Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,919 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting (23016 Views)

Lighting Fittings Installer; Chandelier, Wall Bracket, Fence Light ,POP Led ETC / Checkout Our Latest Chandelier Lighting Fittings And Wall Brackets. / Quality Iflux LED Indoor/outdoor Lighting For Your Home/property Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 3:09pm On Jul 28, 2016
There's a revolution in the lighting market, and the catalyst is the light-emitting diode technology, better known as LED

An LED lamp is a light-emitting diode product which is assembled into a lamp (or light bulb) for use in lighting fixtures. LED lamps have a lifespan and electrical efficiency which are several times longer than incandescent lamps, and significantly more efficient than most fluorescent lamps, with some chips able to emit more than 300 lumens per watt (as claimed by some LED manufacturers). The LED lamp market is projected to grow by more than twelve-fold over the next decade

LED LIGHTING IS CURRENTLY WITHOUT QUESTION, THE SMART WAY TO GO

Over the years, lighting technology has evolved from the use of incandescent bulbs, to CFLs (spiral bulbs) and now LEDs. A significant difference from other light sources is that the light is more directional, i.e., emitted as a narrower beam. LED lamps are used for both general and special-purpose lighting. White-light LED lamps have longer life expectancy and higher efficiency (more light for the same electricity) than most other lighting when used at the proper temperature

...contd

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by preggi(m): 3:13pm On Jul 28, 2016
Waiting for your update. Pls also include the different types and if possible prices.

Thank you
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 3:15pm On Jul 28, 2016
preggi:
Waiting for your update. Pls also include the different types and if possible prices.

Thank you
I will in due course,
have to post in bits, the spambot appears to have a hardon for my moniker
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by preggi(m): 6:05pm On Jul 28, 2016
allCopacetic:

I will in due course,
have to post in bits, the spambot appears to have a hardon for my moniker
Ok thanks will be on the look out
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 8:28pm On Jul 28, 2016
Advantages

-Reduction in energy costs — uses at least 80% less energy than incandescent lighting, saving on operating expenses.

-Reduction in maintenance costs — lasts 35 to 50 times longer than incandescent lighting and about 2 to 5 times longer than fluorescent lighting (for good qualities).

-LEDs produce very little heat.

-Is durable — won’t break like a bulb.

-Brightness is equal to or greater than existing lighting technologies (incandescent or fluorescent) and light is well distributed over the area lit by the fixture.

-Light output remains constant over time, only decreasing towards the end of the rated lifetime (at least 35,000 hours or 12 years based on use of 8 hours per day).

-Excellent color quality. The shade of white light appears clear and consistent over time.

LED technology is now available for almost every form of lighting fixture or need: Chandeliers, wall lamps (indoor and outdoor), spotlights, drop/pendant lights etc
LED lamps are sensitive to excessive heat, their efficiency and life span drop at higher temperatures, this emphasizes the need for a quality/brand that is well made and incorporates materials with proper heat dissipation characteristics and elements

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2016
[size=13pt]LED products can be playfully categorized into two… , ones that are made in factories like this....[/size]

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 9:47pm On Jul 30, 2016
[size=13pt]And then others that are made in places like thiss…..[/size].

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 9:51pm On Jul 30, 2016
[size=13pt]As expected our markets are flooded with the later. 80-85% of LED panel lights in the Nigerian Market, are generic products that carry drivers like the attached....
they'll come in different packages with different brand names on the packets but they are basically and essentially the same
[/size]

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2016
Generic products are generally cheap, mass produced options. They can be said to be made to no particular standard or quality index. They carry no branding or distinguishing feature . So anybody can print a pack with a brand name and package these generic lamps in it. One of the most important parts of an LED lamp is the LED driver. This converts AC to DC which the LEDs require to work. So when you buy any LED lamp look out for the quality of that driver.

So What do you look out for in an LED driver ? and how do the branded differ or distinguish themselves from the generic.

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 10:01pm On Jul 30, 2016
1. Build quality and finish
generic drivers are generally very light and flimsy looking, Print quality is poor, quality of material used is low/cheap .this includes the electronic components and plastic enclosure. But since you cannot see the resistors, capacitors or diodes used in the lamps but you can see the attached cables .. you can use that as an indication of the general build quality.
Look at the big distinction between the quality of cables used for the generic and two different branded types

if you also compare the build quality and finish of the plastic enclosure you'll notice even in the pictures that there's a great difference between the generic in the picture above this post and the two branded below

...contd

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 10:16pm On Jul 30, 2016
2.Branding
you don’t manufacture a good product and then not bother to put your identity on it; Well made products are well and very clearly branded to sell the brand name through the quality it has built into it. avoid products with unbranded drivers.

