Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,235 members, 7,842,653 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job (761 Views)

Top 7 Jobs That Didn’t Exist 10 Years Ago / Top 7 Blue Collar Jobs Unemployed Nigerian Graduates Should Consider / No Good Job? –try These Top 7 Nigerian ICT Jobs With High Employment Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job by Felixitie(m): 6:59pm On Aug 05, 2016
According to Gallup’s most recent statistics, only 34% of working professionals are fully engaged and motivated at work. This means a huge 66% of professionals are, on some level, dissatisfied in their current job.

While there could be many reasons for this (e.g. an exhausting commute) one of the main culprits is actually that people are simply in a job that isn’t right for them. How do you know if this is the case? Here are 7 signs you’re probably in the wrong job:

1) You dread going to work

This one is pretty obvious. If you’re waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat or spending every night crying into a tub of Ben & Jerry’s because you’re dreading going to work the next day – I think it’s safe to say you’re in the wrong job. If you feel you are stuck in a job you hate here are some tips to help you get unstuck

2) It doesn’t come naturally to you

I am not a natural sales person. Naturally, I’m good at helping people. And solving problems. So when I took a job in recruitment believing I would be helping people to discover it was really all about sales – boy did I struggle. I found myself working twice as hard and working twice as long just to achieve results my colleagues could accomplish in their sleep.

If what you are doing doesn’t come naturally to you, and you don’t enjoy it anyway, then stop. Work with a career coach to discover your natural talents and find a job that will allow you to tap into those instead.

3) You feel like you don’t fit in

I had one job where I felt as if I didn’t fit in. And after a personality test showed there were 9 ‘A’ type personalities on my team and only 2 ‘B’ types (including me) – that confirmed it.

Many companies and jobs generally attract a certain type of personality. If you don’t feel as if you fit in, there is a chance your personality might be better suited to another job. Investigate careers where you might work with similar-minded people and explore those instead.

4) You fear the old “So, what do you do?” question

If every time you’re asked “What do you do?” you feel a sense of shame or embarrassment, you’re probably in the wrong job. People who love what they do are proud of their profession, and can talk about it all day long.

And if hearing other people talking about how much they love their job makes you either turn into the incredible hulk inside, or reach for that tub of Ben and Jerry’s again, it’s most definitely time to reassess what you really want out of your career.

5) You’re stressed

Stress is a natural part of life. Even people who love their jobs can experience stress from time to time. However, if you’re stressed most of the time it could indicate you are in the wrong job. Often when we are asked to perform tasks that are not in line with our preferences, or we feel like we have to behave in a way that is not who we are naturally – this internal conflict can lead to feelings of stress, anxiety and confusion. Find a job where you feel you can be yourself, doing what you love, and watch the stress disappear. Here are some useful tips to help you manage your stress levels.

6) You feel trapped by your salary

You want out but genuinely believe that you won’t get the same salary doing something else, somewhere else. That might well be true – for a while. Remember thought it won’t always be like that. Do what you love and the money will come as they say. The key thing here is to ask, “What effect is staying in a job I hate having on me? If I stay in this job, who will I become? How will it affect my relationships? My health? My sanity?”. What price tag can you really put on all of that?

7) They could double your salary and you would still go to work kicking and screaming

This is a no-brainer. If you imagine your boss offering to double your salary, and you still want to leave, this would indicate a severe lack of job satisfaction. Either you’re bored or you’re burnt out – either way – if doubling your salary isn’t enough to motivate you to stay, it’s time to move on.

We spend 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, at work. Why spend that time doing something you don’t enjoy? Life is short ladies and gentlemen. Don’t do something you hate and count away the days. Do something you love and make every day count.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/life-style/healthy-living/2016/03/31/Career-coaching-Top-7-signs-you-are-in-the-wrong-job.html
Re: Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job by clems88(m): 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2016
undecided like mine no dey give me joy again. I get angry when i discover its morning
Re: Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job by Felixitie(m): 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
clems88:
undecided like mine no dey give me joy again. I get angry when i discover its morning
Lol...sorry bro
Re: Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 06, 2016
embarassed its all of the above for me. I dread going to work. am never happy. I am not proud of what I do. infact I should just quit but then again...
Re: Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job by Felixitie(m): 10:32am On Aug 06, 2016
ENIMONEY:
embarassed its all of the above for me. I dread going to work. am never happy. I am not proud of what I do. infact I should just quit but then again...
Take your time and decide. Remember, don't compromise your happiness..
Re: Top 7 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 06, 2016
Felixitie:

Take your time and decide. Remember, don't compromise your happiness..
thanks boss. will do something about it soon.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment At IROKO Partners Limited (100 Positions) / Mayfair Projects Limited Latest Job Recruitment (15 Positions) / Fg/ Huawei Ict For Change Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.