Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,365 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. (16650 Views)

A Building Collapses In Lagos Island, Tokunbo Street (Video) / Looking For A Building Contractor In Lagos. / Court Remands Lekki Gardens MD, Contractor In Custody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by mozel247: 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
800k roofing is OK depending on the size and type of materia to use. Cost of wood in ur side.

Am doing my mum own now. I spend 700k plus for the roof despite b a professional builder bought things and design how the woodwork should look like. How no b beans o...

Plaster 3 bedroom alone plus dressing of window go cost between 1500 200k for labour only depending on the size. Not to talk of cement, sand and others.

He might b eating form it but believe me. Not as u think. He will definitely pay himself of every day he spend there. Except he is contributing money too.
SirJeffry:
The location is Anambra and my cousin is a professional contractor. The house benefactor is my aunt as well as his aunt so I thought it would be wise to patronize him since he's into such business.

It's just that I've spent more than I thought should be spent on the project that's why I sought you guys opinion. He said roofing alone will gulp almost 800k and I had to cut the call to put my mind together abeg.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by healthy2015: 1:44pm On Jul 24, 2016
I think it all depends on the plan you have, if you can post the plan here , well I can give rough ideal , and mind you roofing is just the beginning , you will still budget good morning for fittings
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by titiakins: 1:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
mozel247:
U r spewing rubbish. Did u read in between line..? He said at lintel level, then said 1m to roof, pipe and plaster...? That include the two course blocks to fins hi plus roof beam. Na magic..? For naija...?
you speak like you know anything about building and construction

I just completed a 3 bedroom and d even spend that much (without fittings)... location matters

What's even more annoying is th fact that th building is in the village where building materials and labour is cheap

Next time you have something to say to me, don tell me I'm spewing rubbish!
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by MurderX: 1:48pm On Jul 24, 2016
The problem is that you thought you were a big boy with #5million to build 3 bedroom, you should have rather considered building a one bedroom apartment. Guy just chill because all your big boy go fade once you buy one block to begin build house. An average 3bedroom flat would cost not less than 12million. Building a correct house is the true test of "I don arrive". Its hillarious for you to think that 1million go roof, conduit and plaster - that cracked me up. Stone coated roofing and paraflet alone cost me more than 3million abour 2yrs ago before Bubu came online to change thinz, so brace up because to buy one motto and to build 3br flat no be the same thing, you may have to start drinking garri while it lasts.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Slymonster(m): 1:50pm On Jul 24, 2016
Ignorant people on this thread.1m cant do all this things you listed na or is it ordinary zinc you are using.As a civil engineer who have handle buildings,every building material prices have double very well.Do you want to kill your cousin with cheap labour or is he not going to get small change in his pocket.Haba 1m for roofing,plastering and pipe......BROS YOUR WICKED...That your house get cement so cos i feel its more of sand,you should thank God its bungalow

aluminium window and finishing work sef never start,bros you go complain tired sha..

ALL DEPENDS ON THE QUALITY THO

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by MurderX: 1:59pm On Jul 24, 2016
stanley000:
man if you have put up up to that amount and its still on lintel then i say that cousin of yours have started his own building too and its on lintel level too grin grin grin tongue

Bros its obvious that you dont know anything about building a house.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Jarus(m): 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:
Guys please I need advice and suggestions. There's this three-bedroom bungalow I'm building in my mum village through a cousin who is a building contractor.
Aside fencing the property which is about two plots, I have put in approximately N2.5m yet the house is still on "linter" level. When I became mad about it, my cousin told me he put in a lot in building "sucker pit" and leveling the bad landscape.

Now I sent him N1m for him to do the roofing, conduit wiring and possibly plastering but he just sent me a text asking for more money for the same purpose.

Please, is he trying to drain me or are things that costly now that a 3bedroom house in a village takes up to N5m to build.

Oga, it is wrong to assume because a house is in the village, it will be very cheap to do. Apart from land cost, every other thing will be the same price. In fact some things will be more expensive in the village due to transoport cost from the city.

