Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,560 members, 7,847,323 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:23 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! (65310 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by dayokanu(m): 2:31am On Sep 29, 2009
The wtc was still standing in my lifetime compared to assanal that haven't won since the last ice age
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by follypimpi(m): 2:33am On Sep 29, 2009
dayokanu:

The wtc was still standing in my lifetime compared to assanal that haven't won since the last ice age

DK u just don't care @ all despite people cursing u all the time,I hope your GF aint reading all these abuses,she just might dump u,u got no NL credibility.
  grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by dayokanu(m): 2:47am On Sep 29, 2009
She would be worried if she is aversed to the truth knowing how clueless gayyners are, no one is surprised. Instead of gayyners to worry about how to win a trophy, they blame dayokanu for their perpetual failure
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by dipo2much(m): 3:07am On Sep 29, 2009
dayokanu:

I'll borrow sauron's favourite adj here. This dayokanu guy is a simpleton.

I'm really disspointed with some guys who have done thousand's of post,always saying the same nonsense in different words.

This homo called dayokanu has nearly 10,000 posts and he is always talking about arsenal. Pathetic kid wasting his life. Fab keeps earning millions per

week,unaware of detracting wimps like dayokanu who cant afford his shoe lace
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by dayokanu(m): 3:52am On Sep 29, 2009
Wonders would never end, IT even talks Thank God for technology that makes IT to type on a forum
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by slimshay(m): 7:32am On Sep 29, 2009
@Debosky, i think you are being unfair to Diaby, i guess perception isnt doing him any favours either, i know people who cos of last season's performance will never see any good in Song. I hope this is not one of those cases. I saw the individual match stats cant remmeber where, diaby attempted the most tackles, won the most ratio and had a better pass ratio in our midfield on the day and that is fact. I also saw the game, imo, he wasnt wasteful. How then can you say he was below par. The left side was shaky as Clichy continues to search for top form, Diaby moved over to plug it, still he was present in central midfield at times. Please give the boy credit when it is due.

@ Donkeyanu, if you dont have anything meaningful to bray, then dont bray nothing.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by dipo2much(m): 8:04am On Sep 29, 2009
dayokanu:

Wonders would never end, IT even talks Thank God for technology that makes IT to type on a forum

Is that all you got? I take it you are one 13 year old,with thinking faculty is so limited. You are a waste of effort,an slowpoke that should have been

flushed down the pit. Even at 13 you should be able defend all monies spent on you.

Someone,pls open a thread for kids. So that donkeykanu can play arround without getting himself on fire
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by Gooner2(m): 8:53am On Sep 29, 2009
Yesterday morning, the club released it’s financial results for the year ended May 31, 2009. The highlights are as shown below.

•Group turnover increased to £313.3 million (2008 ‐ £223.0 million) reflecting income generated from cup competitions and property sales.

•Match day revenue was increased to £100.1 million (2008 ‐ £94.6 million), mainly as a result of progress to the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup semi‐finals.

•Operating profits (before depreciation and player trading) in the football business were £62.7 million (2008 ‐ £59.6 million)

•The completion of sale of 208 (2007 – Nil) private apartments at Highbury Square contributed £88.0 million of revenue (2008 ‐ £15.2 million) and boosted the operating profit from property activities to £7.8 million (2008 – Nil).

•Profit after tax of £35.2 million (2008 ‐ £25.7 million) was a record for the Group.

•Since the end of the financial year there have been a number of further positive developments in relation to the Group’s Highbury Square project. Of the 655 private apartments in the development, sales have now completed on 445 units with a cumulative sales revenue value of £172.4 million. The balance on the bank loan used to fund the project has been substantially reduced to £47 million and agreement has been reached to refinance the loan and extend its term to December 2010.

What else can I say? Business is Booming! It is however important to note as CEO Ivan Gazidis points out that the although financial success of the club forms the basis for on-pitch success of the team, the club only exists because of the football side of the business as progression to the simi-finals of the FA Cup and Champions’ League last season contributed tremendously to the brilliant results achieved.

He was also quick to point out that all profits are reinvested into the club and there are no shareholder dividends. Significant investments include the record signing of Andrey Arshavin as well as the acquisition of Thomas Vermaelen in the summer. The long term futures of 8 first team players was also recently secured and this is an ongoing process. Quoting him;

“The manager will only invest in players that have quality and will add value to the squad. He won’t spend just because he’s got the money.”

