Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco (21672 Views)

Professional Certification Is Good But... / What Certification Is Good For History And International Studies Graduate. / The Business School Netherlands Free Training And Certification Is Here!!... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Nihilist: 2:02pm On Jul 22, 2016
linearity:

Not true, the difference between those vendors is just their syntax...If you good with working with Cisco devices, you will be able to configure any of the other vendors appliances.

Here in the US and at the expert level, people don't care....Juniper look for an expert can turn to a Cisco CCIE holder and hire him immediately if he/she meets the other criteria they are looking for over the guy with JNCIE....Cisco, Tellabs, Ericsson, Nokia, etc can also do the same.

I would be very grateful if you could point out what part of my post is NOT TRUE.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by linearity: 3:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
Nihilist:
There are too many networking vendors out there today - Cisco, Palo Alto, Juniper for example which makes commiting to a Cisco cert not as attractive as it used to be.

Microsoft on the other hand are thr global leaders in the desktop and server field.

Simply put, you might apply to a company who don't use Cisco hardware, but you can be sure that they have Microsoft products.

With this in mind, I would recommend starting of with an MCP/MCITP. Windows servers can actually be configured to serve as routers so you might find that a Microsoft cert is sufficient for your needs in thr early stages of your career.

CCNA is really meant for system admins who already have exposure to IT infrastructure. Network configurations tend to stay the same once configured so dedicated network engineers are usually only needed at data centres and colos.

Start with Microsoft. Reassess after a year in your 1st job. That's my advice.

Nihilist:

I would be very grateful if you could point out what part of my post is NOT TRUE.

Sorry, I was in a little bit of a haste and was typing from my phone...The highlighted portions above are want drawn my attention.

All vendors adhere to the same IETF and RFC standards, Cisco's implementation of BGP or OSPF or MPLS is not different from Juniper's implementation and Cisco does not have proprietary to IPsec, GRE, QinQ, etc; all these are all industry standard protocols that must run seamlessly across all vendor equipment and as such, if I can configure an inter-domain routing or MPLS using a Cisco devices, give me a Juniper device and I can do the exact same thing, the difference is really some thing like, you able to work on MS words on a PC and now you have a Mac in front of you, Yes, the look and how it displays things are different, but when you get down to it, MS word works the same way on PC, Mac, etc...TCP/IP that is the core of networking the same, different vendors just wrap it differently. If you are an expert in Cisco, you will just be fine configuring other vendor devices, I know this from experience.

Secondly, because license requirements and the expense, most companies have started moving away from MS Microsoft; everything you can do on a microsoft server or desktop can be done freely on an open source alternative, cutting done drastically on company's OPEX. The days when Microsoft use to dominate are gradually coming to end and they are now mostly seen on the desktop end of things.

Networks are evolving these days, read more on Open stack, SDN, NFV, SON, etc, they are becoming dynamic, gone are the days; where I configure a Router and it is set.

The concept of a window server as a Router should not even come into this conversation. We all did that in our labs as proof of concepts...but the truth is, the name Router is no longer was it use to be. Before now, we confined their functions to only be Routing (path selection) and forwarding (packet forwarding), which is essentially an OSI layer-3 function, but todays routes now operates at all seven OSI layers plus, they now do security, Intruction detection/prevention and a host of more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Qudbell(m): 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
Achorise:
Guy ,get the two, the two certification is better.
dude I also wanna get the two but u think sey these exams easy to write? I wrote CCNA for $295 which is #110,000. CCNP is #94,000 while the tutorial is #150,000 at allen avenue. I just want to know which one is better to start with so I can quickly see good job and fund the rest of the exams myself; ontime..

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Nihilist: 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
linearity:

Sorry, I was in a little bit of a haste and was typing from my phone...The highlighted portions above are want drawn my attention.

