Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,422 members, 7,812,240 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 (26833 Views)

At What Rate Does CBN Sell Dollars To BDCs? / Senate Wants CBN To Convert Lower Naira Notes Into Coins / Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by tsdarkside(m): 8:50am On Aug 05, 2016
before you people forget..

britain never realy ruled the area called nigeria today...they only concentrated on big towns...

thats why we have so many realy extremly autonimous regions that dont give a shi shi about luggard...

you can say in way that nigeria-area was never realy colonized

how many of us still realy speak correct british english sef!!!..

we were never realy dominated...

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by erusen: 8:50am On Aug 05, 2016
yemaldo:

Seriously?
bros na question oh,am not inform where do they go,when do they go,I was a Christian for many years in this country I did not hear of pilgrim

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Nusaf: 8:51am On Aug 05, 2016
blackberlin:
Another opportunity to siphon dollars at half its price.
So the problem Nigeria is facing now is Hajj abi?

Anybody who wants to go for hajj should go and get dollars at the black market. If the govt won't give FX to those importing and creating jobs and those studying abroad, why should.they give it to Hajj pilgrims? This is just a tactic to siphon dollars by APC political cohorts. . .

Thieves in disguise. . . keep deceiving urselves.
But where were u when same was done during christian pilgrimage?
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Petdagr8t(m): 8:52am On Aug 05, 2016
magicminister:
The Central Bank of Nigeria has issued a circular instructing commercial banks to sell dollars to Pilgrims going to the Hajj at an exchange rate of N197.

The Central Bank explains that the sale of the forex will be funneled through commercial banks who are then mandated to sell to pilgrims at N197. Pilgrims are expected to purchase a minimum of $750 and a maximum of $1000 per pilgrim.
he circular also reveals there are a total of 65,197 Pilgrims, thus the CBN will sell as much as $65,197,000 assuming every Pilgrim buys as much as $1000 each.

Nigeria’s official exchange rate closed at about N315 which suggest that this sale could cost Nigerian tax payers about N7, 693, 246,000 in exchange rate loss (based on 315 -197=118).

This is not the first time the Central Bank is selling dollars to Pilgrims at a subsidized rate. Last August it also sold dollars at N160 at a time when the official exchange rate was about N197. Only that this time, the disparity is wider.

The implication for Nigerian tax payers is that the government is now incurring this sort of expense at a time when the economy is likely in a recession and millions are finding it hard to feed themselves. It is also at a time where the Nigerian government is running cap in hand begging foreign investors to invest in Nigeria so that we can boost our external reserves.

It also calls to question suspicions that government officials may be getting travel allowances at a different exchange rate from what is obtainable at the official interbank market.

The Central Bank of Nigeria floated the Naira on the 20th of June 2016 following a year-long policy of holding the exchange rate at a fixed rate of about N197/$1. Since floating the naira, the exchange rate has depreciated by as much 60% at the interbank and over 100% at the parallel market. The dollar closed at about N400 at the parallel market on Thursday.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/2016-hajj-sell-dollars-to-pilgrims-n197-cbn-authorises-banks/
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Nusaf: 8:53am On Aug 05, 2016
guywitzerogal:
So ds s the tins now only favoring the Muslims by reducing the dollar so d can travel? And wat bout us that 're nt goin for hajj?
Same was done for your christian brothers.
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by seguno2: 8:53am On Aug 05, 2016
This is one of the reasons why our country is so fcvked up.
Why not let them buy from the open market like other Nigerians?
What is the economic value added of their hajj to our country?

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Nusaf: 8:57am On Aug 05, 2016
evansjeff:
I've been trying really hard to see reasons with this government, When are Christians going for the next pilgrimage, I will wait until then before I make my comments.
They went last year and the same thing was done 4 them. U are not aware because the Muslims are not good at making unnecessary noise otherwise u would have heard about it, maybe from this forum.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by tsdarkside(m): 8:58am On Aug 05, 2016
seguno2:
This is one of the reasons why our country is so fcvked up.
Why not let them buy from the open market like other Nigerians?
What is the economic value added of their hajj to our country?

it seems their hajj bring more than your drug bussiness...

stop this rubbish...religion is the most lucrative business in the world...always beat others...if you can treat religious people well they stick with you till they die...
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by millhouse: 9:00am On Aug 05, 2016
bashorunbazok:
Many people are blinded with hatred. Did he not order thesame for Christians going on pilgrimage recently?

