Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 (2788 Views)

Get Direct UK Used Apple Macbook With Windows Installed / Uk Arrival!!!hp Envy M6 Core I5 8gb Ram 750gb Hard Drive With Keyboard Light~75k / Learn How To Format Ur Laptop, Desktop, Usinq FLASH DRIVE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 02, 2016
Your PC might develop issues that demands you format your laptop, some of the issues include dragging mouse pad, virus in hard drive or you may want to move to another windows operating system entirely.

In this post, I'm going to show you with picture details of how to format your hard drive in case the need arises.
You can format your hard drive with a CD, if your PC comes with a CD rom or with a bootable windows flash.
whichever one you will be using, they both follow the same procedures, though formating with a bootable windows flash is more faster than formatting with windows CD.

PC SETUP AND BOOT MENU
In other for you to format your hard drive, you must know how to enter the boot menu and system setup.
Different PC manufacturers have their own set up and boot menu keys
For HP
Setup === f10
Boot menu ===f9

Other PC (Toshiba, Accer,Dell etc)
Note that Accer, packardbell, gateway ,emachine are same company
Setup === f2
Boot menu=== f12
Some require you hold down the Fn key
Fn+f2
Fn+12
System are Samsung, Sony etc

CONFIGURING YOUR PC TO SEE BOOTABLE FLASH

Your PC might not see the bootable flash, in other to make it appear in boot menu, restart the system and boot into set up,make sure your system doesn't have a motherboard password else you won't be able to access setup..
Navigate to system configuration and enable legacy,click f10 to save then move to boot menu, locate USB hdd and use f5/f6 to move up or down.
(You might have a problem saving the above setup if your CMOS battery is bad)
Move the USB hdd to the top and save,also make sure your PC is connected to power source to avoid power interuption.

HOW TO FORMAT HARD WITH WINDOWS OS

If you're going to format with windows CD, switch on your PC

Continue reading
http:///hzahdjl

Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by chachanga: 11:04pm On Aug 02, 2016
Nice post, OP, even though the conditions leading to the flashing / formatting of a hard drive are rarely pleasant for most folks.

And for those taking their PCs to some computer quacks. Flashing, followed by "Crashing" is the next word those boys make sure they learn the hard way and never forget.

By the time those boys format ur system without backup, ehn? shocked You will run 440! grin
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 03, 2016
chachanga:
Nice post, OP, even though the conditions leading to the flashing / formatting of a hard drive are rarely pleasant for most folks.

And for those taking their PCs to some computer quacks. Flashing, followed by "Crashing" is the next word those boys make sure they learn the hard way and never forget.

By the time those boys format ur system without backup, ehn? shocked You will run 440! grin

It's up to the client, take for instance. ..
If you want to format, you must go with your external hdd or buy a flash drive which you will move your files into ..
In case you don't want to lose your file, then I'll advice the person do a reload instead of formatting, that's if he didn't come with anything but want format, this will move all his files to windows.old

I think I'll write a post about this soon.

Before formatting, one must ask the client twice,to make sure he/she knows what they are saying.

Cos some clients will tell you the information in their hard drive worth more than the PC,before you know it, police don enter case grin

1 Like

Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by chachanga: 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2016
udemzy101:

It's up to the client, take for instance. ..
If you want to format, you must go with your external hdd or buy a flash drive which you will move your files into ..
In case you don't want to lose your file, then I'll advice the person do a reload instead of formatting, that's if he didn't come with anything but want format, this will move all his files to windows.old

I think I'll write a post about this soon.

Before formatting, one must ask the client twice,to make sure he/she knows what they are saying.

