Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action (13728 Views)

Naira Sinks To Record Low At N420 Against Dollar / Naira Sinks To All-time Low Of 365.25/dollar / Naira Sinks To N375 Per Dollar - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by dre11(m): 8:12am On Jul 26, 2016
Oyetunji Abioye with agency report

The naira fell to 378 against the dollar at the parallel market on Monday, down from 375 on Friday as scarcity of the greenback continued to weigh on the local currency at both the interbank and black markets.

The dollar liquidity crisis at the interbank market has led to a continued pressure on the naira, causing consistent drops on the value of the naira at both the interbank and parallel markets.

At the interbank market on Monday, the naira slipped by 2.5 per cent to a new closing low of 310 per dollar.

Foreign exchange dealers said the local currency fell after the Central Bank of Nigeria failed to lure in local investors or foreign players to the interbank market.

They said trading at the interbank market dried up on Monday in anticipation of an interest rate hike by the CBN’s Monetary Policy Committee on Tuesday.

The MPC is due to make some policy announcements at the end of its two-day bi-monthly meeting on Tuesday.

The naira opened at a record low of 302.10 on Monday and traded a total of just $8.64m by the close, far less than $100.54mn on Friday, when the CBN spurred the market by selling some of its dollars, Reuters reported.

On Thursday, the naira fell through 300 against the dollar at the interbank market, a month after the CBN lifted its controls on the currency.

On Friday, it hit an all-time intraday low of 331 before recovering ground by the close of trading.

The CBN had hoped that scrapping the dollar peg and letting the currency fall by a third would help attract investment and erase the need for a black market, where the naira trades another 17 per cent weaker against the dollar.

But some foreign players have stayed out of the market, according to traders.

Analysts expect the MPC to raise interest rates, which should make the currency more attractive to foreign investors.

The CBN ditched its 16-month-old peg of N197/dollar in June to allow the naira to trade freely and lure back foreign investors who fled both the equities and bond markets in the wake of the plunge in crude prices.

On Friday, the CBN settled $697m of one-month outright currency forwards it sold in June at an exchange rate of 280 naira per dollar, to help quell dollar demand, Reuters reported.

Outstanding forwards it sold include $1.22bn of two-month contracts and $1.57bn due in three months.

In non-deliverable forward markets, the one-month naira-dollar forward was quoted at 328 while the one-year contract fell as low as 368 per dollar.

http://punchng.com/naira-sinks-378dollar-analysts-expect-mpc-action/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by ijustdey: 8:35am On Jul 26, 2016
when will dollar ever come down to its projected value of almost 300naira to a dollar

1 Like

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by youngeagle(m): 9:01am On Jul 26, 2016
I will make $1=1naira zombies begin the clap without checking the track record of the dullard.

109 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Adesiji77: 10:22am On Jul 26, 2016
MPC may just retain existing rates. CBN has done enough mopping of funds already...

Cc: lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44, davide470, Truth234, dearie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by dayus444: 10:31am On Jul 26, 2016
Honestly, this is pathetic.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Truth234(m): 10:55am On Jul 26, 2016
Analysts expect the MPC to raise interest rates, which should make the currency more attractive to foreign investors. Foreign exchange dealers said the local currency fell after the Central Bank of Nigeria failed to lure in local investors or foreign players to the interbank market.

CBN didn't fail to lure local and foreign investors, uncertain global economic outlook after the U.K exit the European Union and unfavorable business environment in Nigeria forced both foreign and local investors to hold back.

So, it will be totally wrong to hike rates in order to attract investors when our consumer spending is weak and consumer price index (Inflation) is at 11 year high. If we need to create jobs to boast spending by stimulating the economy domestically. It will be wrong to raise rate today, because even if they do it won't be effective. And I think MPC are smarter than that.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by beloxxi(m): 12:08pm On Jul 26, 2016
Creepy factors that lead to linda ikeji's success now revealed in this article 100% accurate grin http://www.infotanus.com.ng/2016/07/linda-ikeji-creeping-factors-that-lead.html
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 26, 2016
very good

2 Likes

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by chadwickcollins(m): 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Lol apc tins

3 Likes

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Integrityfarms(m): 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Please Nlanders let's volunteer to hold this our naira from further falling by wedging it with our man power Biko!

Enough of all the see economic rhetorics!

2 Likes

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Aroh48(m): 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Jst chilling
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by dearsly(m): 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
This ain't my field of expertise! Let the economists and other sound minds debate.......not the empty skull wailers and Zombies!

1 Like

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by OfficialNM: 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
This is getting worse day by day

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Kaira333: 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Buhari, which way? #1=$1. I laugh in congo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by cezarman(m): 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
I Believe Buhari Is A Purnishment From God,To Purnish Us For Our Sins.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by pepigeorge(m): 12:10pm On Jul 26, 2016
By the tym APC finish with Nigerian economy, only conductor CHANGE go remain

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by englishmart(m): 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2016
naira is speedily going down. I guess it wants to discover oil in Adamawa

28 Likes

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by sheedy407(m): 12:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
Let me look for someone to send me money from abroad o

1 Like

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by mmsen: 12:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
If Buhari died today the Naira would pick up immediately.

Boko Haram, MEND, NDA - if you handle this one deed I will forgive your past indiscretions.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
The thunder wey go fire Buhari still dey dey Dressin room dey wear Jersey
Foolish Mansadsad

22 Likes

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by holluphemydavid(m): 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
When dollar can be like dis, hw much is pounds going to be, nawa ooooo
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by benueguy(m): 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
Yawns...
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by mommaade(f): 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
Na dem know
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by pendusky(m): 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
On behalf of the Ministry of Finance and CBN I want to urge Nigerians to bear with us as we will make N1=$1 in the next 3months... grin cheesy cheesy (If I hear )

One of the reason my guys voted APC was their promised about equating dollars and naira.

But seems All Promised has been cancelled...

IPOB, NDA, FHM (Fulani Herds Men), Lagos Militants, and plenty group now on their peak of attack due to disunity caused by the present administration...

I will continue to pray for a better Nigeria...

cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by islandmoon: 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
The Naira is still suffering from effect of corruption as polilooters are still buying buying dollars to hides there loots from buhari, it will how ever stand till when the demand for dollar is normal, we need to know what we are doing!
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by godwinbatho(m): 12:16pm On Jul 26, 2016
pay me my money make it in dollars
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Victorakats(m): 12:18pm On Jul 26, 2016
The bitter truth is that this government is not helping the economy at all with her policies and I'm afraid that this hardship may last longer than this year.
There is no strategic plans that will strengthen the economy.

www.amaraofficial.com
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by ladyF(f): 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
Integrityfarms:
Please Nlanders let's volunteer to hold this our naira from further falling by wedging it with our man power Biko!

Enough of all the see economic rhetorics!
lmao na only you go volunteer o
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by shammah1(m): 12:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
Buhari the Daura dullardd
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 26, 2016
Nigeria is under spiritual attack... cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by amtalkin(f): 12:22pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thank God my own economy is not based here in Nigeria.

BuhariDeEconomist i hail you

1 Like

Re: Naira Sinks To 378/dollar As Analysts Expect MPC Action by blaise00700(m): 12:22pm On Jul 26, 2016
Soon $1 will be equal to N0.

Rapture has taken place and the Devil is ruling this country.

Nigeria in Its present state is worst than HELL FIRE angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fire Destroys Umuahia Industrial Market / Convert Airtime To Cash with ipayairtime / How To Start A Lucrative Phone Maintenance/repair Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.