Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

JAMB, OAU And Other Varsities: What The Nigerian Constitution Really Says - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB, OAU And Other Varsities: What The Nigerian Constitution Really Says (925 Views)

Admission Into University Without Stress, Unilorin, Unilag, Oau And Many More / Meet First Class Graduate Of OAU And 7 Times ICAN Prize Winner – / caution to what Happening Between OAU And UNILORIN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

JAMB, OAU And Other Varsities: What The Nigerian Constitution Really Says by HomoSapiien: 8:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
After seeing what OAU is doing in the name of POstume screening and the exhorbitant money they are charging for it, i decided to check out the root of all these matters of Jamb and their wahala.

Perhaps they were right by scrapping post ume because i don't just understand why universities will go about charging roughly #7000 on over 40,000 candidates when actually they know their capacity is less than 6,000. Roughly 30,000 are going home after losing their hard earned #7000 on futility. This is not fair to me, i don't know about you. But then i keep asking myself:
Is Jamb doing the right thing by scrapping post ume? Are the schools right for charging huge fees in the name of post ume screening?

We read from the Nigerian Constitution:

Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board Act
Chapter 193
Laws of the Federation of Nigeria

5. (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of any other enactment. the Board shall be responsible for -
(a) the general control of the conduct of matriculation examinations for admissions into all Universities, Polytechnics (by whatever name called) and Colleges of Education (by whatever name called) in Nigeria;

(b) the appointment of examiners, moderators, invigilators, members of subject panels and committees and other persons with respect to matriculation examinations and any other matter incidental thereto or connected therewith;

(c) the placement of suitable qualified candidates in the tertiary institutions having taken into account-
(i) the vacancies available in each tertiary institution
(ii) the guidelines approved for each tertiary institution by its proprietor or other competent authority

(iii) the preferences expressed or otherwise indi­cated by candidates for certain tertiary institutions and courses and
(iv) such other matters as the Board may be directed by the Minister to consider, or the Board itself may consider appropriate in the circumstances;

(d) the collection and dissemination of information on all matters relating to admissions into tertiary institutions or to any other matter relevant to the discharge of the functions of the Board under this
Act; and
(e) the carrying out of such other activities as are necessary or expedient for the full discharge of all or any of the functions conferred on it under or pursuant to this Act.
(2) For the avoidance of doubt, the Board shall be
responsible for determining matriculation
requirements and conducting examinations leading
to undergraduate admissions and also for admissions to National Diploma and the Nigerian Certificate in Education courses, but shall not be responsible for examinations or any other selective process for postgraduate courses and any other courses offered by the tertiary institutions.

6. Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Minister may give the Board directives of a general character or relating generally to particular matters with regard to the exercise by the Board of its functions under this Act and it shall be the duty of the Board to comply with such directives.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/Joint%20Admissions%20and%20Matriculation%20Board%20Act.htm

Before the introduction of the CBT POST UTME,The board(JAMB) normally offers admissions to prospective candidates on the recommendation of the Universities following approved guidelines ad decisions on admissions in Nigeria are guided by government approved guidelines. The approved guidelines by FG was MERIT, CATCHMENT AREAS AND ELDS. Indeed the minister made this clear
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/jamb-releases-criteria-admission-nigerian-varsities/

In my opinion, OAU knows this clearly. They are aware of those jamb sent to them for admission consideration. They are only doing this to complement those ones since Prof Dibu said that they fill in insufficient space through the omnibus sent to them by Jamb, why are they then requiring exhobitant fees for the screening when actually they know the reality?

Perhaps they don't, or my suppositions are wrong. And JAMB and the Ministers silence is quite deafening. Is this how we will be extorted of our hard earned money again in this horrible economic state of the country?

From a concerned jambite.

Contrary views are welcomed.

Cc: Lalasticlala, fynestboi, seun.. Please let us hear more views from the intellect.
Re: JAMB, OAU And Other Varsities: What The Nigerian Constitution Really Says by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 22, 2016
i tire for naija abeg

(1) (Reply)

Students, Don't Waste Your Parents' Money In School In Nigeria / UNIPORT UTME Merit Admission List 2016/2017 Released / Adedayo Osijo From LASU Immerged President Of Lawsan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.