Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,218 members, 7,836,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market (24653 Views)

Foreign Airlines Reject Kaduna Airport / Nigerian Travellers Squeezed As Foreign Airlines Stop Ticket Sales In Naira / Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 08, 2016
1freshdude:

Though you are making sense bro, but its not as simple as you put it because the sector you talk about is capital intensive and above all the concern for safety is paramount. Nigerian operators are notorious for not adhering to caution and having a large number of inefficient staffs. The implication of this salient points is that the safety standards will be very low and the cost of flying will go up. In other words people will be worse off as the inefficiencies of airline operators will be transferred to consumers, and planes will be dropping off the sky regularly.
One of the advantages of international trade is that it puts corporation on their toes, ensures that resources are efficiently used and breeds efficient staffs because of the obvious competition and jostle for customers . Your argument that high manpower development opportunity is lacking is in order, and can be characterized as a market failure. Policy interventions (government) can correct this short comings (Its very unlikely that a UK trained Nigerian pilot will not get a job with say British airways if the opportunity exists). Foreigners doubt our certificates for the same reasons people with means go abroad to get medical attention when there are numerous doctors in the country. So the outcome of this case may not be as you fathom. And for jobs...its cheaper for Foreign firms to staff locally and will if they can find personnel's with certification from credible institutions after all they are in pursuit of profit.
If it were a different sector like clothes or shoe making (less sophisticated and capital intensive) then your analogy will be apt.

Like I said "Now if local airlines refuse to rake advantage of the opportunity...that's a different matter"
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:04pm On Aug 08, 2016
ehie:
I wonder oh,it is that his economy talk that is putting us in these mess,the government is looking at things as they want it to and not the reality,their policies cannot stand up to scrutiny.the polices are rid and obsolete and cannot evolve win time and change..2 years more to go

There is no one capsule solution, our economy is in a round box presently. And honestly speaking this government is not the casual agent, they just worsened the situation. We suffer from temporal myopia as a country and have consistently lived in the present, damning the future in our folly. We will pay for it with sweat and blood...no two ways.

I laugh at your last remark....2 years more to go...Let me ask and then what happens?
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:08pm On Aug 08, 2016
vodutive:

Like I said "Now if local airlines refuse to rake advantage of the opportunity...that's a different matter"

Do you sincerely think that there are local operators in Nigeria even capable of cleaning their backside properly, talk more of efficiently running an aviation industry successfully?

Its a rhetoric question bro...we all know the answer. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 08, 2016
1freshdude:

There is no one capsule solution, our economy is in a round box presently. And honestly speaking this government is not the casual agent, they just worsened the situation. We suffer from temporal myopia as a country and have consistently lived in the present, damning the future in our folly. We will pay for it with sweat and blood...no two ways.

I laugh at your last remark....2 years more to go...Let me ask and then what happens?
then another bout of waiting again,players change but the game remains the same
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 08, 2016
1freshdude:

Do you sincerely think that there are local operators in Nigeria even capable of cleaning their backside properly, talk more of efficiently running an aviation industry successfully?

Less than 10 years ago arik entered the market with multiple brand new planes at a time when no one thought it possible, so it's not impossible. Whether a Nigerian airline can operate to international standards especially with the national psyche and attitude to customer service, the state it is remains to be seen, I believe it is possible however the point is this is an opportunity for Nigerian airlines. We either seize it or remain enslaved to foreign Airlines. Not just aviation the exit of foreigners from certain sectors of the economy and scarcity of forex is an opportunity for Nigerian companies to dominate their home market and grow market share.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by vislabraye(m): 3:17pm On Aug 08, 2016
ehie:
Which kind yeye ogun state economics be this...food on the plate is better than fighting corruption.yeye government wey no go leearn.even obasanjo with all his high handedness created a middle class,if all the foreign companies that are creating jobs that Nigeria cannot provide go ,nigerians should now start eating themselves,we are going back to 1984 while ghana is going to 2020

Let them continue blaming GEJ. People that can't accept responsibility for their actions.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:18pm On Aug 08, 2016
ehie:
then another bout of waiting again

Looks like we want to wait all our lives, thats if Nigerians, the youths especially are comfortable with complaining online, engaging in nefarious activities and leaving off alms to survive. But if they want to know what it feels like to really live then they have to push for a structure change and a total overall of the current constitutions. One of the pitfalls of reform is preserving the avenues for exploitation that past leaders and dictators exploited...There is need for a structural change and there is no better time than now. The youths must see to this though, for left to your leaders, they want one Nigeria where there privileges are guaranteed!

