Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities (3886 Views)

. / What Is The Estimated Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities In Nigeria? / Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by fratermathy(m): 4:38pm On May 15, 2017
I came Professor Chidi Maduka's inaugural lecture paper online (he is a Professor of Comparative Literature at UNIPORT), and in the paper, he tried to capture some of the pejorative stereotypes that have developed concerning ethnic groups in Nigeria. These are stereotypes that we all have helped to propagate. The aim of bringing this here is so that we can see these stereotypes, confirm or debunk them, and try to create a more positive image for our ethnicities. Below is the extract from the lecture paper:

"It is pertinent here to point out what our field work has revealed about the pejorative terms associated with the various ethnic groups. Owing to the limitations of time and space, it is restricted to the Igbo, Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Kalabari, Ogoni, Urhobo, Ibibio, Bini and Kanuri. The Igbo are chosen first because as the title of Amali’s booklet emphasizes – Ibos and their fellow Nigerians – they are the common targets of the other groups in this exercise of mass vilification. In the echo-chamber of the sensory perceptions of the Nigerian peoples, it is firmly believed that the Igbo man is greedy, aggressive, selfish, dishonest, clannish, arrogant and crudely materialistic – it is even said that he so likes money that a simple way of determining whether an Igbo corpse is really a corpse is to put money by its side; if it does not turn to pick it up, it can safely be concluded that it is, in fact, a corpse; the Hausa man is lazy, servile,. Beggarly, credulous, simple-minded, conservative and happy-go-lucky, although he is gradually being associated with arrogance, selfishness and hypocrisy; the Fulani is haughty, overbearing, egoistic, intolerant, feudalistic and aristocratic; the Yoruba is crafty, noisy, cowardly, clannish, extravagant, untrustworthy, reliable and mendacious – it is believed that being very wily he is a knife that cuts both ways; the Kalabari is lazy, self-centred, domineering, chauvinistic, easy-going, hedonistic and lascivious – it is said that the Kalabari man so likes women that one does not need the services of a doctor to declare a person dead: the simplest thing to do is to put a woman by his side; if he does not turn to caress her, it can safely be said that he is really dead; the Ogoni, who is often associated with the term pio pio, is simple-minded, violent, bellicose and quick- tempered; the Urhobo- generally called Urhobo wayo – is petty, devilish, dishonest, unreliable, materialistic, inhospitable and quarrelsome; the Ibibio is wicked, mean, peevish, narrow-minded and vindictive; the Bini is selfish, malevolent, diabolical, temperamental and war-like; and the Kanuri is avaricious, abrasive unaccommodating, belligerent and untrustworthy. It is well-known that there is no ethnic group that has no penchant for fetishism, yet it is tenaciously held that the Yoruba, the Bini, the Urhobo, the Ibibio and the Ogoni are the adept manipulators of metaphysical powers in Nigerian society; similarly, playing the 419 is a cross-cultural phenomenon, yet is widely believed that the Urhobo, the Kanuri and especially the Igbo are the exclusive practitioners of the vice. Thus each ethnic group perceives others as having despicable qualities while seeing itself as the repository of virtues – any person from its fold is quickly qualified as kind, generous, hospitable, tolerant, benevolent, trustworthy, open- minded, etc. nothing good thrives on the pan-ethnic land, Nigeria – a no – man’s land, it is morally, spiritually and psychologically barren to sustain values that make for nationhood. That is why public officers who have served it discreditably are unbelievably welcomed back to their ethnic homelands as heroes/heroines. Nigeria is a potpourri of peoples with divergent and conflicting interests. It is a nation without nationals, a country without patriots. It is yet to be created."

Title of Article - "Across Frontiers: Comparative Literature and National Integration". You can read the full work, which does quite a good job in its depiction of ethnic literature in Nigeria, by searching for it online.

