Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,536 members, 7,827,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach (4495 Views)

Iheanacho Is A Manchester City Star In Waiting - Goal.com. Scores Hat-trick. / Alex Ferguson’s Last Chewed Gum For Sale On E-bay / Jose Mourinho Cannot Be The Best Coach In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by soccerprof: 12:29pm On Sep 22, 2009
1 English Premier League trophies, five FA Cup wins, three Scottish Premier Division medals, and two Champions League final wins.

It doesn't get much more impressive than that. The haul was certainly enough to convince the majority of Goal.com voters to select Sir Alex Ferguson (he's been knighted too, of course) as the best coach in the world.

The Manchester United tactician has won everything put before him at the club level, and has kept a stranglehold on the EPL, winning more than half since the inception of the Premier League and the last three on the trot.

1999 will probably be remembered as the Scot's greatest year, when Manchester United won the EPL, the FA Cup, and the Champions League in an all-conquering treble.

The man who has won the one trophy Ferguson hasn't came in at fourth, sandwiched between England national team coach Fabio Capello and Barcelona's Pep Guardiola. Marcello Lippi is the only one of the bunch to have won the World Cup, but that honor couldn't earn him more than his 8% of the vote.

Sliding in at second was Inter coach Jose Mourinho. Besides being good for a quote with his fiery antics and antagonistic mind games, the “Special One” has won a multitude of trophies in his short career. With Porto in his native Portugal he won the domestic title and the Champions League. At Chelsea he conquered England. Now with Inter, he's already won a Scudetto in his first season in charge.

Goal.com Poll
Who is the best coach in the world?
Jose Mourinho 26.95%
Pep Guardiola 13.77%
Sir Alex Ferguson 46.11%
Marcello Lippi 8.38%
Fabio Capello 4.79%

Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by jalether(m): 12:37pm On Sep 22, 2009
Whatever happened to coaches like Fabio Capello, Guus Hidddink et al undecided
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 1:57pm On Sep 22, 2009
Where is Arsene Wenger in this list?

Surely, Wenger is better than Pep Guardiola.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by adebayo201: 3:30pm On Sep 22, 2009
yes oooooooooo ;d ;d ;d
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by presido1: 3:37pm On Sep 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Where is Arsene Wenger in this list?
Surely, Wenger is better than Pep Guardiola.
Until he win CL. U can't be ranked ahead of people that has won local and continental trophy. He should try moore.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 3:39pm On Sep 22, 2009
presido1:

Until he win CL. U can't be ranked ahead of people that has won local and continental trophy. He should try moore.

So you mean Guardiola who has just managed a club for 12 months is better than Wenger who's been doing it for decades?
That logic does not work with me. . . . . . .Besides, Guardiola inherited one of the best players in Europe.
He did not buy Messi, Etoo and Henry, did he?
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
Ok whats Wengers credentials to be considered, No European trophy in over 25 years of management
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 4:00pm On Sep 22, 2009
dayokanu:

Ok whats Wengers credentials to be considered, No European trophy in over 25 years of management

Wenger has won league titles, groomed players from cradle amongst other stuffs.
It's moronic to put Guardiola ahead of Wenger.
Pep is a nobody in European football. . . . . .Harry Redknapp has more pedigree than Pep.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by khanye(m): 4:23pm On Sep 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Pep is a nobody in European football. . . . . .Harry Redknapp has more pedigree than Pep.

Ur mouth no go kill you
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 4:26pm On Sep 22, 2009
khanye:

your mouth no go kill you

How many European games has Pep played?
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 4:35pm On Sep 22, 2009

I can mention 20 managers who have won league titles in Europe. I can also mention Managers who have groomed players from Cradle and stuffs.

Van Gaal, Cappello, Hitzfeld, Benitez, Magath, Del Bosque, Rijkaard, Mourinho, Houlier, O Neill, Didier Deschamps, Dick Advocaat, Lippi, Ancelotti, etc have all groomed players.

In coaching, Its not how far but how well else would you say Guy Roux is better than Mourinho based on number of years at the job
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
dayokanu:

I can mention 20 managers who have won league titles in Europe. I can also mention Managers who have groomed players from Cradle and stuffs.

Wenger has done both. Unearthing gems and winning league titles with them.
How many of you guys know Wenger discovered George Weah in the dirty streets of Liberia? Well, Weah went on to become WPOTY.

Van Gaal, Cappello, Hitzfeld, Benitez, Magath, Del Bosque, Rijkaard, Mourinho, Houlier, O Neill, Didier Deschamps, privates Advocaat, Lippi, Ancelotti, etc have all groomed players.

