Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,337 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! (4670 Views)

Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain,liver,kidneys And Heart / FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware / Do You Know That Left Over Onions Are Poisonous? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 1:02am On Sep 24, 2009
Apple is now a contaminated fruit to eat! shocked shocked all the ones imported into the country currently are contaminated and have been killing people. the statistics is nation wide and increasing. This message is from nafdac. its not a rumour. embarassed
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Gamine(f): 1:10am On Sep 24, 2009
Where is your source dude
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 1:25am On Sep 24, 2009
i got the warning message from an educated 50 yr who does not prank around. he got it from some DR.Wada-nisa hosp. you'll hear more bout it soon im sure.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Gamine(f): 1:28am On Sep 24, 2009
i hope, cos my Dad was planning to buy a bunch of ''em

How do i convince him, its true. .esp when one cant send these things.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Sissy3(f): 1:52am On Sep 24, 2009
xothermik:

Apple is now a contaminated fruit to eat! shocked shocked all the ones imported into the country currently are contaminated and have been killing people. the statistics is nation wide and increasing. This message is from nafdac. its not a rumour. embarassed

xothermik:

i got the warning message from an educated 50 yr who does not prank around. he got it from some DR.Wada-nisa hosp. you'll hear more bout it soon im sure.

get your facts right jor.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 2:31am On Sep 24, 2009
gobble on snow white! tongue
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Gamine(f): 2:38am On Sep 24, 2009
Dude be serious o jare
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by aieromon(m): 8:46am On Sep 24, 2009
I heard this gist on tuesday.how come it has still not made headline news?[color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by esduny: 11:01am On Sep 24, 2009
also heard it from a matron in a General Hospital, she said many victims have been rushed to their hospital.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by manmustwac(m): 11:10am On Sep 24, 2009
so it must be true then. But we need a link or do dozens have to die first.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Zabu(m): 12:17pm On Sep 24, 2009
I got through to a staff of NAFDAC in Abuja, who contacted some of his superiors to find out the truth; he said NAFDAC has not received any such information, but that they would find out.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by keshova200: 12:32pm On Sep 24, 2009
The story was forwarded to me too, but i dont think its true. i have not heard about anybody dead over eating apples, the only unfortunate thing is that i forwarded the message to couple of my friends due to panic, i think its a rumour but i guess everybody should wash their fruits before eating though, its quite important
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Zabu(m): 1:23pm On Sep 24, 2009
Well the story might be true after all. A Pastor called me a couple of minutes ago telling me that a member of his church and a Director from NAFDAC in Lagos called him to warn him to stay clear from apple fruits for now due to discovery of poisonous apples recently imported into the country. I think they don't want to go official until investigations are complete.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by NaijaEcash(m): 1:29pm On Sep 24, 2009
I got same message and I googled to check the authenticity but got nothing other than medical practitioners claiming they are yet to get a case of someone getting poisoned through apple. It seems to be a rumour after all. Nobody has been able to confirm the claim that "several dead"  shocked
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by DisGuy: 9:06pm On Sep 24, 2009
The attention of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has been drawn to the strange GSM text messages being circulated in the country on speculated poisonous killer apples.

NAFDAC hereby categorically dissociates itself from the rumor and scare as no official of the Agency has made any statement on the presence of poisonous killer apples.

The Agency is deeply concerned about the grave consequences of the speculated killer apples and has immediately directed all NAFDAC offices across the country to investigate the authenticity of the rumor.

The general public is however advised to be alert and report to the nearest NAFDAC office any genuine case of unwholesome apples and other substandard regulated products.

Meanwhile, NAFDAC has taken samples of apples from various markets and retail outlets for laboratory analysis.

http://www.nafdac.gov.ng/index.php

http://www.nafdac.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96:public-alert-notice&catid=46:recalls&Itemid=74
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by DisGuy: 9:07pm On Sep 24, 2009
Furthermore, the public is hereby informed that NAFDAC, at least for, now, issues public alert via radio, TV and print media and not by text messages.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by rasputinn(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2009
Yesterday when I started getting the text messages,I just laughed at the gullible people that fell for that prank,could you believe some people were so into it that my own wife who lives in the same home with me actually forwarded it to me  shocked shocked shocked,well for all I care,the rumour must have originated from the marketing department of one of the telcos,do you know how many smss were sent yesterday pertaining to this false story about apples,I'm sure the marketing guys have got their pay raise at the expense of their gullible subscribers

Anyway,to re-inforce my conviction that it was all false,as soon as I got back home yesterday,I went straight to the fruit bowl,got me a fresh apple and munched away,my wife was confused
  grin grin grin
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by k4kenny(f): 5:04pm On Sep 25, 2009
@Rasputin

you have a point there, imagine how many thousands text messages were esnt over this matter. i'm sure the orange and bananna sellers are also counting their blessings profits grin grin cheesy
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 10:21pm On Sep 25, 2009
what! you mean no dead people? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! cry. you guys want me to eat my post ba! thot i had a breakin news. felt like christian amanpour for a sec there. well i will buy a truck of apples and inject it with rat poison and distribute it to all the geopolitical zones of the country just to be right lol!
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Cristalz(f): 12:40pm On Sep 26, 2009
I just ate 6 delicious green apples. . .feel fine. grin
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 11:00pm On Sep 26, 2009
@cristalz ok its now been discovered that it causes infertility grin
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Gamine(f): 12:04am On Sep 27, 2009
@poster

you are just a nonsense alarmist
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 12:12am On Sep 27, 2009
well thats just your own opinion really. indeed i was alarmed when i got the message and thot was doing the humane thing to warn as many as i can. nothing says i cant see the humorous side of it after it appeared to be a hoax.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Gamine(f): 12:20am On Sep 27, 2009
sharrap jo
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 12:22am On Sep 27, 2009
gawd are u tense. tongue rough childhood?
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Gamine(f): 12:25am On Sep 27, 2009
very rough indeed

i can clearly see your talent now
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by xothermik(m): 12:26am On Sep 27, 2009
likewise
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by DisGuy: 12:01pm On Sep 28, 2009
APPLE Sellers demonstrate in Lagos by eating Apple - AIT

where are apples imported from? The main problem is with our weather Apples should have a sell by date
else they'll rot within 3-5 days when exposed
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by Dclique(m): 2:20pm On Sep 28, 2009
They endanger their own health. Just to make profit.
Na wa o.
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by DisGuy: 2:24pm On Sep 28, 2009
Just to make profit? there's nothing wrong with their apples i suppose- they have nothing to fear

Its either the communication companies making a killing or the banana, orange, pineapple sellers were jealous! grin

how much do they sell apples?
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by bonnez(m): 2:43pm On Sep 28, 2009
NAFDAC has issued a press release denying allegations that its behind the rumours. but the agency says its investigating the possibility. so i'd say hold on till they speak
Re: Apples In Nigeria Are Now Poisonous To Eat. Several Dead! by dominique(f): 4:09pm On Sep 28, 2009
methinks it was a conspiracy between the telecoms companies and the orange, banana and pineapple sellers to put apple out of ciruculation. . . never believed that rumour for a second cheesy tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Thoughts On The Use Of Herbal Drugs / HOW TO CURE STAPHYLOCOCCUS/STDs WITH PRJ WITHOUT SPENDING A DIME / Eye glasses vs contact lens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.