Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre (6065 Views)

Ikoyigate: DO NOT Make Public Your Findings, Former Minister Warns Osinbajo!!! / "Evidence Emerges Of Mass Burials After Arbaeen Massacre Of Shia In Kano"- IHRC / "IHRC Refers Nigeria Army (Zaria) Massacre To International Criminal Court" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Elbinawi: 4:41am On Jul 21, 2016
PRESS RELEASE - Nigeria: IHRC cautiously welcomes inquiry findings into Nigeria massacre

IHRC welcomes the recommendation of the judicial commission of inquiry into the massacre of hundreds of members of Nigeria's Islamic Movement last December that the general behind the savage attack be prosecuted.

The panel’s report, which was submitted to Kaduna state governor Nasir el-Rufai last Friday, is yet to be made public but it is reported to be highly damning of the General Officer Commanding the Nigerian Army’s 1st Division, Adeniyi Oyebade.

According to the Nigerian press which has obtained a copy of the report, it accuses the general of orchestrating the military operation outside the chain of command.

A representative of the Kaduna State government told the commission of inquiry that 347 bodies were handed over by the army for a secret mass burial. But despite the evidence, the army claimed it killed only seven IMN members who blocked a public road and attempted to assassinate Tukur Buratai, the chief of army staff who was passing through the area. The army maintained the line that troops only used force after the IMN put Mr. Buratai’s life in danger.

IHRC has evidence that the IMN lost more than a thousand members in the attack that took place between December 12-14 in Zaria.

The leader of the imn, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, and his wife Zeenat were arrested by soldiers during the operation and remain in custody without charge.

It is disappointing that the report holds neither the federal government nor the army leadership responsible for the massacre blaming it on a 'rogue' general. This effectively lets them off the hook.

Finding that the military employed disproportionate force to quell what it calls civil unrest seems like an attempt to find a scapegoat, a rogue operator, for what was essentially a pre-planned massacre.

According to eyewitnesses who have spoken with IHRC, the military assault appears to have been pre-planned, highly organised and targeted. During their orgy of violence soldiers targeted the leadership of the IMN and its symbols. They destroyed the Hussainiyyah Baqiyatullah which served as the movement's headquarters, demolished the premises housing the tomb of Sheikh Zakzaky's mother and smashed up graves belonging to the victims of another army massacre in July 2014 which led to the killing of 34 civilians. By all accounts it was a well-organised attempt to snuff out the IMN.

The panel said it was able to confirm the deaths of 349 people, including a soldier. But it made clear it lacked the cooperation of military officials to establish the actual number of those killed.

General Oyebade and other yet-to-be-disclosed officers who participated in the operation “should be brought to trial before a court of competent jurisdiction”, says the report.

The army has stubbornly refused to cooperate with the inquiry, something for which it was criticised by the commission.

The mass burial of victims by the state authorities also prevented the commission from establishing the exact causes of death. The panel further found the state's failure to segregate corpses according to their gender breached Islamic traditions and other relevant burial laws of Kaduna State and also Rule 115 of the Geneva Convention.

While IHRC has always maintained that the judicial inquiry was flawed and biased we nevertheless welcome its acknowledgement that a massacre indeed took place and that it was planned and executed by a section of the Nigerian military. It is a first step in establishing the truth and getting accountability and justice for the victims.

IHRC would like to reiterate its call for the Chief of Army Staff Tukutur Buratai and the state authorities in Kaduna to be investigated for their role in the massacre and for the authorities to immediately release all IMN members detained in the assault.

We also call for an independent investigation into reports of depraved violence during the massacre with people being burnt alive or being hacked to death with machetes and knives.  Acts of sordid sexual violence have been reported including cases of rape against women affiliates of the IMN. A 14-year old female witness told IHRC that the military shot her in her private parts when she resisted attempts by soldiers to rape her. Some women reportedly had their breasts cut off and others were deliberatelly shot in the pelvic region damaging their uteri.

Notes to editors:

Last March IHRC called on the International Criminal Court to to open a preliminary inquiry into the December 2015 massacre.

Our report which we submitted to the ICC can be found here

For media enquiries or further details please email nadia@ihrc.org or call +44 20 8904 4222 or +44 7958 522196

https://elbinawi./2016/07/20/nigeria-ihrc-cautiously-welcomes-inquiry-findings-into-nigeria-massacre/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Nobody: 5:00am On Jul 21, 2016
Booked. Do not trespass on this private property

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by OduduwaYoruba: 5:03am On Jul 21, 2016
Elbinawi:

The panel’s report, which was submitted to Kaduna state governor Nasir el-Rufai last Friday, is yet to be made public but it is reported to be highly damning of the General Officer Commanding the Nigerian Army’s 1st Division, Adeniyi Oyebade.

