Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. (6767 Views)

Worsening Economy: If You Have Shame, You Will Shut Up, FG Replies Ekweremadu / Biafra : IPOB Threaten To Shut Down Lagos / TAN Shuts Down Lagos For Jonathan (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:28pm On Sep 23, 2009
There seems to be no going back on the earlier threat by aviation unions to paralyse flight operations across the nation’s airports over the controversial handover of the General Aviation Terminal (GAT) of the Murtala Muhammed Airport local wing at the weekend.

The President of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE),Safiyanu Dauda Mohammed, at a brief meeting with journalists, said the strike would commence at 12.00 midnight today.

The development is coming even as the Minister of Aviation, Mr. Babatunde Omotoba, went into a secret meeting with representatives of the unions at the NUATE secretariat on Tuesday.

At the meeting, which ended inconclusively, the minister was thoroughly tackled by the unions who expressed their anger over what they called the illegal handover of the local terminal to Bi-Courtney.

The unions, during the chat with the aviation journalists, disclosed that the company was not registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

According to the unions, no aircraft will be allowed to fly into and out of the country beginning from tomorrow as any aircraft that operates did so at its own peril.

To ensure that this is complied with, the unions said they had notified all their international affiliates including International Labour Organisation (ILO), International Association of Air Traffic Controllers, International Federation of Air Safety (IFAS) and all international airlines operating into the country.

Also, in a red alert circular sent round the airport on Tuesday, entitled ’Operation down tools, no work, the die is cast,’ the unions called on all FAAN workers and pensioners nationwide to assemble at GAT by 7:00 am.

The NUATE president, who predicted a bad situation from tomorrow, declared that the strike would be total as the airspace would be shut down, promising that there would be no compromise on the side of the unions.

At the end of the meeting, which was described by the unions as tough in view of the hot argument that ensued between them and the minister and the Managing Director of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Richard Aisuebeogun, the minister declined to talk to the press, saying: “I am not going to say anything” as he jumped into the blue jeep that brought him with the FAAN managing director and left the scene.

The minister, according to the unions, was said to have declared that his hands were tied over the matter.

The unions, though said they were not against transformation of the nation’s airports, said they opposed the decision of the Federal Government to hand over the control of the terminal to Bi-Courtney on the basis of a declaratory judgment.

Calling on Bi-Courtney to go back to the same court that gave it declaratory judgment to seek for executive judgment if it really wanted to take over the terminal, the unions accused the minister of acting a script by handing over the terminal to Bi-Courtney without following the rule of law.

“The situation will be too bad tomorrow; we are not going to compromise, we have informed all our international affiliates; the World Federation of Transport Unions and International Transport Federation, that no aircraft should fly into Nigerian airspace. Whoever refuses, does so at its own peril,” the NUATE president said on behalf of the other aviation unions.

At the end of the chat, the unions went back into another crucial meeting that will determine the strategies they will be employing, to make the strike succeed even as they promised to inform the media, the outcome of the meeting.

The unions have also been invited for a meeting with the presidency today, in Abuja over the issue.

It was, however, not certain if the unions will honour the invitation as an earlier meeting they were invited to in Abuja by the minister was rebuffed by the unions which forced the minister to come down to meet with them in Lagos on Tuesday.

Tribune 23rd September, 2009.

This country is nose diving seriously. It is like an aircraft without pilots. GOD HELP NIGERIA cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Gamine(f): 2:33am On Sep 24, 2009
This is horrible,
just horrible

I dont even know what to think.
and they are busying pursuing District 9
when their own district is on fire *smh*
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by naijamini(m): 3:36am On Sep 24, 2009
@Gamine

Not too frequent, but airport worker strikes occur in other places too, and not just developing countries.

My main concern here is whether it is within the purview of airport workers to say who manages the airport.

It seems peculiar with Nigerian worker strikes that with one mouth they complain about corruption/bad management of government run operations, then go on strike when private enterprises are called in to do the business they know how to do best. The moribound NITEL is the classic case of this phenomenon in Nigeria. We cannot have our cake and eat it too.

