Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,071 members, 7,953,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:23 PM

A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics (1779 Views)

Nigeria Will Never Be Restructured - Shehu Sani / Anambra Election Will Hold If Nigeria Is Restructured Before October 1 - Kanu / A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 11:27am On Aug 10, 2016
There were of late the agitations for the restructuring of Nigeria, it does not matter what opinions political office holders hold today, Nigeria will have no option but restructure in order to continue to survive as a virile country.
I actually see former Vice President Atiku Abubakar coming up with this as a smart political calculation to align his political future with popular sentiments across southern Nigeria and key areas of Middle Belt even though he fell short of what manner of restructuring it should take.
The question is what form of restructured Nigeria do we want, this is why am doing this for Nigerians to contribute beyond the blanket agitation to the exactness of how a restructured Nigeria should look like:

When Nigeria antecedents are duly considered and now that we have to reckon with current challenges and likely challenges that may confront this country, it is pertinent to restructure Nigeria to address problems of:
1. Ethnic agitations for autonomy
2. Fiscal federalism and dependent on centralized economic system
3. Resource control
4. Security challenges such as militancy and terrorism
5. Disparity in socio economic and political evolutions.
6. Protection of minority groups

WHAT NIGERIA
A Federal system maintained in which states are slightly different from what they are now such that states will reflect solutions to ethnic agitations, resource control, security concerns, fiscal federalism and provide platforms for growth within a desired socioeconomic and political sphere. This means we can have all Hausa/Fulani, all Yoruba, all Igbo and all Ijaw ethnic groups and their willing kinsmen can form states. Now states will be autonomous and be fiscally independent. If we put the limitation on admission as states such that we may not have more than 14 states and the FCT.
We can therefore have 7states in the North and 7 states in the south.
So in my opinion, aside the Hausa/Fulani state let us call it Arewa state, we can also now have these states in the north:
1. Arewa
2. Borno : Representing the kanuri people
3. Nok : This state will be the agglomeration of minorities in southern Kaduna, plateau, southern Bauchi, states of today
4. Niger: comprising various non Hausa/Fulani groups and who would not want to be in Arewa from Kebbi, Niger, non Yoruba in Kwara, parts of FCT
5. Benue : The Tiv people with non Yoruba in Kogi, Nasarawa and parts of Taraba
6. Gongola: minorities in southern Borno, Gombe, northern Adamawa
7. Mambilla : Groups from Taraba, Adamawa and similar groups from northern cross River
*FCT
Before I move to the south, the question is when you lump many more ethnic groups won't you be creating a bigger problem?
The answer is internal political structures and autonomy across interested groups such that, ethnic groups or groups with similar identities or interests will form local governments, districts, or principalities evolving their own internal administrative system. For instance, in Benue, the Tiv people can have their autonomous Tiv region and Igala can have autonomous Igala region and that state alone can have as many autonomous regions as it may be desirous of its people. Any state willing to centralize its administrative structure can also do the same if it so desire.

Let me now suggest the seven states from the south:
1. Omoluabi-Oduduwa: Yoruba and their kinsmen that may be willing to be a part of the state
2. Alaigbo : Igbo people and their kinsmen that may chose to be a part of the state
3. Izon : comprising all ijaw people from Delta, Bayelsa and their kinsmen that may be willing to be a part of the state
4. Bendel: Edo and Delta excluding parts that may have aligned with oduduwa, Alaigbo or Izon.
5. Rivers
6. Akwa Ibom
7. Cross River
The internal administration is such that minority groups can have their own autonomous districts, regions, provinces etc within each state.

RESOURCE CONTROL
Since Africans are still land related people and are yet to see the brain as the greatest resource. This is a very sensitive matter.
All resources within each state is within the control of the state but owe it to the Federal government to pay 40% of all proceeds as tax to the federal government.
Internal arrangements will be made by states on how developments can be pursued.

OFFSHORE OIL AND GAS
All offshore minerals shall be under federal-states joint administration with 50%-50% equal share with federal and states bordering the coast.