I agree with all the names on this list but you have to factor continuity as well in a GRADE A league.
Majority of the managers here have been in and out of jobs here and there but Wenger has been in the same job for over a decade.

In coaching, Its not how far but how well else would you say Guy Roux is better than Mourinho based on number of years at the job

In coaching, it is how far + how well.
Even Pep will slap his apologists for putting his name ahead of Wenger. I don't like Arsene but lets give him his credits.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 4:55pm On Sep 22, 2009
Wenger has done both. Unearthing gems and winning league titles with them.
How many of you guys know Wenger discovered George Weah in the dirty streets of Liberia? Well, Weah went on to become WPOTY.
It does not matter who discovered I think its more to do with who groomed. CR7 was discovered in Lisbon. Most credits go to Fergie for grooming him to WPY. countless WPY talents have been mismanaged by coaches after discovering them. Kaka and Messi were once written off as footballers

Van Gaal - Seedoft, Davids, Xavi I dont need to count won titles

Cappello- Maldini, Raul, etc I dont need to count his titles

Hitzfeld- Won several titles discovered many players
I dont need to list them you know them too well.

I agree with all the names on this list but you have to factor continuity as well in a GRADE A league.
Majority of the managers here have been in and out of jobs here and there but Wenger has been in the same job for over a decade.

By the same statement, you can argue Wenger is better than Cappelo or Guy Roux is better than Mourinho.
Does that make sense?
Being on a job doesnt count when you dont win tangible trophies. 3 league titles in almost 15 years is POOR (disregarding his European failure.)

In coaching, it is how far + how well.

Trophies matter more than anything else in football, Guy Roux coached a team for over 50 years, I doubt if anyone would mention his name amongst coaches.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 5:10pm On Sep 22, 2009
dayokanu:

It does not matter who discovered I think its more to do with who groomed. CR7 was discovered in Lisbon. Most credits go to Fergie for grooming him to WPY. countless WPY talents have been mismanaged by coaches after discovering them. Kaka and Messi were once written off as footballers

Fergie discovered Ronaldo. . . . . .Granted, he was already playing in Lisbon but there were many players with his ability in Sporting Lisbon.
Quaresma was even a bigger prospect in 2003 when Fergie brought Ronaldo to Man Utd at the age of 18.
Wenger took Weah from Africa to Europe. . . . . .This is not Lisbon to United or Boca Juniors to Barcelona.

Van Gaal - Seedoft, Davids, Xavi I dont need to count won titles
Cappello- Maldini, Raul, etc I dont need to count his titles
Hitzfeld- Won several titles discovered many players

None of these uns went on to become WPOTY.
They are all legends in their own rights but Wenger's case is more rags to riches than Seedorf, Xavi or Maldini.

By the same statement, you can argue Wenger is better than Cappelo or Guy Roux is better than Mourinho.
Does that make sense?
Being on a job doesnt count when you dont win tangible trophies. 3 league titles in almost 15 years is POOR (disregarding his European failure.)

Of course, Wenger is better than Capello. Capello has managed stronger teams thus the strings of titles to his name.
Arsenal are not exactly the Brazil 1970 team or Germany 1990 team.
That Arsenal are competing in the top four in the EPL is a testament to Wenger's managerial skills. Forget his lack of trophies in Europe.
Capello, Hitzfeld, Rijkaard, Lippi and Ancellotti cannot lead Arsenal to European glory with the young'uns at Arsenal.

Trophies matter more than anything else in football, Guy Roux coached a team for over 50 years, I doubt if anyone would mention his name amongst coaches

Guy Roux managed Auxerre FFS!!!
Let him stay in Real Madrid or Barcelona or Man Utd for 50 years and letz see if peops won't know him.
The strength of the club matters a lot. U cannot expect Capello to lead West Brom or Burnley to win the UCL. It is impossible.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 5:30pm On Sep 22, 2009
Fergie discovered Ronaldo. . . . . .Granted, he was already playing in Lisbon but there were many players with his ability in Sporting Lisbon.
Quaresma was even a bigger prospect in 2003 when Fergie brought Ronaldo to Man Utd at the age of 18.
Wenger took Weah from Africa to Europe. . . . . .This is not Lisbon to United or Boca Juniors to Barcelona.

Weah didnt achieve anything in Monaco. He became big in PSG and Milan.

WOuld you credit the coach he brought Etoo to Madrid, who brought Adebayor from Togo to Metz

None of these uns went on to become WPOTY.
They are all legends in their own rights but Wenger's case is more rags to riches than Seedorf, Xavi or Maldini.