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2016
vislabraye:

Let them continue blaming GEJ. People that can't accept responsibility for their actions.

While this government needs to take responsibility GEJ can not be forgotten in a hurry...noooo the guy was a crude thief!
Do you know what Billions of $$$ are? Do you know how easy it is to make just $10,000, or what value you can get for that? my brother GEJ can never be forgotten!

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by JayJustus(m): 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2016
so far the only airlines that have left Nigeria are Iberia and United airlines..Iberia left cos there was little traffic down their route...united left cos of the forex yes. .

quote me...I work in the hotel that lodges these two airlines ...
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2016
vodutive:

It was a case of the devil and the deep blue sea. Buhari is not the messiah even his anti corruption war is falling apart because he rode to power on the back of thieves nonetheless he is still better that GEJ. I pray for the day we have men of vision leading us once more.

I totally agree with you.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 08, 2016
1freshdude:

Looks like we want to wait all our lives, because if Nigerians, the youths especially are comfortable with complaining online, engaging in nefarious activities and leaving off alms to survive. If they want to know what it is like to really live then they have to push for a structure change and a total overall of the current constitutions. One of the pitfalls of reform is preserving the avenues for exploitation that past leaders and dictators exploited...There is need for a structural change and there is no better time than now. The youths must see to this though, for left to your leaders, they want one Nigeria where there privileges are guaranteed!

you speak the greatest of truths!! The scariest thing about this country are the youths. They are the ones with the most to lose, the ones with the greatest power(votes) yet the ones most docile and seemingly content with the rot. I guess many of them know no better! Most of the old people you complain about today were activists in their youth, they fought for independence. Student activism in those days was about societal injustice, today it's about crowd for hire! Their heroes are e-money and Linda Ikeji and in their ignorance seemingly oblivious to the rot that is the future of Nigeria they are more interested in the daily lives of celebrities.

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by vislabraye(m): 3:36pm On Aug 08, 2016
1freshdude:

While this government needs to take responsibility GEJ can not be forgotten in a hurry...noooo the guy was a crude thief!
Do you know what Billions of $$$ are? Do you know how easy it is to make just $10,000, or what value you can get for that? my brother GEJ can never be forgotten!

Was it under Gej that Buratai bought 2 houses in Dubai ? Is it under GEJ that we are going to spend over N29bn on forex subsidy to travel to Mecca (or even Jerusalem )?
The truth is that Buhari has not fought the corruption he said he will fight. As for Gej, I remember clearly when Amaechi and co opposed the ECA savings. So the blame is a shared responsibility. Buhari is an economic disaster. QED.

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2016
vodutive:

you speak the greatest of truths!! The scariest thing about this country are the youths. They are the ones with the most to lose, the ones with the greatest power(votes) yet the ones most docile and seemingly content with the rot. I guess many of them know no better! Most of the old people you complain about today were activists in their youth, they fought for independence. Student activism in those days was about societal injustice, today it's about crowd for hire!

Its a pity...they dont know what life could be like...they devote their time to things that are not important...just look at the proliferation of churches and mosques everywhere and the teeming number of youths who are in there servitude, with just a fraction gainfully employed? and yet they cannot ask themselves questions? Its crazy I mean...people are supposed to be religious when they are aged and about to die not when they are brimming with strength and Ideas...very appalling the situation in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by 1freshdude: 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
vislabraye:

Was it under Gej that Buratai bought 2 houses in Dubai ? Is it under GEJ that we are going to spend over N29bn on forex subsidy to travel to Mecca (or even Jerusalem )?
The truth is that Buhari has not fought the corruption he said he will fight. As for Gej, I remember clearly when Amaechi and co opposed the ECA savings. So the blame is a shared responsibility. Buhari is an economic disaster. QED.