If I remove the cost of land, what I spent to build my village house almost doubles what I spent to do the Lagos project.

There is no way 5m will complete a 3-bedroom except you want to use zinc roof and just not plaster.

By the way, it is hardly possible in Nigeria not to be duped by contractor, family or no family (except parents).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by erico2k2(m): 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
titiakins:
you speak like you know anything about building and construction

I just completed a 3 bedroom and d even spend that much (without fittings)... location matters

What's even more annoying is th fact that th building is in the village where building materials and labour is cheap

Next time you have something to say to me, don tell me I'm spewing rubbish!
So i n all you are saying Building materials are more cheaper in the village are you 4 real? Even Bread are more expensive in the village if there are no bakery there.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by spanzed(m): 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
Jarus:

Oga, it is wrong to assume because a house is in the village, it will be very cheap to do. Apart from land cost, every other thing will be the same price. In fact some things will be more expensive in the village due to transoport cost from the city.

If I remove the cost of land, what I spent to build my village house almost doubles what I spent to do the Lagos project.

There is no way 5m will complete a 3-bedroom except you want to use zinc roof and just not plaster.

By the way, it is hardly possible in Nigeria not to be duped by contractor, family or no family (except parents).
my oga even parent nowadays don join in duping
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by titiakins: 2:44pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

So i n all you are saying Building materials are more cheaper in the village are you 4 real? Even Bread are more expensive in the village if there are no bakery there.
what I'm saying is,

Use the environment you find yourself to your own advantage

For instance, if I'm to build in a village, instead of buying blocks I would make my own blocks

and if you have labourers that don't charge too high, instead of employing new ones that are charging too high,
It's better you bring your labourers over from where ever to your site

PS: say no to daily charging
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Adenugay(m): 2:56pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:
Guys please I need advice and suggestions. There's this three-bedroom bungalow I'm building in my mum village through a cousin who is a building contractor.
Aside fencing the property which is about two plots, I have put in approximately N2.5m yet the house is still on "linter" level. When I became mad about it, my cousin told me he put in a lot in building "sucker pit" and leveling the bad landscape.

Now I sent him N1m for him to do the roofing, conduit wiring and possibly plastering but he just sent me a text asking for more money for the same purpose.

Please, is he trying to drain me or are things that costly now that a 3bedroom house in a village takes up to N5m to build.

Go get a Quantity surveyor. Don't mean to sound rude, but that's is the fact
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Coolgent(m): 2:59pm On Jul 24, 2016
ifyalways:

Thank you jare
I see people that have never bought a block in their whole existence already casting aspersions on the cousin.

1M that can barely buy better roofing sheet sef. Abeg this thread is so funny with all the ignorant posts.
God bless u my sister for been honest
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Coolgent(m): 3:00pm On Jul 24, 2016
ifyalways:

Thank you jare
I see people that have never bought a block in their whole existence already casting aspersions on the cousin.

1M that can barely buy better roofing sheet sef. Abeg this thread is so funny with all the ignorant posts.
God bless u my sister for been honest with the op.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:
He did send the list but I'm not on ground to do some verifications. I never planned to spend that much, I thought few amount of money could put up something small but nice.
Sir, we learn everyday, Take the list and go make friends with people who sells building materials and discuss with them, buy them drinks and they would unravel secrets to you
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by donkray: 3:17pm On Jul 24, 2016
You didn't have a Bill of Quantities before embarking? Funny enough you think because it's in the village it should be cheaper? No materials like cement and roofing sheets will be high (cost wise) without competition, and if u buy from city, you pay transport and again back to high cost. It's in cities where competition(s) exist that u get incentives like lower prices, free delivery and cheaper labour due to excessive supply over demand. My advice:
Get a QS and bill the remaining items. So it guides you.
But 1m for Plaster, Roofing and Wiring. That's a classic joke and will be a source of building collapse. Meanwhile prepare another 2.5m at least for finishing (depending on ur taste)
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by erico2k2(m): 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2016
titiakins:
what I'm saying is,

