Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,659 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines (13107 Views)

See The Number Of People LASTMA Arrests Daily Over Traffic Offenses / 9 Steps For Payment Of Fines By Traffic Violators – FRSC / LASTMA Traffic Fines Lists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:08am On Aug 06, 2016
justicejay:
This is a weekend 4 God sake undecided.
And how does this fucking meaningless tread makes it to FP. Mods no get anywork to do...
Its really bad starting weekend with diss yeye post

Do you work for RD safety?
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:11am On Aug 06, 2016
afoxy81:
I wonder how these people act with such sense of no impunity. This case is quite similar to my experience of December 24 2015. I was travelling with my family from ibadan to Lagos for Christmas with Christmas goat in my wagon ( 1998 passat) along lagos abeokuta express. I only asked to be given a through pass as the frsc guy was delaying me while trying obtain e gun je from an overloaded cab the walked up to me and asked why I was hooting. as a correct ibadan boy I kept him in his place so he started asking for my safety kits and license when he couldn't find fault he claimed I am overloaded cos of the ram. We were only 3 in a wagon car o. The guy booked me I had to pay 2k cos my wife pleaded with him he said my fee was 10k

sure say no be small cow u carry for boot? grin

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Ijscarface: 7:11am On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:
Sorry to say this: Fire extinguisher is a very important and urgent safety equipment. Imagine there has been fire, your mum would have needed to produce it in a jiffy, so it is an offence for her not to know its whereabout. It is not enough to have a fire extinguisher, it must be strategically placed for easy and immediate access in case of fire.
Secondly the FRSC in question didn't extort but gave an official fine. The money paid goes straight into government coffer.
It is an unfortunate incident but let your mum be conversant with where those items are placed before driving her car out. In case of emergency such knowledge might save her and her car.
[color=#000099][/color]

Its an offence not to own an extinguisher but no knowing where it is is a human error. She should have gotten a warning thats it. Not a booking. PERIOD

3 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by xhero: 7:19am On Aug 06, 2016
I can't believe an idiot looked @ dis thread and called it 'meaningless' and a second idiot said 'just pay and forget'! Threads like dis are supposed to be the main reason for nairaland's existence rather dan talkin abt wot one celebrity wore to an occasion or other nonsense! Let's learn to join the fight against dis menaces and collective official gang of criminals (frsc,Vio,lastma,kia) as the are not adding value to dis country in anyway. they shld be restricted to controlling traffic and responding to road emergencies

4 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by LizFem: 7:20am On Aug 06, 2016
I have questions based on a personal experience,

1) if one is fined for driving with two 'worn out tyres' is one required to pay the fine immediately? the offence sheet says you have 7 days to make payment before being taken to court.

2)
Does the FRSC have the right to collect ones car keys even after no resistance whatsoever from the 'offender'?

3) Does the FRSC have the right to drive ones car into their premises while the owner is in the bank trying to pay the fine and without the owners knowledge and insist on the two tyres being replaced with new ones before the vehicle can be released?

4)How long is the grace period given by the FRSC before a driver can renew his license.

I will really appreciate answers to these questions of mine. thanks.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 06, 2016
I dislike this frsc official with a passion. They don't even have first time offender in their dictionary. undecided
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by tete7000(m): 7:24am On Aug 06, 2016
Ijscarface:
[color=#000099][/color]

Its an offence not to own an extinguisher but no knowing where it is is a human error. She should have gotten a warning thats it. Not a booking. PERIOD

Sadly the Road Safety guys can claim she couldn't produce it as at when she was booked and they were not under obligation to help her search for it. Had there been fire she equally wouldn't have the privilege of people helping her search for her extinguisher. It is an important piece of equipment she ought to be able to immediately access if need arises.

Let spare those guys, though they can be pain in ass sometimes (Just like they have been to me), in this case they were trying to help your mum. I have seen someone lose his car in fire because he didn't have an extinguisher and I have witnessed another motorist helped save another's car because he quickly produced his own extinguisher to help.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by sekem: 7:24am On Aug 06, 2016
decency123:
This one you snapped evrything, are u planning on taking him to court or reporting him.... buh to who?mehn just Pay the 3k and forget the issue

Shame on you!

Shameless Nigerian mentality!!

