Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table (24528 Views)

Hilarious Faces Of Divers At The Rio 2016 Olympics In Brazil / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics / Rio 2016: Egyptians Wear Hijab While Playing Volleyball With Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2016
Kenya and Ethiopia are still warming up...... They will surely overtake SA
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by bittertruthz: 2:15pm On Aug 10, 2016
rummeh:

Rio 2016 Olympics medal standings United states tops the chart, As south Africa remains the only African team on the Table.
Nigeria is MIA missing in Action grin grin grin grin

OP. you are a liar. Your update is wrong. I learnt from BBC that a Thailand military officer won 2 medals. In fact i was discussing it with a friend why our military officers are lazy.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by rummeh: 2:45pm On Aug 10, 2016
bittertruthz:

OP. you are a liar. Your update is wrong. I learnt from BBC that a Thailand military officer won 2 medals. In fact i was discussing it with a friend why our military officers are lazy.

So whats your point

How e take concern Nigeria and Africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by bittertruthz: 2:55pm On Aug 10, 2016
rummeh:

So whats your point

How e take concern Nigeria and Africa

E concern Nigeria because our military are not fit. Lazy fat stomach ...................... So USA and CHINA are in Africa too?
He should have posted the full medal table. Stop looking for excuse. You can't quote me wrong because im more intelligent than you.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by bayinq25(m): 4:10pm On Aug 10, 2016
richidinho:

I tot u people promised change
U need not compare urself with jonathan govt even after spending 6months to appoint a goat head as minister for sports
well I've never supported any party in my entire life I'm just one of the few who believe in the simple math which is APC =PDP, our problem isn't party it's leadership.

1 Like

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Rekyz(m): 4:41pm On Aug 10, 2016
Emmatdayo:
oga read what i wrote again b4 u quote me, did we win any Olympic medal during the GEJ administration?
We won in Beijing. Or was that part of Bubu's tenure?
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Gerrard59(m): 4:49pm On Aug 10, 2016
Onegai:
Fatherly, a U.S. group supporting fathers, posted a video titled "2032 Olympic Athletes". See babies and toddlers doing every sport imaginable and being trained and supported by their parents before the Govt gets involved. But Nigerians are waiting for Govt to come and enter their house, pluck their son and daughter and make them Tennis stars and Gymnasts, etc. Clap for yasef, una go wait tire. Govt of mediocrity for people who worship mediocrity.

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1027365630649912&id=348596051860210&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FFatherlyHQ%2Fvideos%2F1027365630649912%2F&_rdr

http://m.wptz.com/news/meet-the-2032-olympic-team/41104422

The baby playing Table Tennis is not up to 10 months, because he couldn't stand up, but he was already knocking back more than half the balls served at him. The gymnast was not over 3 years of age. The swimmer is like 1.5 years, cannot pass 2 years old. And that little boxer?? Sweet Lord, that kid has talent.

This summer, what has your child done??

Good day Ms Onegai,

Firstly, the problem might not be what parents have done for their child(ren), issue is where are facilities? Not everyone is in Lagos or Abuja. My younger sister is on vacation, and unfortunately, here in Uyo there are no facilities for such talents to be groomed (that I know of, we've been here for 6 years). She has interest in long jump, question is where is/are the facility(ies); that's safe and clean?

Secondly, like in Asian countries (Singapore, China, S.Korea), parents (Tiger moms) send their kids to holiday classes to learn and develop their self for the upcoming intellectual challenge. Ditto in Nigeria nay SSA, our environment has not appreciated such talents (not football), so please tell me why wouldn't parents send their kids for holiday classes instead of gymnastic, tennis lessons? When getting the best jobs is ultra-competitive.

Even me sef will prefer her to work in BCG as opposed to long jumping grin
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Emmatdayo(m): 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2016
Rekyz:
We won in Beijing. Or was that part of Bubu's tenure?

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Onegai(f): 5:12pm On Aug 10, 2016
Gerrard59:

Good day Ms Onegai,

Firstly, the problem might not be what parents have done for their child(ren), issue is where are facilities? Not everyone is in Lagos or Abuja. My younger sister is on vacation, and unfortunately, here in Uyo there are no facilities for such talents to be groomed (that I know of, we've been here for 6 years). She has interest in long jump, question is where is/are the facility(ies); that's safe and clean?

