Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

What's Next After Secondary School?? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's Next After Secondary School?? (5749 Views)

After Secondary School.. Where Are You? / Secondary School Where Students Sit On The Floor For Classes In Lagos (Photos) / 3 Things To Do After Secondary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's Next After Secondary School?? by Adefaze(m): 1:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
http://www.adefazeblog.com/2016/07/life-after-high-college-school-secondary-university.html
Congratulation to the newly graduated high school students, Class of 2016! A big well done applause to you. You’ve adhered through your secondary school years, and have made it out the other side. Well done! Again.

Just like me, you’re left thinking “what’s the next thing to do?”. You dont have to worry coz this post is for those of you who just graduated from secondary school and are preparing to continue your journey to either a university, polytechnic or colleges of education.

Whether you loved or hated your school, you still can’t forget that school building and structure that you called home. Graduation can be a bit of memory. Suddenly you’re not a secondary school student anymore, and you’re not a university student yet. You’re just an adult, but you’re (maybe) still living at home with your parents/guardian. You’ve just accomplished one of life’s greatest important events, and you have the next on the range of experience.

The period between my graduation and the first day of polytechnic was one of the longest, slowest, and best moments of my life. I graduated in early July 2012, but my Polytechnic in Ede, didn’t resume until late November that same year. More than four months of undefined time was ahead of me, and I was nearly crazy trying to figure out what to do with all those empty days.

Here’s my advice on what to do with your time between secondary school graduation and higher education. It’s somewhat based on what I did, and somewhat based on what I wish I’d done. I recommend you take the time both to look back and to plan forward.

What to do during those period before higher institution
1. READ! READ!!
Yea! Read lot of books. The period before I went to polytechnic, I booked an appointment to meet of one of my old tutors, asking for recommendations on what to do before going to polytechnic. His advice which I think was helpful was that I should dust my textbooks and start reading broadly again.

The key thing is, you’ll be reading more in higher institution than you ever have in your entire life. Let reading be your habit. Read some books you might see again, or might help you identify areas of particular interest. Read something on a subject or you’ve never encountered before. Find something different and exciting. And read and read and read.

2. TRAVEL
Whether you can take a long distance trip with friends or family, or whether this means just wandering through different parts of your city where you grew up. Go see the tourist attractions in your hometown. Visit museums, amusement parks, zoos. Get lost somewhere near home, and find your way back. Travel by bike, on foot, on a road trip. Travel to a different state. Just do something new.
Traveling is a great way to take advantage of this time, and you'll be glad of the stories when everyone asks what you’re doing with this period. Learn to travel, and see what you find.

3. SPEND TIME WITH FAMILY AND OLD FRIENDS
Spend some time with all the people who are important to you. Your relationship with these set of people will inevitably change when you leave for school. Some friends you keep, and some will fade a bit. Take time to build some new memories with everyone who has been helpful to your journey up until this point.

4. WORK
I highly recommend a part time job. Ideally a somewhat flexible one. Do it for the adventures that money will buy, or the experience you can put on your CV because sometimes even not fun jobs can lead to cool opportunities in the future.

5. ACQUIRE SKILLS
Do a bit of preparation, Learn to do something: To cook some basic meals, Learn some computer packages, and learn some basic tech fixes and troubleshooting while you’re at it. If you’ll be driving at school, find out how to look after your car if you haven’t already.
Take a little survey of all of the things grown ups have to do to make one week smoothly follow the one before. Can you do these things? If not, this is a great moment to ask for help while still at home.

6. CLEAN UP
Mostly what I mean by this is, pack up all the childhood stuff that is less meaningful to you now. That doesn’t mean throwing everything away unless you absolutely have to, I know I had about eleven pairs of under wears I hadn’t put on in years, but was keeping, just in case. If it’s important, keep it. If it’s not, pack it up, give it away, or dispose it. You’ll be happy to have less untidy stuff to deal with when you come back.

7. DREAM
Dream about wonderful and beautiful stuff. Write some lists of things you hope you’ll do someday. Make lists of skills you want to learn and concepts you’d like to understand. Write out places you’d like to visit and experiences you’d like to have. Do some dreaming and some scheming. Let yourself go down paths of wild imaginings.

Keep these mostly to yourself, or to particularly close friends. This is not a list of set-in-stone plans for your life. This is letting yourself imagine all that could be, and should be kept for reference and inspiration.
Keep these lists. Write down their dates. Write new ones as time goes on. Then you’ll never be stuck for ideas when you find yourself with time on your hands.

8. LEARN NEW THINGS
Learn one new thing, from start to finish. Maybe it’s something practical, like how to create a website or how to speak different languages or First Aid. Or how to sing, play drums or guitar.
Learn how to motivate yourself and how to manage your time, and also, teaching yourself something is awesome.

9. SAY THANK YOU
Take a bit of time to appreciate and affirm all those who have supported you in life thus far. Send thank-you greetings, letters or emails. Thank old teachers, tutors, bosses, family friends, mentors, and friends. This is good practice at all times in your life, but particularly when closing one chapter and moving to the next. Write a list and send a few words to all those who’ve helped you so far. Showing gratitude is one of the truest virtues, and thanking the people who have helped you is one of the best things you can do for making the world a better place.

10. DON’T WORRY
Try really, really hard not to worry. University will have its own challenges too, but you will find your suitable place. Make friends, get through your classes, and generally find your way through. Relax, deep breaths, and enjoy this period!.

http://www.adefazeblog.com/2016/07/life-after-high-college-school-secondary-university.html

If this article is helpful, please check out my other post Seven Reasons Why You'll Always Be Broke As Student and The Best Way To Deal With A Bad Result cc Fynestboi, olawalebabs, Richiez, lalasticlala, seun.
Re: What's Next After Secondary School?? by Lulumusic: 2:09pm On Jul 28, 2016
You can also learn trades that you can utilize. Like acting

(1) (Reply)

Fate Of Those With 2 Sittings In Unilag / WAEC Syllabus 2017 - PDF Copy For Mobile And Desktop. / Why Would The Worlds Smartest Man Give This Wicked Advice Before He Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.