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved N160 to $1 exchange rate for the Nigeria Christian Pilgrims Commission’s (NCPC) operations.

The commission’s Executive Secretary, John Keneddy-Opara, told State House correspondents after briefing Buhari on the commission’s activities at the State House, Abuja.

He said: “As you are aware, he has approved $1 to N160 for the conventional exchange rate for this pilgrimage operation and he also agreed that he will continue to encourage us, particularly as we drive to ensure self-sustenance, to make sure that the pilgrims are able to pay for the pilgrimages by removing government sponsorship.

“This is a journey and we are sure that we are going to succeed. So, he was very happy with the entire process. We are praying that God will help us to be a source of strength to Mr.

President, so that the Federal Government and states will spend the necessary resources on other things while the pilgrimage is self-funding as time goes on.

“We are already running four pilgrimages in one year. The first is the Easter pilgrimage, which has passed, the Youth Pilgrimage which we termed operation catch them young, the family pilgrimage and the overall pilgrimage. For those going to Israel for the 11 days trip, it is N379,840 and for the youth pilgrimage, it is going to cost N357,000.”

Nigerians on pilgrimage, he noted, can now undergo skill acquisition programme organised by the Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission and Israel’s Ministry of Agriculture, towards training them in the area of agriculture.

He added: “We are introducing the pilgrimage pilot lottery scheme that will enable people who are lucky to be able to go on this trip without much dependence on the state and the Federal Government.”

He said he was in the State House to brief the President on the activities of the commission.

“I came to brief the President on the activities of the Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission. Earlier, my colleague, the Chairman of Hajj Commission had come to brief him.

“I had to tell him where we are and how we started the commission and where we are today and our prayers. I want to say that the President was very happy with the commission and he said the commission has done very well.”
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-okays-n160-to-1-for-christian-pilgrims/
do we still have people like this in this country at this time? Do we really do? I weep! Please how much was dollar at the time it was subsidized for xtian pilgrimage.. 197naira to the dollar and this was last year when all could get access to it. And u want to justify why it should be replicated when u know where the economy is at this time?? When businesses have been closing up left right and center.... Shame on you

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by rareman(m): 9:05am On Aug 05, 2016
Vanillaskin:
Please with all the so called MOG in this country that claim to be able to see this and that, how come non of them where able to see into the future to warn us before now about this Buhari body odor we are suffering now cry cry cry

This is just too unfortunate, cry cry cry this government is so insensitive to the common man cry cry cry

Why no one saw saw this coming cry cry cry.
I just don't know if I cry cry cry can take it anymore cry cry cry

My brother don't blame MOGs they actually warned you, (remember "the gates of hades"wink but chose to believe Mbaka, who is now a wailer

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 05, 2016
erusen:
bros na question oh,am not inform where do they go,when do they go,I was a Christian for many years in this country I did not hear of pilgrim
Jerusalem, u can even google it, nigerians do go to Jerusalem for pilgrims
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by mekaboy(m): 9:09am On Aug 05, 2016
yemaldo:
Buhari okays N160 to $1 for Christian pilgrims

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-okays-n160-to-1-for-christian-pilgrims/
So guys let's stop pretending

197-160 =N 37

315-197 =N118

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by proeast(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2016
obailala:
Whoever formulated or approved this policy must be a bastaaard! Africa is indeed a cursed continent.
Bro, call a spade by its name & dont shift blame. What has Africa got to do with this? Is Kenya, Ghana, S.A etc involved in this show of shame? Leave Africa and blame who is responsible i.e your country & its maximum ruler. People going on religious excursion are giving "free money" while Chronically ill people, students, importers of raw materials & essential goods etc are denied such incentive and you tell me such a country will ever develop? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by djlaqua91(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2016
This is so annoying, pathetic and sadly common in Nigeria. As a muslim I know Hajj isn't compulsory if you can't afford it. The Govt. Should be consistent, if you subsidize Hajj, you should also include; school fees, importing goods etc. People are withdrawing out of school, businesses collapsing and this is the solution? This isn't fair wallahi.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by forray(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2016
tsdarkside:

nooo..at work....i am a leader of a construction group...am happy...the more i work the more respect i get.,,,everybody want to make selfie with me....nice people...