... And you are still wondering why your country will never progress!!! lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by STARGREEN(m): 7:24am On Aug 06, 2016
ok
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by STARGREEN(m): 7:28am On Aug 06, 2016
justicejay:

Taaar. U dey nigeria, if you can't fight back right there, you are just wasting your time right here.mtchewwww
I have tried to avoid responding to your comments but this second one got me thinking... everything is not done by physical fight. He has done the best he should, given the circumstances... maybe or perhaps in future you will understand better. That notwithstanding the post is of paramount important to many. Learn to accommodate. happy weekend.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by otswag(m): 7:31am On Aug 06, 2016
This useless people. I no dey stop for them again since a day they tried every means possible to extort 25k from me on bogus charges. They didnt succeed. Since then, d vex wey i dey use speed anytym i see dem for road ehn!
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by 9jatatafo(m): 7:34am On Aug 06, 2016
decency123:
This one you snapped evrything, are u planning on taking him to court or reporting him.... buh to who?mehn just Pay the 3k and forget the issue

Your brain needs acid wash
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by olaremint(m): 7:44am On Aug 06, 2016
I think maturity is needed here. I don't believe someone until I hear the other side but u admit that they did not collect bribe from you. However I have seen instances where Frsc let's u go with a warning, it has happened to me, so I believe approach matters a lot, ladies simply don't have it. Snapping and posting their pictures when they have committed no offence is wrong, it is your word against theirs, and now the men will work with vengeance, you have simply blown away the chance of millions who would have been pardoned, no more abeg sir, they will not work with mercy again.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 06, 2016
frsc should be more concerned with that funny looking dangerous muddy road in that picture. stupid agencies that should have been merged with the police. Its even funny how they catch speeding vehicles when they dont have speed limit signs on roads and radar detectors. Nigeria is one big jungle.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by justicejay(m): 7:51am On Aug 06, 2016
STARGREEN:

I have tried to avoid responding to your comments but this second one got me thinking... everything is not done by physical fight. He has done the best he should, given the circumstances... maybe or perhaps in future you will understand better. That notwithstanding the post is of paramount important to many. Learn to accommodate. happy weekend.
Not talking about physical fight neither. I don't think the person know his/her right or even knw hw to threaten pple stepping on her right.
I can't say much.
I knw u still av more to say. Jst keep it
Happy weekend.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by shellman: 7:55am On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:
Sorry to say this: Fire extinguisher is a very important and urgent safety equipment. Imagine there has been fire, your mum would have needed to produce it in a jiffy, so it is an offence for her not to know its whereabout. It is not enough to have a fire extinguisher, it must be strategically placed for easy and immediate access in case of fire.

Secondly the FRSC in question didn't extort but gave an official fine. The money paid goes straight into government coffer.

It is an unfortunate incident but let your mum be conversant with where those items are placed before driving her car out. In case of emergency such knowledge might save her and her car.
All the the safety kits requirements are not meant for Windows dressing. If, in case of emergency, 100% compliance will not achieve the desired objective, if one or drivers are ignorant of their positioning. This , in no way, is not in defence of FRSC
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Toosure70: 7:57am On Aug 06, 2016
Remove this nonsense post from the FP jor.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by guuttj(m): 8:19am On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:

bros, in civilised countries, she is cautioned and showed were they are by the officials.. she is delayed for a while cos of been schooled for the reason she should know where they are and let go. she is a senior citizen for Gods sake..pls let's stop been to strict with our judgement

1 Like

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Originalsly: 8:36am On Aug 06, 2016
@Op..... What exactly did the FRSC do that was against the law or their duty? Wasn't your mother supposed to follow the rules by producing the kit upon request by the officers? She failed to... and the officers did what is required of them when someone fails to produce the kit. Isn't that being professional? Both you and your mother want to be wrong and strong instead of being humble and apologetic and hope the officers just give a warning. Attitude is a big deal breaker. You chasing after and confronting the officers just shows how wrong and how strong you be. Travel to a developed country... similar situation... similar behaviour... you would be shocked at the number of charges and the heavy fines and maybe jail time you would be facing. You're out of order in this situation.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by tomdon(m): 8:45am On Aug 06, 2016
kingreign:

[size=40pt]SHUT UP![/size]
If everyone allow corrupt officers go scot free, then we will be doomed, one must be made a scape goat. Say no to unlawfulful extortionl and oppression.

