Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,655 members, 7,854,732 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 04:42 AM

Noni: I Was Afraid Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Noni: I Was Afraid Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body. (498 Views)

Iyabo Ojo Says She’s Done With Business In Nigeria, As Taxes/bills Knock Her Out / "I'm Afraid Of Snakes And Heights" - MI As He Shares New Pictures / Kenyan Reporter Shades Nigeria As Zuckerberg Leaves Nigeria For Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Noni: I Was Afraid Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body. by Fmartin(m): 10:52pm On Aug 05, 2016
Nigerian transgender Noni Salma formerly known as Habeeb babtunde Lawal has in a new interview with Joy Isi Bewaji explained how and why he decided to leave Nigeria to become a transgender in the United States..

Habeeb was an entertainment journalist in Lagos before he left the shores of Nigeria to pursue a degree in film in New York. There he said he found a place that was accepting of who he truly is – a woman.

He is now a trans woman, and her name is Noni Salma.

Enjoy excerpts of the interview. Noni reveals she has always been attracted to men because dating women made her feel like a lesbian.

JIB: You are transsexual because you have done the gender re-assignment surgery, right?

Noni: It’s a personal decision and I don’t need a surgery to be transgender. Whatever I decide to do is personal and an individual choice. The surgery is not a requirement. s*x re-assignment is personal. Transgender is an umbrella term that has nothing to do with surgery. If a transgender has had surgery, they are called pre-op trans and after surgery, they are known as post-op trans.

JIB: How does it feel to be a woman?

Noni: I have been a woman all my life. I was born a woman. It was more of accepting myself. My gender has never been in question. I was just scared of living in Nigeria while being a woman in a man’s body. I have never been a man. I don’t know what being a man feels like.

JIB: How did you deal with societal expectations?

Noni: I was bullied a lot. I was attacked for being feminine every day. I couldn’t tell my parents. Everything was exhausting and I became suicidal. The only way out was to transition. I kept asking myself why I wasn’t comfortable in my skin. It took me a year of therapy to finally convince myself to go through the transition process. It was scary. I never thought it would get to a point I would accept myself.

JIB: What gender are you sexually attracted to?

Noni: I have always been attracted to men. Dating women made me feel like a lesbian. A woman could be standing Unclad in front of me and it would be like a mannequin. I was at an awkward stage in my life and didn’t date much.

JIB: You live In New York. Do you have a lot of support there?
Noni: I have a lot of support here. I live in the Bronx, and daily I am amazed at the love people have shown me. I can navigate my world without feeling trapped. Not every Trans woman is lucky.

JIB: If you meet a man you are attracted to… do you tell men you are trans?

Noni: I always say it. I put it out there. Because it is shocking how holding back can hurt everyone. People can get violent at the drop a hat. ‘I love you’ can turn violent really fast when they don’t get the full picture of what they are into.

JIB: Who was the first person you told you were Trans?

Noni: In Nigeria I didn’t tell anyone. I carried a lot of baggage around. Since the news got out, I haven’t reached out to my family..... Read more

http://www.informationng.com/2016/08/noni-salma-i-was-scared-of-living-in-nigeria-as-a-woman-in-a-mans-body.html

Re: Noni: I Was Afraid Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 05, 2016
cheesy cheesy
Welcome to OUR world. Few months in that body, I pray you will not PAY to change again undecided.

It's not easy to be a woman! Ask your mama
Re: Noni: I Was Afraid Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 05, 2016
Endtime women... guys be sure of who you might be geting married... he/she deserve to be stoned

(1) (Reply)

See The Full Nomination List For Paradise Music Festival & Awards 2016 / Photo: Duncan Mighty Gives To Widows, Says It Is One Of My Success Secrets / Charly Boy Blasts Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.