“Clearly, the Club already has a first class stadium, an excellent world‐wide reputation and outstanding core support. Football is a hugely competitive and fast moving business and we must ensure that Arsenal is not just keeping pace but setting the pace, both on and off the field. The Club is superbly positioned for the future and I am tremendously excited about the opportunities we have ahead of us.”

We are fairly resilient on the football side as despite the freezing of ticket prices, there was also a slight increase in retail and commercial revenues which is commendable given the harsh economic climate. The outlook for the current year is tremendously optimistic and with the addition of new personnel to the Senior Management Team on the business and commercial side, our financial future looks bright.

With UEFA and the Premier League breathing down the necks of clubs to shape up their finances, I’m glad that the club has an efficient business model which is essentially self sustaining on the football side without the recourse to external funds. For instance, in the event that Highbury Square should make a loss and the development on Queensland Road should stall, it will in no way affect the football side of the business. However profits, (which seem already certain) will automatically be ploughed back into the club. This I say is a win-win situation!

I know that there are many who say that the club is run as business and not as a football club and while I admit that the first part is true, the second part is equally as true as these financials have proven that the driving force behind our success is the performances of our team on the pitch. The mere fact that the shareholders do not receive dividends is an indication of their thinking that the football not profit comes first. All in all, I am positive that we are in good hands and hopeful that in the not too far future, our prudence will be rewarded with the ultimate success in the League or cups.

Till then, there’s only one song we should be singing; it’s In Arsene We Trust! The manager has also been quick express his pleasure at the results. He said;

“I am encouraged by the fact that the financial results are good because on my side I try to contribute to that. I am quite proud that I work in a company that is in a strong financial situation. I have always worked in clubs which make money and I would not feel that I do my job well if we lost money at the end of the season.”

“However the sporting side is always the most important thing. To be completely happy you have to do well on the sporting side but never, no matter what happens, can it be accepted from any manager that to do that you put your club in trouble."

Arsenal Chairman Peter Hill-Wood also closed the door on any prospects of a rights issue as proposed by Red and White Holdings. He said;

“In the final analysis I believe it boils down to a decision about whether it is appropriate to raise money from shareholders to purchase registrations and pay the wages of footballers. “This is not something that Arsenal has ever done previously in its history and it would be at odds with our ethos of running the club as a business which is self-sustaining and pays its own way in the world."

In some shocking news yesterday, Denilson has been ruled out for two months with a back injury suffered during the game against Man City on September 12 while Nicklas Bendtner will miss tonights Champions’ League clash against Olympiacos after crashing his car on Sunday. Fortunately, he only suffered some minor bruising and was advised not to train yesterday.

Talking tactics now, with the absence of Denilson, it seems clearer now that Diaby is set to get an extended run in midfield. While I prefer to see him stuck up front just behind the strikers, I admit he clearly has abilities and all he needs to do is to be more decisive on the ball and use his body size more often in play apart from during set pieces. That said, the only change I forsee ahead of tonight’s game is either Eboue or Eduardo on the right.

Olympiakos will be missing attacking midfielder Luciano Galletti and striker Matt Derbyshire, who are both injured and I suggest it might affect the way they line up against Arsenal tonight.

The game is live at 19:45 on Hi Soccer in Nigeria.

Hasta Mañana…Victoria Concordia Crescit.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by Gooner2(m): 8:57am On Sep 29, 2009
~Gooner~:

Having some issues with the site this morning.

I think I may have been attacked by dayokanu and a bunch of obertans! grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by HNIC(m): 12:19pm On Sep 29, 2009
Vito, Vito Vito

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by mukina2: 12:24pm On Sep 29, 2009
. . . . is the way forward kiss kiss kiss
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by HNIC(m): 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2009
Bendtner's lucky escape.

