Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! (30627 Views)

Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House / My Fiancée Had An Incest Relationship With Her Cousin Years Back, I'm Devastated / Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 09, 2016
Hey guys...I just popped the question and she said yes!!. Now her family is inviting me over for lunch this weekend. Please any useful tips? On style, dressing or composure? I hope I don't get nervous.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by oluwafreshkid(m): 5:08pm On Aug 09, 2016
cheesy you defied the odds of this buhari economy and popped the question. Big ups man!

Go traditional. You can never go wrong in white, add a blue cap.

Composure? You should be used to a part of her family already na, be it siblings or mother.
Don't famz the dad o, cos he ain't happy that you're nacking his daughter.

Don't wear matching outfits with ur fiancee. No gallas or any funy haircuts. And don't do touch touch, we are Africans ooo.

Don't talk politics ooo... the father maybe APC. Lol.

Be confident, sharp and clean. Be matured.

421 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by ojun50(m): 5:13pm On Aug 09, 2016
Dress cooperate and relax yr mind don't talk too much, expect alot of questions nd be careful on hw u answer them.

Lastly go with wine, fruits and bread if u hv others tins in mind u can add to it

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Godmother(f): 5:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
ojun50:
Dress cooperate and relax yr mind don't talk too much, expect alot of questions nd be careful on hw u answer them.

Lastly go with wine, fruits and bread if u hv others tins in mind u can add to it

Well said.

Op you can also put on native as it has a way of making people look respectable and decent.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by ojun50(m): 5:22pm On Aug 09, 2016
Godmother:

Well said.

Op you can also put on native as it has a way of making people look respectable and decent.

thanks dear
i did my 2month ago nd it went well infact her father shake up to 4 times befor i leave.

Now i they gather money for marriage next year.

I wish u success op

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
Thanks guys for your warm comments! I hope all goes well o.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 09, 2016
Aww, congrats on popping the question.

Dress well. Whether you want to wear suit and tie, or a native attire, is up to you. You and your fiancée can decide which one would best fit the occasion. Be respectful to her parents, as I'm sure you will be :}. If you can buy something simple for them, do so. It's a nice gesture, and it shows you're thoughtful and giving. Relax and smile often. I'm sure it would go smoothly. Good luck!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 09, 2016
Yieldings:
Aww, congrats on popping the question.

Dress well. Whether you want to wear suit and tie, or a native attire, is up to you. You and your fiancée can decide which one would best fit the occasion. Be respectful to her parents, as I'm sure you will be :}. If you can buy something simple for them, do so. It's a nice gesture, and it shows you're thoughtful and giving. Relax and smile often. I'm sure it would go smoothly. Good luck!

What do you think I can buy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by CoCoLav(f): 7:03pm On Aug 09, 2016
Obie, is this the girl you met in April as referenced in your earlier post? Is this also the girl your parents do not like? Are you planning on marrying her just within 4 months of dating her?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 09, 2016
More suggestions pls
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2016
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2016
@cocoluv ur deviating the topic. I need suggestions. This is a new phase

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Titilayooni(f): 8:43pm On Aug 10, 2016
ojun50:

if I may ask,for a lady visiting her fiance's parents for the first time...what are the tips?

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by ojun50(m): 8:51pm On Aug 10, 2016
Titilayooni:
if I may ask,for a lady visiting her fiance's parents for the first time...what are the tips?

well she should dress decent, simple make up and some gift along like fruit, she should relax her self wen she get there nd she should expect questions too
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Titilayooni(f): 9:09pm On Aug 10, 2016
ojun50:

well she should dress decent, simple make up and some gift along like fruit, she should relax her self wen she get there nd she should expect questions too
Thanks
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by ojun50(m): 9:11pm On Aug 10, 2016
Titilayooni:
Thanks

wlc
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nyceguy92: 11:35pm On Aug 10, 2016
Do not overdress to over impress..
I think dressing in suit is an overkill.