All vendors adhere to the same IETF and RFC standards, Cisco's implementation of BGP or OSPF or MPLS is not different from Juniper's implementation and Cisco does not have proprietary to IPsec, GRE, QinQ, etc; all these are all industry standard protocols that must run seamlessly across all vendor equipment and as such, if I can configure an inter-domain routing or MPLS using a Cisco devices, give me a Juniper device and I can do the exact same thing, the difference is really some thing like, you able to work on MS words on a PC and now you have a Mac in front of you, Yes, the look and how it displays things are different, but when you get down to it, MS word works the same way on PC, Mac, etc...TCP/IP that is the core of networking the same, different vendors just wrap it differently. If you are an expert in Cisco, you will just be fine configuring other vendor devices, I know this from experience.

Secondly, because license requirements and the expense, most companies have started moving away from MS Microsoft; everything you can do on a microsoft server or desktop can be done freely on an open source alternative, cutting done drastically on company's OPEX. The days when Microsoft use to dominate are gradually coming to end and they are now mostly seen on the desktop end of things.

Networks are evolving these days, read more on Open stack, SDN, NFV, SON, etc, they are becoming dynamic, gone are the days; where I configure a Router and it is set.

The concept of a window server as a Router should not even come into this conversation. We all did that in our labs as proof of concepts...but the truth is, the name Router is no longer was it use to be. Before now, we confined their functions to only be Routing (path selection) and forwarding (packet forwarding), which is essentially an OSI layer-3 function, but todays routes now operates at all seven OSI layers plus, they now do security, Intruction detection/prevention and a host of more.

There's nothing you said up there that invalidates a single word of my original post.

Indeed, the reference I made to configuring an MS server as a router already implies that most routing protocols are universally applied across all vendors.

My point, if you had taken the time to fully comprehend my original post, was that certifications are vendor specific, and that it would be better to initially certify with a vendor who has a massive presence across every sector of IT be it infrastructure, desktop or programming.

A Cisco cert shows that the owner knows cisco stuff. It is not a cert that proves the owner has a holistic understanding of the OSI model and what fits where. CCNA for example mainly focuses on L2/L3 config. It is not reasonable to expect a BMW mechanic to be able fix a Benz simply because both share an engine.

I will reiterate, you may turn up to a to a company that doesn't use Cisco hardware (like my current place of employment) but most places will definitely have need for someone who understands a windows product. That is just a fact.

A lot of the emerging tech you mentioned up there is only relevant to WAN implementations. It's highly unlikely that a Base station or datacentre, will employ an inexperienced rookie with a CCNA to manage their networks anyway, so most of the stuff you mentioned is actually irrelevant, especially when you consider that those concepts apply at architectural level.

Ive worked in the UK for a couple of years in support and project implementation roles and the rate of business change is slow. Many businesses only migrated from win xp to win 7 circa 2012/2013, and most are only just beginning to adopt win 10.

The basic infrastructure setup of a windows dhcp server farm+windows dns+active directory is not going away anytime soon. The complex routing stuff is outsourced to the datacentre which are usually run by a small team.

So it's extremely likely that his first job in IT won't be dealing directly with networking.

So I will finish this with my closing statement from my original post. I advise to guy to get an MS cert first and then after a year in his job, he should reassess.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by bigtt76(f): 4:03pm On Jul 22, 2016
Lol grin

twosquare:
see as I just dey look like lucozade.. All you people bamboozling us with IT terms.. God dey oo.. grin

Vexing to go learn these things......

Runs back, let me stick with my Literature before I start seeing Arabic in computer languages...
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by wayaa007(m): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
CCNP #94,000 ?? I believe it's a typo though...
as far as WAN networks are concerned, many devices are behind cisco. If you want to go into networking, and like down to the end Cisco is your best bet, let no one tell u Cisco isn't top hat again, juniper is trying, but Cisco is still "baba nla".
If you want to do servers, go for Microsoft.
the thing is OP, you have to ask yourself some questions
1. What do I want?
2. Where do I see myself in few years to come?
3. How well do I comprehend?
4. Can i do what does it take to get to the top of these fields?
5. What training would I need ?
If you can answer these questions, your choice would be easy to make.
Just look at the career prospects and see what is enticing to you.
Last but not the least, go for the knowledge and not the certificate.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Achorise: 5:12pm On Jul 22, 2016
[quo c b x,',';'' ''te author=Qud'""bell post=47787609] dude I also wanna get the two but u think sey these exams easy to write? I wrote CCNA for $295 which is #110,000. CCNP is #94,000 while the tutorial is #150,000 at allen avenue. I just want to know which one is better to start with so I can quickly see good job and fund the rest of the exams myself; ontime.. [/quote]I like your passion for success, I'm speaking in relation to my younger brother and his friend, he went through hard times to get those two certification. Today he is Switzerland, he want last 3 weeks, he got his first degree in Mauritius through NIIT.His friend had all the money but didn't get certified, but depended on only Bsc, gues what? He lost a Multinational corporations Job in Brazil , they requested for those two certificates, he had non, He is still crying over the lost opportunity.