Weah did not win WPOTY under Wenger, Weah under Wenger was far below Xavi, Maldini or Seedorf

Of course, Wenger is better than Capello. Capello has managed stronger teams thus the strings of titles to his name.
Arsenal are not exactly the Brazil 1970 team or Germany 1990 team.
That Arsenal are competing in the top four in the EPL is a testament to Wenger's managerial skills. Forget his lack of trophies in Europe.
Capello, Hitzfeld, Rijkaard, Lippi and Ancellotti cannot lead Arsenal to European glory with the young'uns at Arsenal.

Cappelo managed Roma to a title after 18 years,

Before Wenger took over at Arsenal they won a European title and won the league 5 years earlier.

So your tale of Arsenal being a horrible is overbloated.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by mystikal(m): 5:59pm On Sep 22, 2009
Ferguson rightly deserves his position.

Sentiments aside, I dont think Wenger is as poor as some people are trying 2 make him look.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by biina: 6:01pm On Sep 22, 2009
While a case can be made for SAF being the best manager, he is definitely not the best coach. The likes of Capello, Lippi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Van Gaal, and even Mourinho, are clearly better.
SAF, like most EPL managers, has always had the benefit of long term stability.
But then the club structure in most UK clubs is different from what they have in Europe. So one can argue that SAF is the best guy for his type of job, but I dont see him being successful outside of UK or with a national team.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by mystikal(m): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2009
biina:

While a case can be made for SAF being the best manager, he is definitely not the best coach. The likes of Capello, Lippi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Van Gaal, and even Mourinho, are clearly better.
SAF, like most EPL managers, has always had the benefit of long term stability.
But then the club structure in most UK clubs is different from what they have in Europe. So one can argue that SAF is the best guy for his type of job, but I dont see him being successful outside of UK or with a national team.
I'm thinking only SAF & AW and maybe Moyes have enjoyed that stability.

If a coach stays long on job, surely he must be at least good at something.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2009

Tell me what Moyes and Wenger were good at

I would also want to know what Guy Roux the manager of Auxerre for 50years was good at
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by biina: 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2009
mystikal:

Rafa 5yrs + at liverpool and no major trophy in the past 4yrs
Martin Oneil  3yrs + and nothing

In Europe, you would be fired without results.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by mystikal(m): 6:27pm On Sep 22, 2009
biina:

Martin Oneil 3yrs + and nothing

last time I checked England isn't in Africa, just kidding

I would want to believe Villa is making progress under O'Neill, Liverpool finally really challenged for the premiership last season.
Just because other European Clubs fire their Managers all willy nilly, doesnt make it commendable. Little wonder the English Clubs are the ones that go furthest in Europe.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by biina: 6:32pm On Sep 22, 2009
mystikal:

last time I checked England isn't in Africa, just kidding

I would want to believe Villa is making progress under O'Neill, Liverpool finally really challenged for the premiership last season.
Just because other European Clubs fire their Managers all willy nilly, doesnt make it commendable. Little wonder the English Clubs are the ones that go furthest in Europe.
The point wasnt about whether it was beneficial to fire the coaches or not, but simply that the UK manager often enjoys a stability denied to their continental counterparts, and thus their results should be taken in that light.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by mystikal(m): 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2009
alrighty. I get your point.

just a careless question outta curiousity, do u prefer a good manager or a good coach? culling from ur previous post?
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 6:45pm On Sep 22, 2009
dayokanu:

Weah didnt achieve anything in Monaco. He became big in PSG and Milan.
WOuld you credit the coach he brought Etoo to Madrid, who brought Adebayor from Togo to Metz

Those twats you mentioned above never won WPOTY.
Besides the managers who brought em from Africa have not done any significant thingy like Wenger has done.
Stop isolating achievements. . . . . .Look at the total package.

Weah did not win WPOTY under Wenger, Weah under Wenger was far below Xavi, Maldini or Seedorf

Weah doesn't have to win it under Wenger. . . . . .Without Wenger, we wouldn't have had an African player winning the WPOTY.
Had Ronaldo left 13 months ago, he woulda won the WPOTY under Juande Ramos. . . . .so does that make Ramos a world class manager?

Cappelo managed Roma to a title after 18 years,

This achievement is neither here or there.
It all depends on the amount of money Roma spent when they employed Capello's services.

Before Wenger took over at Arsenal they won a European title and won the league 5 years earlier.
So your tale of Arsenal being a horrible is overbloated.

