Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) (14532 Views)

Prince Otemu Escapes Gun Attack From Armed Men In Ughelli (Photos) / Ben Murray-Bruce Visits Cecilia Ibru & Sisters For Condolence (photos) / Erhiatake Ibori Booed At Ibru's Burial For Fumbling Over Common Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by annnikky(f): 1:00am On Aug 04, 2016
Former governor of Delta state, Felix Ibru who died on March 12,was buried today, August 3

Ibru’s corpse reportedly arrived the country this afternoon and was immediately buried at his hometown in Agbarho-Otor.

The body of the late businessman was accorded a guard of honour by policemen with 10-gun salute, Punch reports.

Earlier a funeral service was held for him at the All Saints’ Cathedral Church in Ughelli.

Ibru, the first civilian governor of Delta state, died at the age of 80.

Punch reports that the funeral service was attended by Delta state governor, Sen Ifeanyi Okowa; former governor of Delta state, Emmanuel Uduaghan; and Chief Edwin Clark, among others.

The Delta state government on Tuesday, August 2, organised a valedictory session in honour of late Senator Olorogun Felix Ibru.

Prominent Deltans across ethnic divide paid glowing tributes to the first governor of Delta state as he was laid in state at the Unity Hall, Government House, Asaba.

The remains of Olorogun Ibru which was flown into Asaba at 10 am, were brought into Government House via Asaba/Benin expressway, Ezenei Avenue and Nnebisi Road in a black Mercedes hearse.

The corpse which arrived Government House at 11:25am was welcomed with a guard honour mounted by men of the Nigeria Police Force, clad in red and black uniforms, was taken into the Unity Hall in a brown casket draped in national colours.

On hand to receive the remains of the late Olorogun Ibru were the state governor, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, former Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan, Senators James Manager, Peter Nwaoboshi, Speaker of the Delta state House of Assembly, Chief Monday Igbuya, former minister of Niger Delta affairs, Dr Steve Oru and a host of others.

Governor Okowa, in his tribute, said the State Secretariat would be named after Olorogun Felix Ibru, adding that in consultation with Delta state university, Abraka authorities, the university’s senate building would also be named after Ibru as a way of immortalising him.

Noting that they were not mourning but celebrating the late Ibru whom he described as a father of all, Okowa said Ibru “would be remembered as a patriot, a man of courage and an extra-ordinary leader who always stood on the side of the people”.

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa said flags will be flown at half mast in all public buildings and institutions in honour of the late governor.

According to Okowa, Ibru was true to his professional calling as a pioneer architect of modern Delta.

In the same vein, Ex-Gov Emmanuel Uduaghan, former deputy governors and other dignitaries described Ibru as a father, visionary leader, peace and bridge builder.

Meanwhile, Senate President Bukola Saraki, represented by Sen Peter Nwaoboshi (Delta North), described Ibru as a quintessential legislator and bridge builder.

The Chairman, Burial Committee, Ovie Agas, Secretary to the State Government (SSG), said Ibru built the democratic culture in the state.

“He developed the Asaba Development Master Plan, upgraded the Delta State University, Abraka from a Faculty of Education in the defunct Bendel state university. He also established the School of Midwifery, Ughelli among other achievements,”he said.

Rt Rev Justus Mogekwu, Bishop, Asaba Diocese of Anglican Communion, charged the people to reflect on their lives and give selfless service to humanity.

He urged politicians to practice politics without bitterness, adding that they will leave all they had acquired behind at death.

“Ibru has left his foot mark on the sand of time and I pray that God will count him worthy and grant his soul eternal rest. In Christianity, we talk about a fulfilled life, we should reflect on the opportunities we have to love, do good and deliver service to humanity,” he said.

https://www.naij.com/914834-just-see-happened-ex-governors-burial-photos.html

1 Like

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Nobody: 1:32am On Aug 04, 2016
Rip
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by annnikky(f): 7:02am On Aug 04, 2016
Rest in peace

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by dM10(m): 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
RIP man
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Harmored(m): 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
Ok
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by GloShare(m): 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
Rip sir
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by lonelydora: 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
Go well Pa Felix
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by veekid(m): 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
Rip
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Toluwani113: 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
Rip
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by justicejay(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2016
RIP.
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by kaen1317: 7:50am On Aug 04, 2016
How much of his stupendous wealth did he go with? A lesson for the living. Rest in peace

3 Likes

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by efilefun(m): 7:50am On Aug 04, 2016
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by obaival(m): 8:06am On Aug 04, 2016
R.I.P.P
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by OKorowanta: 8:12am On Aug 04, 2016
Just like dat
Na wa o.
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by glossy6(f): 8:18am On Aug 04, 2016
oniovu me gwuru fiki ekwo evu aso rocku! Doo oniovu! RIP Olorogun, osi uvie eya na.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by naniawini(f): 8:25am On Aug 04, 2016
Pls re write ur siggy grin grin
veekid:
Rip
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Mishydoo(m): 8:33am On Aug 04, 2016
efilefun:
lipsrsealed

Trash talk...What is this supposed to mean or is that how you respect elders you Yoruba bigot!

1 Like

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by efilefun(m): 8:40am On Aug 04, 2016
WTF, was ur moniker mentioned or how does this affect any of ur family member kindly swerve outta my mention if you dont understand the message i was trying to pass oponu oshi
Mishydoo:

Trash talk...What is this supposed to mean or is that how you respect elders you Yoruba bigot!
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Mishydoo(m): 8:57am On Aug 04, 2016
efilefun:
WTF, was ur moniker mentioned or how does this affect any of ur family member kindly swerve outta my mention if you dont understand the message i was trying to pass oponu oshi

You have no sensible message whatsoever! That's my hometown and that's a well respected man of my tribe. If you have nothing constructive to say STFU!

3 Likes

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Houseofglam7(f): 9:18am On Aug 04, 2016
In the end, na still 6feet we go all go.
R.I.P papa
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by mikigen(m): 10:01am On Aug 04, 2016
Rest in peace oniovo.....# onomuakpopko#
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by general1970: 10:20am On Aug 04, 2016
Always remembering before he (Felix Ibru) became Governor, then I was still a young lad in Secondary Sch (Govt College), election was full of joy, happiness and no stealing of ballot boxes or killing ppl, medium of campaigning is by throwing handbills from helicopter and we thought it was money, we ran miles over miles chasing papers thought to be cash but funny enough they were all handbills... hahaha, it was really fun. Rest in Peace Gran Pa, we love and miss you so dearly.

That's my choir master (Quincy Tebite) circled red in early 90's @ St, John's Ovwodaware, he thought me music classical even with Urhobo. #OldMemorys#TBT

1 Like

Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by Tkayhandsome(m): 11:08am On Aug 04, 2016
No one gets out alive. No matter how much
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by goldtooth: 11:32am On Aug 04, 2016
I love the Ibru Family and I admire them. Rest in peace sir
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:40am On Aug 04, 2016
RIP to HIm
Everyone will someday join you
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by sotadegrt(m): 2:02pm On Aug 04, 2016
Did erhiatake ibori not pay any tribute? Just asking
Re: Felix Ibru Buried In Ughelli (photos) by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 2:31pm On Aug 04, 2016
glossy6:
oniovu me gwuru fiki ekwo evu aso rocku! Doo oniovu! RIP Olorogun, osi uvie eya na.
Wor da wer'e oniovo.

(1) (Reply)

James Ibori Did Not Make Me Speaker- Dogara / Wike Criticizes APC Membership Registration, Revalidation Exercise / Miyetti Allah To FG: Stop Southern Governors From Enacting Anti-Grazing Laws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.