Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,377 members, 7,815,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. (18554 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / In The Wake Of A Wave Of Fintechs, Banks Are Getting Personal / Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Anijay1212(m): 6:40am On Jul 27, 2016
I only buy from the bank when it is late as i cant bear to see the look of disapointment on the face of the card vendor in my street.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by mu2sa2: 6:48am On Jul 27, 2016
omenka:
If you don't wanna be owing her, then get her account number and make your payment into it whenever she sends you airtime.

Abi??
Or better still, pay her cash in advance. Btw he doesn't have to do the card scratching himself - the seller will do it for him.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by segebobo: 6:50am On Jul 27, 2016
You forgot about yourself too... the ease at obtaining credit will cause you to reload your line even when it's not really urgent or important. Also, I remember a banks policy that any account that has more than 3 withdrawals in a month does not qualify for interest. Meaning if u reload more than thrice in a month, your money is just in the bank for safe keeping.
I'm not saying technology shouldn't be embraced
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by clintino700(m): 6:52am On Jul 27, 2016
I totally agree with the op cos I don't go to banks like before I can walk to like 4 banks a day for some transactions but now I hardly go to one, i just make sure I have enough funds then I do transfers but in d case of recharged cards for my data I prefer buying credit.
For Exp. I use glo #3000 for 10gb, where i load via recharge card I get #9000 in total #6k bonus to call any ntw n #3k main credit to sub but through banking sys u don't get any bonuses...
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by clintino700(m): 6:55am On Jul 27, 2016
But op u can collect her number call her to send u d card u need , u just do copy n paste it on your call dial *no stress** u pay her when passing by just to help her instead of helping banks.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Acidosis(m): 7:02am On Jul 27, 2016
So you'd rather queue in the bank than use ATM?

You'd rather walk in the rain to buy the recharge pin than dial a code on your phone?

It is not anyone's fault that people cannot stay innovative. The banks cannot be blamed for the poverty in the land.

Are you also aware of the fact that ATM has rendered many jobless? Are you also aware that POS has rendered many 'cashiers' useless?

If you cannot cope with Technology, get out! The banks are not at fault. See it is either you choose to stay innovative, or relocate to the village and queue up in your community bank. Drop this sympathetic mentality. The poor are poor because they are poor, it is no one's fault. Even Baba Ijebu has long switched to POS.

If you want to help the poor, simply help, give them money, job, etc., do not blame INNOVATION.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by DeRay98(m): 7:09am On Jul 27, 2016
Our banks are anti economy, they look easy ways to make and declare humongous profits yearly. These micro to medium scale businesses are the ones ought empower by financing them to grow and boost the economy. Instead, they loan depositors money to politicians for elections in exchange for looted govt funds in their accounts. When such politicians loss election it becomes bad depth. Many falsely rich elites are living on bank loans which are never repaid. Banks and mgrs are lazy bunch and agents exploitation in Nig. : angry
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by uncletech(m): 7:11am On Jul 27, 2016
Buying frm d bank too is helping in paying dat ur frd salary working in d bank.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by sexychocho(f): 7:15am On Jul 27, 2016
U av a point but just try to be partronizing d girl once in a while

Let's hep d business people
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by WoodcrestMayor(m): 7:16am On Jul 27, 2016
Stress
omenka:
If you don't wanna be owing her, then get her account number and make your payment into it whenever she sends you airtime.

Abi??
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by osile2012: 7:19am On Jul 27, 2016
Acidosis:
So you'd rather queue in the bank than use ATM?

You'd rather walk in the rain to buy the recharge pin than dial a code on your phone?

It is not anyone's fault that people cannot stay innovative. The banks cannot be blamed for the poverty in the land.

Are you also aware of the fact that ATM has rendered many jobless? Are you also aware that POS has rendered many 'cashiers' useless?

If you cannot cope with Technology, get out! The banks are not at fault. See it is either you choose to stay innovative, or relocate to the village and queue up in your community bank. Drop this sympathetic mentality. The poor are poor because they are poor, it is no one's fault. Even Baba Ijebu has long switched to POS.

If you want to help the poor, simply help, give them money, job, etc., do not blame INNOVATION.

[size=18pt]In a more organized country where the system works and there is employment, That wont be a problem. But in a country like ours, where the common wealth of the nation is taken by a few to enrich their entire generation while others suffer, then its not the fault of the poor.

I dont have a problem with other services accessing your funds with ease and transfering the same funds to customers of the bank or other banks. But selling recharge cards, considering the economic situation of the people, should have been left for them. The could have even limited their sales to N10,000 and above. That way u can only recharge through the bank if your buying up to 10k. But here they even sell N100 recharge card.