So what do we think? Are these stereotypes still relevant today as they were in 1994 (when the lecture was delivered)? What can we do to change them? Let us not derail this thread please. Everyone is welcomed to discuss!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by fratermathy(m): 4:41pm On May 15, 2017
While we are on the subject of stereotypes, let us also take a look at some of the stereotypes the world has about Nigerians generally. I culled this from Wikipedia:

Negative Stereotypes
Nigerians are into Advance Fee Fraud
This stereotype is mainly a product of the many Nigerian prince 419 scams which were popular. Many people believe that a large percent of Nigerians are into internet scam and fraud. While it is true that some youths take to it, the stereotype is essentially misplaced as the number of youths partaking in this is very minimal. Most internet scammers simply prefer to use Nigeria and Nigerian identities in their schemes.

Nigerians are poor
This stereotype stems from the general perception that Africans are poor and in need of charity. It is important to note that Nigerians have some of the richest people in the world. Aliko Dangote, a Nigerian, is the richest black man alive. The percentage of poor Nigerians is not as high as this stereotype portrays it.

Nigerians are uneducated
This is one of the negative stereotypes about Nigerians. It is generally believed by most non-Nigerians that Nigerians are not well educated and cannot speak English. This is a myth as Nigerians have one of the highest literacy rates in Africa and English is the official language in Nigeria due to its multi-ethnic status.
Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by TheLogicalMind(m): 4:49pm On May 15, 2017

There's usually an element of truth in most stereotypes.

7 Likes

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Evestar200(f): 6:52pm On May 15, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

There's usually an element of truth in most stereotypes.
What Truth? If a particular person just have a bad encounter with a particular tribe twice, he/she will just conclude that whole people from that tribe are bad,

same thing with the one that have good encounter too, he/she will just conclude that every body from that tribe are good.

And that's not suppose to be so because in every family, street, community, town, state or country they are good or bad people, Is just that some are much in some places than others.

My 2cent.

8 Likes

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 17, 2017
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Amoto94(m): 12:14pm On May 17, 2017
There is no genetic link with behavioural patterns of an ethnic group some of the behaviors are influenced by environments and circumstances found therein. It is often said that Ebira people are aggressive but each time I tell people I'm an Ebira they'd be stunned because I do not exhibit such traits my people are stereotyped with.

7 Likes

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by biafraone: 3:47pm On May 17, 2017
stereotype which "we have helped" to nurture as portrayed by the author is simply due to our diversity.
we can not with all sincerity be collectively called a people when in actual fact we hold varied views on very regular issues.
this is the very reason intolerance amongst the various ethnic groups in the country is high. in fact, I am tempted to say that our quality of being different in this context is stereotype itself.

we can partly blame this on the failure of the founding fathers of this country.
their experiment at trying to align people with diverse culture to a single idea of a country simply failed and woefully too.

this conventional and rather bad conception held unfortunately by people of "no colour" will sadly linger for a very long time.
the more than 100 year old mistake may be corrected, albeit in 100x100 years time if we begin now.
Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by biafraone: 4:22pm On May 17, 2017
Amoto94:
There is no genetic link with behavioural patterns of an ethnic group some of the behaviors are influenced by environments and circumstances found therein. It is often said that Ebira people are aggressive but each time I tell people I'm an Ebira they'd be stunned because I do not exhibit such traits my people are stereotyped with.
imagine if ebira was to be a country and a nation separate from idoma or tiv. will there be an aggressive ebira person so much as to tag the great ebira people as aggressive? when "circumstances and environment" keep on influencing people, we can safely conclude (if over time such traits become very glaring) that indeed there has been a genetic modification of the people.

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Afam4eva(m): 10:04pm On May 19, 2017
While reading the article, i didn't even know that it was written in 1994 and that is because it is as relevant today as it was in 1994 and it will remain relevant for a long time to come.

The thing about stereotypes is that they hardly go away except something revolutionary happens that moves people's attention from the negative stereotypes. The thing with stereotypes is the more they are said, the more they become true. This is because the more they're being perpetuated, the more you will find evidence to support these stereotypes. By doing this, you will close your eyes to opposites of the stereotypes so that what you believe will remain true. That's is why a lot of people say there's a lot of truth in every stereotypes.