A representative of the Kaduna State government told the commission of inquiry that 347 bodies were handed over by the army for a secret mass burial. But despite the evidence, the army claimed it killed only seven IMN members who blocked a public road and attempted to assassinate Tukur Buratai, the chief of army staff who was passing through the area. The army maintained the line that troops only used force after the IMN put Mr. Buratai’s life in danger.

What was their motive for block Mr Buratai. This also should be investigated.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by herzern(m): 8:28am On Jul 21, 2016
The person above me needs to be checked.....just because Burutai's convoy was blocked......it is justifiable to kill hundreds of people

I heard the killings are religion motivated but nevertheless I stand against killing people.......killing a man means you have killed a nation....

And if yhu watch the video....yhu see kids been shot.......that's abnormal for any Military

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by veekid(m): 8:28am On Jul 21, 2016
Good news?
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by countsparrow: 8:30am On Jul 21, 2016
7... 349... who do we believe now

your look after using i pass my neighbor generator for 3 months

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by sexychocho(f): 8:31am On Jul 21, 2016
Kk
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Alexas58: 8:31am On Jul 21, 2016
Nice news to start up the morning with...todays my birthday,show me some love!!..

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by princeakins(m): 8:32am On Jul 21, 2016
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by 400billionman: 8:32am On Jul 21, 2016
The massacre is wrong.

But for someone to see a military convoy and stand in its way is foolhardy.

Talkless a motorcade of a COAS..
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by fsnders: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2016
Do it with justice and without fear or favor
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Deen77: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2016
OduduwaYoruba:

Blocking the road now lead to massacre of over 347, what are you justifying.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by ddippset(m): 8:34am On Jul 21, 2016
RIP to the dead. They should never have been killed. But they should have been thoroughly flogged for thinking they could block the way of the COAS or any other citizen for that matter. Thats how roads are blocked sometimes on fridays, even major roads in the country. Sanity must be brought back to this country.
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Young03(m): 8:35am On Jul 21, 2016
what about those killed at Onitsha and asaba?

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by felixfred: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2016
veekid:
Good news?
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Junior66(m): 8:39am On Jul 21, 2016
Buhari is a saint yet this sort of incidence happened under his supervision with the military actively hindering investigation still under his watch.
IMN leader and his wife are in prison without trial yet our President is a saint??
Our president is truelly a Fulani man. Wickedness is their stock in trade.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by temptnow: 8:40am On Jul 21, 2016
Even Buhari is a murderer

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by WODA: 8:42am On Jul 21, 2016
The fact that you command a unit or whatever does not warrant you to take laws into your hands. Nice move.
they blocked road.
you shout fire them....

Kirikiphobia awaits you

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 21, 2016
herzern:
The person above me needs to be checked.....just because Burutai's convoy was blocked......it is justifiable to kill hundreds of people

I heard the killings are religion motivated but nevertheless I stand against killing people.......killing a man means you have killed a nation....

And if yhu watch the video....yhu see kids been shot.......that's abnormal for any Military

If you faithfully answer the question righteously or ethically, you would see the reason why the shiite are not suppose to die like a fool.
Their act of blocking a federal road is more or less like insubordination and sense of anarchy, and regarding any none members as nonentity. I have once heard a story how these shiite occupy a Secondary school for almost a week in Pambegua village, Kaduna North without permission preventing student from their regular activities, this happen in 2013 or 2014.

Do you think if they had pave a small way for him to pass, are we going to be telling stories that touches that touch. The ack of blocking the road is premeditated, reason being the 2 to 3 years before one of El-Zakzaky son or member was killed as a result of them blocking road like this, they just wanted to be daring the millitary.

I dont support extra judicial killing BUT WHAT IF they had pave way for COAS to pass?

CC: Deen77

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by neocortex: 9:50am On Jul 21, 2016
JesusWillSaveME:

If you faithfully answer the question righteously or ethically, you would see the reason why the shiite are not suppose to die like a fool.
Their act of blocking a federal road is more or less like insubordination and sense of anarchy, and regarding any none members as nonentity. I have once heard a story how these shiite occupy a Secondary school for almost a week in Pambegua village, Kaduna North with permission preventing student from their regular activities, this happen in 2013 or 2014.

Do you think if they had pave a small way for him to pass, are we going to be telling stories that touches that touch. The ack of blocking the road is premeditated, reason being the 2 to 3 years before one of El-Zakzaky son or member was killed as a result of them blocking road like this, they just wanted to be daring the millitary.

I dont support extra judicial killing BUT WHAT IF they had pave way for COAS to pass?

