Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,101 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection (38922 Views)

Help: Please How Much Will It Cost Me? Sketch Picture Attached / How Much It Will Cost Me To Build 3 Bedroom / How Much Would It Cost Me To Complete This 3Bedroom Bungalow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
peaceland:

Thanks sir,
I understand the wire from the buried conductors to the DB. What I was confused about were the ones from points to DB. All the wires looks same to me just different sizes. Dont mind my unlearned talks. Was thinking based on your post that such wires are distinctively different and named different..

Just to throw this out there too, the colors are imports and the wrong wire color will fail inspection.

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by topsy23: 8:31pm On Aug 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Just to throw this out there too, the colors are imports and the wrong wire color will fail inspection.

Boss.........this cable is 3-core cable, brown wire is live, black neutral and the white is earth.....but the most common colour code in Nigeria are stated below:
For a single phase wiring;
Red-Live
Black -Neautral
Green/yellow - Earth

For a 3-phase connection
Red(phase)- live
Yello(phase). Live
Blue(phase)- live
Black. - neautral
We normall use green for earth cable
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 12, 2016
topsy23:

Boss.........this cable is 3-core cable, [s]brown wire is live, black neutral and the white is earth[/s].....but the most common colour code in Nigeria are stated below:
For a single phase wiring;
Red-Live
Black -Neautral
Green/yellow - Earth

For a 3-phase connection
Red(phase)- live
Yello(phase). Live
Blue(phase)- live
Black. - neautral
We normall use green for earth cable

Oh, I don't care for Nigeria's coloring scheme, I just posted that pic to show the poster that color makes, or should make, a difference.

But thanks for the write up though, others should save it.

Correction

Brown = Ground
White = Neutral
Black = Live
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by danowena: 10:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
topsy23:

The amount is much. Is your electrician installing indelic called lightning preventron? If it is a normal spike that normally install on the roof, less than 100k should be able to cater for it except the electrician is installing another brand of lightning arrestor called ESSEX. This type is very expensive. For the normal arrestor below is the materials needed:

1. Copper tape
2. Tape clip
3. Tonado nail
4. Earth rod
5. Earth clamp
6. Spike
7. Earth coupler(if u are using more than one earth rod)

Visit this thread more information on Earthing and Bonding system.
https://www.nairaland.com/2316228/importance-proper-earthing-bonding-system
Can u please explain the differences between Essex and the conventional spike? What are the cost implications?
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by danowena: 10:52pm On Aug 12, 2016
Talking of cabling of the lightning arrester.

Cc:topsy23,allCopacetic

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 11:06pm On Aug 12, 2016
peaceland:

Thanks sir,
I understand the wire from the buried conductors to the DB. What I was confused about were the ones from points to DB. All the wires looks same to me just different sizes. Dont mind my unlearned talks. Was thinking based on your post that such wires are distinctively different and named different..

you're welcome chief,
no they're not different, the're same for the same size just colour coded insulators
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 11:12pm On Aug 12, 2016
danowena:

yes thats the copper tape running from the spike down.
this must be an old house.
From the material type i'm guessing this is in the same location as the D/board posted sometime ago.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by mank1234(m): 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oh, I don't care for Nigeria's coloring scheme...

Correction

Brown = Ground
White = Neutral
Black = Live

Lol. On nairaland, you should care about Nigerian color scheme. Intl new code is brown(live), blue (neutral) green/yellow(earth) for single phase. What you specified is for US and definitely not obtainable in naij. Here we use the old Intl standard(red,black..)

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 13, 2016
mank1234:

Lol. On nairaland, you should care about Nigerian color scheme. Intl new code is brown(live), blue (neutral) green/yellow(earth) for single phase. What you specified is for US and definitely not obtainable in naij. Here we use the old Intl standard(red,black..)

Yeah you're right, I'm wiring my house in US style.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by mufutau55(m): 12:48am On Aug 13, 2016
danowena:

Check your Inbox. Sent you some info.

Hajji M.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by danowena: 4:09am On Aug 13, 2016
mufutau55:

Check your Inbox. Sent you some info.

Hajji M.

Oga, you are too much sir! I appreciate.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by mufutau55(m): 4:49am On Aug 13, 2016
danowena:

Oga, you are too much sir! I appreciate.