Reading the incoherent write up by the OP, it is clear that the woman wasn't wrongly booked
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Fawklicant: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2016
tete7000:

Sadly the Road Safety guys can claim she couldn't produce it as at when she was booked and they were not under obligation to help her search for it. Had there been fire she equally wouldn't have the privilege of people helping her search for her extinguisher. It is an important piece of equipment she ought to be able to immediately access if need arises.

Let spare those guys, though they can be pain in ass sometimes (Just like they have been to me), in this case they were trying to help your mum. I have seen someone lose his car in fire because he didn't have an extinguisher and I have witnessed another motorist helped save another's car because he quickly produced his own extinguisher to help.

Spot on bros! A lot of people co,menting here are just being emotional including the @op.
His mum couldnt produce any of the items she was asked to produce and they were not under any obligation to help her search. If she had a flat tire or involved in a fire, how would she have warned oncoming motorists/tried to stop the fire?

A ticket already issued by the FRSC is irreversible, even if the corps marshall (oga patapata) intervenes, the highest he (corps marshall) can do is to pay the fine for the offender. That is how they operate, so your best bet is not to let them issue the ticket in the first place.

The op's mum broke the law and he started taking pictures and pasting them on social media even when her car is still with them? Dumb move, very very dumb move. Now they can even mandate her to come for compulsory training for some days and psyche eval before releasing her car to her.

You think you can just come to social media and post trash and enjoy a pity party even when you are monumentally wrong? You are acting emotionally not logically.

A lot of times, frsc would let you slide if it is a minor offence like tail lights malfunction or stuff like that, but tires/extinguishers/windshields/hydraulic jack/warning triangle and the likes are very necessary basics that they do not overlook and rightly so.

Be polite to law enforcement, and you'd be amazed at the results. I'm not saying you should lick butts or play suck up and go all paddy paddy, no! Be polite. Never got a booking from FRSC/VIO in the past 5 years and I meet them regularly.

Above all, make sure you are on the right side of the law.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Fawklicant: 8:55am On Aug 06, 2016
guuttj:
bros, in civilised countries, she is cautioned and showed were they are by the officials.. she is delayed for a while cos of been schooled for the reason she should know where they are and let go. she is a senior citizen for Gods sake..pls let's stop been to strict with our judgement

She would not be given any warning, she'd be lucky if she is allowed to drive in the foreseeable future. You don't know where warning triangle is in your car as small as a car is neither do you know where fire extinguisher is? Two very important things that your life could depend on? You might as well not know where the spare tire is! Wrong on all levels.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by princemedico: 9:07am On Aug 06, 2016
It's very annoying that the mindset of the average Nigerian youth is wired to accept corruption. You can imagine the nonsense some people are typing here.
She was supposed to be given only a warning for not knowing the position of the extinguisher.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Fawklicant: 9:07am On Aug 06, 2016
LizFem:
I have questions based on a personal experience,

1) if one is fined for driving with two 'worn out tyres' is one required to pay the fine immediately? the offence sheet says you have 7 days to make payment before being taken to court.

2)
Does the FRSC have the right to collect ones car keys even after no resistance whatsoever from the 'offender'?

3) Does the FRSC have the right to drive ones car into their premises while the owner is in the bank trying to pay the fine and without the owners knowledge and insist on the two tyres being replaced with new ones before the vehicle can be released?

4)How long is the grace period given by the FRSC before a driver can renew his license.

I will really appreciate answers to these questions of mine. thanks.

I'm not an frsc official but from experience, I can answer some of your questions.
1.You have the stipulated days to pay. You don't have to pay immediately.
2. Your keys will be collected after your car has been taken into their premises
3. You will be asked to drive your car into their premises, failure to comply, your car would be towed into their premises and you'd be made to pay the towing charges eventually. The offence for which you were arrested has to be corrected first so yes! You have to replace tires before vehicle is released to you.