Secondly, like in Asian countries (Singapore, China, S.Korea), parents (Tiger moms) send their kids to holiday classes to learn and develop their self for the upcoming intellectual challenge. Ditto in Nigeria nay SSA, our environment has not appreciated such talents (not football), so please tell me why wouldn't parents send their kids for holiday classes instead of gymnastic, tennis lessons? When getting the best jobs is ultra-competitive.

Even me sef will prefer her to work in BCG as opposed to long jumping grin

So, I did a quick Google search and I found a recently completed stadium, Akwa Ibom stadium. What has stopped you from taking her there to have a look. I'm not a sports person but I know that wherever a stadium is close by, athletes are training.

Getting the best jobs in Nigeria is a fantastic feat, particularly with the crumbling economy and nepotism. Even 1st class students are struggling. But like I've said before, if your sister went to compete, even if she didn't win but she mentioned it in an interview, what do you think will happen? Which candidate is more memorable, Miss "I competes in Long Jump at the Olympics but didn't win a medal" or Miss "I have a 2:1, just like the rest 50% other applicants and please remember it is from a Nigerian university, which everyone assumes produces half-baked graduates who can't speak English well or understand Logic and Reasoning?"

Which candidate stands out more?

Do you know the crazy thing? Even in the U.S. they have budget cuts everywhere affecting schools, arts and sports. Parents will go and raise funds to keep those things in a good shape for their children. I know this, before I had to help my aunt at a fundraiser in her small community to support some kids trying out for Nationals for some sport. In Nigeria, if I declare "my pastor needs a new private jet, my sister needs a N2million wedding and my church needs a 'befitting' N50million new auditorium", people will troop out to donate. If I say "my community needs a new clinic, my village needs more books in their school library, I want to buy equipment for my local Youth group to train them in Volleyball", how many people do you think I'll get to donate?

It's what Nigerians like and value they spend on. So, yeah, get used to Nigeria managing to win 3 medals at every Olympics.

That Chierika Ukogu girl competing in Rowing has become a mini-superstar. She's even featured on CNN. Remind me how many Medical students (because she's studying Medicine) from UniLag, UNN or any other uni is as popular as her right now. Chioma Ajunwa (who got promoted through the ranks of NPF), Blessing Okagbare, etc. See a pattern?

Good luck with your sister. There are fewer jobs nowadays. It's not longer about book knowledge, I hope you are now making friends with the right people so she can get a bank job instead of teaching like her peers.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by hotspec(m): 5:29pm On Aug 10, 2016
Ds OP sef tire me. Is dt not my dear NIGERIA on d medal table? with ZERO gold, ZERO silver and ZERO bronze?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by NigerianScholar: 5:33pm On Aug 10, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
USA will always Top because they hv all Countries as a citizen, if Medal shld go to ur original country USA will be at d bottom of d table
And china will always come second because they manufacture all the equipment

Everything they use in the Olympics is 'made in china'. Why wont they be winning

1 Like

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Onegai(f): 6:56pm On Aug 10, 2016
Here is the video to see why the U.S., U.K., China and so many other countries are doing better than us: they start from childhood with it without their Government's support.
The ages of the children in that video are:

gymnast Arat Hosseini, 2 year old

boxer Njee "The Future," 7 year old

baseball player Eston Haskiell, 4 year old

swimmer Elizabeth Christensen, seen swimming in 2013 at 16 months

basketball player Enzo Lee, 5 year old

ping pong player Jamie Myska-Buddell, seen hitting balls in 2012 at 18 months

soccer player Ronay Arabaci, seen playing soccer in 2013 at 8 years old

golfer Michael Patton, seen playing in 2013 at 3 years old

Nigerian parents, start doing and funding Science, Music, Arts and Sports. MFM church funds Classical music and so far, Nigeria's most popular Opera singer (doing very well in France) passed through them. Almost the entire MUSON orchestra is from MFM.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Gerrard59(m): 6:56pm On Aug 10, 2016
Onegai:

Do you know the crazy thing? Even in the U.S. they have budget cuts everywhere affecting schools, arts and sports. Parents will go and raise funds to keep those things in a good shape for their children. I know this, before I had to help my aunt at a fundraiser in her small community to support some kids trying out for Nationals for some sport. In Nigeria, if I declare "my pastor needs a new private jet, my sister needs a N2million wedding and my church needs a 'befitting' N50million new auditorium", people will troop out to donate. If I say "my community needs a new clinic, my village needs more books in their school library, I want to buy equipment for my local Youth group to train them in Volleyball", how many people do you think I'll get to donate?

It's what Nigerians like and value they spend on. So, yeah, get used to Nigeria managing to win 3 medals at every Olympics.

That Chierika Ukogu girl competing in Rowing has become a mini-superstar. She's even featured on CNN. Remind me how many Medical students (because she's studying Medicine) from UniLag, UNN or any other uni is as popular as her right now. Chioma Ajunwa (who got promoted through the ranks of NPF), Blessing Okagbare, etc. See a pattern?

Good luck with your sister. There are fewer jobs nowadays. It's not longer about book knowledge, I hope you are now making friends with the right people so she can get a bank job instead of teaching like her peers.

Hope I'd not be wrong to say it's cultural as opposed to the government being held responsible? Pity her and the medical students (coincidentally, she wants to study Medicine), it's not her fault, she just want to make a living grin.

However, I'll say book knowledge still hold sway, (my strength) Chierika Ukogu went to Stanford; even in the countries I mentioned earlier. I read your posts about Baby E going to top nursery schools *St Saviours things* , which propelled me to begin searching for scholarship(s) for her to study abroad (she's too good to study in Nigeria). Preferably Israel or any top Asian country (The UK isn't encouraging anymore).

Yes, I'm making friends with the right clique not just for her for but myself, hopefully they will become top stakeholders in Rivers or Akwa Ibom state. I fully understand the field of networking, as it's one's net worth. Some credits to you Ma. I'll check out the stadium and the possibility.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Onegai(f): 7:11pm On Aug 10, 2016
Gerrard59:

Hope I'd not be wrong to say it's cultural as opposed to the government being held responsible? Pity her and the medical students (coincidentally, she wants to study Medicine), it's not her fault, she just want to make a living grin.

However, I'll say book knowledge still hold sway, (my strength) Chierika Ukogu went to Stanford; even in the countries I mentioned earlier. I read your posts about Baby E going to top nursery schools *St Saviours things* , which propelled me to begin searching for scholarship(s) for her to study abroad (she's too good to study in Nigeria). Preferably Israel or any top Asian country (The UK isn't encouraging anymore).

Yes, I'm making friends with the right clique not just for her for but myself, hopefully they will become top stakeholders in Rivers or Akwa Ibom state. I fully understand the field of networking, as it's one's net worth. Some credits to you Ma. I'll check out the stadium and the possibility.

Book knowledge holds sway, but in the U.S. they like all-rounders and think children need Athletics to be social, teach them Teamplaying and Winning. One of the biggest volume of scholarships come from Sports. Your sister actually has a better chance of studying abroad cheaply if she's good at her sport (do you KNOW how many Nigerians are competing for foreign countries and they gave them Citizenship? grin). Countries who are hungry for Gold in Athletics will offer her scholarship of she's good, especially European countries. And we don't have St. Saviour's money grin
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by obomobo: 7:16pm On Aug 10, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
USA will always Top because they hv all Countries as a citizen, if Medal shld go to ur original country USA will be at d bottom of d table
why can't Nigeria b like d U.S.A, we have different ethnics which represent different countries. The ilajes n ijaws for swimming d north for marathon, d ibos for weightlifting and so on mayb we no go collect gold pass d Americans

1 Like

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by famayo: 7:18pm On Aug 10, 2016
Least surprised. D bad omen has been there right from d opening ceremony.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by rummeh: 7:40pm On Aug 10, 2016
bittertruthz:

E concern Nigeria because our military are not fit. Lazy fat stomach ...................... So USA and CHINA are in Africa too?
He should have posted the full medal table. Stop looking for excuse. You can't quote me wrong because im more intelligent than you.

more intelligent grin

Use your intelligence to win medals for us...
Would you??
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Ibidi: 9:20pm On Aug 10, 2016
Proof juju is mostly bullshit or Nig would be number ome
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Ugosample(m): 9:42pm On Aug 10, 2016
Onegai:

So, I did a quick Google search and I found a recently completed stadium, Akwa Ibom stadium. What has stopped you from taking her there to have a look. I'm not a sports person but I know that wherever a stadium is close by, athletes are training.

Getting the best jobs in Nigeria is a fantastic feat, particularly with the crumbling economy and nepotism. Even 1st class students are struggling. But like I've said before, if your sister went to compete, even if she didn't win but she mentioned it in an interview, what do you think will happen? Which candidate is more memorable, Miss "I competes in Long Jump at the Olympics but didn't win a medal" or Miss "I have a 2:1, just like the rest 50% other applicants and please remember it is from a Nigerian university, which everyone assumes produces half-baked graduates who can't speak English well or understand Logic and Reasoning?"

Honestly speaking.....
I love your submission here.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by djkirkoo2(m): 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2016
otijah:
Buhari's govt has nothing to do with Nigerians winning medals. They are well better than us in all clarifications.
I just hope that Chierika will exonerate Nigeria
But if dem win medals now na u go first shout sai baba is working.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by oluseyiforjesus(m): 11:41pm On Aug 10, 2016
planetx:
Trash and you even got 3 likes for this rubbish you wrote. 99% of American atlethes at the Olympics are native born.
tongue 27 pple can't be stupid like u, u angry wen it was 3 Likes I guess u hang urslf now wen it's 27.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 8:43pm On Aug 12, 2016
Onegai:
Fatherly, a U.S. group supporting fathers, posted a video titled "2032 Olympic Athletes". See babies and toddlers doing every sport imaginable and being trained and supported by their parents before the Govt gets involved. But Nigerians are waiting for Govt to come and enter their house, pluck their son and daughter and make them Tennis stars and Gymnasts, etc. Clap for yasef, una go wait tire. Govt of mediocrity for people who worship mediocrity.

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1027365630649912&id=348596051860210&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FFatherlyHQ%2Fvideos%2F1027365630649912%2F&_rdr

http://m.wptz.com/news/meet-the-2032-olympic-team/41104422

The baby playing Table Tennis is not up to 10 months, because he couldn't stand up, but he was already knocking back more than half the balls served at him. The gymnast was not over 3 years of age. The swimmer is like 1.5 years, cannot pass 2 years old. And that little boxer?? Sweet Lord, that kid has talent.

This summer, what has your child done??

the line "government of mediocre for people who worship mediocrity" captures it all. And majority of Nigerian parents also inputs this into the kids. They want you to be comfortable, but not really great or famous. They extol the likes of Gani Fawehinmi but they warn their kids not to be involved in politics/activism. They talk all the time about Okocha and Kanu but tell the kids to 'read their books' all time, chasing the ones with passion for football away from the field and beating him. Mediocrity is daily infused in us and it is very sad! The roads and homes are built to last for 3years. This mediocrity also cuts across all levels, from the poor to the rich. The whole nation needs a 'spiritual' reworking.

1 Like

Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Onegai(f): 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2016
RoyalPriesthuud:
the line "government of mediocre for people who worship mediocrity" captures it all. And majority of Nigerian parents also inputs this into the kids. They want you to be comfortable, but not really great or famous. They extol the likes of Gani Fawehinmi but they warn their kids not to be involved in politics/activism. They talk all the time about Okocha and Kanu but tell the kids to 'read their books' all time, chasing the ones with passion for football away from the field and beating him. Mediocrity is daily infused in us and it is very sad! The roads and homes are built to last for 3years. This mediocrity also cuts across all levels, from the poor to the rich. The whole nation needs a 'spiritual' reworking.

Very true.