We thank God.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by twinskenny(m): 7:37am On Aug 23, 2016
allCopacetic:

yes thats the copper tape running from the spike down.
this must be an old house.
From the material type i'm guessing this is in the same location as the D/board posted sometime ago. probably staff living quarters for some ioc or other multinational smiley

boss thanks for the supply, meanwhile where can i get good automatic change over switch... my client insist on this
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by esosuo2: 7:05am On Aug 24, 2016
Op u.can actually get plants as in flowers that arrest thunder in ur compound its actually cheaper and it beautify"s at same .Time if u have space
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by lonelydora: 7:05am On Aug 24, 2016
Lajet:
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protection my house the house is one storey building . The electrician told me it will cost me 387,000 naira because of the dollar rate is too high now. I want to know if it's true which materials will I need to buy.the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protection

Way too high. Tell him to list what and what he needs to buy. It should in the range of 80 to 100k depending on how you want to do it.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by lonelydora: 7:05am On Aug 24, 2016
Lajet:
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protection my house the house is one storey building . The electrician told me it will cost me 387,000 naira because of the dollar rate is too high now. I want to know if it's true which materials will I need to buy.the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protection

Way too high. Tell him to list what and what he needs to buy. It should be in the range of 80 to 100k depending on how you want to do it.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 7:08am On Aug 24, 2016
twinskenny:

boss thanks for the supply, meanwhile where can i get good automatic change over switch... my client insist on this

disregard earlier post
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Izukel(m): 7:14am On Aug 24, 2016
Thunder arrrestor I guess?,
What you will need is
1 Cooper tape=1600 per meter (naira)
2 copper mat=5500
3 thunder arrrestor=7000
4 copper clips=100
5 copper nail=100 per pair
6 copper earthrod=5500 (sometimes it may not be necessary)
This the major things that is necessary, other things are salt, manure etc.
The height of the building will determine how many meters of copper tape he will need.
LITTLE EXPO WILL THE DEALER.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by highwaist: 7:14am On Aug 24, 2016
Lajet:
may God have mercy upon me......that money is enough to wiring my uncomplete bbuilding
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Izukel(m): 7:16am On Aug 24, 2016
Thunder arrrestor I guess?,
What you will need is
1 Cooper tape=1600 per meter (naira)
2 copper mat=5500
3 thunder arrrestor=7000
4 copper clips=100
5 copper nail=100 per pair
6 copper earthrod=5500 (sometimes it may not be necessary)
This the major things that is necessary, other things are salt, manure etc.
The height of the building will determine how many meters of copper tape he will need.
LITTLE EXPO FROM THE DEALER.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by lordkhalifa(m): 7:24am On Aug 24, 2016
yeah I love thunder protector... the wire that connect to the ground... u can also use it as neutral to dilute ur positive to generate minimum 180/200 voltage light
undecided been using Nigeria light free of charge for ages cheesy grin
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by solar9190(m): 7:25am On Aug 24, 2016
Lajet:

Thanks you mean there is no need to connect any wire in in each of the rooms as the Electrican told me
That your electrician is a rogue, there is nothing like connecting thunder system to the rooms and with just #70,000 the job is done.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by nellybadas: 7:27am On Aug 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I understand how you feel.

It's actually not hard at all to post evidence that your premise is faulty, I just choose not to.

I prefer that you do your own knowledge gathering since you have internet access.

We've discussed this same issue in this section recently and I posted various research.

I'm not interested in doing that all over. I'm comfortable with my conscience because I told you that you're wrong, now it's up to you to study up. Or not.

With all the time you used in replying him. You should at least have educated everyone on the mistake you noticed and correct it. The guy is not even arguing with you so why hoarding what you know At least give him a link if your fingers are too heavy to type. It will surely benefit everyone here.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Unibenfucker(m): 7:28am On Aug 24, 2016
@op my dad has a one storey building of 4-3bedroom flats and he spent only 50k to put the thunder protection
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by nwadiuko1(m): 7:41am On Aug 24, 2016
danowena:

Oga hajj. Can u share the number of the electrician that fixed your lightning arrester? I am getting a bill of 300k.
Please treat as urgent.
call 08055661368.he l do the needed, he is in Aba. He works for me on anything electrical
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by gist4kidsblog: 7:41am On Aug 24, 2016
Okay

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by logicab: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2016
You see why it is better to clarify before starting an argument? Both sides were arguing on different points. One was arguing about lightning vs thunder, the other was arguing about bungalow needs arrestor versus does not. grin
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by nosike3(m): 7:45am On Aug 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It's not my job to educate you Sir.

Good day.
The arrogance of a foolish man! He is right, you're wrong! Don't be so cocky in your stupidity!

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by gretblue: 7:48am On Aug 24, 2016
OP be wary of all these road side engineers. The Thunder protector I did over 3yrs ago didn't cost me up to 87k.One wonders what could have changed to make it close 380k by now. Get various quotations from different men,surely this will expose the man in question.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by MrHenshaw: 7:48am On Aug 24, 2016
Lajet:

Nobi person wey comit d find "Thunder protector" or r we talking of "Lightening Protection System (LPS).Just asking?because any person wey comit don comit,no protection for thunder.9c day folks.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Amadaz(m): 7:48am On Aug 24, 2016
Do you want to put it on your body to avoid thunder from firing you or what? Be specific!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adron Homes And Properties Staff Celebrated Nigeria At 60 In Style (Photos) / Suleja Flood! Many Lives And Properties Lost. Residents Seen Relocating (Photos) / EFCC To Jail Landlords Housing Yahoo Boys For 15 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.