Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Buhari Reveals 31-year-old Secret About Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Reveals 31-year-old Secret About Babangida (702 Views)

President Buhari Reveals His Focus In 2018 / Goodluck Johnathan Posts About Babangida Aliyu & 12 Northern Governors / Buhari Reveals What Recovered Stolen Monies Will Be Used For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Reveals 31-year-old Secret About Babangida by Chibuike56(m): 6:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
Why Babangida removed me from power in 1985 – Buhari. – President Muhammadu Buhari said he was removed from office in 1985 because he was planning to purge the military of corruption
– The president also mentioned that former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida and General Aliyu Gusau, removed him to save themselves
– He has challenged them to tell the truth on why they carried out the coup against him
President Buhari
Nigeria’s president, Muhammadu Buhari said 31 years ago he was removed from office because he was planning to purge the military hierarchy of corruption.
READ ALSO: Buhari Reveals He Knew Babangida’s Plans For 1985 Coup
Buhari, who has not spared the military even in his ongoing anti-corruption war, said senior military leaders, led by former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida and General Aliyu Gusau, removed him in August 1985, to save themselves from his wrath.
In an interview with The Interview magazine, Buhari challenged Babangida and Gusau to tell the truth on why they carried out the coup against him.
“I learnt,” he said, “that Aliyu Gusau, who was in charge of intelligence, took import licence from the ministry of commerce which was in charge of supplies and gave it to Alhaji Mai Deribe.
“It was worth N100,000, a lot of money at that time. I confronted them and took the case to the Army council in a memo…I wanted Gusau punished.”
Babangida in December edition that there was nothing in the memo which Buhari said he submitted to the Army council.
“Don’t forget that I was one of Buhari’s closest aides. I was the chief of army staff. So, I had an important position, an important role to play within that administration. I don’t think it had to do with a memo,”Babangida said.
Buhari became in charge of Nigeria on December 31, 1983, after he and his loyalists overthrew the government of Shehu Shagari.
READ ALSO: How Buhari Lost Power 30 Years Ago
However, on August 27, 1985, Buhari’s rule was ended by the Chief of Army Staff, IBB, who was a part of Buhari’s team and one of the key actors in 1983 coup.
The president had earlier said he knew Babangida was planning the coup against him. It may sound incredible, but they discussed it together with him at Buhari’s office.
Re: Buhari Reveals 31-year-old Secret About Babangida by Anoruo(m): 6:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
Why now?
Re: Buhari Reveals 31-year-old Secret About Babangida by fotadmowmend(m): 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
iffa hear
Re: Buhari Reveals 31-year-old Secret About Babangida by DaBullIT(m): 7:53pm On Jul 24, 2016
Buhari simply does not understand que sera sera

what will be will be

Babangida did his worst, and now you are running the country , you should give thanks to God

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

bhhe / Will EFCC Come After Me? / Edo2016: Why Obaseki of APC Will Make A better Governor than Ize Iyamu of PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.