4. To the best of my knowledge, no grace period. As soon as it is about to expire, go for renewal. Besides, you'd even get a reminder on your mobile phone to do so in most cases. Always stay on the right side of the law, at least try to.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by gloryman91: 9:08am On Aug 06, 2016
The problem is not this guys but directives from above in Abuja (their useless cultists ogas). PMB please scrap or merged FRSC now!....
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Desanta(m): 9:28am On Aug 06, 2016
I think they should be scrapped because they have become a source of nuisance on the road.
Better still, convert them to yellow fever.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Emeka71(m): 10:16am On Aug 06, 2016
Road safety.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by mank1234(m): 10:16am On Aug 06, 2016
free2ryhme:
FRSC still dey exist I don't stop for any yeye flagging from them when on the highway

That's indiscipline and breaking the law. Not stopping is bad. Think, it can lead to accident. Just ensure all you are required to have is intact, be friendly and respectful, if they then book you frivolously, you can then engage them.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by kay9(m): 10:17am On Aug 06, 2016
decency123:

I'm ashamed that my Nigerian passport associates me with people like you. Comments like yours are one of the reasons Nigeria is a country where ANYTHING goes.
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by Desanta(m): 10:19am On Aug 06, 2016
Is there any constitutional lawyer in the house?
Please does anyone know how we the citizens of this country can make the federal government scrap FRSC?
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by free2ryhme: 10:22am On Aug 06, 2016
mank1234:

That's indiscipline and breaking the law. Not stopping is bad. Think, it can lead to accident. Just ensure all you are required to have is intact, be friendly and respectful, if they then book you frivolously, you can then engage them.

I stop when I see responsible FRSC not those hungry looking bloody sucking demons
Re: FRSC Between Non Offenses and Unjust Fines by donodion(m): 10:41am On Aug 06, 2016
Somatic:
Lalasticlala come and see snake that looks like Tonto Dike O!

Today, I was at my shed minding my business and trying to prevent the devil from rumpling my destiny when at exactly 3:13pm, I received a call. The frenzied voice at the other end, my mother's. She claimed the FRSC then stationed a few meters to her home were holding her on her inability to produce for them, her warning triangle and her triangle extinguisher. I tried my best to guide her towards where the items were kept, however she succeeded in getting out the triangle sans extinguisher.

Drove to the scene with a colleague to discover that they have let her go. Only after booking her irreversibly and seizing her license accordingly. My much calmer colleague pleaded that they reverse the charge bearing in mind that it was done in error. They admitted the error but turned to blame their error on my mum's inability to know the whereabouts of her particulars. I asked if any of them if they helped her search, seeing she couldn't get it. Instead, one Emmanuel Baka said my mother annoyed him by sitting in the car and making calls instead of getting out to beg.

Called mum to come back to scene to confirm their claims. She asked them to their face to deny that she begged them, each and every one. She begged that she leave the car with them and walk home to seek out the 'truant extinguisher'. She begged they allow me come before taking action. She used every old lady sentiment on them. And yet they didn't budge. The Emmanuel guy said the charge is irreversible and she has to pay. His "consolation", rather than pay within the two week ultimatum, my mum has "an extended grace period" of 1 month to pay the fine or get charged to court. Meanwhile her driver's license had been seized already. I ranted and raved. Mum and colleague begged and pleaded. FRSC Maraban Jos Kaduna unit did not budge. Apparently TGIF returns does cloud proper sense of reasoning and judgement. The amount(3,000) is not much. How ever, the unfairness and injustice of it all..... I can't explain. He even threatened to add obstruction of duty to the already existing charges if we do not leave his presence. And yours truly dared him to.

Meanwhile right before them, a bad driver was reported and an accident occurred. Unofficial PRO Emmanuel Baka maintained that first they are mandated not to act on citizen information, and the accident was "not within his jurisdiction". So extortion is within his jurisdiction, I queried. I do not know if the uniform by Nigerian law enforcement provides cover for all sorts of impunity. However, if it is so, through this platform, Emmanuel Baka and FRSC Birnin Yero Unit, Maraban Jos and their likes may learn the proper use of the uniform on their backs and the office that they hold.

Op.. thanks for identifying few of those FRSC officiala invokved.
Guys lets do the needful, share the story across please.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cost Of O2 Sensor / 5 Ways Your Car Tyres Will Help You Save On Petrol During This Recession. / What's Your Favourite Car Name/s?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.