Put on neat regular shirt and trousers, or some simple but well sewn native wear.
One area of importance is your interaction - in the living room or at the dinning table.

Since the girl has said "Yes," chances are her parents won't say "No," so that should give you some measure of confidence.
Expected questions will be:
Where do you come from?
How about your parents?
School......?
Work.......?
Siblings....?

Otherwise, follow up as the mom, dad, or siblings raise the topics.
You may "lead" the dad to talk more on his growing up and business; this will fill the time and take the pressure off your neck.

As for gifts, don't forget a bottle of good wine and/or brandy - whichever her parents consume.
Also something the family consumes on regular basis - eg., beverages and bread - can be added.
You need to leave a mark when you are gone, so something the parents will stumble on around the house that reminds them of you will be fine.

This will be my classic approach if I were you.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by general111(m): 7:01am On Aug 11, 2016
Don't you just love this family section...keep the advice coming people.I will be getting married soon.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Exponental(m): 7:02am On Aug 11, 2016
Just be yourself.
Not about what you wear, tips or any clue can make you the real you. They could make you a pretender. Just be natural. your fiancee is in a better position to groom you with her family taste.
Best of luck and wishing you happiness in your union.

7 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by ValereeE: 8:41am On Aug 11, 2016
Congratulations dear, nothing to say

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by George22016(m): 8:58am On Aug 11, 2016
some girls are still busy editing pictures while their mates are getting married every Saturday.NA bridesmaid BR their career last last.
@op I was like Awww you be man.still going on my courtship so as to study and know the bae I day date

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by VocalWalls: 5:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
Just man up.. No go dey wear suit.

A Jean and a shirt is just ideal, don't go all in for being a gentleman, be more of a homely guy.

No touching, no excessive perfumes, wear something that won't contribute to making you sweat... You probably will.

Talk less, listen more. Make her dad feel like the wisest man on earth, look deeply into his eyes (the guy code) when he's talking to you, but don't go on nodding like an agama, he may be fooling you to know if you're stupid

Some Indoor Plants With Amazing Home Scents

Top questions they'd ask are:

Do you work, where, do you like it? (Protip: Don't meet the parents if you're unemployed.)

Where did you two meet? (Mom may ask)

Do you have any siblings?

If something you do triggers a red flag, questions could get more intense:

Well, what are your feelings on :controversial topic (maybe Buhari's issues) : (If you are afraid to answer, try a neutral: You are interested in learning more, can they please enlighten you?)

The killer phrase:

Tell papa you're interested in something he talked about, and you'll love to learn more on another date... He'll start growing fond of you.

THESE HOME TIPS COULD HELP YOU

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
Going to the Family is all about one thing, Intimidating them with your wealth.

It could be financial or intellectual just leave a lasting Image.

14 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by veekid(m): 5:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
Don't forget to take a bit of osogbo weed before going

5 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Sexytemi(f): 5:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
Just be yourself and be Very composed n truthful.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by diva90: 5:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
Just dress well and be yourself. No matter how you pretend they will still get to know who you truly are years from now if you eventually marry their daughter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by soberdrunk(m): 5:39pm On Aug 11, 2016
One and half bottle of cold gulder and you will be fine........ grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by AlphaCentauri: 5:39pm On Aug 11, 2016
wear clean underwear incase you faint and paramedics have to strip you naked for fresh air. you dont want ya inlaws seeing dat ya dirty underwear with plenty holes and skid marks

61 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by myners007: 5:39pm On Aug 11, 2016
package urself
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by DozieInc(m): 5:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by fpeter(f): 5:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
Guy no be interview, just go there with a good shirt and nice trousers
compose yourself very well, visit the barber and remember to go with some
bottles of NON Alcoholic drinks. Your perfume should be mild and gentle wink

3 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2016
Be yourself, drink beer if offered,smoke weed (if offered), take your id card along sha.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Younger Brother Is Gay / 6 Arguments All Married Couples Have / How I Nearly Killed My Aunt Last Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.