For those talking about the charge the bank takes when u recharge via bank, its still insignificant to driving to the girls stand at N145 a litter . No matter what u suggest, whether its calling her on phone or paying into her account, purchasing from your account is much easier. The problem is that i dont even check my bundle balance again till its finish, unlike before when i have to go buy credit.

Some of those that print and distributes these cards to vendors are bank customers. Now the bank is taking over the business of their customers instead of giving them loans . So if the banks look at their accounts and see large inflow, they start selling card as competition .

Soon banks will start to open restaurant and buy buses for transport in the name of innovation . Let the banks stay in their lane abeg.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 27, 2016
I'm very sure you ain't aware you are being debited some very few Naira per recharge. My bank deducts #9:00K per recharge. I only found out their trick against me after 5 months of online recharging because they deliberately will never send me debit alerts for that purpose. Now I don wise up. I no dey buy online again. Who bank epp!

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Acidosis(m): 7:31am On Jul 27, 2016
osile2012:

[size=18pt]In a more organized country where the system works and there is employment, That wont be a problem. But in a country like ours, where the common wealth of the nation is taken by a few to enrich their entire generation while others suffer, then its not the fault of the poor.

I dont have a problem with other services accessing your funds with ease and transfering the same funds to customers of the bank or other banks. But selling recharge cards, considering the economic situation of the people, should have been left for them. The could have even limited their sales to N10,000 and above. That way u can only recharge through the bank if your buying up to 10k. But here they even sell N100 recharge card.

For those talking about the charge the bank takes when u recharge via bank, its still insignificant to driving to the girls stand at N145 a litter . No matter what u suggest, whether its calling her on phone or paying into her account, purchasing from your account is much easier. The problem is that i dont even check my bundle balance again till its finish, unlike before when i have to go buy credit.

Some of those that print and distributes these cards to vendors are bank customers. Now the bank is taking over the business of their customers instead of giving them loans . So if the banks look at their accounts and see large inflow, they start selling card as competition .

Soon banks will start to open restaurant and buy buses for transport in the name of innovation . Let the banks stay in their lane abeg.
[/size]

I personally don't like the idea of calling someone to sell me cards (I do that a lot, but it is practically uneconomical).

Why spend N20 on the phone with a salesgirl because of N200 airtime? Remember, in the case of recharge pin, she'd scratch the card, and spend N4 on SMS.

In some cases, you still have to call the salesgirl with another N20 to say "thank you, I have gotten the card".

These processes do not make sense. The banks have simply made life easier, cheaper and faster. I'm not sure the bank managers would discomfort themselves in order to make SMEs thrive. In fact, I'm not even sure Acidosis will go poor in order for my neighbor to keep his/her job. I am not Jesus Christ.

Anything that will bring comfort to me would be gladly embraced. If MTN decides to provide Yellow air-conditioned buses at N20 (Berger to Island). Who am I to reject it?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by canDy4eva(f): 7:33am On Jul 27, 2016
Truth be told. There are certain businesses that will phase off as time goes on. We make calls via pay phones before but now "who does that". Remove centiments. How many developed countries do you c people selling recharge cards along the line. The more reason why you have to invest in yourself knowing that time waits for no one.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by olalekan1(m): 7:39am On Jul 27, 2016
There is no going back from this new initiative from our banks. It is more comfortable to recharge your phone via the short codes than going to one retailer.

What I think is paramount is that the competition should be flexible and fair enough for both competitors, though the retailers on the street have no strong backup or pressure group that will mount pressure on the government to make policy that will favour them in their business, the government or rather NCC should device some marketing strategy or rather make available some incentive that will favour the retailers on the street and make people still buy from them.

As for me, I will choose to buy from my bank because of the comfort and it's 247 availability.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by graphiti: 7:44am On Jul 27, 2016
dominique:
Good thing that you have realised your contribution to small scale business owners. Let's try to patronize anyway we can. They're badly hit by this economic downturn as they hardly sell like before.

My case is almost opposite to yours. I've been recharging via bank account for years because I hate scratching and loading cards. Recently, a friend that manages a small neighbourhood kiosk (@ my signature) has been facing financial difficulties. Recharge card is one of the few things she sells that I can use. So I had to reverse my decision and now I buy all my cards from her. I still hate loading cards, but the satisfaction I get that I am increasing someone's revenue base outweighs the annoyance of loading 15/16 digits into my phones.

Dhur!
What do we have "share and sell" for?

If he really want to "epp" her, let her "share" d credit/data with him.

He needn't scratch nada.

Just pay her and she'll send d credit/data to ur phone! Shikena.