You can add these names to the long list of state enemies...just place them below GEJ (the proponent of the goat and yam theory)
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by wadetaw202: 4:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
MadCow1:
Name the Airlines.. angry

And this is the best time for the Nigerian Government to launch a Brand new National Airline/Carrier.. angry

How can the 'so-called' giant of Africa not have a National Carrier? angry
You mean this same government that is very broke?

You expect them to launch national carrier?

Did you hear that power supply to Nigeria embassy in new York is already disconnected because of accumulated debt?
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by MadCow1: 4:29pm On Aug 08, 2016
wadetaw202:

You mean this same government that is very broke?

You expect them to launch national carrier?

Did you hear that power supply to Nigeria embassy in new York is already disconnected because of accumulated debt?

They probably think it was NEPA that was supplying them the light.. grin
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by uckennety(m): 4:33pm On Aug 08, 2016
I told d zombies!

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 08, 2016
This is how he wants investors to come
Investors should come and trap their money gainibg nothing.
This is sound business reasoning.... SMH

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by xpiranza: 5:23pm On Aug 08, 2016
bubu government on auto pilot
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by glossy6(f): 5:30pm On Aug 08, 2016
This is long expected as Nigerians have been using Ghana airport as entry and exit points to save costs on international flights.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by nextstep(m): 6:26pm On Aug 08, 2016
vodutive:
Which foreign airline has invested in the Nigerian aviation industry, which one has a maintainace hub in Nigeria? how many Nigerians do they employ? All they do is come take our passengers and then ask CBn to remit their profits at the official rates.

Nigerians are so dumb, they should rejoice because it means the growth of Nigerian airlines, it means Nigerian airlines will take up the passengers abandoned by these airlines, more importantly Nigerian airlines will earn foreign exchange, less competition for Nigerian airlines, it means growth of the local airlines, it means jobs!!!!!!

Think my people.

You make good points, but, allow me to rebut:

1. How will you maintain [sic] a maintenance hub in Nigeria when you have to import everything, even the engine oil? And will you buy Nigerian made (erm sorry Chinese-made-cheaply-for-Nigerian-market) spare parts, or will you import all that? At what exchange rate (which fluctuates on a daily basis, and CBN policies change all the freaking time) And where is the trained talent? Is is our do-anyhow-mechanics you're going to hire to delicately fasten airplane components? Moreover, it makes economic sense to build one maintenance facility in your home country, and send all your planes there, than to build several in different countries, particularly when it's in a country with severely degraded amenities, where you're not even guaranteed that you can be supplied enough water to wash your plane seats cushions.

2. why should they employ more Nigerians than they need? You hire the talent you need, no more and no less. Are you going to ask Air France to hire more Americans, Brits, Japanese, or Brazilians than they need to function in a particular country? This is not a charity.

3. In every sane country, airlines remit their money at the official rate. Why should Nigeria get special treatment because it doesn't know how to handle its affairs properly?

4. To leave us at the mercy of Nigerian airlines (e.g. Arik)... don't make me laugh. Arik has a red-carpet route from New York to Lagos and they manage to screw it up most of the time: never leaving on time, equipment issues galore. To give them more routes with little competition will only make them more complacent. And all the foreign exchange they earn will simply be used to buy fuel and parts abroad, and to maintain aircraft at foreign facilities. Profits will be used by the management to buy fancy houses, boats, and cars... abroad. Don't kid yourself.

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 08, 2016
nextstep:

You make good points, but, allow me to rebut:

1. How will you maintain [sic] a maintenance hub in Nigeria when you have to import everything, even the engine oil? And will you buy Nigerian made (erm sorry Chinese-made-cheaply-for-Nigerian-market) spare parts, or will you import all that? At what exchange rate (which fluctuates on a daily basis, and CBN policies change all the freaking time) And where is the trained talent? Is is our do-anyhow-mechanics you're going to hire to delicately fasten airplane components? Moreover, it makes economic sense to build one maintenance facility in your home country, and send all your planes there, than to build several in different countries, particularly when it's in a country with severely degraded amenities, where you're not even guaranteed that you can be supplied enough water to wash your plane seats cushions.

