Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,907 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

News Around The World - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / News Around The World (329 Views)

News Around The World / News Around The World / News Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

News Around The World by Newsbreakers: 6:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
Alex Iwobi shows off his gift from Premier League to mark season of debut (photo)

Arsenal player Alex Iwobi, one of the 67 homegrown players to have made competitive debuts in the premier league last season, posed with a framed version of the gift given to him by the English Premier league to mark his first appearance for Arsenal in Arsenal’s 3-0 win at Swansea City in October of last year.

The Rock calls out his Fast and Furious male co-stars in Instagram post

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson who plays the character of Luke Hobbs in hit franchise, Fast and Furious took to his Instagram page yesterday to call out his male co-stars. He accused them of being unprofessional and ‘candy asses’. While the 44-year-old actor didn’t mention names, the movie has a stellar cast which includes Vin Diesel, Ludacris, Tyrese, Jason Statham and Scott Eastwood. None of the aforementioned has commented on the post but insiders now say that the guys are very annoyed, especially as there’s still a week and a half to go until filming wraps.

Klopp: On our day, no one would like to play Liverpool

The Reds boss has seen enough evidence from his squad to be enthusiastic about 2016-17, and wants his players to surprise themselves and the league in the new season.

The Liverpool manager has just added the word ‘encourage’ to his English vocabulary, but that is not the primary source of his excitement.

The 49-year-old is thoroughly enthused by overseeing his first full campaign at the club, his effervescence activated by what he believes the squad are capable of. “The skills and the character of my players – I really, really like it,” Klopp tells Goal in an exclusive interview as he contemplates the 2016-17 season. “They want to learn, they want to improve, they want to work together, they believe in what we are doing, and I am lucky to have this.”

Since his appointment as commander-in-chief at Anfield on October 8 last year, the German has seen enough evidence to suggest his enthusiasm is not misplaced. There have been occasions where Klopp has stood on the touchline in wonder, watching an unrelenting and uncontainable Liverpool.

Reviewing his opening spell in charge, each month provided a snapshot of how formidable Liverpool could be on their day. Chelsea discovered as much in a 3-1 home defeat at the end of October, before Manchester City were mercilessly mauled 4-1 at the Etihad in November.

The festive period began with the 6-1 scorching of Southampton at St Mary’s in the League Cup, and on Boxing Day, eventual champions Leicester were ousted in a tight test. The turn of the year brought exhilarating late comebacks against Arsenal and Norwich, which fed into Klopp’s “we decide when it’s over” demand. That was followed by the 6-0 Valentine’s Day massacre of Aston Villa, before both Manchester clubs were played off the park at Anfield in March.

The month after, Thomas Tuchel admitted he was at a loss for an explanation when his Borussia Dortmund side – 2-0 up on the night at half-time – exited the Europa League quarter-finals after an unthinkable 4-3 defeat on Merseyside. Everton were embarrassed soon afterwards as Liverpool toyed with them in a 4-0 derby victory; the scoreline flattering the Goodison Park outfit.

Ranieri pens extended Leicester deal

The Italian has signed a new contract with the Foxes ahead of the club’s Premier League defence and Champions League debut

Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri has signed a new four-year contract, the Premier League champions have confirmed.

Former Chelsea, Valencia and Juventus boss Ranieri, 64, enjoyed the crowning moment of a nomadic career last season when he masterminded Leicester’s improbable title triumph in England’s top flight.

Leicester begin their Premier League defence against newly promoted Hull City on Saturday and the likable Italian has confirmed his intention to stay at the King Power Stadium for the foreseeable future, with the Foxes’ Champions League debut next month a particularly mouth-watering prospect.

“From the moment I talked to the owners about their vision for Leicester City, I knew it was something I wanted to be part of for a long time,” Ranieri told Leicester’s official website after his deal was confirmed on Wednesday:

“The energy that exists at this club – from the owners and the staff, to the players and supporters – is something very special. I am very happy and proud that I will be part of it for years to come.

“Last season, that spirit and our hard work helped us to achieve something magical. If we can continue to work hard, maintain our passion and continue to fight with all our hearts, I am sure we can continue to be successful together.”

Leicester were beaten 2-1 by Manchester United in the Community Shield last Sunday but have largely kept their title-winning squad intact, with N’Golo Kante’s departure to Chelsea the only significant loss to a group bolstered by the signings of Ahmed Musa, Nampalys Mendy, Ron-Robert Zieler, Luis Hernandez and Bartosz Kapustka.

The Foxes’ vice-chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “Twelve months ago, we brought to Leicester City a man whose knowledge and experience, we felt, could lead us into the next phase of our long-term plan.

“What he would go on to help us achieve, in the time we have achieved it, has been beyond anything we could have anticipated.

“Claudio’s qualities, both as a man and as a coach, have been very clear since the moment he arrived – qualities that have helped Leicester City to progress on every level. We have strong foundations from which to keep moving our club forward and I’m delighted that Claudio will continue to be part of that journey.”

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Four World Bank Officials Drowned In Ekiti Dam / Let Us Play A Nigerian Game Called "Who Wants To Help Buhari Create A New IPOB / Zamfara Killings: CAN Talks Tough, Issues Last Warning To Muslim Fanatics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.