i am a urhobo brother.. cry cry cry

How old are u? Pls tell ur mummy to get u a queen primere before coming on Nairaland. U cant even construct a simple sentence. Money wasted on unnecessary religious trip cld hv been used to give u a better education. If it's too late for u, u can still fight for a better future for ur younger ones or ur unborn children, that is if u are intelligent enuf to reason in that direction.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by chiraqDemon(m): 9:12am On Aug 05, 2016
Is same done for christian pilgrims n even if it is....it should not be done for anybody...the economy is depreciating n u are selling at a subsidized rate.....according to what i just read the load is on the taxpayers.....smh our government has wrong priorities ..and i was tryin to study abroad but couldnt because of exchange rate...they should sell at subsidised rated to students too

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Maski87: 9:19am On Aug 05, 2016
You might as well give it to them for free or 1 to 1
What a waste of resources

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by chiraqDemon(m): 9:22am On Aug 05, 2016
Whats even more annoying is that the government is run from a religious standpoint advanced countries seperate religion from governance....but well who am i to complain...religion is a virus that has eaten do deep into every nigerian aspect of life that a man would rather drop out of school n be a pastor because it was "revealed" to him than get his degree...the day nigeria seperates religion from government n common sense is used will be the beginning of advancement

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by agabaI23(m): 9:23am On Aug 05, 2016
If we had the national assembly, they would have said no to this.

Was this money provided for in the budget?

Is this country still circular?

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by seguntijan(m): 9:23am On Aug 05, 2016
PMB to subsidize pilgrimage by =N=197 to a Dollar.
Someone should tell PMB religion is a personal thing and the quran did not say its a must to go on pilgrimage, it said you should go if you can afford it .
This is crass irresponsibility on the part of Buhari (playing to the gallery).
This is the same PMB that cant subsidize paying of school fees abroad or production and distribution of rice etc
PMB We are watching ................

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by seguntijan(m): 9:23am On Aug 05, 2016
Someone should tell PMB religion is a personal thing and the quran did not say its a must to go on pilgrimage, it said you should go if you can afford it .
This is crass irresponsibility on the part of Buhari (playing to the gallery).
This is the same PMB that cant subsidize paying of school fees abroad or production and distribution of rice etc
PMB We are watching ................

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by sleek16: 9:25am On Aug 05, 2016
Customs charges N315 for Dollar and now we have subsidy for Pilgrimage?This na Curse.I swear..

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 05, 2016
ojun50:

don't hate being a Nigeria jst pray Nigeria get better in a short time

isn't that the problem with us in this country...everything prayer? use our brains we won't, when there is a problem we resort to prayer, night vigil and pilgrimage, isn't it because of this mentality that we prioritise religious pilgrimage at the expense of productive sectors of the economy in the allocation of forex?

How can you criticise the govt for giving priority to pilgrimage when your own response to this problem is prayer?

can you not see that you are are no different and we are our own problem?

govts are a reflection of the people, the biggest problem with Nigeria are Nigerians! whoever is in govt will do the same thing because we are Nigerians!!! our collective mental pysche is not geared for progress.
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 05, 2016
rhymaholic:
Is Buhari not an idiot like this? Why should the CBN give such an instruction on his directive obviously. Does he give the christians such privilege when they want to go for pilgrimage? Why can't the pilgrims go source for dollar at the rate everyone sources theirs. Businesses would go and source for dollar at 400 per dollar, then an individual or group of people that wants to go gallivant to fulfill some silly religious obligation would be giving privilege to source at a lower rate, this just shows how myopic our leaders are. I'm pro-buhari but this latest move just gives more power to the sentiment that he's trying to Islamise the country.

How can you as learned as you claim to be believe someone would Islamize or Christianize a Nation?

Anyways, he did same thing for Christians

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-okays-n160-to-1-for-christian-pilgrims/
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Kassidy90(m): 9:28am On Aug 05, 2016
I am a Muslim but I think this gesture should also be shown to the importers..

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by sweetgala(m): 9:29am On Aug 05, 2016
Pavarottii:
First Class Citizens. Shebi wen FFK was asking whether Christians are second class citizens; I saw comments of people raining insults on him that he is a thief, he is trying to cause division etc... now I hope we can see with our clear eyes; that FFK was right, this is just an example.