Is anyone watching the Athletics? See how many Nigerians are competing for other countries and qualifying and doing well. We ought to be ashamed because we should have been on the streets protesting against our government for stealing money instead of developing Sports and encouraging parents to push Sports. Nigeria will be lucky to get a single medal.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Onegai(f): 3:57pm On Aug 13, 2016
Gerrard59:

Are you watching the Athletics for Rio 2016? Have you noticed a lot of Nigerian female runners are competing (and winning) for other countries like Bahrain, U.K., Brunei and Qatar? They all must be given citizenship yo compete. Food for thought.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Gerrard59(m): 9:07pm On Aug 13, 2016
Onegai:

Are you watching the Athletics for Rio 2016? Have you noticed a lot of Nigerian female runners are competing (and winning) for other countries like Bahrain, U.K., Brunei and Qatar? They all must be given citizenship yo compete. Food for thought.

Yes, I did noticed it and not only on the female side but likewise male. So I discussed with my mom about the possibility of my sis going for training at the stadium and her faciallook was a "make she finish school first". I'll say the blame lies with the citizenry, but then again we shouldn't be fully blamed. Our case can be likened to Singapore that did put education/STEM at its forefront to become what she's today, and currently invests in recreational activities to produce the likes of Joseph Schooling (albeit he went to the US for training). The government needs to improve the economy beyond what it's, so that even if they can't invest in training, parents (Schooling parents sponsored him) can (your earlier example).

I watched the US Fathers video and murmured Ms Onegai was right oh, however, the economy should be improved. I am not saying this because of my sister but millions of Schoolings, Phelps, Williams etc out there in parts of Nigeria.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Onegai(f): 9:11pm On Aug 13, 2016
Gerrard59:

Yes, I did noticed it and not only on the female side but likewise male. So I discussed with my mom about the possibility of my sis going for training at the stadium and her faciallook was a "make she finish school first". I'll say the blame lies with the citizenry, but then again we shouldn't be fully blamed. Our case can be likened to Singapore that did put education/STEM at its forefront to become what she's today, and currently invests in recreational activities to produce the likes of Joseph Schooling (albeit he went to the US for training). The government needs to improve the economy beyond what it's, so that even if they can't invest in training, parents (Schooling parents sponsored him) can (your earlier example).

I watched the US Fathers video and murmured Ms Onegai was right oh, however, the economy should be improved. I am not saying this because of my sister but millions of Schoolings, Phelps, Williams etc out there in parts of Nigeria.

Our government is not having any big plans for Education or Healthcare anytime soon. Their kids don't school here and don't attend Unity schools or State Grammar schools. Why should they waste money they can be stealing educating the masses so we will know our rights and be challenging them? grin

Our parents are also at fault. We want great people but no-one wants their child to make the sacrifices they made. There's no job in Nigeria: almost all the courses in University here have no jobs in their sector. Which is why you will see Microbiologists looking for bank job beside Engineers and Sociologists.
Re: Rio 2016 Medal Table US Leads, South Africa The Only Africa Team On The Table by Gerrard59(m): 9:57pm On Aug 13, 2016
Onegai:

Our government is not having any big plans for Education or Healthcare anytime soon. Their kids don't school here and don't attend Unity schools or State Grammar schools. Why should they waste money they can be stealing educating the masses [/b]so we will know our rights and be challenging them[b]? grin

Our parents are also at fault. We want great people but no-one wants their child to make the sacrifices they made. [/b]There's no job in Nigeria: almost all the courses in University here have no jobs in their sector[b]. Which is why you will see Microbiologists looking for bank job beside Engineers and Sociologists.

First bolded, but we do that; at least on Social Media, esp Nairaland. Second bolded, which is why the economy needs to be diversified and improved. Recently, I bought, read and still reading the book: From Third World to First World by Late Lee Kuan Yew, I wept cry; we have a long way to go; so long that olympic marathoners wouldn't win the race even if they were Kenyans.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uk Football Pools Week 32 Xx14xx / Adegoke Adelabu: Super Eagles lack tactics, toying with our emotions / AFCON 2021 Draw Today At 7pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.