Firstly, if you create a maintenance hub in Nigeria you will have to import input materials (spare parts) agreed but the upside is you earn forex, create highly skilled jobs (not ticket sales) from airlines in the west African subregion who will now come to Nigeria to maintain their aircraft, because you have created a previously non existent industry which is customarily deals in forex, just as many go to south Africa now...it's not like South Africa build planes but they have a developed aviation industry. You seem to be making the case for foreign airlines, I am making the case for the development of Nigeria. It is not in their interest to have a hub in Nigeria that is why their presence here is uttimately not in our interest because all they do is sell tickets and repartriate the foex, they don't contribute anything to the development of our economy. As for our culture that is indeed our problem, this slow down (if this government really had any clue) is an opportunity to realign the pysche of the country. As for forex, if you are earning forex yourself, you are not worried about the rate. There are Nigerians who earn in forex, ask them if they are bothered about N400 to $1? Air ghana or Air Togo will pay you in forex for maintenamce, the tickets you sell abroad will be in forex so you will find you have less demand for forex.

nextstep:

2. why should they employ more Nigerians than they need? You hire the talent you need, no more and no less. Are you going to ask Air France to hire more Americans, Brits, Japanese, or Brazilians than they need to function in a particular country? This is not a charity.

Like I said above, I agree and I didn't say they should, they are a business not a charity and this is why they do what is in their interest and not what is in the interest of Nigeria. The interests of Nigeria is best served by having a buoyant domestic airlines, owned by Nigerians and not loking to CBN for forex each time they sell a ticket. All these countries you talk about protect their economies and their jobs. Why do you think Africans can't export competitively agricultural products to Europe like Tomato? They give their farmers subsidies to the point that they have a glut and end up dumping them on us. They will talk about Africa growing through agriculture, you try exporting anything to Europe that they produce themselves and see how far you get. When you open up your market to foreigners you have to make sure they don't destroy your own industries. Nigerians have been sabotaging themselves since the dawn of time, recently we went to sign agreement with China, China said they will give us a loan but they will finance anything we procure from Chines industries and the suplliers must use Chinese steel, then we will open our mouth in newspapers saying we want to develop the Nigerian steel industry...go figure that one out!!! China is not helping us, there are not our friends, China is helping Chinese manufacturers by financing their customers, preserving high tech Chinese jobs we should start thinking Nigeria 1st! We are the mugus that allows free trade anyhow because we read it inside books that the oyinbo man wrote and end up destroying our own industries and jobs.

nextstep:

3. In every sane country, airlines remit their money at the official rate. Why should Nigeria get special treatment because it doesn't know how to handle its affairs properly?

Nobody said they should, I am simply saying considering our dwindling forex profile we should reduce the things that aare a drain on our forex like tooth picks and foreign airline ticket sales. We must always put Nigeria 1st not the airlines.

nextstep:

4. To leave us at the mercy of Nigerian airlines (e.g. Arik)... don't make me laugh. Arik has a red-carpet route from New York to Lagos and they manage to screw it up most of the time: never leaving on time, equipment issues galore. To give them more routes with little competition will only make them more complacent. And all the foreign exchange they earn will simply be used to buy fuel and parts abroad, and to maintain aircraft at foreign facilities. Profits will be used by the management to buy fancy houses, boats, and cars... abroad. Don't kid yourself.

Like someone else has mentioned and this is where I agree with you, we have a culture and pysche problem in this country. We do things the Nigerian way and things fail. This is an opportunity to sit up. Would you rather be held hostage to foreign airlines who will treat you like shit on their planes and then dump your country as soon as things are not favorable? I may have mentioned Arik but i am not saying Arik should be the only airline, what i mean is Nigeria should have more domination and market share over it's aviation industry.

