Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,764 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian (24114 Views)

Body Of Executed Seck Osmane Buried In Indonesia / Take Away From Indonesia Executions (Video) / Osmane, Ejike And Titus-Igweh Before They Were Executed In Indonesia (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 28, 2016
Indonesia Thursday rejected appeals from the UN and EU to halt the execution of 14 drug convicts including foreigners, as speculation mounted they could face the firing squad in a matter of hours.

The group, including foreigners from Nigeria, Pakistan, India and Zimbabwe as well as Indonesians, have been placed in isolation on a prison island where Jakarta carries out executions.

Authorities stepped up preparations with ambulances carrying coffins seen crossing over to Nusakambangan island. Family members say they have been told the convicts will be executed Thursday night, according to a lawyer and diplomat — who were angry as it was earlier than they thought was allowed.

The attorney general’s office, which oversees executions, could not be reached for comment.

Indonesia last carried out executions in April 2015 when it put to death eight drug convicts, including two Australians, sparking international outrage.

But President Joko Widodo has defended the use of the death penalty to combat rising narcotics use.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein on Wednesday called on Indonesia to end the “unjust” use of the death penalty, while the European Union urged Jakarta to stop the “cruel and inhumane punishment, which fails to act as a deterrent”.

Indonesian foreign ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir defended the looming executions as “pure law enforcement”.

“I need to emphasise that all the legal processes of the convicts have been completed, all their rights have been fulfilled — we target the drug traffickers and not users,” he said.

Jakarta faced accusations of breaking its own laws by apparently planning to hold the executions on Thursday.

Diplomats and lawyers say they were given the legally required three days notice of the plan on Tuesday afternoon and believed the earliest it could happen was Friday.

– “This cannot happen” –

“I am very concerned — this cannot happen,” Ricky Gunawan, a lawyer for a Nigerian convict set to face the firing squad, told AFP.

“It is clearly against the law. This execution has been completely under secrecy from the start.”

Four citizens from Indonesia and ten others from Nigeria, India, South Africa, Pakistan and Zimbabwe would be executed, said lawyers from the Jakarta-based Community Legal Aid Institute, who had visited some of the inmates in prison this week.

Syed Zahid Raza, deputy Pakistani ambassador in Jakarta, said the family of a Pakistani man, Zulfiqar Ali, had been informed he would be executed Thursday night.

Spokesman Nasir said his ministry had fulfilled all their obligations by notifying foreign representatives.

But Amnesty International outlined Wednesday “systematic flaws” in the trials of several of the death row inmates, and warned the executions could not proceed while appeals for clemency were pending.

Family members of Michael Titus Igweh, a Nigerian prisoner, said his case was still under review.

“I don’t think this is fair. They should fulfil his legal rights first,” Igweh’s sister-in-law Nila, who gave just one name, told reporters in Cilacap.

Pakistan is angry about the planned execution of Ali — whom rights groups claim was beaten into confessing — and summoned Indonesia’s ambassador in Islamabad this week.

Ali’s claims of innocence were backed by a senior Indonesian official, who found numerous “inconsistencies” during an internal investigation into his arrest and trial for heroin possession in the late 2000s.

Hafid Abbas, former director-general of Indonesia’s Ministry of Justice, told AFP that he had recommended the now 52-year-old receive clemency as he was an “innocent person”.

A candlelit vigil will be held outside the presidential palace in Jakarta on Thursday evening, just hours before the 14 prisoners are expected to face a midnight firing squad.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/indonesia-rejects-international-pleas-halt-executions-nigerian/

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by alade112(m): 4:38pm On Jul 28, 2016
Law is Law Every person has his/her choice to obey or disobey the Laws. Your choice determines the consequences. Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of his choices They knew the consequences before Smuggling drugs into indonesia

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Luckylife(m): 4:39pm On Jul 28, 2016
Clemency is all concerned person beg for but law is law made by man for man to adapt and be free.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Akshow: 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2016
E don be for them. Unfortunately others will not take cue and learn from this. Next week you will still hear that a Nigerian has been caught again. Don't they know the consequences of their exploits is death? I will rather be a 'lazy' man and earn an honest living than kill myself in a get rich quick scheme.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by johnstar(m): 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2016
embarassed

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by rattlesnake(m): 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2016
Fuck1mg retards Indonesia

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by veekid(m): 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2016
Indonesia no b joke nw

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Ahmedhussain3463: 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
if u are in rome behave like d romans

