Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria (25510 Views)

12 Graduates With Min Of Second Class Lower & Has 1-2 Years Of Experience / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Nduway(m): 4:42pm On Aug 01, 2016
Graduated from the department of chemical engineering three years ago with a second class lower and up till now it's been difficult securing does juicy appointment all because a system in place has discriminated and down played the relevance of result lower than 2.1. My people how can we put an end to this menace in Nigeria. Your honest opinion!

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
Lolsss... even 1st class and 2.1 never see juicy appointment, and you con dey complain...

Moreover kip pushing... some pple have higher grades buh dey are.overlooked for 'man know man' connection, make dem kill demselves??

Wat about 3rd class from private universities nko?? kini ki won shey??

Kip applying bro, work on ur CV, study more and kip the faith...

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Nduway(m): 8:06pm On Aug 01, 2016
My brother u talk true o. Guy make man hustle hard, there is light at the end of the tunnel

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by chyna4luv: 9:00pm On Aug 01, 2016
Nduway:
Graduated from the department of chemical engineering three years ago with a second class lower and up till now it's been difficult securing does juicy appointment all because a system in place has discriminated and down played the relevance of result lower than 2.1. My people how can we put an end to this menace in Nigeria. Your honest opinion!

Everybody have one deficiency or the other, ranging from HND/Bsc dichotomy, plight of 2.2 in Nigeria etc.

The simple truth is that nothing can be done to curb this. Maybe you don't know that there are lots 1.1 and 2.1 graduates still searching for job or it might interest you to know that my own plight is HND/Bsc dichotomy, it really affecting me so much in my place of work even a just recruited Bsc becomes Head and team leads but I have a plan and focus.

So, have a plan too. I believe for you to say juice offer it means you currently have something doing. Hold onto it while searching for a better job.

Regards.

Chyna.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by delightz(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2016
My honest opinion
In the race of life, there is no "we" . Just say how can "I" put an end to this.........? Because those who you think are supporting you may only be checking and assessing your level of progress.

Your 2:2 is not the reason why you don't have the job you desire.
Ask yourself. For the past 3 years, What else have you acquired outside your certificate? I know the system in Naija tends to focus on grades, but outside that, there are still some some big companies out there that consider skills and productivity. How have u been able to manage yourself since graduation?
Think of what you actually want, look inward and search for your biggest weakness, work on it, stop accusing your result. What do you see as the biggest obstacle to your desired job? Analyse these thoughts and see if there wont be at least a head way.
Lastly, dont give up.
I applied for more dan 400 jobs before securing my present job.

Your are closer to your breakthrough than you think.

125 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by DICKtator: 6:49am On Aug 02, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by listenersky: 6:50am On Aug 02, 2016
God help us
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by chimah3(m): 6:50am On Aug 02, 2016
Lol, you complaining!! What will 3rd class folks do!?

Anyway package yourself and your cv...write certification exams and advance yourself...get a masters if possible...juicy jobs will come knocking!!!

10 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by veekid(m): 6:50am On Aug 02, 2016
angry
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by hatchetman(m): 6:51am On Aug 02, 2016
chairman i dont think its because of d second class...upper sef...its not just ur tym...pray and wait on d lord broa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by adioolayi(m): 6:51am On Aug 02, 2016
It's so unfortunate many second class lower found themselves in that class of degree... from experience, not that they cant make better grade but are mostly caused by early I DONT CARE attitudes towards serious academic activities during their early stages at the Institution.. This is evident in their outstanding performances towards their final semesters...which cannot make up again for the lost times.

Job experience can be a solution at times, take up a lower cadre job...get experience and opportunity can come to move to a better job position.

Lesson for the undergraduate, universities make use of CUMULATIVE GRADING SYSTEM ..every semester counts....It is always good to start very strong to finish well...U can't just wakeup one day and say you want to perform a magic ..even 5.00 GPA may not be a solution

17 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by KillerBeauty(f): 6:51am On Aug 02, 2016
Its not about grade. Just develop itself in any way possible.
The sky will be your limit.
Me wen get 2.1 where d job

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by busyfishing(m): 6:52am On Aug 02, 2016
delightz:
My honest opinion
In the rase of life, there is no "we" . Just say how can "I" put and end to this.........? Because those who you think are supporting you may only be checking and assessing your level of progress.

Ask yourself. For the past 3 years, What else have you acquired outside your certificate? I know the system in Naija tends to focus on grades, but outside that, there are still some some big companies out there that consider skills and productivity. How have u been able to manage yourself since graduation?
Think of what you actually want, look inward and search for your biggest weakness, work on it, stop accusing your result. What do you see as the biggest obstacle to your desired job? Analyse these thoughts and see if there wont be at least a head way.
Lastly, dont give up.

GBAM!!!

8 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Pavore9: 6:52am On Aug 02, 2016
When there are many with 2.1 still in the "mama thank you" situation. Graduates should think outside the box and engage their minds constructively as no matter how messed up the economy is, there is an opportunity waiting to be explored.