Even Christian business men will never get this opportunity. But Muslims will get it for a vacation.

Christians open ur eyes; cos wen it will come to ur doorstep, don't say FFK didn't warn u.

I can remember that the pigrims to Jerusalem last year had a fixed rate also.
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by atirolu(m): 9:29am On Aug 05, 2016
I wish their is no religion in the world
be it muslim or Christian

religion is setting us back in nigeria

In an economy that is crashing everyday
Govt still set money aside for pilgrim
To mecca or Jerusalem

Nigeria is a joke nation

3 Likes

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by leofab(f): 9:37am On Aug 05, 2016
bashorunbazok:
Many people are blinded with hatred. Did he not order thesame for Christians going on pilgrimage recently?

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved N160 to $1 exchange rate for the Nigeria Christian Pilgrims Commission’s (NCPC) operations.

The commission’s Executive Secretary, John Keneddy-Opara, told State House correspondents after briefing Buhari on the commission’s activities at the State House, Abuja.

He said: “As you are aware, he has approved $1 to N160 for the conventional exchange rate for this pilgrimage operation and he also agreed that he will continue to encourage us, particularly as we drive to ensure self-sustenance, to make sure that the pilgrims are able to pay for the pilgrimages by removing government sponsorship.

“This is a journey and we are sure that we are going to succeed. So, he was very happy with the entire process. We are praying that God will help us to be a source of strength to Mr.

President, so that the Federal Government and states will spend the necessary resources on other things while the pilgrimage is self-funding as time goes on.

“We are already running four pilgrimages in one year. The first is the Easter pilgrimage, which has passed, the Youth Pilgrimage which we termed operation catch them young, the family pilgrimage and the overall pilgrimage. For those going to Israel for the 11 days trip, it is N379,840 and for the youth pilgrimage, it is going to cost N357,000.”

Nigerians on pilgrimage, he noted, can now undergo skill acquisition programme organised by the Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission and Israel’s Ministry of Agriculture, towards training them in the area of agriculture.

He added: “We are introducing the pilgrimage pilot lottery scheme that will enable people who are lucky to be able to go on this trip without much dependence on the state and the Federal Government.”

He said he was in the State House to brief the President on the activities of the commission.

“I came to brief the President on the activities of the Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission. Earlier, my colleague, the Chairman of Hajj Commission had come to brief him.

“I had to tell him where we are and how we started the commission and where we are today and our prayers. I want to say that the President was very happy with the commission and he said the commission has done very well.”
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-okays-n160-to-1-for-christian-pilgrims/
did they give to traditional African worshippers too? Useless govt..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by ojun50(m): 9:37am On Aug 05, 2016
PUSH1:

We are discouraging imports.
Get that into your thick skull
since u hv being discouraging import, wht hv u being been able to produce?

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by ghostmist: 9:38am On Aug 05, 2016
magicminister:

Jesus is lord.
My power no reach this one.
My brother, carry your wahala and be going.
Guy, u don burst my belle wit laff..

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by loomer: 9:39am On Aug 05, 2016
ojun50:

don't hate being a Nigeria jst pray Nigeria get better in a short time

Make una sit down dey pray. Una go tell mW whether na prayer make america, UK and the other developed countries dey developed.
Re: CBN To Sell Dollars To Pilgrims For 197 by Ambassadors: 9:41am On Aug 05, 2016
Federal Government Scam in the making... about to make some pipu millionaires & billionaires. Part of the current restructuring of nigeria is to scrap Federal Government sponsoring of Hajj / Holy Land pilgrimage,it is a slap on nigerians & is not sustainable. Pls Government stop it! We cant even pay salaries and you are doling money for pleasure trip. Pls what is the make up of our economic team. Nigerians are one of the most intelligent people on earth. Pls lets join our hands and make nigeria better than dubai cos we have what it takes. Even if it mean scrapping National Assembly & House Of Rep which they dont have in dubai but today is a master piece.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jumia Food To Shutdown In Nigeria From December 2023 / Tingo Group (Dozy Mmobuosi) Is A Fraudulent Enterprise / Which Of The Nigerian Banks Is More Reliable?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.