Cos some clients will tell you the information in their hard drive worth more than the PC,before you know it, police don enter case grin

Police, kwa?
Ahh, I remember I.T year, boy wan showcase skills grin, make dough wink. Na so I mistakenly format one university Student Affairs Office main unit like that. Branded HP Desktop CPU containing the List of Graduating Students to be Forwarded for NYSC. I made partition with Norton Ghost. Saved Docs on there. Then, made the mistake of using the onboard recovery image to do factory reset. tongue
Na so the thing wipe and merge the partition I created, ahh, come see sweating like Xmas goat. As dey begin police talk, shocked I was swallowing so fast and frequently my Adams Apple was starting to ache. See, when the adjourned the issue till when "Prof comes" like this. Come see speed wey I take disappear leave my fees for them. With no forwarding address earlier supplied, na so I zap-comot go off my phone tongue.
I was seriously immature then but the fear of Police has taught many a wise-man well on the paths of greatness in Nigeria. embarassed
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 03, 2016
chachanga:

Police, kwa?
Ahh, I remember I.T year, boy wan showcase skills grin, make dough wink. Na so I mistakenly format one university Student Affairs Office main unit like that. Branded HP Desktop CPU containing the List of Graduating Students to be Forwarded for NYSC. I made partition with Norton Ghost. Saved Docs on there. Then, made the mistake of using the onboard recovery image to do factory reset. tongue
Na so the thing wipe and merge the partition I created, ahh, come see sweating like Xmas goat. As dey begin police talk, shocked I was swallowing so fast and frequently my Adams Apple was starting to ache. See, when the adjourned the issue till when "Prof comes" like this. Come see speed wey I take disappear leave my fees for them. With no forwarding address earlier supplied, na so I zap-comot go off my phone tongue.
I was seriously immature then but the fear of Police has taught many a wise-man well on the paths of greatness in Nigeria. embarassed

Lol... Same thing almost happened to a colleague, thank God he reload the OS instead of formatting..

He said the owner of the machine is a writer and all her recent work where in the hdd, on hearing that he started sweating.. Lol

Thank God he didn't format, he went to windows.old to bring out all her documents and program files for the apps with mega suit..

That was how he survive that incident,some client will tell you that their hdd is more important than their machine, I remember one client arrested my boss cos his hdd was missing, one of his boys took it when he was not around and he paid over #50k to get out of the mess.

1 Like

Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by chachanga: 2:35am On Aug 04, 2016
udemzy101:

Lol... Same thing almost happened to a colleague, thank God he reload the OS instead of formatting..

He said the owner of the machine is a writer and all her recent work where in the hdd, on hearing that he started sweating.. Lol

Thank God he didn't format, he went to windows.old to bring out all her documents and program files for the apps with mega suit..

That was how he survive that incident,some client will tell you that their hdd is more important than their machine, I remember one client arrested my boss cos his hdd was missing, one of his boys took it when he was not around and he paid over #50k to get out of the mess.

#50k, ahh!
I didn't even have #15k to spare that time
If they'd caught up with me...d story for get k-leg by now
I didn't do it intentionally then sha
Burr, it's true now for me too
D sturvs on my workstations precious pass the systems ser

1 Like

Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by AKBliv010(m): 8:59am On Aug 31, 2016
Actually, Windows 8 and 10 doesn't require one to go through this the hard way, buying cd, using USB to format.

When win8/10 is installed for the first time it creates a recovery partition. This allows the user to reset the PC to its original setting without the need to create a bootable USB. It even allows one to choose whether to keep their original files or completely remove it.

Unless the HDD has failed, there's not need to going through this with a USB or recovery CD. WIndows 7 is a different matter.

I always recommend doing a backup of your personal files before attempting the process of formatting.
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:
Actually, Windows 8 and 10 doesn't require one to go through this the hard way, buying cd, using USB to format.

When win8/10 is installed for the first time it creates a recovery partition. This allows the user to reset the PC to its original setting without the need to create a bootable USB. It even allows one to choose whether to keep their original files or completely remove it.

Unless the HDD has failed, there's not need to going through this with a USB or recovery CD. WIndows 7 is a different matter.

I always recommend doing a backup of your personal files before attempting the process of formatting.

What I'd the user hdd doesn't have recovery, what if he got a new hdd with no recovery and want to format?

Recovery is different from formatting, pls stick to the topic.
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by AKBliv010(m): 10:12am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:

What I'd the user hdd doesn't have recovery, what if he got a new hdd with no recovery and want to format?