Yes, there's some truth in every stereotype and it won't make any difference if you take one stereotype from one group and out it on another. Infact, there are states with some stereotypes and it's funny that when some parts of that state is carved out to form another states, automatically the new state is free from that stereotype. For instance there's a stereotype about Anambra people doing ogwu ego (Blood money) and before 1991, my state was part of Anambra and all of us were at the receiving end of this stereotype. The moment, Enugu was carved out from Anambra, we became free from this stereotype. So, i ask, is it that our part of Anambra was not into blood money or people just identified the name "Anambra" with blood money. Which means that if you carve Asaba into Anambra state, they will also suffer the same fate?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Evestar200(f): 9:34pm On May 20, 2017
Many people have lose good oppurtunities because of these negatives stereotype

Some will just condemn a whole tribe, they will never see anything good in that tribe.

I just don't know how some people reason sha.

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Viktor1983(m): 9:30pm On May 22, 2017
interesting thread..
Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by urheme: 4:51pm On May 25, 2017
Did you say the author is ......greedy, aggressive, selfish, dishonest, clannish, arrogant and crudely materialistic.. shocked

I don't actually agree with his views

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by somegirl1: 6:54pm On May 25, 2017
Nigeria is a potpourri of peoples with divergent and conflicting interests. It is a nation without nationals, a country without patriots. It is yet to be created.

In summary.

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 25, 2017
1994??¿

This is saddening beyond words.
biafraone:
stereotype which "we have helped" to nurture as portrayed by the author is simply due to our diversity.
we can not with all sincerity be collectively called a people when in actual fact we hold varied views on very regular issues.
this is the very reason intolerance amongst the various ethnic groups in the country is high. in fact, I am tempted to say that our quality of being different in this context is stereotype itself.

we can partly blame this on the failure of the founding fathers of this country.
their experiment at trying to align people with diverse culture to a single idea of a country simply failed and woefully too.

Our forefathers actually knew the implausibility of all tribes getting along in a federal system.

In the general conference for the 1951 Machpherson constitution, they resolved that
The General Conference was of the view that over-centralisation would be a grave error "in this vast country with its widely differing conditions and needs", and that the policy which had received enthusiastic support throughout the country was the policy of achieving unity at the Centre through strength in the Regions. It was confidently expected that when the Regions felt that they had wide powers to run their own regional affairs, they would be more likely ready to co-operate with the other Regions through their representatives in the Council of Ministers and the House of Representatives in serving the interest of Nigeria as a whole".

Yet we didn't listen. Greed and stupid political power blinded our eyes and as such, we are reaping the rewards today.
Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Zetra(m): 5:18pm On Jun 25, 2017
Evestar200:
Many people have lost good opportunities (and will continue to lose)because of these negatives stereotype

Our parents are also at fault, and they knowingly / unknowingly want to input it into us...
I recently had a bid misunderstanding with mine over my girlfriend of choice...
I never new that "negative stereotype thinking" will come from them

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Evestar200(f): 2:26pm On Jun 27, 2017
Zetra:

Our parents are also at fault, and they knowingly / unknowingly want to input it into us...
I recently had a bid misunderstanding with mine over my girlfriend of choice...
I never new that "negative stereotype thinking" will come from them
yea, my mom do have some stereotypes about some tribes, town and region. but have make her to understand why she should stop having those stereotypes.

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Zetra(m): 4:41pm On Jun 27, 2017
Evestar200:
yea, my mom do have some stereotypes about some tribes, town and region. but have make her to understand why she should stop having those stereotypes.

I feel you sis,
maybe if we still together as a nation our next generation would less stereotype (that is we don't pass down the same idea to our kids)
Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by Evestar200(f): 10:22am On Jun 28, 2017
Zetra:

I feel you sis,
maybe if we still together as a nation our next generation would less stereotype (that is we don't pass down the same idea to our kids)
we hope the next generation don't get worse with the way people are pouring out hate speech against each other.

1 Like

Re: Some Negative Stereotypes Of Nigerian Ethnicities by fratermathy(m): 1:04pm On Jun 28, 2017
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Operation Python Dance ; A stupid mistake by Nigerian government. / BREAKING: Chaos In Rivers As INEC Declares Presidential Election Result / Sanwo-Olu Released Stimulus Package For Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.