CC: Deen77

This your post exemplifies the difference between literacy and education.
Why will you try to justify the killing of 347 human just because the
road was blocked when one chief of army staff is passing ?

SMH

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Laid2001: 10:08am On Jul 21, 2016
If truly, 347 bodies were secretly buried with evidence, then the inquiry must visit and excavate the burial spot to verify. Only if this is done could they have been able to proof the massacre.!

Abi, 347 bodies can be hidden in a single grave?. You will need many trailer loads to even transport the bodies for burial. Yet there is no single photo or video evidence to buttress all those large numbers being bandied around by Shiites and their apologists.!!
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Headlesschicken(m): 10:08am On Jul 21, 2016
undecided What is wrong wiv d north? Hmm na so so kill kill dem know,our Nigerian military obviously have no sense,dey kill dia brodas molest dia sisters n rape dia mothers... Baboons!
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 21, 2016
herzern:

shut up Mr man. take ur opinion and shove it down ur arse.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by zicoraads: 10:49am On Jul 21, 2016
Young03:
what about those killed at Onitsha and asaba?
Blame your Governors in the region. It was a governor who set up this committee and not the Federal government. What is stopping your governors from doing same?!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Lamasta(m): 12:23pm On Jul 21, 2016
How long shall they kill our brothers while we stand aside and look, won`t you help to sing this SONG OF FREEDOM.............
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by idupaul: 12:29pm On Jul 21, 2016
OduduwaYoruba:

You sound like they planned to block Buratai. .their religious procession and his opulent convoy met coincidentally at a road . The army didn't have any excuse to react the way they did ..tthose involved will never escape their day in the hague
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
neocortex:

This your post exemplifies the difference between literacy and education.
Why will you try to justify the killing of 347 human just because the road was blocked when one chief of army staff is passing ?
SMH

Simple Answer to you question is due to their sense of anarchy and stupidity, in which I believed yourself dare not try it with a mopol

We all watched the video how the COAS himself was begging for passage. What would do to justify shiite action in my example below
I have once heard a story how these shiite occupy a Secondary school for almost a week in Pambegua village, Kaduna North with without permission preventing student from their regular activities, this happen in 2013 or 2014.

Back at you:
1=> Why would a group of people wanted to trample over others right to use of road and COAS for that matter.
2=> What stop them from paving a small way for him to pass and avoid conflict, if at all they are in a peaceful gathering
3=> Why did they refuse to give passage despite the fact that he tried to pacify them, when there is no between then before

I think its you that need to revalidate your literacy and education without prejudice, You can take another WAEC for Civic Education or something

See quote from my post earlier
[size=16pt]I dont support extra judicial killing BUT WHAT IF they had pave way for COAS to pass?[/size]
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by vedaxcool(m): 12:49pm On Jul 21, 2016
OP is a paid Iranian shrill who routinely promotes its sectarian agenda in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by neocortex: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
JesusWillSaveME:

Simple Answer to you question is due to their sense of anarchy and stupidity, in which I believed yourself dare not try it with a mopol

We all watched the video how the COAS himself was begging for passage. What would do to justify shiite action in my example below

Back at you:
1=> Why would a group of people wanted to trample over others right to use of road and COAS for that matter.
2=> What stop them from paving a small way for him to pass and avoid conflict, if at all they are in a peaceful gathering
3=> Why did they refuse to give passage despite the fact that he tried to pacify them, when there is no between then before

I think its you that need to revalidate your literacy and education without prejudice, You can take another WAEC for Civic Education or something

See quote from my post earlier

Do you know what the white racists said ?
"I am not a racist but there is nothing wrong keeping a black slave"

You made a very dumb post then you
attempted to exonerate yourself by including a disclaimer.
Only a fool will fall for your gimmick.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by teemy(m): 3:15pm On Jul 21, 2016
JesusWillSaveME:

We all watched the video how the COAS himself was begging for passage. What would do to justify shiite action in my example below .....

And yet the part where the actual assault took place was carefully edited out. At least let the army provide the part where they said the COAS was attacked.

In all ramifications the masaccre of those two days should never have happened if proper rules of engagement and proportionate use of force was used.
Re: Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 21, 2016
neocortex:

You made a very dumb post then you
attempted to exonerate yourself by including a disclaimer.
Only a fool will fall for your gimmick.

You are Just being hypocritical in your response, instead of you addressing my questions, you are coming for my jugular.
My questions are not emotional and not personal so I will take you to be intelligent if you answer the questions

CC: teemy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Ojukwu Laughing And Hugging A Biafran Old Woman / How I Was Offered 2 Billion And The Position Of Deputy Governor To Defect To APC / Obi's Picture That Is Setting The Internet Ablaze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.