Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Some Negative Stereotypes About Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Negative Stereotypes About Africa (504 Views)

Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities / Facts About Africa You Might Not Know / Amina Ali's HIV Test Result Is Negative - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Negative Stereotypes About Africa by sorom4: 4:19pm On Jul 22, 2016
I have come to hear alot of things as a Nigerian as an African, things that makes me think how Non-Africans are constantly brain-washed to believe things that either their fore-fathers told them or that they got to see through the "one-sided media". And when I hear about all these from some Non-African friends, I laugh out loud at their ignorance.

Though some of them MAY be actually true; it doesn't ONLY give credits to Africans. Thus, it is a universal issue and shouldn't always be about AFRICAN'S.

Africa is a country: These folks think that Africa is just a country like Canada, Jamaica, U.S.A.,etc. They will always address me as "That guy that comes from Africa". It is either that they don't know that Africa is a continent just like the Caribbean, Asia, America, etc. or that it has become a norm for them to address all blacks as Africans. They don't even call me by name since they claim that my name sounds either weird or that the cannot pronounce it, rather they call me AFRICAN. Trust me nah, when they call me that, I call them Caribbean.

People: They think that we all look alike: dark brown skin, flat noses, big lips and woolly hair. The women are fat, but that is how their men like them. They will always ask me why we like fat women. But these folks never know say I like them slim, tall and elegant. Lol.

Culture: They wear colourful clothes – or almost nothing at all – and love to play the drums and dance. They live in jungle clearings in little round huts.

Language:[/ They speak in some mumbo-jumbo that is not even a proper language. Some can speak in broken English. Some of them will tel me how weird our names are but if I ask them to tell me the meaning of their names, they will be mute. It is usually then that I tell them how weird their names are cos it has no meaning.

[b]Lack of civilization:
They believe that Africa was a dark continent full of naked savages. They put bones through their noses and cooked people in big pots. Whites brought civilization, but unfortunately it has been falling to pieces ever since they left in the 1960s. Ancient Egypt does not count as an African civilization because Egypt is not truly African. But these people don't know exactly how their civilization has caused a once peaceful nations that are formally independent of themselves to be in chaos now. Eg. Nigeria.

Lack of intelligence: Tsests show that black Africans have an average IQ of 70, which, sadly, proves they are not terribly bright – as we suspected all along. So Africa will forever be screwed up unless outsiders step in to run things properly. But these guys refuses to acknowledge the inputs of Africans in their various nations.

Black Savage Rule: [/b]Mugabe proves they are incapable of self-rule. Rulers are cruel and on the take. Rape and murder are out of control.

[b]Colonialism:
Yes, there were some “excesses”, but whites more than made up for it by bringing civilization and good government.

War: Ever-present wherever you go, fought by heartless 12-year-old boys with machine guns.

Genocide: A common practice.

The slave trade: Carried on by blacks and Arabs for thousands of years, long before whites showed up. They are still at it!

Cities: Vast, violent shantytowns. At the centre: a few government buildings and maybe two high-rise hotels that are falling apart. There is one dirty, ill-equipped public hospital filled to overflowing. There is not even regular bus service, much less universities and libraries.

Disease: [/b]Half are dying from Aids – proof they lack any kind of morals. Millions die of malaria, also incurable.

[b]Religion: [/b]some follow a half-understood Christianity; a few follow Islam, most follow superstition.

[b]Children:
unwashed, half-naked, skin and bones for want of food. They sit listlessly on the ground with flies landing on their faces.

Wild animals: the only noble and truly interesting thing in Africa. They believe that each family keeps Lions and other wild animals as pet. We live and interact with them.

Strong: All Africans are strong. Their men can can move a mountain and fight Lions with bare hands.

Please add what else you have heard from these folks....
Re: Some Negative Stereotypes About Africa by ITbomb(m): 5:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
Until the lion learn to talk, tales of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

The Western media are just doing the bidding of their payers.

Do you know that for every single sponsored report about hunger or escalation of disease in Africa, someone's is getting a budget allocation from the western government.
The image of the helpless African is making some white man very rich somewhere, recently some African consultants are always keying into the corruption, manufacturing pitiable data to support more funding.

Since the west leaders may not be able steal outrightly like us, aids funding is one of the best method of money laundering

(1) (Reply)

Rivers APC Reacts To INEC Office Set Ablaze In Bori / If Nigeria Is Still Govern By The British... / Edo Pensioners Defy Rain, Protest Non-payment Of Gratuities, Pension Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.