My younger brother wrote those exams without our knowledge, from his hard earn petty job.my mum only supported him once.

I know you will make it.More grace

2 Likes

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Qudbell(m): 5:57pm On Jul 22, 2016
wayaa007:
CCNP #94,000 ?? I believe it's a typo though...
as far as WAN networks are concerned, many devices are behind cisco. If you want to go into networking, and like down to the end Cisco is your best bet, let no one tell u Cisco isn't top hat again, juniper is trying, but Cisco is still "baba nla".
If you want to do servers, go for Microsoft.
the thing is OP, you have to ask yourself some questions
1. What do I want?
2. Where do I see myself in few years to come?
3. How well do I comprehend?
4. Can i do what does it take to get to the top of these fields?
5. What training would I need ?
If you can answer these questions, your choice would be easy to make.
Just look at the career prospects and see what is enticing to you.
Last but not the least, go for the knowledge and not the certificate.
apparently, dont have any idea of server. I think ill write one basic microsoft exam and compare with ccna to know which I think should be the next step for me. I really thank each and every one who contributed to this thread. may we all make it.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2016
twosquare:
see as I just dey look like lucozade.. All you people bamboozling us with IT terms.. God dey oo.. grin

Vexing to go learn these things......

Runs back, let me stick with my Literature before I start seeing Arabic in computer languages...
Hahahahaha you couldn't hide yourself.
My question is this, I've done COMPTIA N+ and I found the networking part too fascinating that I proceeded to hands on knowledge at least to the level of CCNA, I mean I'm doing well on CCNA hands on.
I want to further along the Cisco path so I'm considering skipping CCNA studies to take off with CCNP. Is this a good move?

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Qudbell(m): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
Irishrena1:

My question is this, I've done COMPTIA N+ and I found the networking part too fascinating that I proceeded to hands on knowledge at least to the level of CCNA, I mean I'm doing well on CCNA hands on.
I want to further along the Cisco path so I'm considering skipping CCNA studies to take off with CCNP. Is this a good move?
CCNA is prerequisite to CCNP. moreover, it seems like u can skip it but DONT. start afresh and youll even learn more.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Take my advice

Do CISCO up to CCNP; have CCNP, CCSP and CCDP

Do Microsoft Also. MCSE ...blah blah

Get PMP and ITIL

Then you may land a job.

Let me tell you from experience - over 13 years. Certifications do not guarantee a job in Nigeria anymore.

Even with all that above, you'll be getting a 70k offer.

If you really want to feel rewarded in technology, once you have done all the above, fly out to Canada or UAE straight.

Nigerian employment really sucks!

Please try to get masters also when you're at it - that's if you still want to stick to Nigeria.
Cc: achorise, linearity, waya007, nihilist, presidentpikin etc
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2016
Qudbell:
CCNA is prerequisite to CCNP. moreover, it seems like u can skip it but DONT. start afresh and youll even learn more.
Thanks dear
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by linearity: 6:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
Irishrena1:

Not a good move, CCNA focus mainly on a lot of theories and technology jagons that you will need as foundation. While preparing for my CCNA, it took me a while to dipher between a broadcast domain and a collision domain....and CCNA was by far my hardest exam till date.