The Wrecked car

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by slimshay(m): 1:08pm On Sep 29, 2009
chei, bendtner, werin do u? shocked shocked shocked, if lastma catch you ehn!! Hope he's fine in a jiffy.
Really sad bout dennilson's injury tho, d boy's coming through, run of game helps confidence lots.
I see evrybody is still caught up in the young godfather's euphoria. Abeg no too much hype oh, lets not kill him like the english finished pennant's career!!! Young vito, more power to your gloves.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by mukina2: 1:11pm On Sep 29, 2009
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by slimshay(m): 1:14pm On Sep 29, 2009
mukina, na wish one be d eyesballs oh, werrin do u?!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by A40(m): 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2009
Am i dreamin? Whats all this noise been made about Diaby? He was arguably the worst player on red and white last Saturday! He sucked so bad that even the commentators wondered why Diaby was being pimped like a two dollar ho by Danny Murphy (who's about half his size i could almost swear i saw him in chinchilla fur with a hat to match)anyone who saw the match on Hitv would attest to that.
He's been at Arsenal since 06 and is yet to prove he is more than just a squad member! Even younger players like Song,Walcott,Nasri and maybe even a Denilson have somewhat proven their relevance.Diaby has not

Pls when is Nasri coming back? I'm tired of seeing that diabolical fella
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by allboyz(m): 3:20pm On Sep 29, 2009
did i hear someone mentioned Prince Samir Nasri shocked grin ? OMG . . . .when is this dude coming back? its over 6 wks na. . .

Diaby is a waste!. . .i just dont know why AW has to play him wk in wk out. . .its crazy!!!!

anyways ma predos
ARS - 4
OLY - 1
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by duduspace(m): 3:46pm On Sep 29, 2009
A-40:

Am i dreamin? Whats all this noise been made about Diaby? He was arguably the worst player on red and white last Saturday! He sucked so bad that even the commentators wondered why Diaby was being pimped like a two dollar ho by Danny Murphy (who's about half his size i could almost swear i saw him in chinchilla fur with a hat to match)anyone who saw the match on Hitv would attest to that.
He's been at Arsenal since 06 and is yet to prove he is more than just a squad member! Even younger players like Song,Walcott,Nasri and maybe even a Denilson have somewhat proven their relevance.Diaby has not

Pls when is Nasri coming back? I'm tired of seeing that diabolical fella

This is a big lie, I went to a Fulham fan site the day after the match (just to see if I had a biased appraisal of the game) and the general consensus there was that our 3 best players on the day (after The keeper of course) were RVP, Song and Diaby. Have you ever for once wondered why our defensive frailties of last season ended with the emergence of Song and Diaby in MF? go back and watch the match against Hull at the Emirates last season when the lightweight MF of Denilson and Cesc were overpowered. Go back and watch our 17 game unbeaten run after our 3-0 loss to Man City and you will understand exactly what I'm talking about.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by mukina2: 3:58pm On Sep 29, 2009
slimshay:

mukina, na wish one be d eyesballs oh, werrin do u?!

na bendtner's crash oh shocked
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by duduspace(m): 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2009
mukina2:

na bendtner's crash oh shocked
no mind the silly boy, e wan emulate Hamilton.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by dayokanu(m): 4:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
Bendtner, Sorry Adebayorrrrrrrrrrrr

See picture for what happened to Bendtner

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by A40(m): 4:43pm On Sep 29, 2009
@duduspace
Are you Katt Williams in disguise?

First and Foremost i would take opinions of experienced footie commentators over that of fans everyday of the week.

Secondly. . Never ever ever mention Diaby & Defense in the same sentence cos even Cesc does more defending than Diaby does

Thirdly your example of the Hull game is a uber-poor one! Their goals came from a long range strike and a set-piece so i wonder what difference the diabolical one would have made there,infact we owned that game from start to finish and only our patented wasteful style allowed Hull to do a smash & grab on us.
Stop referring to that annoying 17 game run it didnt win us shyte do u know we drew about 4 straight games in that run?3 at home and against sub-par opposition too? Ok how about the crucial run of games we lost at the tail end of last season? Against Chelsea in the F.A semis Diaby was undoubtedly the worst player on the pitch