Thanks.

naijamini

Gamine:

This is horrible,
just horrible

I dont even know what to think.
and they are busying pursuing District 9
when their own district is on fire *smh*
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by SeanT21(f): 3:40am On Sep 24, 2009
Everyone is going on strike naaa.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Gamine(f): 3:41am On Sep 24, 2009
I know strikes go on. . .

Its affecting me directly now and im in pain  cry
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Kobojunkie: 3:53am On Sep 24, 2009
Gamine:

Its affecting me directly now and im in pain cry

Oh, so it was Ok for them to strike as long as it did not affect you directly na?? Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Gamine(f): 4:03am On Sep 24, 2009
Oh, so it was Ok for them to strike as long as it did not affect you directly na?? Roflmao!!!

its OK O, atleast some Strikes do bring about some good. cheesy cry
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by sbo(m): 7:01am On Sep 24, 2009
naijamini:

@Gamine

Not too frequent, but airport worker strikes occur in other places too, and not just developing countries.

My main concern here is whether it is within the purview of airport workers to say who manages the airport.

It seems peculiar with Nigerian worker strikes that with one mouth they complain about corruption/bad management of government run operations, then go on strike when private enterprises are called in to do the business they know how to do best. The moribound NITEL is the classic case of this phenomenon in Nigeria. We cannot have our cake and eat it too.

Thanks.

naijamini

I don't think that is issue. The question we need to ask is? Did the PPP Agreement between the FG and Bi-courtney follow due process? Did the govt carry along FAAN workers during the contract negotiation process? What was the communication between the govt and Union was the idea of Concession was mooted?

Below is my blogpost on this issue.

On Bi-Courtney, FAAN, MMA2 and GAT Brouhaha

As we know, in 2003 the Obasanjo regime signed a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) Public-Private Partnership (PPP) contract with Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited (BASL) for the construction of the second terminal at Murtala Mohammed Airport (MM2). The new airport terminal was opened in 2007. However following the approval of the PPP agreement, the status of the General Aviation Terminal (GAT) – whether or not it’s part of the agreement - has been subject of controversy. But after years of argy bargy and legal fireworks, the FG finally handed over the General Aviation Terminal of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport to BASL.

Stakeholders in the Aviation industry have expressed their concern on the government decision. According to the National Union of Air Transport and Engineers (NUATE), the handover of the terminal by the FG to BASL was undertaken without regard for “rule of law” and “due process”. In protest, the Union threatened to shut down the terminal, noting that the handover will inevitably result in job losses. In the same vein, Arik Air through its Counsel Chief Assam E. Assam, told newsmen that the airline – who operates 50% of domestic flights in Nigeria - might stop operation because it could not operate in any facility that is “under the control and monopolistic management of Bi-Courtney Aviation Services”. FAAN on its part is had held the position that GAT was not part of the property given to Bi-Courtney in the PPP agreement it has with the organization and had sided Arik Air in the struggle to retain GAT as FAAN entity as it has been the major source of revenue to the agency. According to FAAN, the handover of the GAT would result in about 40% shortfall in revenue for FAAN.

Based on the foregoing, it is evident that all is not well with the MMA2 PPP Agreement. I have always expressed my concerns about how PPP contracts are negotiated in Nigeria. I have specifically queried the purpose of the exclusivity clause in the MMA2 PPP Agreement –which is also been contested by FAAN, - that prohibits development of an airport in Lagos for 36 years. Many have disagreed with my viewpoint on this issue. Some have argued that it is in the “commercial interest” of BASL to have such a clause (i.e protect its investment). Some even insinuated that I have a personal grouse with BASL. Firstly, l will state categorically that I do not have any personal issue with BASL. I respect and appreciate BASL position as a commercial entity that is looking to maximise its opportunities and protect its financial investment. And if I were in their shoes, I would probably be seeking the inclusion of such a clause, if not more. However, my criticism is directed to the government for their ignorance and short-sightedness in agreeing to such a clause. The inclusion of such a clause in contractual agreement does not encourage competition. It only creates a private monopoly, and does not offer consumers “value for money”. The role of the government is to make sure that public interest in protected in signing such contracts. The clause also does not offer any incentive for BASL to be innovative. With guaranteed income for 36 years and no other competing airport, passengers and airline operators can be expected to be at the mercy of BASL.

