Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States (43065 Views)

Residents Panic After Spotting Creature On An Electric Pole In Edo Village. Pics / Suspected Earth Tremor Causes Panic In Bayelsa, Rivers States / Earthquake Causes Panic In Saki, Oyo Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by YourNemesis: 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2016
By Emmanuel Addeh in Yenagoa

Suspected earth tremor in parts of Bayelsa and Rivers States, has caused palpable apprehension among residents of the affected communities in the two oil-rich states. Residents of the areas noted that the tremor caused serious cracks on the walls of their buildings though no injury was reported. It was learnt that in some of the impacted communities such as Igbogene and Akenfa in Bayelsa as well as Akinima, Akie-Oniso (Oruama), One Man Country and Mbiama – neighbouring communities in Rivers, many people who experienced it were yet to recover from the trauma. There were heavy vibrations that lasted for some minutes during the incident which was said to have started at about 12 midnight.

An earth tremor , Wikipedia says, is the perceptible shaking of the surface of the earth, resulting from the sudden release of energy in the earth’s crust that creates seismic waves. It adds that a tremor could be violent enough to toss people around and destroy whole cities. Nigeria reportedly experienced tremors in 1933, 1939, 1964, 1984, 1990, 1994, 1997, 2000 and 2009 in various parts of the country. A retired Principal and landlord in Igbogene, Bayelsa State, Chief Etekpe Friday, described the experience as “frightening”. “We were about to go to bed when I heard a heavy vibration. I thought it was something else so I quickly went into prayers,” the 60-year-old man stated.

Another resident, Victor Idieto, described the earth tremor as a kind of earthquake. He said, “in fact, there was a kind of earthquake, very serious quake that lasted for some minutes. “At first, I thought it was armed robbers that were removing my roof, so I started shouting, ‘armed robbers, armed robbers’, only to realise that others had similar experience.” At Akie-Oniso(Oruama) in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State, a resident, Paul Kio, said the tremor caused a serious crack in his building. “This vibration was something unpredictable, look at the cracks on my wall,” Kio explained.

Also Paul Harrison, who hails from Delta State, but resides in the area, said it was the fourth time the incident had taken place, vowing to take his family away from the community if another occurred. The story was the same at Akinima, headquarters of the LGA. A house wife, Animason Emeka-Mark, pointed out that she had a traumatic feeling throughout the fateful night.

“Everywhere was shaking. It was something else. I thought the world had come to an end,” she said.” Officials of the environment based non-governmental organisation, Environmental Right Action and Friends of the Earth in Nigeria, Bayelsa State chapter, who were also on an assessment tour of the affected areas said that was not the first vibration experienced.

ERA coordinator in Bayelsa, Mr. Alagoa Morris, said the last occurrence took place two years ago in Freetown, Ikarama 1 & 2 in Okordia clan in Yenagoa LGA. He said that though what could have triggered the tremor had yet to be established, some indigenes and environmentalist had linked it to intense seismic and oil exploration activities undertaken by multinational companies in the area over the years. Morris, therefore, called on the government and relevant agencies to look into the incident with a view to ascertaining the real cause and prevent future occurrences to avert any disaster.

Residents of Saki in Oke Ogun area of Oyo State had last month also reported such quakes in their communities including, Medinat, Veterinary and Ogbooro areas of the town.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/07/16/suspected-earth-tremor-causes-panic-in-bayelsa-rivers-states/
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by ClitRaider: 3:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
SS is exploding..
Make we dey keep our oyel for bags o.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by ORACLE1975(m): 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2016
What?
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by Jack2020: 3:42pm On Jul 22, 2016
ClitRaider:
SS is exploding..
Exploding how?. is jst a natural disaster.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by ClitRaider: 3:48pm On Jul 22, 2016
Jack2020:
Exploding how?. is jst a natural disaster.
Pray you never experience it.
The ground may explode, the waters may burn too.

13 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by kolnel: 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
Must be the handwork of the Niger delta avengers

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by Built2last: 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
I remember in 2003 when Baghdad was going off in bombs... Nigerians looked left not knowing that by 2007 Bokoharam will remember us.

Fulani herdsmen were wrecking havoc in Taraba and Benue and other parts of Nigeria looked on while those with tiny megabites turned analysts on social media. Today, Fulani is 2 villages away from striking and everyone is wailing on social media.

Erosion started in The East, now in Zamfara and Ogun..its only time.

Now Bayelsa and Rivers is being threatened by Militancy and earthquake. you will see some low lives type rubbish soon.

they forget that from Bayelsa to Kano or Lagos is not far, and that whatever swallowed those states will not take ages to get to other states.

154 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by Sijo01(f): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
shocked shocked This is serious

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by ipledge10(m): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
Hm
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by rainerboy1010: 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
oh...

2 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by DONSMITH123(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2016
Earth what? In Nigeria?

If i call END TIME now ehn? Well, its nothing but END TIME.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by porshuch: 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2016
God don vex for avengers. Lol

5 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by ricsman(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2016
ok ... but no be the earthquake cause that crack wey dey for that pic na. ....

hope we never dey commit against nature??

1 Like

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by otokx(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
Nigeria does not need this now.
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by shamecurls(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
The gods re angry

2 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by missrock(f): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
porshuch:
God don vex for avengers. Lol

mumu, if earthquake happen in anywhere in naija, the whole country will be affected talk less of south where all money comes from.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by passionate88: 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
Buhari why? angry angry

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by Gist247(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
shocked shocked
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by MadCow1: 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
No matter how Elephant strong reach e no fit fight earthquake.. Stand fit.. MUDIAGA!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by lollmaolol(m): 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2016
Earthquake in Nigeria? Lobatan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by Dscientist: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2016
Serious
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by Orubebe01: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2016
So many bad events in this buhari's govt

7 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by prela(f): 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2016
Lord please have mercy on my nation Nigeria, the other day it was Saki, Oyo state SW. Now SS.

Lord God, we need POSITIVE change

3 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by slimthugchimee(m): 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2016
the power of ifa is here

2 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by passionate88: 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2016

“At first, I thought it was armed robbers that were removing my roof, so I started shouting, ‘armed robbers, armed robbers’, only to realise that others had similar experience.”
grin cheesy wink cheesy cheesy grin grin grin cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by AntiWailer: 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
Na wa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by wayodude(m): 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
na today?
Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by mooregan(m): 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
Tang akpan iko? cry sad

3 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by vinelli(m): 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
Armed robbers wan commot im roof that got me laffin

3 Likes

Re: Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States by HaneefahRN(f): 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
That must have been quite frightening. Thank God there wasn't much damage

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Physics Student Builds A Drone, Names It ‘hope For Chibok Girls’,(pix) / Calabar Boy Generates Power From Butter Containers & Damaged Solar Panels (Pics) / Snake Killed In A Poultry Farm In Owerri Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.