Besides his occasional flash in the pan performances he is one player whose inclusion in the team is somewhat mind-boggling he lacks defensive steel and tackling ability of a DM,he is not creative enough to be a Cesc,too slow to be a winger and he definitely cannot drive a team like an Essien,Gerard or Paddy V would do.
So please tell me his use other than an extra body in the squad or as he's been aptly described "a luxury player"
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by A40(m): 5:07pm On Sep 29, 2009
Ogheneme!! Some peeps are even listing height as a justification for his inclusion in the midfield. . .Riddle me this! How tall are Xavi,Iniesta,Busquets,Keita,Gattuso? How tall is Arshavin? Scholes,Giggs,Fletcher,Carrick or Hargreaves? Height is not a factor in midfield in fact the longer your legs the harder it is to make clean tackles or even throw that defense-splittin pass
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by edoyad(m): 5:35pm On Sep 29, 2009
^^^
The thing is that if we fail to see things as they really are in the real world of football then we might as well be dreaming.
Any gooner harbouring the idea that we can win the ENGLISH premier league with those midgets we have in midfield must share a flat with Peter Pan. Does it occur to anyone that the last time we won the league we had Henry, Bergkamp and Pires well over 6ft attacking ; In the middle Gil, Paddy and Edu(Parlour wasn't that far off himself.)
It is a common practice in modern competitive sport to select bigger men in cases where you have no clear advantages - even the German national teams have perfected the art of big man, big dreams. grin
Diaby gives the occasional pass away and may be doesn't commit to tackles as much as he should but in a midfield where you can't boast of sixers, I'll stick with him any day. We complain that Diaby doesn't assist as much as he should but fail to see that even the strikers don't have a high conversion ratio as such.
As things stand right now the only player (since Togo left) who wins those ariel battles when the ball is thumped forward is Bendtner . In the Middle Song occasionally wins em but what about Fab and the rest.
We need loose ball winners in the middle and Diaby looks very much like the person who'll fill that role.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by edoyad(m): 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2009
Carrick , Fletcher, Oshea, Lampard, Gerard, Mikel etc are all well over six.
And not to kid ourselves, yes Xavi, Iniesta are not six footers but for christ's sakes we are talking of the most gifted players on this planet here- Xavi was best player at Euro and was shortlisted with Ronaldo for WF.
So if your pockets can't buy you £70m midfielders get with the times wink
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by debosky(m): 6:33pm On Sep 29, 2009
You guys must be taking the piss - if a DWARF like Danny Murphy was bossing him around of what use is the height??

If a short boy like Andy Johnson who is ONLY 5' 7'' was out jumping Diaby who is 6' 2'' in the BOX then who gives a cow's behind about the useless height? If not for Mannone, his lackadaisical attitude would have cost us again.

I still remember Bellamy's goal against us at Citeh - Diaby was STROLLING back when he should have been racing back to cover the free striker after Clichy got stranded up the field.

Honestly I wonder what new excuse y'all will produce for this waste pipe. He can't tackle, can't pass and can't concentrate most of the time!!

Utter rubbish. I wish Denilson speedy recovery - seeing Diaby starting games this regularly is painful to the eyes.

@ Gooner

Nice post dude - seems you still have patience with Diaby. . . mine is fast running out. He has potential but is either too lazy or simply unable to focus and make proper use of the talent.

Enough of that though, I hope the entire team plays really well tonight. It's been quite a few games since we saw a quality Arsenal performance!

Gunner 1965 cool tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by Specialist900(m): 7:39pm On Sep 29, 2009
another win awaits us [color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by edoyad(m): 9:56pm On Sep 29, 2009
Group's so boring I've not watched any of our matches. Hope AZ do us a favour .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by debosky(m): 11:20pm On Sep 29, 2009
Nice win by the boys. . . .took too long to break Olympiakos down but then again, a win is a win. cool

RVP strikes again. cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by follypimpi(m): 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2009
debosky:

Nice win by the boys. . . .took too long to break Olympiakos down but then again, a win is a win. cool

RVP strikes again. cool

More like eduardo created the chance again grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by debosky(m): 11:38pm On Sep 29, 2009
follypimpi:

More like eduardo created the chance again grin

All na the same bro. grin

Forgot to add. . . Fab4 with the assist of the assist for the first goal, and the assist for the second. cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! by mukina2: 11:47pm On Sep 29, 2009
Mannone is the way forward kiss kiss

good to see Vela back.

everyone played well today though Diaby pissed me off on several occasions grin tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (100)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 / Real Madrid Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (2 - 2) On 1st May 2018 / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.