Use the environment you find yourself to your own advantage

For instance, if I'm to build in a village, instead of buying blocks I would make my own blocks

and if you have labourers that don't charge too high, instead of employing new ones that are charging too high,
It's better you bring your labourers over from where ever to your site

PS: say no to daily charging
Still did not answer my contribution, the labour cost is not the issue here rather cost of materials which are bound to be more expensive in the Village than in the city.The only part that would be cheap is the cost of labour and Land.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by titiakins: 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Still did not answer my contribution, the labour cost is not the issue here rather cost of materials which are bound to be more expensive in the Village than in the city.The only part that would be cheap is the cost of labour and Land.
surely you can't say the price of materials are the same everywhere in Nigeria
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by erico2k2(m): 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2016
titiakins:
surely you can't say the price of materials are the same everywhere in Nigeria
Nah they are not, the cheapest building materials are in Lagos,but the most expensive place is at the villages.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by dAesthete(m): 4:22pm On Jul 24, 2016
briliantsak:
You need a Qs

Have noticed that most people are ignorant of what a Qs does. Thus, they tend to boycott Qs services not knowing they are doing more harm to themselves than good. A Quantity surveyor is also refer to as a cost engineer, Construction economist among others. The common notation among the populace is that a QS is a surveyor as in a Land surveyor, while some with little knowledge see a Qs as a professional who determine the quantity of materials needed in any construction works. Thou, this is right but it does not signify who a QS is really is, determining quantity of materials needed is just 0.001% of what a Qs can do.
A Qs gives value to your money and some of the principal services of the quantity surveyor are;
Preliminary Cost Advice
Advising on Contractor selection
Obtaining Negotiation tender/ bid
Valuing Construction works
Feasibility Studies
Technical Auditing
Cost control and Post contract management
Project Control
Risk management
Security Management
Investment Appraisals
Condition Surveys
Financial Analysis
Asset Management
Property Management
Contract Auditing
Property condition appraisals
Procurement Management
Project management analysis
Cordination Engineering
WHY DO YOU NEED A QUANTITY SURVEYOR
Do you know it is essential to evaluate/estimate your conceived project to determine the cost implication before commencement to guide against project failure or abandonment
Do you know the feasibility of any construction project does not guarantee its viability ( value for money)
Do you know many contractors run at loss or abandon projects not because of materials or equipment but as a result of lack of efficient project management (Quantity Surveyor)
Do you know you can maximize your profit as a contractor by employing cost expert _( Quantity surveyor)
Do you know you can save money, time, materials etc on your project as a client if you employ cost expert ( Quantity surveyor)
Do you know you can avoid unnecessary waste before , during and after your project(s) by employing Quantity surveyors hence get value for your investment
Do you know the relevance of Quantity surveyors in budget preparation and analysis is indispensable.
This and many other are the reasons why you need a Quantity surveyor. Why not give it a try trial today and employ a Quantity surveyor/Cost expert/ construction economist in your project(s) and you would be amazed as to what you have bn missing.
For more information , contact 08134781882.
[b][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] PLS OP MAKE DIS A TOPIC
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Buildertobadt: 4:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
@ OP You really need to request for a good breakdown of all expenses so far and then you can get a neutral person unknown to your cousin or any family member to help you make findings on the current rate of materials in that area. Kindly this link https://www.nairaland.com/3219564/wont-find-building-materials-prices#47790862 and this link https://www.nairaland.com/785839/current-prices-building-materials-nigeria/56#47847792
OR check www.cribpark.com.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by titiakins: 4:39pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Nah they are not, the cheapest building materials are in Lagos,but the most expensive place is at the villages.
alright... thanks anyway
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by sben2308(m): 4:56pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:

If u don't mind my approach .

1. Your cousin is ripping u off

2. 3 bedroom should not b more than 3 mill at most 3.450

3.Ask for break down analysis and also find time and go yourself to confirm. Also ask those who sells building materials for prices also to compare with his own .

