValidation.js.php" type="text/javascript"></script>
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 4:34pm On Sep 15, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

I take it you use includes so the portion below should occur on every page. The portion below is reference twice on the page: once at the top and the other at the middle. Again, you can search for "base.js"

Thanks. Have seen it and have sorted it out accordingly.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 17, 2009
gamine already sorted out the technical terms.but 3 EXTRA words, poor use of colors, the website aint unique, just looks like the basic php or so sites, ( design a new interface.in black nd white when u're satisfied chose ur colors.), font, blah blah , poor too, mosttimes not only functions matters but aesthetic quality too, ( i also get that ur tyn to make the website load faster but cmon.)
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 17, 2009
final site review, 2/10
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 5:38pm On Sep 17, 2009
seunnaija:

gamine already sorted out the technical terms.but 3 EXTRA words, poor use of colors, the website aint unique, just looks like the basic  php or so sites, ( design a new interface.in black nd white when u're satisfied chose your colors.), font, blah blah ,  poor too, mosttimes not only functions matters but aesthetic quality too, ( i also get that your tyn to make the website load faster but cmon.)

I should redesign in black and white then decide on colors? Thanks but I won't do that.

seunnaija:

final site review, 2/10

2/10? That is very encouraging coming from your type.

NB: I have 100% flexibility when developing projects I own and would only implement or develop what will help the projects. However, when developing projects for clients it must be understood that some clients who naturally insist on certain things whether you agree or not as long as the functionality is guaranteed.

I am making the point above so as not to be seen as defending projects or attacking those who say negative things about them. I also hope that we should understand the difference between criticisms whether negative or positive and insults just in case insults are responded to and people begin to wonder.

I have personal and business websites that are doing exactly what they were setup to do and that is what matters as regards web projects.

afamnnaji.com, justwebservices.com, justalternativepower.com, nigeriawebsiteblunders.com are either personal or business websites I developed from scratch and they are all doing well.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 17, 2009
by designing in bklack nd white, lol.i do not mean digitally.i mean on ur own draft layout, on paper or whateva.it helps sha,
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 17, 2009
" my type" well for info am just givn u a piece of professional advice.u might have deisgned a lot but u lack some things.cmon.nobody is perfect.i work as a designer at envato.if u dont already kno its a design firm, u can google it.and i have put some time into practise.so i think i kno whn i see some flaws.anyways i was just being truthful nd vry critical, u wont always get positive criticism u know,
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 9:36pm On Sep 17, 2009
seunnaija:

" my type" well for info am just givn u a piece of professional advice.u might have deisgned a lot but u lack some things.cmon.nobody is perfect.i work as a designer at envato.if u dont already kno its a design firm, u can google it.and i have put some time into practise.so i think i kno whn i see some flaws.anyways i was just being truthful nd vry critical, u wont always get positive criticism u know,

1. I also gave you an advice or better put made a professional statement.

2. I never claimed to be perfect, hence the need to ask for reviews and criticisms.

3. Congrats on your job as a designer at envato. I have seen the site and as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Apart from the fact that the bulk of the sites there are based on a free CMS none of the sites would fit into a custom requirement of some of the companies I develop software and applications for so while you claim to have put in time into practice trust me there is a place for every skill as I began using CMS when joomla was still mambo and stop using them when companies started asking for solutions that did what they wanted as regards specific features, functionalities and access control.

4. I never asked for positive criticisms. Do not manufacture something so that you can justify a position. Stick to the issue.

5. Based on what I have seen on where you work and what you guys have done with free content management systems I dare say that your 2/10 final review means next to nothing as you don't qualify to give any ratings on issues like this based on where you are coming from.

6. What you may see as wonderful design may be seen as nonsense by another person based on what the person expects or knows to be useful. While some designers would readily splash pictures of aeroplanes and actors on websites belonging to airlines and tooth paste companies those who are interested in using the web to make money or to simplify tasks would certainly do away with such design principles that make the most sense in the regular advertising media and not the web because the web speaks and understands a language - links, time, functionality etc.

Enjoy the weekend ahead.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 18, 2009
Na wa for this review o!
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 18, 2009
did i hear u say free content management.lmao.u really must be a joker sha, grin.well since allu want to do is trade grammar , fam, we have a web design tutorial site u wld need, i wasnt here to advertise or market before.but i just discovered u need more info than u already have, " free content management", lol
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 18, 2009
and truthfully i still dont like anything about that website. tongue.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 18, 2009
but u have to take this review thing easy to you, coz lik u refered to previous comments before mine.i avnt seen anyone insult you yet as far as i am concerned,
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Afam(m): 9:45am On Sep 18, 2009
seunnaija:

and truthfully i still dont like anything about that website. tongue.

Did anyone ask you to like the site?

What makes you think that your opinion matters?

I am ready to pay for a good design any day no matter the amount of money but the reality is that a lot of graphic artistes and designers like you don't even understand the web and you keep thinking that what works in the regular print media works on the web.

If you don't understand a platform you will continue to mix and splash colors everywhere and you and your team members will be the most frequent visitors to your websites.

The correctness or otherwise of any issue has nothing to do with your acceptance so don't pay too much attention to what you think especially when you obviously don't understand the terrain you have chosen to work in.

There are millions of websites out there and very very few are successful today. You may need to google to find out why lest you end up abandoning web design as others before you have done even when they thought they knew everything about web design.
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 18, 2009
mhen u stbborn.right now am just enjoy seeing u wail, grin, talk about reviewing a crappy .oops.website
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 18, 2009
i know the category u fall in though, the category of people who have designed lots and lots of nigerian websites and they think they have arrived, well miss or mr woteva ur, sex.wakeupcal.this is reality.and about liking it.i reperesent a " minority" of people who might likely use it.but tru mi opinion does not count.but that of millions of people who think like me will grin, lol
Re: Quick Review For A Website by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 18, 2009
and about visitors, on my company sites, lmao, well u "said" wrong, envato acquires at least 11 million hits a month across it's network of sites.FACT .chek it out yourself

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Blogging Practices That Scares Away Your Potential Visitors / Affiliate Marketing In Nigeria. The Beginners Complete Guide / Changing Nigeria IP Address To UK IP Address

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.