Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment (72915 Views)

FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education / Hnd/bsc Dichotomy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 12:59pm On Jul 24, 2016
Breaking News: HND/BSc Dichotomy Removed.

At last, it is with excitement, capital joy amidst jubilation and celebration of over 20 years struggle of Nigerian Polytechnic students and graduates including the staff unions and heads of Polytechnic in Nigeria.

I am pleased to announce to the public that the COUNCIL OF ESTABLISHMENT which comprises of all the head of service of the 36 States of the Federation and the head of service of the Federation approved the removal of this long overdue dichotomy which hinder the career progression of HND holders in civil service in her meeting held in Minna Niger state capital during the week after an exhaustive deliberation, pro and anti deposition which ended with tie vote of 16 against 16 while the head of service of the Federation voted in support as presiding officer after the tie, to earn the Polytechnic sector the victory.

Making the vote 17 pro against 16 anti. Henceforth, This resolution automatically lift embargo on HND holder career progression in civil service as the holder can now rise beyond Deputy Director in civil service as well enjoy all sort of benefits/promotion to the topmost rank due to BSc holders in civil service.

It is on record that this same Council was the sole obstacle for this struggle since year 2005 when President Olusegun Obasanjo pronounced the removal of this dichotomy, the Council called the then president statement a mere pronouncement with out documentation and refused it adoption nor implementation.

It will be recalled that the last meeting of the council which was held at Ilorin kwara state capital witness heavy presence of Nigeria Polytechnic students which I personally led as the National Senate President of NAPS to the council in protest for the need for the council to reconsider her position on the said matter.

A position paper was submitted after the protest as demanded by the then head of service of Federation who was the chairman of the Council, unfortunately, the matter was completely discussed nor concluded at Ilorin until now in her next meeting in Niger state.

The Council often meets every 3 years, On behalf of the entire West Africa Polytechnic students and most especially the Nigeria Polytechnic students, I express sincere gratitude to the head of service of states and that of the Federation who stood for us and with us, the Federal Ministry of Education, the National Board for Technical Education NTBE, Council of Head of Polytechnic and Colleges of Technology COHEADS, Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic ASUP, past and present leadership of National Association Of Polytechnic Students NAPS and by extension the Nigerians Union of journalist for their support all through the struggle.

We look forward for immediate implementation by all state of the Federation, Federal government agencies and departments while I call on all Polytechnic student to join us as we Commence appreciation/celebration.

Aluta continua, Victoria Ascerta,
No retreat no surrender,
As long as we live, struggle continues. #OluwaLoniGlory#

NATIONAL COUNCIL ON ESTABLISHMENT RESOLVES UNIVERSITY/POLYTECHNIC DICHOTOMY

THE National Council on Establishment has approved the postgraduate diploma (PGD) as the bridge programme for holders of the Higher National Diploma (HND) to rise to the peak of their career just like their degree holders counterparts.

In a meeting which lasted five days last week in Minna, the Niger State capital, it was resolved, among others, that the entry point for HND holders into the civil service would henceforth be Grade Level 08, like their bachelor degree holder counterparts.

This, it is hoped, will effectively and finally resolve the discrimination and career limitation that graduates of polytechnic institutions had for years been subjected to in the workplace, especially the states and federal civil service.

The National Council on Establishment meeting comprised the Head of Service of the Federation; Heads of Service (HoS) of the 36 states of the federation; representatives of the federal and states Ministry of Education (who were represented by the permanent secretaries), as well as the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).

It was gathered that the meeting also took inputs from the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

It will be recalled that until now, a polytechnic graduate with HND cannot be employed into the civil service on Grade Level 8 and cannot rise beyond Level 15 without additional qualifications (including a master’s degree), while his/her counterpart with a bachelor’s degree enters on Grade Level 08 and can rise to the peak at Grade Level 17 (equivalent of the Permanent Secretary cadre).

A HND holder who aspires to that level will have to not only obtain a PGD in relevant disciplines, but is also required to obtain a master’s degree before he can hope to attain the level his bachelors’ degree holder counterpart could attain, even without a second degree.

The removal of this dichotomy, among other perceived institutionalised discriminatory policies, had been at the top of a list of demands by the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), the umbrella body for polytechnic lecturers and had been the motivation for several industrial crises in the sector.

With this new development, HND holders only need to acquire the postgraduate diploma in relevant field from an accredited institution/university to attain parity with their university graduate counterparts.

The national president of the ASUP, Mr Usman Dutse, expressed satisfaction at the development.

Speaking with Nigerian Tribune on telephone on Sunday, Dutse said, among other things, the removal of the dichotomy would help change the negative mindset created in the minds of the Nigerian populace, whereby they don’t attach much importance or interest to technical or vocational education.

“In the last admission, 1.6 million applicants applied to universities, but for the polytechnics, only thirty-something thousand applied. Then, if you look at it, the morale of HND holders is down; they are demotivated because their efforts are not appreciated. The value of their input is not appreciated, because what is considered is the certificate and where you come from.

“This is what we have been agitating for. About three committees worked on it, from former president Olusegun Obasanjo’s time; former President Goodluck Jonathan’s time and this time. All the committees recommended its (dichotomy) removal.”

