Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,624 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club (8226 Views)

Latest Book On Amazon.com / Author Of Say You're One Of Them Visits Usf On Wednesday, November 18, At 4 Pm / What Is John Grisham's Latest Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Ndipe(m): 8:27pm On Sep 18, 2009
Oprah's book club pick: Say You're One of Them
The new pick for Oprah's Book Club appears to be "Say You're One of Them," Uwen Akpan's collection of short stories about the lives of African children. News reports in The Washington Post and other media provide a peek at the pick, which Oprah plans to announce later today on her show. (Update: Oprah has made the pick official.) It's been a while between picks -- the last one, about a year ago, was David Wroblewski's "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." It became an instant best seller, of course.

Akpan's book should be a refreshing counterpoint to the frenzy over "The Lost Symbol." (I shudder to think what would have happened if Oprah had chosen Dan Brown's book for her club -- the resulting storm would have been like the earth and moon colliding.)

If you want to get a head start on Akpan's book, you can read two of the stories, "An Ex-Mas Feast" and "My Parents' Bedroom," on The New Yorker's website. And here's Akpan describing his collection, as it was being written: "I would like to see a book about how children are faring in these endless conflicts in Africa. I would like to really know how kids are dealing with the genocide in Darfur. What is the torment like for a child who went through the tsunami? I would like to get into the head of a kid soldier in Sierra Leone. It is scary and painful. And the world is not looking."

Posted by Dave Rosenthal at 12:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/books/blog/2009/09/oprahs_book_club_pick_say_your.html
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Gamine(f): 9:38pm On Sep 18, 2009
I heard this today

I will try to look for the book.

Oprah's endorsement is gonna do wonders for him
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by kech(f): 10:05pm On Sep 18, 2009
Just watched Oprah and heard it. This should make front page. Seun please take note.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by semid4lyfe(m): 10:10pm On Sep 18, 2009
Nice! Oprah fit helep am move units.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Ndipe(m): 10:30pm On Sep 18, 2009
The novel is almost guaranteed to be an instant bestseller. This will be a great financial windfall for him. And he is the first African whose novel has been choosen on Oprah's book club. Kudos to him.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 18, 2009
will read it.

Is Oprah trying to cash in on Tinapa and any other expected windfall? grin (she'd better not hold her breath- Nigeria can turn out the opposite of what someone expected oh)

but seriously, we need more new writers in Nigeria.

offtopic:

Currently I'm looking for a book which won the prize for modern Arabic fiction (middle eastern author)- I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Gamine(f): 3:15am On Sep 19, 2009
Just read one story out of the book.
Sad. It almost drove me to tears . .almost

The writing was rather domestic, and the dialogue,
too much for me.

Still, its worth reading.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Builder: 12:42pm On Sep 22, 2009
this is what that useless Dora Akinyuli be encouraging, building schools and giving scholarships to exemplary students, thus producing more wole shoyinka, chinua achebe and uwen akpan , instead the useless woman is busy banning anything with the name nigeria in it
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Kenezi: 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2009
I thought she considered all Nigerians as worthless thieves? Why get happy over anything she does.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by franctony(m): 1:58pm On Sep 22, 2009
pls is this Uwem Akpan the same Fr. Uwem Akpan of Nigeria who won an award for his book sometime this year
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2009
franctony:

pls is this Uwem Akpan the same Fr. Uwem Akpan of Nigeria who won an award for his book sometime this year

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwem_Akpan

Am proud of the dude.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by bawomolo(m): 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kenezi:

I thought she considered all Nigerians as worthless thieves? Why get happy over anything she does.

umm oprah didn't say such a thing
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by CrudeOil2(m): 3:18pm On Sep 22, 2009
And so what?
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by ufot(m): 4:55pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kudos to Akwa ibom/Cross River, Long Live Niaja!!!!!
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Gamine(f): 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kudos to Akwa ibom/Cross River,

it was only a matter of time, until they turned it tribal

*sigh*
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2009
Gamine:

*sigh*
tribe is etched in the soul of some of these vermin who call themselves Nigerians! sorry,but that's how strongly i feel about it.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by baekdoosan(m): 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2009
WHO CARES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! My book is on kiss my as.s dot com
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Bawss1(m): 7:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
Gamine:

*sigh*

Astute observation. Watch how they'll tribalise the whole thing.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by kok(m): 8:37pm On Sep 22, 2009
Good news! shows Nigeria has got lot of stuffs to offer.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by franctony(m): 9:39pm On Sep 22, 2009
nuzo:

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwem_Akpan

Am proud of the dude.
really proud of him. not surprised though, you dont bet to get anything less from these catholic Jesuits. you need to hear this priest's preaching in Lagos whenever he's in the country. it's more of lectures.

Long Live the Jesuits
LOng Live the Catholic Priesthood
Long Live the Catholics (I'd always proudly say I'm one of them)
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Gamine(f): 9:47pm On Sep 22, 2009
really proud of him. not surprised though, you dont bet to get anything less from these catholic Jesuits. you need to hear this priest's preaching in Lagos whenever he's in the country. it's more of lectures.

Long Live the Jesuits
LOng Live the Catholic Priesthood
Long Live the Catholics (I'd always proudly say I'm one of them)

It was only a matter of time until they turned it Religious
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by MyneWhite1(f): 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kudos to the author, have read one of the stories on New Yorker was quite good.

Gamine what do you mean by domestic or dialogue is too much for you?

Maybe you can check out my story and give me some feedback. Thanks.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Gamine(f): 10:32pm On Sep 22, 2009
Domestic, well. , as in 'tame' 'safe'

Too much dialogue. .just as it implies

i dont like many books were the characters
constantly talk to each other in "" <present time>
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by iammodel(m): 11:01pm On Sep 22, 2009
so proud of the guy.

am working on a book too.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by SEFAGO(m): 12:07am On Sep 23, 2009
I saw this was the most searched stuff on yahoo, yay, the guy is going to help me get ass. When I tell girls that i am from nigeria this what they would think about, not 419 angry
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by sley4life(m): 12:15am On Sep 23, 2009
ok, spam bot dont chase me ooh
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Tats(m): 12:24am On Sep 23, 2009
Gamine:

*sigh*

Gamine:

This was hilarious! Got me laughing crazily,

Anyway, good job done by Uwem. I will be ordering the book soonest.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by spoilt(f): 12:35am On Sep 23, 2009
Dont know what to make of his writing style. Seems all over the place with too many minor details.

What do i know. . , . . . . as long as Oprah endorses it. it'll sell like hot cake. Congrats to him.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by dipo2much(m): 2:17am On Sep 23, 2009
Gamine:

shameful.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by nigboy(m): 4:30am On Sep 23, 2009
The guy surely make millions
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Utaroz(m): 7:21am On Sep 23, 2009
Good one. I'd love to get a copy.
Re: Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club by Nezan(m): 1:39pm On Sep 23, 2009
thank God for this. our politicians, bankers and yahoo-yahoo guys have really given us a bad name.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism / 16 Notes On How To End A Life By Akachi Chukwuemeka. UNN Suicidal Student / Do You Blog?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.