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by sbabimbola(f): 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
Say No to DRUG PUSHING!
SO SAD SHA

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by NameChecker: 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
They made their laws so visible. One will see them at every of
their entry point. The victims also saw it but preferred the Thug life

***Get Rich Or Die Trying***

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Weedcrusher: 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
It is quite obvious that countries like Indonesia and Malaysia are strict on their drug related offenses. I will advise my fellow Nigerians to desist from this act because your life worth than the risk. But if you're hell bent on drug smuggling which I strongly object, do so in countries that value life more, and where the maximum jail term you can get is 25 years

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Akinz0126(m): 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
IndOnisia no gree halt dere execution sentence ooooo Abeg na which kind drum we go beat 4 dis kynd gbedu now?makr buhari follow beg them now But him go say dis1 sef pass corruption corruption sef better pass this crime

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2016
FP embarassedFP

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by ChappyChase: 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2016
None of my business!
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by YourNemesis: 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2016
sad sad angry
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Goldenheart(m): 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2016
Indonesia no dey hear 'oga please'

Na this kain system Nigeria needs to punish polithieves

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2016
Scapegoats must be made...Examples must be set
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Toluabigr8(m): 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2016
Those flat head isreal jew will not learn from dis now

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Eluwilussit(m): 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2016
They are free to follow their laws. If the penalty is death, so be it. Wages of sin is death afterall. Hustle is never easy.
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Feranchek(m): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
Terrible

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Beehshorp(m): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
Ever since APC came into power dis country has turned to a joke.... U don't expect them to listen to us when sometime not long ago shiites were murdered and the FG still has their leader in custody or is it the unjust killing of Igbos or the fulani herdsmen rampant killing? This nation is not in any position to beg for human life cos we don't even value d one we av here

9 Likes

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Curvinus(m): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
Afonja, food is ready...come and continue your interminable drivel

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by anabellabul(f): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
Too bad
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by dridowu: 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
Beehshorp:
Ever since APC came into power dis country has turned to a joke.... U don't expect them to listen to us when sometime not long ago shiites were murdered and the FG still has their leader in custody or is it the unjust killing of Igbos or the fulani herdsmen rampant killing? This nation is not in any position to beg for human life cos we don't even value d one we av here
the following were executed in 2014 due to drug trafficking
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31851707
Raheem Agbaje Salami
Martin Anderson
Sylvester Obiekwe Nwolise
Okwudili Oyatanze
Which party was in power ? APC
If you don't know Indonesia don't condone drug trafficking, so my brother leave party out of this and focus on those that want to make fast money through drug trafficking in Indonesia.
Right from beginning to end of visa processing to Indonesia it is clearly written that drug trafficking punishment in Indonesia is death. The attached image is found at the arrival hall of all Indonesia international airport

32 Likes

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by VocalWalls: 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
I'm really pitying them...

It's their laws; however, considering that the average prison sentence for sex traffickers is only seven years in Indonesia, I would say they might want to re-evaluate their ethics.

Fact is that Indonesia does not fvck around when it comes to enforcing its anti-narcotics laws.

How To Install 3d Home Wallpapers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by translux(m): 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
some one should help me to move this to front page because i don't know how to do that I received the shock of my life today from God he told me in a vision that do you know that 93.71% of the world population are not BORN AGAIN! that only 6.29% are truly born again. and that there are so many born again in the 93.71% that God did not recognised Evangelist Dare Bajomo pls ask for God grace
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by Akshow: 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
Beehshorp:
for real? Apc is to blame for some bunch of criminals who choose to smuggle drug than earn an honest living? Wow. Clap for yourself.

19 Likes

Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by ALAYORMII: 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
Why go there when you know the penalty for such crime is death ??

May God rest their souls
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by ibkgab001: 6:51pm On Jul 28, 2016
Rules are meant to be broken ... RIP in advance to my brother from the other divides
Re: Indonesia Rejects International Pleas To Halt Executions Of Nigerian by johnson232: 6:51pm On Jul 28, 2016
make indonesia dey do anyhow now... one day a very important citizen of dat country will also be in the trap of another country... what goes around comes around...

still can't rationalise how death punishment equates drug trafficing...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

23-year-old Armed Robber Apprehended In Army Uniform. Photo / Rape Scandal: "Mustapha Sued Me", By Sugabelly. / Fights Over Girlfriends By Cultist Claim Three Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.