Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job (20378 Views)

"Don't Ever Take No For An Answer" - Pretty Lady Says After Getting A Job.Photos / Npower: Any Hope Of Getting December Stipend? / Apply For 2016 AGIP Oil And Gas Msc Foreign And Local Scholarship For Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Willie2015: 10:56am On Aug 12, 2016
Slimszy:

You have got a point... But who would loan you amidst this economic hardship where governments find it hard to pay salaries?
A friend of mine dropped the transport business recently who ply between Abuja and Keffi because of little or no gain owing to the increase in fuel price... Before now...he could get 3-4k income per day...but he hardly get 1k profit after a days job after the increase in fuel price... We have not mentioned maintenance fee, association due, fuel purchase... Sir...everything is not working in Nigeria expecially for starters...

Imagine a welder without electricity...

Pple will loan you money if you can convince them that you are serious. Thats why I said Friends and Families that knows you and your ability. Your friends need to choose a route that is profitable and watch his cost. All these factors mentioned also affects big coys too, thats why they always sack and reduce their cost.

I agree with you that small scale business start ups is diffilcult, with dedication, discipline and prayer, one can succeed. All welders in Nigeria should have closed business if they take into consideration the eletricity saga, but they are still much around working and earning their living.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by morayolawal: 10:56am On Aug 12, 2016
Getting a Masters degree in Nigeria does not mean you'll get a good job or a job at all. In fact a situation whereby a person with an MSc is being replaced by someone that hasn't even completed their NYSC service is a grave example. Being influential or connected is how people get jobs in Nigeria this days, not by a so called Masters degree.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
Do you think that you are making sense? I do not blame you but the system that is making you to run your mouth. Next time, do not just type gibberish. Get a job and master on it as if that is how it is easy to get it. Many have not gotten a job after graduating many years ago. Those of us that have gone for masters are still more relevant than them in the labour market.
Sorry the is guy is still more sense than you.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 10:59am On Aug 12, 2016
blueseacats:
Sorry the is guy is still more sense than you.
Sorry too, I am more sensible than you!
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Paschalparix(m): 11:11am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
Someone can only work and gain experience if he/she is being given a chance to do so. That is my argument. The system is faulty, that is it, let us call a spade a spade. People that have been written off in Nigeria are doing great abroad. I have a friend who was unable to get a job in Nigeria but within few months in America he got three good offers. He was not employable in Nigeria but employable in America!

Then give yourself a chance. Waiting for white collar jobs does not pay sometimes.

3 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 12, 2016
Safari29:
my sister is sitting at home with her Msc two years counting

Kindly let your Sis know it's not over yet. There are still opportunities for people with Msc: The rate at which Universities(private and Public) are opening up these days is quite encouraging. That is where the pendulum is swinging to right now. Just a little more search, efforts and she'll definitely get her desire. Much regards.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Naturallyme: 11:13am On Aug 12, 2016
You know nothing . You claim to be more relevant than the working class because you have masters. Keep consoling yourself with your gullibility. My Boss here has no masters he is paid millions because of certifications he has. You sound soo shallow in thinking. maybe if you can change your orientation , you will get a better job. But with this orientation of yours, your stay at home has just started. Masters ko, PHD ni. mumu graduate
emmahoney:
Do you think that you are making sense? I do not blame you but the system that is making you to run your mouth. Next time, do not just type gibberish. Get a job and master on it as if that is how it is easy to get it. Many have not gotten a job after graduating many years ago. Those of us that have gone for masters are still more relevant than them in the labour market.

4 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Springz(f): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
I have counted one year already. Some organisations like NBC, Dangote etc now require M. Sc. for their Graduate Trainee Programmes. Those you ranting cannot even apply for such!! Very soon, M. Sc. will be the minimum academic requirement for most entry level jobs.
Story Story......
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:19am On Aug 12, 2016
Springz:
Story Story......
Pele dear, nobody forces you to go for it.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by tetula123(m): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2016
Justdulla:

What thrash are you saying that your M. sc makes you more relevant than the Bsc Holder. Make them set exam and interview for me and you nah, i will thrash you upandan. Whoever does his Msc just because of employment opportunities is a dullard as far as am concerned. That means you aint grounded or sound enough to defend your Bsc. Moreover who does Msc without a Job or a priority. I have discovered that majority of people like you just enrol for M. sc cos of job opportunitues and nothing else. The quality and the quantity of your IQ still remains stagnant.
oga before you make a point think properly.. How can u compare a BSC to MSC n u made a point that if an exam should be set you going to beat him, lets be logical Msc is a higher version of Bsc automatically he should better you in any test academically, except mayb he dosnt know what took him there
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Springz(f): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
Pele dear, nobody forces you to go for it.
Lol nobody did, still doesn't change the fact that you're telling tales by moonlight.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Naturallyme: 11:23am On Aug 12, 2016
Go and check now. MSc. with at least 2 years experience . not just MSC. 0YRS EXPERIENCE. Must everybody work with Dangote and NB.
emmahoney:
I have counted one year already. Some organisations like NBC, Dangote etc now require M. Sc. for their Graduate Trainee Programmes. Those you ranting cannot even apply for such!! Very soon, M. Sc. will be the minimum academic requirement for most entry level jobs. By then, some of you will understand ;except you are ready to work for yourself.

The job that I am about to get can be attributed to the fact that I have a masters degree. It was only meant for us and not B. Sc. holders.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by MissRike(f): 11:24am On Aug 12, 2016
toposi4naija:

Undergraduates shouldn't be allowed to see this type of posts......

Discouraqinq....I must say!

I'm sorry about that but, that's just the bitter truth though I'm happy I have an MSc degree, it's obviously not a waste, it's an edge over others and I'm encouraging others out there to pursue it if that's what they want. All the best!

3 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by eph12(m): 11:24am On Aug 12, 2016
MissRike:
It doesn't matter, I have an MSc in biochemistry and I've been at home for the past 4-5 months and I'm sure there are many people out there in similar situations. I think the best thing that matters is the course of study, it must not be restricted to a particular field.
I studied biochemistry too bsc and some people were saying go do your MSc I just shook my head because it's a waste to me. Job opportunities for biochemistry graduates is so limited and then when you go further to do MSc it simply means you have decided to tow that career line only unless something pops up. Truth is that for your MSc to be useful you have to do PhD. This is just the fact. With PhD you can have options but just MSc? Nothing for you. Of course people still get employed with just MSc in multinationals but then you have to struggle with the other millions who have same MSc probably from the UK and all and probably finished much younger than you.

3 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2016
Naturallyme:
You know nothing . You claim to be more relevant than the working class because you have masters. Keep consoling yourself with your gullibility. My Boss here has no masters he is paid millions because of certifications he has. You sound soo shallow in thinking. maybe if you can change your orientation , you will get a better job. But with this orientation of yours, your stay at home has just started. Masters ko, PHD ni. mumu graduate
You lack comprehension skills!! Point out where I said that we are better than working class. I only said that we are better than those that have graduated many years ago without a masters degree and are still jobless. Go and settle your family problems, so that when you come back to this thread you will read and understand before commenting.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Nobody: 11:27am On Aug 12, 2016
Eddodoh:

I guess he meant no insult but that's the fact.
It is advisable to work and gain some experience and when you have find a niche for particular field or specialization then, you acquire Master Degree in ur chosen field.

Employers want verifiable work experience not just certificates.
They are complaining there is no job and no chance for experience, but when you give them little advice that can eventually change their life they brush you aside because they have masters which to me is another worthless piece of paper.

I advised two graduates recently , one masters the other bsc with welding skills to go with it I told them to look for very company they intend to work for and request to work for free (yes for free, volunteer). The masters guy brushed me aside because he though with his piece of paper every one will present him with a job, suit and tie, the other guy called me after 6 months and said guy I have been begging this one gate man at hercules offshore to help me submit my application for volunteer welder at hercules with no success, I told him I have a friend who works there, if you want to be a volunteer I can help, but real job, my leg no reach there.

Two weeks later the guy got a volunteer job as a welder 6 months later they staffed him at another company when they saw his hercules experience, now he is taking professional under water welding courses, I have told him to look into six sigma courses so he can be oil industry's hot cake.

The masters guy is still roaming about screaming on top of his lungs "AM A MASTERS DEGREE HOLDER WITHOUT A JOB" who cares ?if with all your masters you can't create a job from nothing, wipe your ass with that certificate and go get a skill or better still run into a cave and stop keeping us in the third world arena. Because you nothing but a caveman, Nonsense.