Also, such a clause makes mockery of the government so-called Vision 2020. How can nation that intends to be one of the world’s top 20 economies prohibit airport development for 36 years? How can an aspiring G20 nation prohibit airport development in a city predicted to emerge as the third largest city in the world with a population over 20 million people by 2015? Whatever anyone thinks, I’m of the view that this sort of arrangement cannot be right.

In terms of the GAT handover and threats from Arik Air and NUATE, there are few questions which need to be answered by the FG. FAAN denied that GAT was part of the PPP contract, and its handover means loss of revenue. My question is, as a major stakeholder, what was the role of FAAN in the contract negotiation? Was the decision to concession GAT as part of the MMA2 contract taken unilaterally by the FG without following due process? Who were the government advisers on the contract? Arik Air also threatened to halt its operations. But since the PPP agreement predates the commencement of Air Arik operations, was Arik Air not advised of the PPP agreement and imminent transfer to BASL? As for NUATE, did the FG consult with the Union during the contract negotiation?

Whatever be the case, there are important lessons to be learnt from the MMA2 Agreement. One of the keys to success of any PPP is “communication”. It is inevitable that more people will be affected by a partnership than just the public officials and the private-sector partner. Affected employees, the portions of the public receiving the service, the press, appropriate labour unions and relevant interest groups will all have opinions, and frequently significant misconceptions about a partnership and its value to all the public. It is therefore important to communicate openly and candidly with these stakeholders to minimize potential resistance to establishing a partnership. If the FG has taken its time to educate all stakeholders, then the reported protest by Union wouldn’t arise. Also, there would not be the need for the threats from Arik Air.

The government should also implement mechanisms that will guarantee transparency at all stages in the tendering process. These mechanisms must include setting procurement specifications, open public hearings for major government contracts, and the final selection of contractors; and Involvement independent agencies to oversee the bidding process. Unfortunately most of the PPP contracts in Nigeria are announced on the front pages of newspapers. The process of awarding these contracts is shrouded in secrecy. A classic example is the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway N89billion concession contract. Up till now, the public is yet to be advised of the process that led to the selection of Bi-Courtney Ltd. Where was the tender for the procurement advertised? How many companies bidded for the contract?

Interestingly, the notion of public-private partnership has been touted in some government circles as a magic formula that will fix the country’s infrastructure blockages. The complexity of PPP contracts and the high costs involved means care should be taken in the way it is approached. PPPs are not a panacea for development. The principles that underlie successful PPPs are affordability, cost effectiveness, value for money, transparency and risk management.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Jakumo(m): 7:13am On Sep 24, 2009
Volunteer pilots should be selected from outgoing passengers if the real pilots are too chicken to take to the air because of this strike.

Here are some pointers.  Fire up the engines, advance the throttles and steer with your feet while looking out for renegade goats and cows on the runway as you build up speed.  When you start to hear your passengers screaming for Jesus intervention, you have attained takeoff speed, and must then pull the control column backward so that you do not damage Baba Augustina's water-yam crop at the end of the runway.

Once in the air, dial 0803-999-0419 on your handset, for directions to your destination from Mallam Nocredit Gaskiya, the suya seller whose stand lies adjascent to the arrival runway at Abuja airport.  Remember to carefully monitor the shrieks of your passengers, for that will indicate how close to the ground you are in your final approach for landing.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by blacksta(m): 7:26am On Sep 24, 2009
"A Clause that prohibits Airport Developement for 36 years" Wonders shall never end

Nigeria is truly a great Nation
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Kobojunkie: 7:37am On Sep 24, 2009
I don't think that is issue. The question we need to ask is? Did the PPP Agreement between the FG and Bi-courtney follow due process? Did the govt carry along FAAN workers during the contract negotiation process? What was the communication between the govt and Union was the idea of Concession was mooted?