4. Either u monitor d project urself or u pause for a while .

5.Lastly u can reach me on 08035079449 or sben230@gmail.com for more information and if you can pay my 8℅℅ of the whole building amount .I will take it up for you because it's wat I do for living.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by segcymoor(m): 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2016
Send money just like that??
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by femiolorun(m): 5:21pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:

FOR three bedroom ensuit that money should be enough but for roofing, using akun with step type of roof, guy that 1m will not reach
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:

Stingy and greedy people are always used without remorse.How could you give him 1m for roofing,conduit wiring and plastering in this Buhari's time where everything is almost times three of the usual cost.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by olumide4christ: 6:17pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:

Sir, what you have done is like putting the cart before the horse, journeying into the Sahara desert without a map or compass or sailing the Atlantic ocean without any charts or compass.

You don't embark on any project without having what someone above mentioned, a 'breakdown analysis', technically called a BILL OF QUANTITIES, prepared by a professional QUANTITY SURVEYOR. This will help you determine what each stage of work would cost and when you engage the QUANTITY SURVEYOR to help you administer or manage this document during the construction stage, the contractor or builder, whether he is your family or not, will have no choice but to fall in line or be exposed. The QUANTITY SURVEYOR brings checks and balances to any contractor in any project, whether family or not, so far the client gives the QUANTITY SURVEYOR the freehand.

These things are practicable.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by MrImole: 6:21pm On Jul 24, 2016
Chai!

See how people are talking of millions, property and achievements here and I'm here looking for #2000 to subscribe on my phone... I will make it very soon in Jesus name. I will put the pictures of my house and property here one day.

May God continue to bless all of us in Jesus name.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by olumide4christ: 6:34pm On Jul 24, 2016
dAesthete:
[/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] PLS OP MAKE DIS A TOPIC

[b]There is already a thread of 6 pages already on this.... https://www.nairaland.com/2836058/talk-quantity-surveyors-construction-costs
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 24, 2016
SirJeffry:

5m should complete a 3bedroom bungalow if the fencing no follow.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by richling77(m): 7:03pm On Jul 24, 2016
ifyalways:

Thank you jare

The real thieves are the ones casting the aspersions for real. Are they saying 1M is enough to do all he just listed? Instead of addressing the issue they are busy insulting the cousin in other to be awarded the job and milk the OP dry. If you must listen, your cousin hasn't done you any harm and if you must confirm this get a faithful builder to do estimate for you.

Just last week I gave a quote of 120k for a 3 bedroom nogging in Agbaara and the people in charge of the project asked the property owner it would cost 350k. They did not even use a standard wood for the job. To my amazement I later found out 3 Alhaji are involved in a 3 bedroom project and this is there present office. lol. They won't let me handle the finishings because they see it as a stage they will make good money on the project and my quotes is revealing their secrets.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by princejones(m): 7:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
Oga sorry for the lost cos the amount expended so far has gone but you need the know the present stage of the building with pictures proof and you are suppose to be updated daily on the work progress as that is how l work with my client that are outside the states.
Re: I Think I'm Being Cheated By A Building Contractor. by Mbamifeanyi(m): 9:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
udemedia3:
5m without the finishing included ..., lol you are on a long thing..,
am not saying that ur contractor have eaten ur money.., but they are some factors we consider in estimation... Building in the village does not mean u are not going to spend big money on the project.,,,, what matters is the quality of the project..,
things to consider :
* the type of foundation
* will it carry underground beam
* the cost of material in that location
etc..,

note
you can contact ude building consult for ur building design and construction ... Call or what's app us 0814 4149 500

my broda re u an engr or a Manson...plz don't get me wrong.....how can u be mentioning an underground beam on a bungalow....even if such such building is located on a swampy area...underground beams re introduced only buildings with much dead and live loads...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victims Defrauded Of N50 Million By Lagos Developer Cry For Refunds (Photo) / Genuine Lekki Estate Land For Sale - N1.5M (C Of O, Installmental Payment) / Minimalist Homes For Nigerian Villages(habitat For All )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.