6 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2016
tetula123:
oga before you make a point think properly.. How can u compare a BSC to MSC n u made a point that if an exam should be set you going to beat him, lets be logical Msc is a higher version of Bsc automatically he should better you in any test academically, except mayb he dosnt know what took him there

Thats exactly what am saying. he doesnt know what took him there. He did his Msc cos he couldnt secure a job, that means he lacks the prequisite of a hustler. I remember I when i gate crashed an Interview last year, i discovered i was the only Bsc Holder, the rest had Msc and Mtech. But I still came out tops, the Msc holders were talking gibberish and lacking confidence, some were forming Dubai experience, but that wasnt the point. Performance and output are the indices. and am telling you most Nigerian graduates have no idea what they are doing in some jobs, they are only concerned about the salary they earn. Ave spent less than 2 years in the labour market, and I have tested 2 different jobs already, thats because i always update myself with current trends, am always reading and wanting to know more about my field and environment in general.. I dont need an Msc to be a hustler. Its in the Blood

5 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by MissRike(f): 11:32am On Aug 12, 2016
eph12:

I studied biochemistry too bsc and some people were saying go do your MSc I just shook my head because it's a waste to me. Job opportunities for biochemistry graduates is so limited and then when you go further to do MSc it simply means you have decided to tow that career line only unless something pops up. Truth is that for your MSc to be useful you have to do PhD. This is just the fact. With PhD you can have options but just MSc? Nothing for you. Of course people still get employed with just MSc in multinationals but then you have to struggle with the other millions who have same MSc probably from the UK and all and probably finished much younger than you.

God bless you. That's just it, once you have an MSc in biochemistry, you're already towing the path of academics and getting a PhD like you said, increases your chances of getting successful in ur career especially a lecturing career. Though there are exceptions like working in the multinational companies but, that's a real thug of war. Well, all the best to us all.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Naturallyme: 11:35am On Aug 12, 2016
I can see you are hungry and angry as well.( Double wahala). you blame it on the system and people are getting employed everyday. remove the wax in your medulla oblongata and coverings on your retina so that you can see and think well. anyways my company is recruiting . if you have B.Eng in a reputable school let me know.
emmahoney:
You lack comprehension skills!! Point out where I said that we are better than working class. I only said that we are better than those that have graduated many years ago without a masters degree and are still jobless. Go and settle your family problems, so that when you come back to this thread you will read and understand before commenting.

2 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:35am On Aug 12, 2016
Naturallyme:
Go and check now. MSc. with at least 2 years experience . not just MSC. 0YRS EXPERIENCE. Must everybody work with Dangote and NB.
Job Title: Trainee Shift Manager (Brewing)
Reference Code: TSMB/June/2016
Level: Management
Job Description
The Trainee Shift Manager (Brewing) position is
an integral part of the NB Graduate
Management Development Scheme, targeted at
identifying young, bright, ambitious and talented
Nigerian graduates who are desirous of a
Brewing career in the foremost Brewing
organization.
After a highly competitive selection process,
successful candidates will undergo a 12-month
fully residential training programme involving
formal training and experiential attachments in
our Breweries.
At the end of the training, the successful
candidate will be appointed as Shift Manager
(Brewing) in any of our Breweries across the
country.
Job Requirements
The ideal candidates must not be older than
thirty (30) years as at June 2016 and should
possess the following:
Five (5) credit grades in WASC/GCE/SSCE
including Maths, English and 3 other relevant
subjects obtained in one sitting.
Bachelor’s Degree (BSC) minimum of Second
Class Honours (Lower Division) in any of the
science disciplines listed below.
PLUS:
Master’s degree (MSC) in any of the
under listed Science disciplines.
NYSC Discharge Certificate.
Relevant Fields of Study:
Microbiology
Biochemistry
Chemical Engineering
Industrial Chemistry
Chemistry/ Pure & Applied Chemistry/
Analytical Chemistry
Food Science & Technology.
Ability to work with basic computer applications
(e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Geographical mobility within and outside
Nigeria.
Initiative and drive.