If you think, you have a good grasp of the CCNA topics, take a stab at the exam and see whats come...CCNP is now a specialization track, where you will be made to choose among CCNP Cloud, Collaboration, Data Center, Routing/Switching, security, etc....Though the Routing/Switch track, gives one a good spread....so you need a foundation like CCNA before venturing into CCNP....

plus passing a CCNA course is a prerequisite getting a CCNP certification i.e. you can take all pass all the exams needed to get the CCNP certification in your track, but you will not be issued that CCNP certification until you go back, take and pass a CCNA exam.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 7:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
linearity:

Not a good move, CCNA focus mainly on a lot of theories and technology jagons that you will need as foundation. While preparing for my CCNA, it took me a while to dipher between a broadcast domain and a collision domain....and CCNA was by far my hardest exam till date.

If you think, you have a good grasp of the CCNA topics, take a stab at the exam and see whats come...CCNP is now a specialization track, where you will be made to choose among CCNP Cloud, Collaboration, Data Center, Routing/Switching, security, etc....Though the Routing/Switch track, gives one a good spread....so you need a foundation like CCNA before venturing into CCNP....

plus passing a CCNA course is a prerequisite getting a CCNP certification i.e. you can take all pass all the exams needed to get the CCNP certification in your track, but you will not be issued that CCNP certification until you go back, take and pass a CCNA exam.
OK so if I will not be CCNP certified without the CCNA I guess its something I can't skip.
If my memory serves me right at his time I think a broadcast domain refers to a host which is seated in a private secure area where its data cannot get rammed into by the data of another host eg in layer 3 switched networks but, collision domains refer to hub based networks mostly?
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:10pm On Jul 22, 2016
Irishrena1:

Madmoseile, you really need CCNA its basic. You cannot compare Comptia N+ to it.

You must have a CCNA certification before you proceed to CCNP; CCSA before CCSP; CCDA before CCDP.

CCNA is so crucial. If you come up to me for an interview with CCNP certificate, o wouldn't even ask you any question other than a CCNA question. I'll ask you to do subnetting offhand.

The basic is very key girl. So do CCNA first, it will be easier for you since you already have N+ and hands on experience.

And like I said earlier, networking guys are not well remunerated in Nigeria, infact its the whole IT geeks. So by the time you are doing your CCNP, ensure you do either ITIL or PMP - its a lot of boost to have IT service management or project management experience.

Try to also know a lot about server management. Do MCSE and the likes.

I wish you the best wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 7:13pm On Jul 22, 2016
AkumahTalk:
No wahala, I feel you. The problem is that the size is in Gigs; too heavy to upload anywhere. You'd need an external hard drive. Another challenge will be your proximity cos I'm in PH.
I'm in PH to, and I have a hard drive. If you are willing to help others with your study resources pls I'll like to partake. Thanks
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2016
Irishrena1:

OK so if I will not be CCNP certified without the CCNA I guess its something I can't skip.
If my memory serves me right at his time I think a broadcast domain refers to a host which is seated in a private secure area where its data cannot get rammed into by the data of another host eg in layer 3 switched networks but, collision domains refer to hub based networks mostly?

Close but cigar grin grin

Let's leave textbook definitions for now. A broadcast domain is simply a unique network. Every network is a broadcast on its own, and has a broadcast address to communicate with all the devices on that network. Say like192.168.128.255/25 I hope you get grin

A collision domain on the other hand is a single path within a broadcast domain where more than one device can transmit at a single time. Its of course layer two as you said, so only layer two devices and wireless networks have collision domain issues. So you can have many collision domains in a single broadcast domain. Like many streets in a single city.

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:

Madmoseile, you really need CCNA its basic. You cannot compare Comptia N+ to it.

You must have a CCNA certification before you proceed to CCNP; CCSA before CCSP; CCDA before CCDP.

CCNA is so crucial. If you come up to me for an interview with CCNP certificate, o wouldn't even ask you any question other than a CCNA question. I'll ask you to do subnetting offhand.

The basic is very key girl. So do CCNA first, it will be easier for you since you already have N+ and hands on experience.