I'm sure one "imbe" will soon blame Buhari 4 ds!

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by lonelydora: 7:49am On Jul 27, 2016
Osile2012, I brought up this issue in my office some time ago, and most people said because of the comfort it offers that they prefer it than going to purchase from someone on the street. This made me to conclude that Nigerians are very lazy. They didn't even see my point of putting people out of business.

The girl I normally purchase from in my street is now selling fruits, oranges, pineapples, banana, because she wasn't making sells again from recharge cards.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Chukzyfcb(m): 7:54am On Jul 27, 2016
Rather than blame bank, blame it on technology. Technology is gradually reducing man-power, with everything becoming more effecient & easy, there's less need for labour. Soon someday, we humans will have to keep up with robots just to be gainfully employed.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Exponental(m): 7:58am On Jul 27, 2016
@Op, you made the girl poorer not the bank. Someone is selling it using the bank's platform. It's all about business. Get her number, pay her in advance, she will respond to your calls, messages or mere flash!
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by joey150(m): 7:59am On Jul 27, 2016
You can as well blame telcom networks for bringing call tarrifs down so we dont have to pay 20 naira to make a minute call anymore.

Nigeria just wants to remain forever in the stone age.. I guess if we start to have maybe 15hours of constant electricity you'll blame electricity compsnies for wrecking filling stations,generator sellers and generator repairers.

Use your head man!!
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Izen: 8:03am On Jul 27, 2016
omenka:

Abi??

This your logic get k-leg you know?
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by bjtinz: 8:04am On Jul 27, 2016
Sorry most u making noise here are hypocrites unless:

you want to tell me you never bought from ShopRite instead of d local provision store

you never eaten from chicken reb, KFC, etc, instead of Iya Basira

you've never bought freshly baked bread from oceanic bakery or Shoprite instead of the local bread sellers.

I can go on and on. The fact remains times are changing and its not d fault of d banks.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by osile2012: 8:05am On Jul 27, 2016
canDy4eva:
Truth be told. There are certain businesses that will phase off as time goes on. We make calls via pay phones before but now "who does that". Remove centiments. How many developed countries do you c people selling recharge cards along the line. The more reason why you have to invest in yourself knowing that time waits for no one.

[size=18pt]Here we go again, comparing Nigeria with developed countries. How many developed countries do people loot state funds and proceed to become law makers for the same country? This is Nigeria, the wealth that would have provided better opportunity for those selling recharge cards have been stolen by a few, to buy properties and move their families abroad..[/size]
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by spoilerx: 8:06am On Jul 27, 2016
i keep telling people to stop buying credit from banks . support small scale businesses
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by francade(m): 8:06am On Jul 27, 2016
osile2012:

[size=18pt]Its not in my nature to owe, hence i cant buy on credit. Secondly, Like i said the comfort of loading from my phone has become addictive but i will still try to make the sacrifice. It would have been easier for me if such an option did not exist . The banks should not have introduced it .

I no longer remember card when i see money in my wallet. But i will try to patronize her when my data runs out this time. I pray it does not happen in the Night.
[/size]
The earlier the better cos your part of the card might be what she is using to sponsor herself one way or the other. We all are guilty of this.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by osile2012: 8:07am On Jul 27, 2016
bjtinz:
Sorry most u making noise here are hypocrites unless:

you want to tell me you never bought from ShopRite instead of d local provision store

you never eaten from chicken reb, KFC, etc, instead of Iya Basira

you've never bought freshly baked bread from oceanic bakery or Shoprite instead of the local bread sellers.

I can go on and on. The fact remains times are changing and its not d fault of d banks.

[size=18pt]They are competition from the same industry.Have u ever bought Kerosine from your barbing salon ?[/size]
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by spoilerx: 8:09am On Jul 27, 2016
osile2012:

[size=18pt]Its not in my nature to owe, hence i cant buy on credit. Secondly, Like i said the comfort of loading from my phone has become addictive but i will still try to make the sacrifice. It would have been easier for me if such an option did not exist . The banks should not have introduced it .

I no longer remember card when i see money in my wallet. But i will try to patronize her when my data runs out this time. I pray it does not happen in the Night.
[/size]

please sir , tell her to deliver credit to your home.

am sure she would . they barely even make enough profit sef.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by osile2012: 8:15am On Jul 27, 2016
spoilerx:

please sir , tell her to deliver credit to your home.

am sure she would . they barely even make enough profit sef.

[size=18pt]Home Ke, why would i do that ? I only got to know her because she sells opposite a supermarket i always shop from.[/size]
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by marv1: 8:15am On Jul 27, 2016
osile2012:
I appreciate advancement in technology, but sometimes there are disadvantages that come with it. As the economic situation bites hard, unemployment situation worsens and inflation all time high, Nigerians find it hard to survive.