In the pictues above the brand trademark/logo on the LED drivers for both Original Torch and Ossymac are unmistakable, same applies to other quality branded products

....contd.

2 Likes

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by preggi(m): 10:35pm On Jul 30, 2016
allCopacetic:
2.Branding
you don’t manufacture a good product and then not bother to put your identity on it; Well made products are well and very clearly branded to sell the brand name through the quality it has built into it. avoid products with unbranded drivers.

In the pictues above the brand trademark/logo on the LED drivers for both Original Torch and Ossymac are unmistakable, same applies to other quality branded products

....contd.
Good one bro. Is it possible to convert my already "bulb installed" building to a LED type?

Following with keen interest

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 11:02pm On Jul 30, 2016
preggi:
Good one bro. Is it possible to convert my already "bulb installed" building to a LED type?

Following with keen interest
Definitely,
though that would depend on the kind of fixtures and fittings you want to replace. These days there are LED versions of almost every type of lamp or bulb.
I'll be showing a couple later.
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by preggi(m): 1:56am On Jul 31, 2016
allCopacetic:

Definitely,
though that would depend on the kind of fixtures and fittings you want to replace. These days there are LED versions of almost every type of lamp or bulb.
I'll be showing a couple later.
okay, following
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by Konkoshia(f): 7:00am On Jul 31, 2016
Faraday will be so proud

3 Likes

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by sholatech(m): 7:02am On Jul 31, 2016
Enlightening. I expect we have a legislation one day making it compulsory for all Nigerian buildings to use LED lighting to reduce our energy consumption. Once LED becomes more affordable. For now, Philips LED bulbs go for about 1k each

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by talk2riel: 7:04am On Jul 31, 2016
but they are expensive and fragile. 6*6 feet cost well above 18000 , a little trip from the choke and the fitting is gone

3 Likes

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by DMerciful(m): 7:09am On Jul 31, 2016
K
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by power900: 7:11am On Jul 31, 2016
Basically techs like this should also be quite cheaper right?
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by chefremy(m): 7:14am On Jul 31, 2016
i heard that someone must not look at those light's directly for long,cuz it damages the eye...
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by igahdavid(m): 7:18am On Jul 31, 2016
Very nice

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by Dottore: 7:19am On Jul 31, 2016
This is another beautiful post.

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by Shabib(m): 7:27am On Jul 31, 2016
Nice!
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by chicoMX(m): 7:41am On Jul 31, 2016
chefremy:
i heard that someone must not look at those light's directly for long,cuz it damages the eye...

The same goes for every kind of lights, not just LED
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by chincent: 7:49am On Jul 31, 2016
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by pointstores(m): 8:01am On Jul 31, 2016
led bulb all the way does not generate heat
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by happydays1(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2016
Led flood light, led moving messages

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by allCopacetic: 8:08am On Jul 31, 2016
happydays1:
Led flood light, led moving messages
please open a thread for your advertising. Kindly remove this or i'll be forced to report this post

1 Like

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by ITbomb(m): 8:11am On Jul 31, 2016
Technological innovations were supposed to make things better, faster and cheaper.

In Nigeria, new products with almost the same capabilites as the previous products tends to be more expensive
Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by omonighoblessing(f): 8:16am On Jul 31, 2016
Good job op. this is more or less my seminar in my final year.
OLED ;organic light emitting diode.
more like the advance of LED.
OLED IS THE PRESENT OF LED NOW.....
the new technology Samsung and most highly rated technology brands uses.
giving a perfect feature with the 3D/HD
welcome to the future of technology!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting by topsy23: 8:23am On Jul 31, 2016
Good idea brother.....my concern these days is the chaina made LED light that are flooded in nigeria market. There is a panel LED light I bought from Locks&Switches at Lagos island, one LED of 220mm diameter is N12,800

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

An Estate For Sale In Port-harcourt, Rivers State, C Of O Available / My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. / Cost Per Sq M Of Aluminium Roofing Step Tiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.