And like I said earlier, networking guys are not well remunerated in Nigeria, infact its the whole IT geeks. So by the time you are doing your CCNP, ensure you do either ITIL or PMP - its a lot of boost to have IT service management or project management experience.

Try to also know a lot about server management. Do MCSE and the likes.

I wish you the best wink

OK I will try to do CCNA first. Its just the money I was trying to dodge because the times are really hard.

I'd like to know more about this ITIL cause I dont know Nada a out it.

When you talk of PMP is it the same PMP that I did in the NYSC year because I've never seen any benefit come out of that cert? Please fam help with your answers to the boldened
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:33pm On Jul 22, 2016
Irishrena1:

OK I will try to do CCNA first. Its just the money I was trying to dodge because the times are really hard.

I usually challenge myself by doing subnetting off hand. I don't have an IP calculator.

I'd like to know more about this ITIL cause I dont know Nada a out it.

When you talk of PMP is it the same PMP that I did in the NYSC year because I've never seen any benefit come out of that cert? Please fam help with your answers to the boldened

ITIL is Information Technology Infrastructure Library. It is essentially IT services management course that teaches you IT project/services best practices. You actually news to read more to understand.
But simply put, I will employ someone with ITIL/PMP to be the manager of a CCNP or ORACLE or JAVA or WEBMASTER certification.

That's what took me a long time to learn - u just heard that from me pro bono.

The PMP you did in your NYSC, I don't know what it was like. But I doubt that you paid $555 to write the certification exam. I don't know if it has increased now.

You can either do PMP/PRINCE2.

***Modified ***

Let me just summarize everything. You may specialize in networking (CISCO/JUNIPER etc) or Database Administration ( Oracle) or Software Development ( Java/Python) or any other IT path, but you must have something that can make you a boss/ supervisor / manager.

And those are ITIL / PMP or PRINCE2 / CISA / CSS Blackbelt
. wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by wayaa007(m): 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:

Close but cigar grin grin

Let's leave textbook definitions for now. A broadcast domain is simply a unique network. Every network is a broadcast on its own, and has a broadcast address to communicate with all the devices on that network. Say like192.168.128.255/25 I hope you get grin

A collision domain on the other hand is a single path within a broadcast domain where more than one device can transmit at a single time. Its of course layer two as you said, so only layer two devices and wireless networks have collision domain issues. So you can have many collision domains in a single broadcast domain. Like many streets in a single city.
Vlans, Switches(L2) actually break collision domains, broadcast domains broken by routers (L3)
PMP Is the deal when it comes to management issues, no multinational will give you a project without PMP Cert, also, few multinational employ people without ITIL, so they both are important, very important

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:

ITIL is Information Technology Infrastructure Library. It is essentially IT services management course that teaches you IT project/services best practices. You actually news to read more to understand.
But simply put, I will employ someone with ITIL/PMP to be the manager of a CCNP or ORACLE or JAVA or WEBMASTER certification.

The PMP you did in your NYSC, I don't know what it was like. But I doubt that you paid $555 to write the certification exam. I don't know if it has increased now.

***Modified ***

Let me just summarize everything. You may specialize in networking (CISCO/JUNIPER etc) or Database Administration ( Oracle) or Software Development ( Java/Python) or any other IT path, but you must have something that can make you a boss/ supervisor / manager.

. wink
So those PMP people just scammed us of our allowee embarassed. Chai! There is God o. OK I've learnt a lot of new things today. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 7:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
wayaa007:

Vlans, Switches(L2) actually break collision domains, broadcast domains broken by routers (L3)
PMP Is the deal when it comes to management issues, no multinational will give you a project without PMP Cert, also, few multinational employ people without ITIL, so they both are important, very important
What's the training cost estimate of PMP and ITIL please? And somebody just said the certification fee for PMP is about $555, what about ITIL
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Nihilist: 8:13pm On Jul 22, 2016
Irishrena1:

I personally would advise you to go along the Microsoft route first. Perhaps a windows 8 or 10 cert first, followed by a server 2003 and/or server 2012.

