Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,517 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone (19912 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery / The Tecno Phantom 6: Things You Didn't Know About The Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by sharpden: 8:39am On Jul 28, 2016

YOU are probably already wondering: Why on earth would anyone be scared or have the fear of talking on the phone? The funny truth is that the fear of making and receiving phone calls is so common it has its own name: phone phobia (also telephone phobia or telephobia). A number of Nigerians who have phones and seem to be married to their devices actually struggle with this “ailment”.

Many phone users find it easy to text with their phones, email on them, navigate with them, and then we play Candy Crush on them, but when it comes to picking up the telephone and talking, it becomes a different ball game. Actually, there are quite a number of reasons why a person might be afraid of phone calls. Jumia Travel, Africa’s No.1 online hotel booking service tries to quell your curiosity by sharing a few reasons why Nigerians sometimes refuse to talk on their phones.

They feel vulnerable
A majority of Nigerians prefer to communicate via e-mail, texts, voice notes and other forms of communication that do not require impromptu response. These forms of communication presents them with the opportunity to edit whatever they want to say and coin it in the best way possible before they send it in. With phone calls, they have to respond immediately and so, they do not have that option of editing themselves. This makes them feel more vulnerable as most become afraid of saying what they will later regret.

Fear of being recorded

No one likes to be recorded unawares, but for some Nigerians, the fear that they will be recorded while having a conversation on the phone is so great that they try to wriggle themselves out of any situation that involves them having to talk on the phone. Some even pick up the phone and refrain from saying anything else other than “yes” or “No”, while others even disguise their voice so it is not easily recognized.

Wasting credit/airtime

This is the number one reason why Nigerians do not talk on the phone. They buy air time which they mostly refer to as “credit” either by topping up or buying cards from registered vendors, but most of the time, the air time runs out so fast that they have to spend a substantial sum to make a long phone call. As a result, some develop this phone phobia and only feel comfortable when texting or communicating via Social Media chat platforms like Whatsapp, Viber or IMO.

Phone voice

When you ask some Nigerians who do not like to make phone calls why they have a phobia for it, they tell you they do not like the way their voice sounds on the phone. It may seem like a very trivial reason, but a number of Nigerians actually refrain from making calls as a result of this.

Past experience

Some Nigerians develop the fear of talking on the phone after having a negative experience over a call, like a breakup or a bad medical diagnosis. They eventually feel extremely anxious whenever they are on calls and go to great lengths to avoid phone calls (even from friends!).

http://.com/why-some-nigerians-are-scared-of-talking-on-the-phone/

10 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Sugarcious(m): 9:04am On Jul 28, 2016
I can relate to number 3 & 4.

OP na which one buhari belong to?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2016
Not scared, just annoying.Beg to differ OP, It's more of a generational problem...The older generation have no problems talking on phone from my observation.

I really hate talking on phone, Just send a message and save me all that shìt. The most annoying is when your fathers uncles granddads cousin calls you and you don't pick, later he complains to your parents like REALLY?

HOW the fvck do you expect me to pick an unknown number, send a text God dammit

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by BuzzRay(m): 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2016
why should any one be afraid of talking on phone?

If youre afraid of speaking on phone, then what about talking one-on-one with someone. Thats the worse case of social phobia.

Some people might be afraid of stammering.

5 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by worlexy(m): 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2016
Fear of always burning airtime and the need to keep recharging everyday is what?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by DONSMITH123(m): 12:23pm On Jul 28, 2016
Sugarcious:
I can relate to number 3 & 4.

OP na which one buhari belong to?