6 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 02, 2016
Start gathering experience, do some volunteer jobs. If you'd starred 3 years ago by now you'd have amassed 3years working experience. Also, you possibly would have gotten a paid job elsewhere. It's never too late, best wishes cool

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by ikombe: 6:53am On Aug 02, 2016
KillerBeauty:
Its not about grade. Just develop itself in any way possible.
The sky will be your limit.
Me wen get 2.1 where d job
chai grin

This babe no go kill me cheesy
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by eph12(m): 6:54am On Aug 02, 2016
Your grade has nothing to do with why you are not yet employed. There are a lot of 2.2 graduates doing very fine even in engineering. Also there are a lot of 2.1 graduates who are in the same shoes as you.
What you can do?
1. Have a long discussion with yourself. Have an agreement with yourself that this is what you want to do. Discuss with yourself where you hope to see yourself in 5-10 years time.
2. Search for relevant professional cert in your field. You can also take up management courses. Your bsc is never enough again.
3. Do volunteer jobs. Work for free if possible. You say you have bills to pay? Cut down on those expenses. Forget about your school mates then that are doing very fine now. It may seem they are but deep down many are in trouble. You need the real time experience and not some bsc cert.
4. Be very resourceful, proactive and dependable even if you are not being paid or the money can't do much for you. Someone is always watching. Never shy away from responsibilities as the experience may come in handy in some better job you will get later.
5. Are you a Christian? Join a big Church that has lots of professionals and be a part of the workforce. Let them feel your seriousness. Somebody there will know somebody that knows somebody that can help you.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by justicejay(m): 6:55am On Aug 02, 2016
Lolx, guy let's solve the proble of pple with 1st and second class before that.
Or wait how would you feel if you have 2.1 and you applied for a job with someone who has 2.2, but the later was employed while you with 2.1 was neglected, my naija fellaz will call it CONNECTION.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Enkyl(m): 6:55am On Aug 02, 2016
Nduway:
Guy stop this nonsense jor, it's all in your mind set!
I graduated with third class and have no masters but I started in sales/ marketing in an insurance company and grew in business development! I have worked for most marquee brands here in Nigeria and currently head Business development for one of the top Digital firms in Nigeria.
I would have shared my LinkedIn in profile here with you but this is a public forum .
2.1 is good but 3rd class doesn't mean it's the end of the world !
Start small pick a niche like sales, logistics , procurement or even marketing.
Start at the bottom learn and grow your skills it will get to a point when you are really good companies will pay to have you.
I have been managing teams for the last 7 years more often than not my subordinates have msc, certifications and better academic qualifications than I had but what they don't have is over 8 years experience in business development in both multinationals and local brands which is what I have .
I may do a master's in future but for now I see no need for it.
As what I have to offer is key experience.
Target gathering experience and the sky won't be your limit

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by GdexFolami(m): 6:56am On Aug 02, 2016
delightz:
My honest opinion
In the rase of life, there is no "we" . Just say how can "I" put and end to this.........? Because those who you think are supporting you may only be checking and assessing your level of progress.

Lastly, dont give up.

you said it all bro
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Rayman5(m): 6:56am On Aug 02, 2016
Certificate Cannot determine My success.

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by drebaba1(m): 6:56am On Aug 02, 2016
Nigerians and certificate-centric mentality, it's only when we value what one can do(reality, practical) not value based credential system.. Anyways make God help us. Education is overated..be innovative and enterprennured.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by madone: 6:56am On Aug 02, 2016
guys get involved in something,start anyhow.the job u re looking for na somebody create am.u too create ur own.,

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by KillerBeauty(f): 6:57am On Aug 02, 2016
ikombe:
chai grin

This babe no go kill me cheesy
Wetin I do shocked
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by doskie(m): 6:58am On Aug 02, 2016
Nduway:
THOSE.
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by theophorus(m): 7:00am On Aug 02, 2016
... a multifaceted problem.

We have Certificate dichotomy issues...

We have connection problem...

We have policy direction and implementation problem as a Nation.

We have "Personal" problem...

We have value and purpose definition problem...

...Sincerely just defined your life goals and purpose and pursue it...

Remember follow Excellence and Success will chase you...
Selah!

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by allansie(m): 7:00am On Aug 02, 2016
Don't generalise here,av seen many 2.2 who r gainfully employed...it's not abt grades in Nig now...many say it's who u know...jus develop ursef and try 2 av d mindset of being ur own boss....

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by stenmikas(m): 7:01am On Aug 02, 2016
God's time is the best. Work on your CV,and go for courses as well...I advise u further to get masters degree.
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by lonelydora: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2016
Op, look behind beyond that laminated paper in your box. Most businesses you see on the street, their owners didn't attend any school. Ask yourself what you have been doing for the past three years.

There are many 1.1 and 2.1 graduates who have never worked for someone before. All you need to do is to look for a way and start something and engage yourself. Many tips abound on Nairaland which you can key in to.

We need to start changing this mentality of " I have been looking for work for years". Yes, I might be lucky to have a good job, but if I had known what I know now, I wouldn't have worked for one day for someone. Anyways, good luck to your job search.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by Porthos: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2016
baba, even first class nor sure...
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by jazinogold(m): 7:03am On Aug 02, 2016
it is well!
Re: The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria by OnlineMercenary: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2016

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Opens Application Portal For Direct Short Service Course 26 / Job Seekers, Take A cue From Lionel Messi / US Embassy, Nigeria Is Recruiting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.