These are the questions that need to be asked and investigated.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by asha80(m): 7:47am On Sep 24, 2009
Poster abeg next!!!
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Enjoyment1(f): 10:48am On Sep 24, 2009
In Nigeria, we always think with our hands and when there is problem, we now look for those with heads to resolve the matter. When it is not resolved, what do we get, STRIKE!. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by naijamini(m): 3:18pm On Sep 24, 2009
@sbo
I agree with most of your points, especially the statement:

"The government should also implement mechanisms that will guarantee transparency at all stages in the tendering process. These mechanisms must include setting procurement specifications, open public hearings for major government contracts, and the final selection of contractors; and Involvement independent agencies to oversee the bidding process. Unfortunately most of the PPP contracts in Nigeria are announced on the front pages of newspapers. The process of awarding these contracts is shrouded in secrecy. A classic example is the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway N89billion concession contract. Up till now, the public is yet to be advised of the process that led to the selection of Bi-Courtney Ltd. Where was the tender for the procurement advertised? How many companies bidded for the contract?"

However, the attitude of seeing any type of privatization as "selling our assets" is so rampant with Nigerian workers that I am not sure the legitimate concerns you stated above are the underlying reason for the strike. I often find myself musing that we don't know what our government is doing - particularly when you see how the American President is challenged to explain his decisions each and everyday. This is especially ironic since Nigeria is one of the remaining countries that maintain a full "Information Ministry" and governments continue to control radio and television houses. Yet they refuse to pass a FOI bill.

Don't get me wrong I think the impact on workers must be adequately addressed, and an agreement that freezes any airport development for 36 years is not only monopolistic, it is downright thievery, but capitalist will look for a monopoly whenever possible. The government officials in charge of that agreement probably did not read the documents, nor cared, as long as their already greasy palms are well oiled.

Now they are waiting for the President to be involved in this issue! Amazing. We think statically and run a country of 150 million like a small town.

naijamini

@
sbo:

Below is my blogpost on this issue.

Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by bawomolo(m): 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2009
Gamine:

Its affecting me directly now and im in pain  cry

I guess you won't be bothered if it didn't affect you right?
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by sbo(m): 8:34am On Sep 25, 2009
naijamini:

@sbo
I agree with most of your points, especially the statement:

"The government should also implement mechanisms that will guarantee transparency at all stages in the tendering process. These mechanisms must include setting procurement specifications, open public hearings for major government contracts, and the final selection of contractors; and Involvement independent agencies to oversee the bidding process. Unfortunately most of the PPP contracts in Nigeria are announced on the front pages of newspapers. The process of awarding these contracts is shrouded in secrecy. A classic example is the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway N89billion concession contract. Up till now, the public is yet to be advised of the process that led to the selection of Bi-Courtney Ltd. Where was the tender for the procurement advertised? How many companies bidded for the contract?"

However, the attitude of seeing any type of privatization as "selling our assets" is so rampant with Nigerian workers that I am not sure the legitimate concerns you stated above are the underlying reason for the strike. I often find myself musing that we don't know what our government is doing - particularly when you see how the American President is challenged to explain his decisions each and everyday. This is especially ironic since Nigeria is one of the remaining countries that maintain a full "Information Ministry" and governments continue to control radio and television houses. Yet they refuse to pass a FOI bill.

Don't get me wrong I think the impact on workers must be adequately addressed, and an agreement that freezes any airport development for 36 years is not only monopolistic, it is downright thievery, but capitalist will look for a monopoly whenever possible. The government officials in charge of that agreement probably did not read the documents, nor cared, as long as their already greasy palms are well oiled.