1 Like

Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2016
vodutive:

Firstly, if you create a maintenance hub in Nigeria you will have to import input materials (spare parts) agreed but the upside is you earn forex, create highly skilled jobs (not ticket sales) from airlines in the west African subregion who will now come to Nigeria to maintain their aircraft, because you have created a previously non existent industry which is customarily deals in forex, just as many go to south Africa now...it's not like South Africa build planes but they have a developed aviation industry. You seem to be making the case for foreign airlines, I am making the case for the development of Nigeria. It is not in their interest to have a hub in Nigeria that is why their presence here is uttimately not in our interest because all they do is sell tickets and repartriate the foex, they don't contribute anything to the development of our economy. As for our culture that is indeed our problem, this slow down (if this government really had any clue) is an opportunity to realign the pysche of the country. As for forex, if you are earning forex yourself, you are not worried about the rate. There are Nigerians who earn in forex, ask them if they are bothered about N400 to $1? Air ghana or Air Togo will pay you in forex for maintenamce, the tickets you sell abroad will be in forex so you will find you have less demand for forex.

Like I said above, I agree and I didn't say they should, they are a business not a charity and this is why they do what is in their interest and not what is in the interest of Nigeria. The interests of Nigeria is best served by having a buoyant domestic airlines, owned by Nigerians and not loking to CBN for forex each time they sell a ticket. All these countries you talk about protect their economies and their jobs. Why do you think Africans can't export competitively agricultural products to Europe like Tomato? They give their farmers subsidies to the point that they have a glut and end up dumping them on us. They will talk about Africa growing through agriculture, you try exporting anything to Europe that they produce themselves and see how far you get. When you open up your market to foreigners you have to make sure they don't destroy your own industries. We are the mugus that allows free trade anyhow because we read it inside books that the oyinbo man wrote and end up destroying our own industries and jobs.

Like someone else has mentioned and this is where I agree with you, we have a culture and pysche problem in this country. We do things the Nigerian way and things fail. This is an opportunity to sit up. Would you rather be held hostage to foreign airlines who will treat you like shit on their planes and then dump your country as soon as things are not favorable? I may have mentioned Arik but i am not saying Arik should be the only airline, what i mean is Nigeria should have more domination and market share over it's aviation industry.
reinventing the wheel.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by nortcentrallord(m): 9:48pm On Aug 08, 2016
Ngenekwenu and co, resume duty asap.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Billygee2u: 12:45am On Aug 09, 2016
computerboy:
If you've been to the north, that's the way Nigeria will look like after Buhari have finished with you people. Next time you'll check where someone is coming from before voting him.

They have always been in power since independence yet they're the most undeveloped part of Nigeria
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by Nuesbab: 3:19am On Aug 09, 2016
Firefire:

Buhary promised to convert the presidential jets to National Carrier, almost 2 year after nothing has been done. Neither was the jets sold nor was it converted to commercial use as earlier promised. Unfortunately after accusing the last administration of waste of resources on the same crafts.

"According to calculations done from estimated data obtained from aviation parastatals and domestic airline operators in the country, President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration will have spent about $58.58m (N11.598bn) on running and maintaining the 10-aicraft presidential fleet by May 29 2016 when it turns one year in office. This means that the half of this amount, $29.29m (N5.799bn), is expected to have been spent in principle on the large fleet when the administration turned six months in office as of November 29 2015.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/25/presidential-jets-buhari-jonathans-part-wastage-ikhide-erasmus

Who can be more corrupt than Buhary? Moral corruption is same as financial corruption.

I think nigerians need to protest over this. Let's create hash tag, let it trend on all social media. And let force him do this
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by godox2(m): 2:37pm On Aug 09, 2016
Jirate:
14 already, and still counting. Sometimes, I wonder if we have a government in this country. cool

The three mentioned are the only ones.
Please mention the other eleven (11). I work in the industry.
No more oil and corruption where will politicians see money to patronize them?
This is the best Government in Nigerian history, since before politicians steal, they think twice.
Some (Metu O), are willing to return their loot, while others (Tompolo) are hiding and almighty (Dasuki) is in the NET.
Re: Forex: 14 Foreign Airlines Exit Nigerian Aviation Market by mikolo80: 9:32pm On Aug 10, 2016
MadeInTokyo:
Buhari is a bas-tard..quote me anywhere
We know his parents.
We don't know yours

And is even good sef
They should go
Useless airlines colluding to rip Nigerians off

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

23 Dead, 22 Injured As Truck Somersaults In Niger / The Three Historic And Iconic Female Concorde Pilots / Uk Visa Refused For Deception And Imposed 10 Year Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.