Recovery is different from formatting, pls stick to the topic.

Win8/10 do it automatically, you can't prevent the OS from doing it. My point it there's no need to format. Just reset the system from within the OS. It give you an option to completely clean the drive or keep your files.

If your systems fails to boot 3 times , Windows will automatically enter that mode too. Try it turn your PC on but reset it 3 times.
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:

Win8/10 do it automatically, you can't prevent the OS from doing it. My point it there's no need to format. Just reset the system from within the OS. It give you an option to completely clean the drive or keep your files.

If your systems fails to boot 3 times , Windows will automatically enter that mode too. Try it turn your PC on but reset it 3 times.

What makes you think there is no need to format?
What if a client insist you format?

Funny, which mode will windows automatically enter when it fails to boot after 3 attempt?
What does windows8/10 do automatically?

How often do u do a system recovery or format a hdd?
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by AliciaALI: 8:15am On Dec 22, 2016
Nicely done and useful tips! Any chance you've ever tried with some partition freeware which is more convenient to run the operations? I guess you use Windows disk tool all the time, and you may lose substantial time on tedious operations.

I recommend you to read how to format partition for reference, it's not that hard to do it. I formerly wanted to use your way to format but failed, then I searched and learned this way, and it saves much time and works.
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by DrinkWater10: 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2018
udemzy101:
Your PC might develop issues that demands you format your laptop, some of the issues include dragging mouse pad, virus in hard drive or you may want to move to another windows operating system entirely.

In this post, I'm going to show you with picture details of how to format your hard drive in case the need arises.
You can format your hard drive with a CD, if your PC comes with a CD rom or with a bootable windows flash.
whichever one you will be using, they both follow the same procedures, though formating with a bootable windows flash is more faster than formatting with windows CD.

PC SETUP AND BOOT MENU
In other for you to format your hard drive, you must know how to enter the boot menu and system setup.
Different PC manufacturers have their own set up and boot menu keys
For HP
Setup === f10
Boot menu ===f9

Other PC (Toshiba, Accer,Dell etc)
Note that Accer, packardbell, gateway ,emachine are same company
Setup === f2
Boot menu=== f12
Some require you hold down the Fn key
Fn+f2
Fn+12
System are Samsung, Sony etc

CONFIGURING YOUR PC TO SEE BOOTABLE FLASH

Your PC might not see the bootable flash, in other to make it appear in boot menu, restart the system and boot into set up,make sure your system doesn't have a motherboard password else you won't be able to access setup..
Navigate to system configuration and enable legacy,click f10 to save then move to boot menu, locate USB hdd and use f5/f6 to move up or down.
(You might have a problem saving the above setup if your CMOS battery is bad)
Move the USB hdd to the top and save,also make sure your PC is connected to power source to avoid power interuption.

HOW TO FORMAT HARD WITH WINDOWS OS

If you're going to format with windows CD, switch on your PC

Continue reading
http:///hzahdjl

hello my laptop had to repaired so it's os was flashed and upgraded.
But now when you Power it on it never gets to the homescreen. after switching on it shows blue for hours, I think the harddrive wasn't properly flashed and has now developed issues, what do you suggest I do?
Re: How To Format Hard Drive With Windows 7,8,8.1,10 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 23, 2018
DrinkWater10:

hello my laptop had to repaired so it's os was flashed and upgraded.
But now when you Power it on it never gets to the homescreen. after switching on it shows blue for hours, I think the harddrive wasn't properly flashed and has now developed issues, what do you suggest I do?

Two things might be the cause.

1. Windows is corrupt

2. Bad RAM

If you have two ram installed, open the ram compartment and remove 1,power it on and see, if same issue occurs, test the second too.

If problem is not resolved, reload the operating system.

(1) (Reply)

OPEN BOX 8th gen HP SPECTRE AVAILABLE FOR SALE - SOLD / Lenovo Thinkpad X120e (intel Dual Core, 4gb RAM, 500gb HDD, 12" Display) / Spectranet Now Browses @ Zero Naira 247 Unlimited - No Voucher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.