Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,427 members, 7,850,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:38 PM

The Reality Of Unemployment In Nigeria (pic). - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Reality Of Unemployment In Nigeria (pic). (555 Views)

10 Ways To Reduce Unemployment In Nigeria / Secret Ways To Kill Unemployment Forever / Top 10 Lucrative Blue-collar Jobs In Nigeria To Beat Graduate Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Reality Of Unemployment In Nigeria (pic). by AndyAustin(m): 12:32pm On Aug 10, 2016
I have often heard people talk about unemployment in Nigeria and even many times I have found myself say something about it while discussing with friends, but I never really knew that I had no idea of the height it has mounted to until recently.
Two days ago, in the filling station where I work, an attendant had officially informed the Manager of his leaving i.e. (resignation); according to him, his name had been shortlisted among those who are to come for interview in the Nigerian Navy and would be leaving next week. A signboard was then placed outside notifying the public of a vacancy in the filling station. One of us had wondered if we were going to find someone interested before our prospective Navy depart finally. However, around 4 p.m. that day, the signboard was placed outside and people started coming asking different sorts of question. We told them to come with an application if they were interested in the job. Before we close that day, five envelops were already on the manager's desk. The next day was nothing less as application upon application kept coming. Around 11 a.m, I had to personally turn the signboard backwards in order to cease the influx of applications, afterall it's only one person that would be employed so why raise people's hope unnecessarily? This, surprisingly, did not stop the letters from coming, it only reduce it. Then I realised the ugliness of the situation of unemployment in the country. This, honestly, to me, was shocking because I had just graduated from the University, waiting to go for NYSC come November, 'Is this the society waiting for me...with my high hopes and dreams?' The situation is nothing close to those theories we had in school about unemployment, far from it. It then dawn on me that unemployment in this country is belittled a monkey, of which truly, it is an Alpha King-Kong dealing with people...big time!
One events struck me though. It was that of a man and his nursing wife. They both came and enquired about the job and when we asked them who it was that wanted to work they both replied 'me'. The both started arguing as the man was trying to simmer down his wife who was not listening. The manager, who had being watching from a distance, then walked in and calmed them both. He told the man the job was not his because the salary is too small to cater for a man with family. And the woman too could not do the job because she have little children to attend to, in addition to some customers who often 'talk dirty' especially to female attendants. The man tried to beg the manager but it was not yielding so they both left with their two little children by their sides.
There and then, fellow nairalanders, was when I knew the situation of unemployment in this country has gone-pass-be-careful. Is Nigeria going panya or what?

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Unemployment In Nigeria (pic). by saintikechi(m): 1:19pm On Aug 10, 2016
for this buhari economy?

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Craziest Thing You Have Ever Said To Your Boss? / Teachers Vacancies In Ikole-ekiti, Ekiti State Nigeria. / Electrical And Electronic Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.