Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? (11487 Views)

I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next / I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by okomile(f): 8:11am On May 24, 2018
Go for part time. Weekend classes. It's stressful but worth it on the long run. Best of luck
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by biuty20: 8:15am On May 24, 2018
It depends on the nature of the job. If your work is the shifting type then congratulations because you can liaise with your class rep to fix the time table to favour you and other working students. You will be attending class 2 or 3 times in a week.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by bigpicture001: 8:30am On May 24, 2018
Tychamps:
The same way MSc student does it
what's d difference btw MSc and masters..?
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by BruncleZuma: 8:32am On May 24, 2018
Yes you can
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by mediclife1987(m): 8:41am On May 24, 2018
RuggedArab:
I have been thinking how you combine your job and your Masters (full time) program. I know some people that have started their M.sc but could not complete it because of their job.

Some of them say they could not create time to attend 50% of lectures. Most times they go into the exam not knowing what to write. One of my close pal even tried to finish but did not write his thesis because there was no time for him to do it.

Now, over to you that have been combining your job and your Masters program and those that have completed theirs while working; How did you combine both?

Online masters is the best, you fix your classes and you have the option of bringing Tertiary institutions abroad down to your doorstep...
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by mediclife1987(m): 8:44am On May 24, 2018
Culin:
Is that even possible? except for a post graduate diploma but I've not seen anybody with a job running a successful masters program.. exceeeeept those ones who want to spend 5years running a masters private cheesy

Damn cute lady, you truly are a northern breed. wink
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by zicoraads: 8:47am On May 24, 2018
Ryanfolly:
I will recommend National Open University for you here in Nigeria while you can try Walden university abroad as well.
i bet that you will find it interesting.................cheers
Is there a way around that Walden University tuition?

I checked it out but the money is on the high side. Totally out of my reach.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by mediclife1987(m): 8:50am On May 24, 2018
Angelawhite:
I'm currently running an M.sc program (full time)
If I see a good job offer, I won't hesitate to drop the program

Hunger don waya this one cheesy

Better stay put and read your book, "ko fe kawe, amo o fe kawo"

Olodo cheesy
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by MOHE: 9:01am On May 24, 2018
I'm on this table you are shaking. Just got admission at Ife and job at Lagos cry . I'll gladly let the admission go
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by gabicon: 9:06am On May 24, 2018
RuggedArab:
I have been thinking how you combine your job and your Masters (full time) program. I know some people that have started their M.sc but could not complete it because of their job.

Some of them say they could not create time to attend 50% of lectures. Most times they go into the exam not knowing what to write. One of my close pal even tried to finish but did not write his thesis because there was no time for him to do it.

Now, over to you that have been combining your job and your Masters program and those that have completed theirs while working; How did you combine both?

It difficult in Nigeria especially when higher institutions don't have flexible programs. I work and run my MBA online in a uni in the uk, my friend just finished an MSC in energy systems from a uk uni all done online. yes it is expensive and may require longterm planning but it cuts the stress. I remember a friend running to attend a test on Saturday at one of our Nigerian uni's and the lecturer not showing up. you cant try out unicaf.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Nokio1: 9:07am On May 24, 2018
You don't run an M.sc program your take or offer one,to run it means you are the program director or coordinator.
Naija English Sha.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Arcbox(m): 9:10am On May 24, 2018
Very easy. There is a price for greatness. I did my master in a state different from were I was working bt finish in the smallest timing.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by NaijaNaWaa: 9:11am On May 24, 2018
University of London Distance Learning PG programmes are world class. Give it a trial. But it's costly sha.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by chuksp09(m): 9:53am On May 24, 2018
Unlimited22:

Walden University US, or Athabasca University Canada. It's so much better as you learn at your pace.
Do you have any idea of the cost involved?
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Agbaletu: 10:15am On May 24, 2018
It depends on your position and your colleagues in your place of work. I did my MSc and PhD while working full time in Nigeria.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Taiwo20(m): 10:25am On May 24, 2018
The University should be close to your workplace. You should run a weekend programme
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by slydog(m): 10:57am On May 24, 2018
mamapidgin:
the best masters program to do for someone working is to do a part-time masters program except u do ur job online, where u don't need to go to work on daily basis, anywhere with internet facility is ur workplace, u can run a full time master program successfully.

I know a computer scientist that is about to start his PhD now after d successful completion of his masters full-time. and he is still gainfully employed online.

