Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us (968 Views)

How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact / Different Kinds Of People You Will Meet In Nigerian Churches (Meme Collection) / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 9:59am On Jul 27, 2016
Recently, the news that a malnourished 9-year-old boy was rescued at the Celestial Church of Christ Key of Joy Parish Ajiwo on July 22, caused an uproar in Nigeria.

The boy was seen chained in the premises of the church which is located at Ajibawo in Ado-Odo Ota division 2.

That however is not the first time, Nigerians have been shocked by those professing to practice religion.

We have all heard shocking stories about churches at different times. Below are five of the most shocking:

1. Christian Praying Assembly (CPA)

Chukwuemeka Ezeugo aka Reverend King was just a regular Nigerian pastor who shepherded the Christian Praying Assembly (CPA) churches, located in Lagos before 2006, or so people thought.

He was arraigned on September 26, 2006 on a six-count charge of attempted murder, after he was accused of the death of a church member and setting other church members on fire. He was also accused of impregnating several other girls and forcing them into abortions.

The stories were as many as they were disgusting, all pointing to a man whom his church members had come to view as a god of sorts, and who used the power he wielded to commit atrocities.

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 10:06am On Jul 27, 2016
2.Synagogue Church Collapse

On Friday, September 12, 2014, news went around like wildfire, the Synagogue Church of All nations (SCOAN) building at Ikotun-Egbe area of Lagos collapsed, killing 115 people.

The senior pastor of the church, T. B. Joshua has linked the tragedy to a strange aircraft “hovering” above the building shortly before it fell. A video was released on YouTube that allegedly showed the plane hovering around the building before its collapse. However, the coroner’s report unequivocally found the cause to be due to structural failure.

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 10:10am On Jul 27, 2016
3. Winners Pastor Caught With Human Meat

On May 21, 2016 it was reported that a pastor of a Living Faith Church, a k a Winners Chapel Chapel, Adeniyi John, was caught by a mob at Ijomu area of Akure metropolis of Ondo State with pieces of fried meat suspected to be human parts and other fetish paraphernalia.

Amidst the ensuing confusion, the man was moved to the palace of Deji of Akure, where he was quizzed by by chiefs at the palace. The pastor said he was divinely instructed to go and share the meat to save his dying son. The police later reported that some pastors from the church had come to attest that pastor Johnson has mental issues.

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 10:12am On Jul 27, 2016
4. Christ Embassy

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome and his wife, Anita Odegwa Oyakhilome made the news, when the very popular pastor was accused of marital infidelity and unreasonable behavior by his wife.

We first heard about it in in 2014 when Anita reportedly made the first move to severe ties from her estranged husband by filing for divorce in a London court citing irreconcilable differences as reason for her decision.
The church pulled down her profile from their website. Anita went on to blog about what she called a rocky and abusive relationship with pastor Chris.

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 10:14am On Jul 27, 2016
5. Coza Pastor and Ese Walter

The Common Wealth Of Zion Assembly (COZA) was seen in bad light, and still is after a blogger, Ese Walter boldly came out to reveal her affair with Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA (Common Wealth Of Zion Assembly) Abuja chapter.

According to her, her friend recommended the church but asked her not to join any workforce but to remain just a member. She went on to reveal sordid details about the affair. The sex scandal rocked the church and its members for a long time in 2014.

Credit: NAIJ

cc: lalasticlala

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by Emmatdayo(m): 10:18am On Jul 27, 2016
I'll come back when it hits FP
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by DrRasheed: 10:18am On Jul 27, 2016
The kind of pastors politicians used to spread havoc in the name of religion.
Most xtians are forced to hate Muslims not because they found reason to do so. Islam means peace.....ask xtians in yola what peace is in case u foolishly quote me.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by MDsambo: 10:20am On Jul 27, 2016
shocked
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by Emmatdayo(m): 10:20am On Jul 27, 2016
DrRasheed:
Most xtians are forced to hate Muslims not because they found reason to do so. Islam means peace.....ask xtians in yola what peace is in case u foolishly quote me.
lol grin grin grin, bros u say islam means watin? grin grin grin

let me not say wats on my mind b4 them ban me grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by accountbalance: 10:24am On Jul 27, 2016
Oya
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by Juxtified(m): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2016
Almost everything here is false. Synagogue church collapse was hardly the Pastor's fault, more of the building engineers/contractors. There was nothing like a rocky or abusive relationship in the case of Christ Embassy divorce. And as for Winners Pastors supposedly coming out openly to say one of their pastors had mental illness, I reserve my comments.
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 12:06pm On Jul 27, 2016
DrRasheed:

ISIS
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2016
Juxtified:

Synagogue church collapse was hardly the Pastor's fault, more of the building engineers/contractors.

I usually do not insult people but when I do, I do it in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit. grin

If T.B Joshua is not a mentally deranged charlatan; you claim to see vision in Ukraine & prophesy doom about Malaysia but you couldn't see the disaster at your backyard?

The Lagos State government should be held responsible for conniving, promoting & shielding of an international fraudster vis-a-vis sweeping that case under the carpet - even after he was summoned by the tribunal.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by Juxtified(m): 4:18pm On Jul 27, 2016
Zoharariel:

I usually do not insult people but when I do, I do it in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit. grin

If T.B Joshua is not a mentally deranged charlatan; you claim to see vision in Ukraine & prophesy doom about Malaysia but you couldn't see the disaster at your backyard?

The Lagos State government should be held responsible for conniving, promoting & shielding of an international fraudster vis-a-vis sweeping that case under the carpet - even after he was summoned by the tribunal.
You may have a point concerning the visions & stuff, but unfortunately that cannot be used as evidence in the court of law. His building collapsed, this can happen to any building under construction,; whether you see him as a true or false prophet is of no relevance.
In essence all I'm saying is, this is not a case that should be put in the same category as Rev King setting his followers on fire.
Re: 5 Times Nigerian Churches Have Shocked Us by lewispius: 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2016
Zoharariel:

Show some respect.
U don't insult someone using *HIS* name.

TakeNote.

(1) (Reply)

Is This A Gift From God Or What? / Another RCCG Fiasco / To All Muslems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.