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
A unicamera assembly with 3 representative from each state and 2 extra members from states with bigger population size meaning that a state cannot have more than 5 representative and cannot have less than 3

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 11:29am On Aug 10, 2016
All infrastructures, security and educational developments will be under states control. Federal government will control foreign affairs, defense and federal security apparatus

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by cheruv: 11:31am On Aug 10, 2016
Hao! Hao!! cool
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 11:34am On Aug 10, 2016
op,,you are a thief..only a thief will suggest such a thing...

ahhh...i get it....!!.....

you want to cheat the weaker ones from their fair share....agbaya....

dont go back to farming,keep on forming smart here..........agbaya

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Noneroone(m): 12:09pm On Aug 10, 2016
Hmm
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 12:10pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

You didn't state how the weaker ones are cheated and how they are protected in the current structure. This is a bottom up approach such that:
1. Ethnic or interested groups form their autonomous districts, regions or principalities
2. Come to be a part of a state
3. Have their interests duly represented in that state.

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 12:13pm On Aug 10, 2016
cheruv:
Hao! Hao!! cool

You can criticize this model but I feel it will satisfy current agitators, allow for those with religious views in governance and five freedom to plurality
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 12:13pm On Aug 10, 2016
cheruv:
Hao! Hao!! cool

You can criticize this model but I feel it will satisfy current agitators, allow for those with religious views in governance and five freedom to plurality
The central government can be headed by a Prime Minister
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 12:13pm On Aug 10, 2016
mandarin:

You didn't state how the weaker ones are cheated and how they are protected in the current structure. This is a bottom up approach such that:
1. Ethnic or interested groups form their autonomous districts, regions or principalities
2. Come to be a part of a state
3. Have their interests duly represented in that state.

we know your type!!...na you you....you dont like hard work...you only like to think and still eat and drink........abegi,park well!!!!...
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 12:17pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

we know your type!!...na you you....you dont like hard work...you only like to think and still eat and drink........abegi,park well!!!!...

You unfortunately haven't come up with a better model. During the regional arrangement, it was a 50-50 sharing formula, I believe the interest of all is protected in this model albeit not exhaustively hence, the need for your contributions
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 12:19pm On Aug 10, 2016
mandarin:

You unfortunately haven't come up with a better model. During the regional arrangement, it was a 50-50 sharing formula, I believe the interest of all is protected in this model albeit not exhaustively hence, the need for your contributions

which model??...their is nothing to change....the system we have now comes already with adjustments since 1960...

get back to work and stop only using your head...use your hands too...agbaya...!!!
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 12:29pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

which model??...their is nothing to change....the system we have now comes already with adjustments since 1960...

get back to work and stop only using your head...use your hands too...agbaya...!!!

How can you say the current structure is good. Getting allocations from the centre? Oil dependent economy ? Ethnic and religious tensions? Corruption? etc
These will be addressed I believe in the model out forth sir

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by otubobo: 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

....you see his smart brains is far better than all the hard work therein...Nigeria is just too diverse for its system of government to be centralize. I think we should restructure this country...the sooner the better.....and I don't know why your calling someone a thief when you've not come up with better solutions....Nigerians have worked hard enough, its time to think of ways in moving this country forward.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 12:34pm On Aug 10, 2016
otubobo:
....you see his smart brains is far better than all the hard work therein...Nigeria is just too diverse for its system of government to be centralize. I think we should restructure this country...the sooner the better.....and I don't know why your calling someone a thief when you've not come up with better solutions....Nigerians have worked hard enough, its time to think of ways in moving this country forward.

restructure my left foot...the last time people like you tried to restructure,the military took over!!!!......remember??...

the system will gradualy adjust its self....we dont need no radical restructure....

what is with the kings and queens,elders,chiefs,pastors,imams,sultans,emirs,obas,obis,children,retireds,raging youths,angry widows...

do they have place in your restructuring plan??,,,
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
get back to work,and stop thinking tooo much....

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 1:01pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

restructure my left foot...the last time people like you tried to restructure,the military took over!!!!......remember??...

the system will gradualy adjust its self....we dont need no radical restructure....

what is with the kings and queens,elders,chiefs,pastors,imams,sultans,emirs,obas,obis,children,retireds,raging youths,angry widows...

do they have place in your restructuring plan??,,,

I feel a really long $40 a barrel crude oil is what Nigeria needs to get her acts together. You think if the people resolve to restructure military will take over power? Its just a simple constitutional amendment sir.
We can't be under bondage for fear of freedom!

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 10, 2016
OP, your proposotion is what Nigeria should have been. Note the word 'should have'. But now the ship has already sailed all thanks to the Hausa/Fulanis and their selfish interest.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 1:12pm On Aug 10, 2016
Chiwude:
OP, your proposotion is what Nigeria should have been. Note the word 'should have'. But now the ship has already sailed all thanks to the Hausa/Fulanis and their selfish interest.