The reason I suggest this route is because a network admin theoretically should have a full view of the entire IT estate.

Changes made at network level can affect the entire business. Decisions like setting replication frequency between domain controllers, or where to place your VPN servers require not just an understanding of networks but how the networks are use, especially when you consider that overall available bandwidth is limited.

A seasoned CCNA should theoretically be able to architect a network solution on demand.

Obviously Nigerian system works slightly different and requires a CCNA for 1st line roles so that's also a factor, but if you have the chance to learn Microsoft stuff first, then please do so...perhaps followed by some vittusliazion vendor(hyper-v is covered by Microsoft training but VMWARE is currently the market leader), THWN look at CCNA and CCNA security.

By this point you would havr had a solid foundation of IT infrastructure from top to bottom. Then you can really make an informed decision as to what sector you want to specialise in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by andonajnr(m): 9:01pm On Jul 22, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:

***Modified ***

. wink
Is it suffice to say that an MBA could replace a PMP when it comes to management?
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by SaintUlot: 9:34pm On Jul 22, 2016
Start making money directly into your bank account, check my signature and get started
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:02pm On Jul 22, 2016
andonajnr:

Is it suffice to say that an MBA could replace a PMP when it comes to management?

Well it depends. But I think it almost does.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Lacomb(m): 7:35am On Jul 23, 2016
Qudbell:
apparently, dont have any idea of server. I think ill write one basic microsoft exam and compare with ccna to know which I think should be the next step for me. I really thank each and every one who contributed to this thread. may we all make it.

You don't learn by writing an exam/certification oh! Get a good laptop, get vmware or hyper-v and install the OS, get ur hands dirty, that's the way to learn. A core i3 laptop would allow you do hyper-v with little trouble. During the days of server 2003 (God bless it's soul, though I still have one running in my org) you can just install 32bit version on any laptop and you are good to go.

Set up a lab and LEARN and LEARN before taking any exam, because after the exams, you hardly go back to it, if you pass and in most interview them go just say you Sabi abi, Oya take do make we see!!! Google (ifa olokun) is ur friend oh!

4 Likes

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by harlyon(m): 10:01am On Jul 23, 2016
Both certs are kool.it all depends what you want to major at. If you want to major on Networking,,,,CCNA is your best bet if you want to major on servers Microsoft MCSA is your best bet. The choice is yours
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by linearity: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
Irishrena1:

You are correct, a broadcast domain is a layer 3 terminology, denoting commonly accessible hosts without crossing a routing interface/port or without the need to route, while collision domain is a layer 2 terminology, denoting commonly accessible hosts without crossing a switch interface/port and as you indicated all the interfaces/ports on a hub are in a single collision domain, whereas each interface/port in a switch is in it's own collision domain.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Irishrena1(f): 9:45pm On Jul 23, 2016
linearity:

You are correct, a broadcast domain is a layer 3 terminology, denoting commonly accessible hosts without crossing a routing interface/port or without the need to route, while collision domain is a layer 2 terminology, denoting commonly accessible hosts without crossing a switch interface/port and as you indicated all the interfaces/ports on a hub are in a single collision domain, whereas each interface/port in a switch is in it's own collision domain.
Kai you too much. Take five there. I was beginning to wonder whether I smoked shit
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Cutehector(m): 8:15pm On Jul 24, 2016
Irishrena1:

Kai you too much. Take five there. I was beginning to wonder whether I smoked shit
My warm Greetings to you missy, I trust ur Sunday went well smiley.

Just as I promised to remind you earlier on, the Mr Nairaland voting will commence tommorow by 9am.

I want to appreciate you once again for agreeing to vote falconey. Thanks so much
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Franklyn4: 10:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
I built an ether channel and enabled IP-ROUTE , where my core and distribution layers are L3 switches. pls how do i make the ports of my core interfacing my distribution switches to be in passive mode . the idea is that i dont want my distribution layer to participate in my routing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / These 5 Innocent/casual Habits Will Get You Fired From Your Job / He Keep To His Promise And Helped My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.