But Op, wetin concern Buhari for this case bow?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by veekid(m): 12:23pm On Jul 28, 2016
I concur
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Netcontactsng1(m): 12:24pm On Jul 28, 2016
So this made FP....??
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
Ermmn.... You say wetin?
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
Fear of someone else listening in

8 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 28, 2016
I really can't relate to any of the points there on a personal note,that's cos none applies to me.
> Fear of someone listening in - you mean eavesdropping or "big brother"? If I wanna have a coded conversation, I would simply switch to french or hausa or Nupe or efik or yoruba as is applicable to my listener.
> Not having a good voice on phone? Nah, not applicable. Those who have heard my phone voice knows wosup.
> Cost of local calls? Yes that's a major factor, buh if I have to make a long conversation, I use data calls.
All in all, self esteem and confidence usually weighs in on phone conversations.
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by tosyne2much(m): 12:27pm On Jul 28, 2016
Wetin my president picture dey find for there? cheesy
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by salabscholar01(m): 12:27pm On Jul 28, 2016
ok

16 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 28, 2016
Op you really try, of all pics to use, it's our Deaf President’s you found appropriate.
If Buhari were to be the poster celeb for a telecom firm, that firm would run down in no time.

3 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by tayooluwole: 12:30pm On Jul 28, 2016
Ah no too they like make I they talk to all these indomie girls generation for phone, they feat kill person with their ceillion dion-like assent on phone, and me way ma voice be like granpa voice for village...

5 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 28, 2016
i can't remember last i called my friends, they are complaining buh i can't help it if u can't call me then forget it

1 Like

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by saintdennis(m): 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2016
I knew the economy was in recession when niqqas started using "whatsapp call" to flash me.

...i'm like thought ya'll claimed whatsapp call was cheaper n better?

3 Likes

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Tonymegabush1(m): 12:32pm On Jul 28, 2016
the place one is at d time of the call determines alot, some odd places might not really allow one to express his/her self but text it's kinda simple, just type, type and type nothing more nothing less............
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nickymezor(f): 12:32pm On Jul 28, 2016
BuzzRay:
Good question cool
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by misterchris(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2016
Flimpsy excuses.
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 28, 2016
BuzzRay:

If youre afraid of speaking on phone, then what about talking one-on-one with someone. Thats the worse case of social phobia.
lols, i don't think so
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Gkemz: 12:43pm On Jul 28, 2016
Especially when your boss at the office is calling you at unexpected time.
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by DavidTheGeek: 12:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
What about the fear of commenting on Nairaland? Nairalaphobia grin

1 Like

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by DrayZee: 12:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
AdaNri1:
Fear of someone else listening in
That's just it...
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by oaroloye(m): 12:47pm On Jul 28, 2016
I prefer that people text me, rather than call me- because that way, I know what they say, and I know they know what I say.
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by seunny4lif(m): 12:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
I can't relate to anyone

1 Like

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by Emeka71(m): 12:53pm On Jul 28, 2016
Maybe fear of people hearing your dirty hustle.
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by nabiz(m): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
I think i am different. I hate text massaging especially whatsapp if no because of sending pictures or videos. Text massagging to me is a waist of time. To me its cheaper to call than to send message considering time factor. I like to go straight to point when i am talking to some.

It annoys me when some of my clients communicte to me through whatsapp that sometime i will end up calling when they want to enquire about my job

Imaging i use a smart phone but till now never care to activate my bbm messenger. I spend an average of 800 naira every day on recharge card

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by centboy123456(m): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
Can some one tech me how to post Trend on NL pls some one to tech me I really need to post some trend
Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by DTRUMPER: 12:58pm On Jul 28, 2016
worlexy:
Fear of always burning airtime and the need to keep recharging everyday is what?

POVERTY, POVERTY, POVERTY

one more time POVERTY

1 Like

Re: Why Some Nigerians Are Scared Of Talking On The Phone by OneManLegion(m): 1:12pm On Jul 28, 2016
vanquay69:
Beg to differ OP, It's more of a generational problem...The older generation have no problems talking on phone from my observation.

I really hate talking on phone, Just send a message and save me all that shìt. The most annoying is when your fathers uncles granddads cousin calls you and you don't pick, later he complains to your parents like REALLY?

HOW the fvck do you expect me to pick an unknown number, send a text God dammit

I always knew that behind your brusque "bad guy" demeanor, lies an effeminate, shy, timid get-inside boy.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cool Mobile Games / My Nitel Sim Card / 13 Categories Of People That Use Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.