Nigeria can and will still be different from what it is today. This arrangement will be part of what will make Nigeria a great country again. Democracy will tinker with all selfish interests, its a matter of time

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 1:17pm On Aug 10, 2016
mandarin:

I feel a really long $40 a barrel crude oil is what Nigeria needs to get her acts together. You think if the people resolve to restructure military will take over power? Its just a simple constitutional amendment sir.
We can't be under bondage for fear of freedom!

we dont need crude-oil!!!.....what we need is full stomachs....the rest is,ovambe!!!...
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 1:26pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

we dont need crude-oil!!!.....what we need is full stomachs....the rest is,ovambe!!!...

You are just a passersby, come up with how your are going to get your stomachs full

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 1:34pm On Aug 10, 2016
mandarin:

You are just a passersby, come up with how your are going to get your stomachs full

now now..i am writing to you...my stomach isss fulll.....i even have the feeling to go shiiit sef and eat more...
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

now now..i am writing to you...my stomach isss fulll.....i even have the feeling to go shiiit sef and eat more...

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Emyogalanya: 2:29pm On Aug 10, 2016
U are the actually thiev stealing from the minorities currently . My guy with restructuring no one minor or major will be able to cheat and steal from minorities cos these minorities will be in control of their resources. Like a the current setup that's like Christmas gifts to children eg if u remember when our parents collect our Christmas gifts and promise to keep it for us only to spend without our knowledge on things that has nothing to do with us directly. So u guys should stop making minorities feel ur doing them any good cos ur actually the vultures feeding fat from their resource pls if otherwise show us how u protect these same minorities show us how u have met their needs in the last 50 yrs apart from oil spill
tsdarkside:

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 2:43pm On Aug 10, 2016
Emyogalanya:
U are the actually thiev stealing from the minorities currently . My guy with restructuring no one minor or major will be able to cheat and steal from minorities cos these minorities will be in control of their resources. Like a the current setup that's like Christmas gifts to children eg if u remember when our parents collect our Christmas gifts and promise to keep it for us only to spend without our knowledge on things that has nothing to do with us directly. So u guys should stop making minorities feel ur doing them any good cos ur actually the vultures feeding fat from their resource pls if otherwise show us how u protect these same minorities show us how u have met their needs in the last 50 yrs apart from oil spill

tahh....we tried your view,and it ended in war!!!....
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Emyogalanya: 3:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
Ur view actually led to that war . Recall sir ahead speech on 12 October?
tsdarkside:

tahh....we tried your view,and it ended in war!!!....

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2016
The issue of restructuring may become a serious campaign issue in 2019 moreso if someone like Atiku Abubakar should run for Presidency on any platform. The truth is the bottom up approach can be a way of aligning the current structure to suit a more productive one where every group no matter how small will feel belong to the country.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by tsdarkside(m): 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2016
Emyogalanya:
Ur view actually led to that war . Recall sir ahead speech on 12 October?

ohhh no,noo,noooo,....you are not going to hang the fault of the war on us now...!!!...back to sender!!!...

who started the killings??.......who lives by the sword,shall die by the sword!!!!......
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 5:18pm On Aug 10, 2016
tsdarkside:

ohhh no,noo,noooo,....you are not going to hang the fault of the war on us now...!!!...back to sender!!!...

who started the killings??.......who lives by the sword,shall die by the sword!!!!......

Why would war ensued when critical issues on developments are discussed.Military leaders turned Politicians to enjoy booties of war since 60s! Anyone who propagate war does so to protect the status quo that doesn't really benefit Nigerians at d best. A system that will entrench accountability is of dreadful to corrupt and lazy classes.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Emyogalanya: 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2016
Who started what killings where in the igboland did we start the killings the pogroms started up north in kano
tsdarkside:

Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by mandarin: 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2016
Emyogalanya:
Who started what killings where in the igboland did we start the killings the pogroms started up north in kano

This thread is not about a history that will take us nowhere. Moving forward is what is needed now
Re: A Restructured Nigeria...geography & Politics by Emyogalanya: 6:03pm On Aug 10, 2016
And why did u broached it up u guys are pathological and pathetic liars why
mandarin:

This thread is not about a history that will take us nowhere. Moving forward is what is needed now

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: VP Osinbajo In Ila-orangun, Osun State / NASS To Strip FG Of Powers To Control Mineral Resources / Mystery Snake Swallows N36 Million Cash In JAMB Office- Lere Olayinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.