With the banks going into retail or recharge cards and data, this development further worsens the economic situation of these Nigerians who sell recharge cards for a living.

There was the girl i have been buying card from for years, i dont spend less than N10,000 monthly buying cards for both data and calls from her. Some months ago, i was introduced to this code from one of the banks to purchase credit. Ever since then, i have become very lazy to go and buy card. I am no longer worried that my data is about to expire,because i can simply buy with my phone from the comfort of my home or wherever i am.

Its been up to 6 months now, and i have not bought card from this girl. I feel guilty each time i am driving past and see the excitement on her face like before, expecting to make sales and i wave and tell her next time. I am sure she is wondering if i am buying from someone else or what exactly is happening.

I sometimes pass through another street when i remember i will meet her on my way. It pains me but i have become addicted to the simple method of purchasing from my phone. I no longer need to scratch the cards . But i just sat down today to calculate, and discovered that this girl has lost over N60,000 sales from me alone to the banks.

And i wonder, is it right for the banks to go into a business that these already poor Nigerians are managing to survive ? Are they not compounding the hardship for these Nigerians. The banks are laying of staff from within and also chasing people out of business outside.
Bro if u really care for the small biz of the girl. U can explain to her and make arrangement that u really want to patronize her. U can ask her to load u credit whenever u are in need then she will collect her money when u pass thru the street. If u can convince her that u will not disappear with her money. Simple. That is what i do.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:15am On Jul 27, 2016
pendusky:
Op your topic is misleading...

You could have written

"How Technology is making people poor"

My sister "flash" me in the middle of the night, I didn't have much credit, Do I have to call iya sikiru to send me Airtime at that time? no.. I simply dial Sterling Bank Recharge code *822*Amount# and my account was credited, when I call her she was crying, she need data to finish her term paper which to her will be submitted in the morning, I simply dial *822*Amount*Her No# (Sterling Bank third party recharge) and she was credited, that solve the problem.. Gbam grin

Take a careful look at banks these days, you don't meet much paying tellers, they will advise you, sire pls use the ATM, owing to these, banks don't employ more hands for this purpose because ATM (Technology is doing the work)

I could remember when I was in school when water biz came out, you only need waterproof, refrigerator and water to start the biz, but when rich men saw that they can bring in Machine for purification and packaging (Technology), that the beginning of Pure Water Business which led to wiping out of the poor ones who started the biz.

Take for example our old women in market who sell salts in markets, Dangote came with his purification machine (Technology) to purify and sell salts, everyone now buy Dangote Ionized salt..

what about Local Cyber cafe (I remember sleeping severally at cafe in the name of Night browsing) these days Telecom Network operators give cheap data on your set, (Technology redefined) I dont need to visit cafe,(I use my laptop) I don't even need a modem(Another huge loss to modem manufacturing coy) I use hotspot on my phone..

OP you don't say banks but Technology is making people poor and also making life convenient... grin

BTW we want to embrace Solar Energy grin

that's a warning to PHCN workers
Spot on bro. Exactly my point, there is already a prototype of car that can operate without a driver (one benz bus). That alone will eliminate the need for drivers. Since the emergence of telephone, postal offices have seen huge decline in revenue. Nobody writes letters anymore. With various apps here & there & internet growing at a fast pace, the need to have marketers will generally decline in future. Xiaomi has been using this approach since, marketing their phones via Online forums & its been working greatly for them. Yes technology will make life easy for us, make us lazy but it will gradually replace human labour.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by docadams: 8:21am On Jul 27, 2016
Old habits die hard so buying recharge cards has stuck with me.
Two years ago I veered unto online recharge but guess what, my spending on the network increased dramatically. Any request for airtime was instantaneously granted with little or no hesitation. Along the line, deductions without crediting my line cropped in. The worst one was when ecobank deducted N18k from my account for a 3k transaction. Up till this moment the issue is lost in transit between the bank, quickteller and poor me.
For now, I am cool with recharge cards.
Re: How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR. by micsade(f): 8:27am On Jul 27, 2016
0955eb027:
The rich is just looking for avenues to make more money without taking into cognizance the effect it will have on the struggling ones. Well, i will not blame them cos thats the way we (animals) are wired, survival of the fittest. Soon, banks will introduce platforms like konga, jumia where all can be purchased, including food stuffs. GOD help the needy.

GTBank is already doing this with their SME MarketHub

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 14% / How To Make $800 Monthly Online Trading Domain Names / Dangote Refinery Will Fetch $6bn Forex Yearly - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.