On the modality for the enforcement of the new policy, Dutse said once it had become a policy, any employer who refuses to implement it or continues to discriminate against polytechnic graduates in their employ will be prosecuted.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/national-council-establishment-resolves-universitypolytechnic-dichotomy/

45 Likes 13 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Mustack: 1:06pm On Jul 24, 2016
source or I don't believe.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Zector(m): 1:07pm On Jul 24, 2016
Ope ooooo

2 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 1:12pm On Jul 24, 2016
Mustack:
source or I don't believe.
I am polytechnic student the president of my department send that to me and I felt its educative

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
faorex:
I am polytechnic student the president of my department send that to me and I felt its educative
WAPSU and NAPS

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by lytech1(m): 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2016
Rubbish...
Where is the available job for us to celebrate on,before thinking of getting to the top.
Abegi!

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Mustack: 1:48pm On Jul 24, 2016
faorex:
it doesn't change anything. am a final year student of kwarapoly, a valid source as a preferred reff should be made available otherwise ppl will tag it as lies because you're not recognized hia in respective of the post both of you are wielding..
be smart.

4 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 1:57pm On Jul 24, 2016
lytech1:
Rubbish...
Where is the available job for us to celebrate on,before thinking of getting to the top.
Abegi!
are you a polytechnic student or graduate?

2 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by ObiBlessed(m): 1:59pm On Jul 24, 2016
Hmm.. Where is this your news from?? Anyway I'm coming..
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 2:08pm On Jul 24, 2016
ObiBlessed:
Hmm.. Where is this your news from??
Anyway I'm coming..
when u are back then you read the upper part again where I showed the source

2 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 24, 2016
i pray so
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
cc; lalastical mynd44 and other mods carry this news to FP page na

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by yemmynoni: 2:53pm On Jul 24, 2016
Good development if u ask me

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by rattlesnake(m): 3:08pm On Jul 24, 2016
Can you dictenomy knowledge? nonsense low self esteem!!!!.....i pity HND holders

11 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by shigo20(m): 3:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
I think the news is true coz one my bro in sch also send's it to me on whatsapp though I don't regard it then but am believing it now coz the content sent 2 me is the same as that of the OP

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by sanandreas(m): 3:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
Source: whatsapp news. At the moment it not your Educational qualifications but what can you offer to the society.

13 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by seunlayi(m): 3:27pm On Jul 24, 2016
That is not the solution, if the economy is OK even primary school cert holders will have a place to fill up

5 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Chimarto: 3:32pm On Jul 24, 2016
This won't stop my Direct Entry application.

17 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by ak47yong(m): 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2016
faorex:
See what am saying how can we be the same (sent nt send)

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by idris4r83(m): 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2016
Fat lie

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2016
Lol, claiming that HND/BSc dichotomy has been removed is just like claiming there is no longer racism or gender inequality has been finally expunged. We all know that _shit ain't happening, no matter how many documents are signed having it taken out.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by chudyprince: 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
rattlesnake:
Can you dictenomy knowledge? nonsense low self esteem!!!!.....i pity HND holders
i petty an inconsiderate idiot like you

20 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
LastMumu:
Lol, claiming that the HND/BSc dichotomy has been removed is just like claiming there is no longer racism or gender inequality has been finally expunged. We all know that _shit ain't happening, no matter how many documents are signed having it taken out.
U r last Mumu indeed

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by sagaciousblog: 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2016
rattlesnake:
you can't even spell 'dichotomy' yet you pity polytechnic students.. I beseech you to pity yourself bro.

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by sagaciousblog: 4:24pm On Jul 24, 2016
ak47yong:

See what AM saying how can we be the same (sent by send)
Mr Man, your cerebrum should have also told you that there should be 'I' before your 'am'.... You can't even construct a sentence yet you condemn others.

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by faorex(m): 4:34pm On Jul 24, 2016
ak47yong:

See what am saying how can we be the same (sent by send)
i don't know how u are feeling buh I never felt inferior because I am polytechnic student during my jamb days I passed jamb and post utme very well buh I was admitted for road transportation. mgt. when I was offered architecture(desired course)in the poly and I opted for my choice.... go and learn more and stop feeling bittered

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 24, 2016
LastMumu:
Lol, claiming that the HND/BSc dichotomy has been removed is just like claiming there is no longer racism or gender inequality has been finally expunged. We all know that _shit ain't happening, no matter how many documents are signed having it taken out.
That's harsh, be nice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Slimberry1(f): 6:20pm On Jul 24, 2016
Hmm

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Platinumay(m): 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2016
It will be a welcome development if and only if this information is true. Btw. We wey graduate from uni sef dey serve under an hnd holder. Naija jobs na matter of who u sabi.

6 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by TheComrade(m): 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
Elevation of papper qualification over d contents of d papper. Shiooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

That's harsh, be nice.

Lol, it might sound harsh but it is the truth.

6 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by holluphemydavid(m): 7:50pm On Jul 24, 2016
Either Tru or false I had my pgd already, d discrimination is just tu much, I cud remember when I got job I was offer level 7 cos I had HND while my counter part who had BSc and got same job at same time was offer level 8, nobody advice me when I put in for pgd sharply, my advice for anyone with my own experience is to put in for pgd to balance it all

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Letter On How They Spent Their Christmas Holiday And He Wrote This (Pictures) / WAEC Supervisor Assaults Female Muslim Candidate / Meet The State That Have 15 University In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.