Different times my friend.
It is harder to win in Europe now than the days of Bayern Munich doing 3 in a row and Madrid doing 5 in a row.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by biina: 6:55pm On Sep 22, 2009
mystikal:

alrighty. I get your point.

just a careless question outta curiousity, do u prefer a good manager or a good coach? culling from your previous post?
I am not really partial to one, as it all boils down to assignment of responsibilities. A good manager supported by a good coach or assistant coach, is same as a good coach supported by a good sporting/football director. For me its more about the skill set of the individuals and how those match to their job responsibilities.
Example, while Capello is definitely one of the best coaches around, I think he would fail as manager in the kind of setup that ManU has, as he doesn't have the man management skills for the job.
The only thing I require is the insatiable hunger to win, and that is one department that I feel Wenger lacks when compared to someone like SAF.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 10:34pm On Sep 22, 2009
Arsenal won just a year before Wenger joined tell me things suddenly became tough the moment Wenger joined in that same 'tough' time, Houllier, Benitez and Fergie won in Europe

We can also give credit to the coach who discovered Kaka in Brazil even to the cab driver who took Weah to the airport
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by dayokanu(m): 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2009
What money did Capello spend in Roma only Batistuta
I remember Wenger also bought Reyes, henry and walcot for huge sums what has it won him that previous arsenal managers didnt?
Grooming is what counts not discovering. Count the number of 'future WPOTY' that are now playing in division 2 due to bad grooming
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by chic2pimp(m): 12:00am On Sep 23, 2009
soccerprof:

Goal.com Poll
Who is the best coach in the world?
Jose Mourinho 26.95%
Pep Guardiola 13.77%
Sir Alex Ferguson 46.11%
Marcello Lippi 8.38%
Fabio Capello 4.79%

What a crappy poll.

Yes may be fergie did deserve to be no1(though up for discussion) but c'mon how can anyone rate Mourinho second and Pep third.

I agree with sauron on a thing. Wengay is a far better manager than Pep. However wengay is not better than capello. Wengay is below everyone on that list except Pep as far I am concerned.

Lastly IMHO,i'll also rate Mourinho below both lippi and Capello. With time mourinho might surpass them but as of now that ain't the case.

This is my list:-

Alex Ferguson

Marcelo Lippi

Fabio Capello

Jose Mourinho

Arsene Wenger

Josep Guardiola

You can switch the first three around. Fergie edges it on my list because of his longevity.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by chic2pimp(m): 12:14am On Sep 23, 2009
biina:

SAF, like most EPL managers, has always had the benefit of long term stability..
   GBAM Couldn't have said It any better.

biina:

Martin Oneil  3yrs + and nothing

Well said again.

I'll also add fergie to the last. There is no denying it Fergie is a legendary manager however had he managed any other european giant on the continent I believe he would have gotten the boot by now.

Two european cups in 23 years would be seen as a poor return by other european heavyweight teams.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by biina: 4:59am On Sep 23, 2009
Capello CV speaks for itself, and his work with England just buttresses the point.
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by tkb417(m): 10:07am On Sep 23, 2009
as for me o

1) SAF
2) Mourinho
2) Ancellotti
4) Capello
5) Hitszfield
6) Hiddink
7) Others

Mouinho and Ancellotti are tied grin
Re: Goal.com-sir Alex Ferguson Voted As The World Best Among Other Best Coach by Sauron1: 10:34am On Sep 23, 2009
chic2pimp:

I'll also add fergie to the last. There is no denying it Fergie is a legendary manager however had he managed any other european giant on the continent I believe he would have gotten the boot by now.

Gotten which boot?
11 EPL titles in 17 seasons woulda gotten the boot?
It's too early to start talking via your ass, hombre. Fergie woulda kept his job anywhere in Europe and that includes Barca, Madrid and Milan.

Two european cups in 23 years would be seen as a poor return by other european heavyweight teams.

Yet another goof.
Fergie did not lead Man Utd to Europe until 1991(There was a 5 year ban on English clubs in Europe when Fergie joined Man Utd).
He actually won in Europe in his first attempt by beating Barcelona in 1991.
In those 18 years, he won the European cup THRICE. 1991, 1999 and 2008. 3 European titles in 18 years for Man Utd is not so bad.
U have to factor his exploits at Aberdeen too. Breaking the OLD FIRM and winning in Europe(beating Bayern and Madrid) in 1983.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs Stoke City (4 - 2) On Saturday 20th October 2012 / Alan Shearer's Career Ended Too Soon / Champions League: Fiorentina - Liverpool,2-0 On Tuesday 29th September 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.