I work in a bank, I did my MSC and just finished my PhD working in the bank. I'm trying to make my next career move now, which is leaving the banking sector.
Every is determination, stress? Yes I've gone through stress of combining schooling and being a marketer in a bank with grey hair to show for it this past six years

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by lanrywatt(m): 11:12am On May 24, 2018
slydog:

I work in a bank, I did my MSC and just finished my PhD working in the bank. I'm trying to make my next career move now, which is leaving the banking sector.
Every is determination, stress? Yes I've gone through stress of combining schooling and being a marketer in a bank with grey hair to show for it this past six years
Pls I'm in a similar situation.
I got a full time admission in UI , while I work in a bank on a full time basis
I'm confused right now, cos my boss anly approve 2hours lectures in a week, when I have Monday to Thursday classes ..
I don't no if attending a 2 hours class, I can still maintain a good grade in sch while I still work
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by slydog(m): 11:17am On May 24, 2018
lanrywatt:

Pls I'm in a similar situation.
I got a full time admission in UI , while I work in a bank on a full time basis
I'm confused right now, cos my boss anly approve 2hours lectures in a week, when I have Monday to Thursday classes ..
I don't no if attending a 2 hours class, I can still maintain a good grade in sch while I still work

Are u a marketer? Do you work in Ibadan? If yes, then u can only pray that your manager understands, and also u need to have good relationship with other marketers in ur branch so that they can cover u up when ur attention is need, its not easy at all but if u have a goal and determination you will be fine. At the masters level, I tried to go to lectures esp when the lecturer is very strict and u know as a marketer I can drive out of the office with my own car under the pretence of going for a call.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by lanrywatt(m): 11:46am On May 24, 2018
slydog:

Are u a marketer? Do you work in Ibadan? If yes, then u can only pray that your manager understands, and also u need to have good relationship with other marketers in ur branch so that they can cover u up when ur attention is need, its not easy at all but if u have a goal and determination you will be fine. At the masters level, I tried to go to lectures esp when the lecturer is very strict and u know as a marketer I can drive out of the office with my own car under the pretence of going for a call.
Yes I work in Ibadan and I am a marketer too.. But presently my marketing role as been assigned to another marketer, so I now limit my activities to customer service
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Softy0709: 12:09pm On May 24, 2018
Yes you can, only if U're done with ur course work.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Angelawhite(m): 12:19pm On May 24, 2018
mediclife1987:

Hunger don waya this one cheesy

Better stay put and read your book, "ko fe kawe, amo o fe kawo"

Olodo cheesy

My guy. Hunger de finish me here.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by lanrywatt(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2018
Softy0709:
Yes you can, only if U're done with ur course work.
Tanks bro..but course work just started is the ishe
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 1:24pm On May 24, 2018
Please check our signature in blue colour here just below this post to see if our service is of interest to you and click on the WhatsApp link to chat us directly
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by merrymaker2: 4:05pm On May 24, 2018
It is possible wt UI's Distance Learning Centre, Ibadan. It is u and ur materials.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by slydog(m): 6:46pm On May 24, 2018
lanrywatt:

Yes I work in Ibadan and I am a marketer too.. But presently my marketing role as been assigned to another marketer, so I now limit my activities to customer service

You can't do it while being an ops staff.. I got an offer from fbn for ops at the beginning of my PhD, but I did not take it because it will limit my movement
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by sweetilicious(f): 7:22pm On May 24, 2018
braine:

Only a few department s allow that. Coz the lecturers may not be available at whatever time they choose.

Ofcoz the stress is worth it, nothing good comes easily.
My dear! Its stressful but i have to do my best.Better now than procrastination.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by braine(m): 7:24pm On May 24, 2018
sweetilicious:
My dear! Its stressful but i have to do my best.Better now than procrastination.

Yes you have to.

I completed my program in January this year after two years. I'm glad I pushed. It's paying off already.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 24, 2018
Im on this same table too. I'm interested in running a MSc progm but the nature of my work is making me feel otherwise. I run 2days and 2 night shift, I want to know if running this kind of program is visible.
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by Culin(f): 11:13pm On May 24, 2018
mediclife1987:

Damn cute lady, you truly are a northern breed. wink
gracias
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by mediclife1987(m): 12:54am On May 25, 2018
Culin:

gracias

Take this kiss ok?
Re: How Can One Have A Job And Run An M.sc Program Concurrently? by mediclife1987(m): 12:55am On May 25, 2018
Angelawhite:

My guy. Hunger de finish me here.

Bwahahahaha! cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow / Three Tips For Changing Your Career, Without Starting Over / When Is The Right Time To Take A Career Break?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.