Now they are waiting for the President to be involved in this issue! Amazing. We think statically and run a country of 150 million like a small town.

naijamini

@

@Naijamini, you are right. Privitisation is always seen as "selling our assets", even in the developed world. The main concern of the union is potential job losses. You will agree with me that job losses is inevitable after privatisation, as any investor will be looking to cut its overhead as much as possible. However, this is something that should have been resolved prior to the execution of the PPP agreement. The future of the staff should have been resolved. Those that will be made redundant should have known. And that's why I made the point that "communication" is the key. I'm really interested to know who advised the govt on the deal. The agreement must have been drafted by Bi-Courtney.

I'm keen to see how the President will act on this matter
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by KunleOshob(m): 8:54am On Sep 25, 2009
I think the workers are more concerned that all the loop holes that exist in goverment managed instituitions that they use to embezzle money would be blocked. This is why they are not satisfied with the assurances that their jobs are still secure and they would be retained by bi-courtney.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by sbo(m): 10:04am On Sep 25, 2009
In another of the mind-boggling manipulation and corruption stories involving the Attorney General, Saharareporters has found his hand in the controversial handover of the General Aviation Terminal (GAT) of the Murtala Mohammed Airport in Lagos.

Mr. Aondoakaa, our impeccable source revealed, took huge bribe money from Mr. Wale Babalakin, the chairman of Bi -Courtney, the company now reputed for building sub-standard structures. Aondoakaa had worked with Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited to grant the company a 36-year concession to run the domestic wing of the Murtala Mohammed Airport".

During the Obasanjo's administration, Babalakin got Femi Fani Kayode to recommend that his lease on the airport be extended from 12 years to 36 years, but that proposal was rejected.

In came Aondoakaa, who, after receiving N400 million from Babalakin, got Bi-Courtney to sue his office for breach of contract after claiming that it had the right to manage both the MMA2 and the GAT for 36 years starting from April 2004. Curiously, Bi-Courtney did not include the Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) in the lawsuit. That strategy was deliberate. FAAN would have contested the lawsuit, but Aondoakaa's refused to diligently defend his office when put on notice about the suit.

Bi-Courtney then obtained a court judgement allowing it to forcefully take over GAT in a secret ceremony that had the airport workers protesting. The worker’s protests have so far yielded some positive results, as the office of the National Security Adviser has intervened and suspended the Bi-Courtney agreement until Yar'adua returns from his sick bed in Saudi Arabia.

Only last week, the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders (CACOL), an umbrella body made up of 35 organizations fighting corruption in the country, joined the growing nationwide clamour for Aondoakaa to be relieved of his position. In a letter to Yar’Adua, it said CACOL had found the Attorney General “to be roguish, corruptible, insensitive and incompetent either as a Minister in any Ministry or (as) the Attorney-General.”

The letter was copied to the President of the Senate; the Speaker of the House of Representatives; the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation (the position Aondoakaa officially occupies); the Chairman of the National Judicial Commission; and the President of the Nigerian Bar Association.

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3788:how-aondoakaa-sold-murtala-mohammed-airport-to-wale-babalakins-bi-courtney-&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 25, 2009
This sahara reporters are always talking rubbish and spreading daft rumours angry angry angry
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by mustafar1: 12:43pm On Sep 25, 2009
when i talk before say anytime i see PPP mentioned in anything, the first thot that comes to mind be say na there all the juicy bits of the contract dey. once people hear PPP they just forget all the pork present in the contract abi is the 36year clause not pork that servicing a few heads?
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by KunleOshob(m): 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2009
If you guys only knew how much bi-courtney is loosing based on the federal goverment not keeping their part of the concession agreement which includes GAT you would be sorry for them. Personally i think Wale Babalakin is a National hero and his likes should be encouraged to move this country forward. How do we expect to develop as a country if we go out of our way to destroy those who are striving to make it great. His mma2 terminal is a pride to this country unlike the ramshackled embarrasment called airport terminals that we have all over this country. It is clear that goverment needs private sector participation to develop infrastructure in this country it would not do us anygood to bring down those who have pioneered, taken huge risks, sunk in their capital and borrowed heavily to develop our infrastructure.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 25, 2009
So where is YAR A DOOFUS going to land when he finally returns from his University trip to Saudi Arabia?
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by asha80(m): 1:32pm On Sep 25, 2009
OMO IBO:

So where is YAR A DOOFUS going to land when he finally returns from his University trip to Saudi Arabia?

Parachute option is there.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by AjanleKoko: 1:32pm On Sep 25, 2009
The strike is actually one that is well justified, and is one that we should get behind, if we're serious about changing things.
An anomaly that prohibits the development of airport facilities, or limits participation in the sector, needs to be corrected.
Let's hope that Nigerians will be brave enough to see this one through, rather than scream at the 'madmen' in the union for having the effrontery to go on strike and damage their travel plans.
The same way everyone is screaming for ASUU to go back to work.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by dreamman02: 1:42pm On Sep 25, 2009
empty threats.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by okeey(m): 2:20pm On Sep 25, 2009
na whaa 4 naija
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by StEdwin(m): 2:40pm On Sep 25, 2009
What is Yar Adua doing? Why is strike now the order of the day? ASUU? Doctors?
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by sbo(m): 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

If you guys only knew how much bi-courtney is loosing based on the federal goverment not keeping their part of the concession agreement which includes GAT you would be sorry for them. Personally i think Wale Babalakin is a National hero and his likes should be encouraged to move this country forward. How do we expect to develop as a country if we go out of our way to destroy those who are striving to make it great. His mma2 terminal is a pride to this country unlike the ramshackled embarrasment called airport terminals that we have all over this country. It is clear that goverment needs private sector participation to develop infrastructure in this country it would not do us anygood to bring down those who have pioneered, taken huge risks, sunk in their capital and borrowed heavily to develop our infrastructure.

@KunleOshob, I don't think anyone is trying to pull down Wale Babalakin. There is no doubt that the govt needs private sector participation in infrastructure development. But the fact remains that these so-called PPP contracts should be done properly. The govt should adhere to principles of transparency and probity when negotiating PPP agreements. Industry stakeholders should also be carried along. And most importnantly, protection of public interest should be paramount. PPP should never be used to create private monopoly.

Situation where award of multi-billion naira is PPP contract are only announced in front pages of newspapers is unacceptable. The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway PPP (also Bi-Courtney) is a typical example. All we heard was that the FEC has approved the contract. The contrct was worth N89billion, but we were never told how many companies bidded for the contract. What was the criteria used in selecting Bi-Courtney? What is Bi-Courtney track in road tolling projects? How can we be sure that the govt is "receiving value for money"? Did the government undertake the "public sector comparison" for the same project? And again, why toll a road with no alternative? Why not ask the private sector to build a bypass and toll accordingly?

For me, I have studied all the PPP contracts signed in Nigeria both state and federal and I'm afraid PPP has been used to legitimise corruption.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Rooneyboy(m): 3:11pm On Sep 25, 2009
YaraDULLARD, what is he really doing with all this strikes springing up 4m all corners? Seems to be worse than OBJ u know.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Rooneyboy(m): 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2009
No complains, i kinda suspect that this is part of the process the leaders of the nation wanna follow in their re-BRANDING campaign.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Rooneyboy(m): 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2009
No complains, i kinda suspect that this is part of the process the leaders of the nation wanna follow in their re-BRANDING campaign.
Re: We Will Shut Down Lagos Airport From 12:00am - Airport Workers. by Rooneyboy(m): 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2009
No complains, i kinda suspect that this is part of the process the leaders of the nation wanna follow in their re-BRANDING campaign. (GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BRT Bus Falls Off Third-Mainland Bridge (Fully Loaded) / Awka Continues To Attract More Businesses As Multi Million Roban Malls Opens! / EFCC Arraigns Katsina Permanent Secretary For N2.5m Fertiliser Contract Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.