I was referring to Nigerian Breweries per say. Must everybody has a degree too? It is relative as well. The fact remains that masters degree is not a waste. If someone has no gotten a job, going for masters degree is a good thing to do.

3 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by cassidy1996(m): 11:38am On Aug 12, 2016
Eddodoh:

You're very correct. That's the situation we found ourselves in Nigeria.

Some of us that are employmed are still frustrated and underpaid.
you have said it all brother, you they feel my pain(employed, but underpaid)
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:39am On Aug 12, 2016
Naturallyme:
I can see you are hungry and angry as well.( Double wahala). you blame it on the system and people are getting employed everyday. remove the wax in your medulla oblongata and coverings on your retina so that you can see and think well. anyways my company is recruiting . if you have B.Eng in a reputable school let me know.
Give that to one of your family members that has been begging you for such. He/she needs it more than I do.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Naturallyme: 11:41am On Aug 12, 2016
You know what. Bring down your ego and increase your chances of getting employed. Apply with Bsc. where Bsc. is required. not tendering Msc. where Bsc. is required. If MSC is regarded as added advantage, present it okay. stop carrying "MSc Better" mentality about. am sure if I ask you practical questions you will fail woefully.

While you are waiting to get employed, am not saying you shouldn't add value to yourself by going for MSc. but consider MSc. in a field you have working knowledge of and it may not necessary mean it should be same course you read at undergraduate

emmahoney:
Job Title: Trainee Shift Manager (Brewing)
Reference Code: TSMB/June/2016
Level: Management
Job Description
The Trainee Shift Manager (Brewing) position is
an integral part of the NB Graduate
Management Development Scheme, targeted at
identifying young, bright, ambitious and talented
Nigerian graduates who are desirous of a
Brewing career in the foremost Brewing
organization.
After a highly competitive selection process,
successful candidates will undergo a 12-month
fully residential training programme involving
formal training and experiential attachments in
our Breweries.
At the end of the training, the successful
candidate will be appointed as Shift Manager
(Brewing) in any of our Breweries across the
country.
Job Requirements
The ideal candidates must not be older than
thirty (30) years as at June 2016 and should
possess the following:
Five (5) credit grades in WASC/GCE/SSCE
including Maths, English and 3 other relevant
subjects obtained in one sitting.
Bachelor’s Degree (BSC) minimum of Second
Class Honours (Lower Division) in any of the
science disciplines listed below.
PLUS:
Master’s degree (MSC) in any of the
under listed Science disciplines.
NYSC Discharge Certificate.
Relevant Fields of Study:
Microbiology
Biochemistry
Chemical Engineering
Industrial Chemistry
Chemistry/ Pure & Applied Chemistry/
Analytical Chemistry
Food Science & Technology.
Ability to work with basic computer applications
(e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Geographical mobility within and outside
Nigeria.
Initiative and drive.

I was referring to Nigerian Breweries per say. Must everybody has a degree too? It is relative as well. The fact remains that masters degree is not a waste. If someone has no gotten a job, going for masters degree is a good thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by deliveryboy: 11:42am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
You see that your degree of dullness has no boundary! Continue living in your illusionary world. By their fruits we shall know them. If it is very difficult for you to understand my little write up, I wonder what is making you to be feeling that you are better than me. You are a complete slowpoke judging from your assertions . Imagine a mother fucker like you saying that you can outsmart me in an examination, wake up from your slumber boy. Common sense they say is not common. Next time you see my comment, use your senses very well.

Additionally, the career path that some of us want for ourselves requires a masters degree. You can only speak for yourself and not someone like me. I am hoping that you will stop ranting after reading this or your level of ranting would increase geometrically.

You can claim to be anybody on this forum, nobody cares.

For your information, the fact that some of us are saying that we have not gotten a job does not necessarily mean that we are no working. It only mean me that we are underpaid. So get a life and stop using panadol for another man's headache.

emmahoney giving you thunder in exchange for your myopic fire.
Do you really have a masters degree or you were just joking, you write up above says otherwise, I hope you don't respond in interviews in this fashion. It is well.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by SeyiAyorinde(m): 11:45am On Aug 12, 2016
ednut1:
Anytime i hear go for your masters. I feel like slapping d person but i cant. After spending like 5-7m for uk masters some no still see work others are dragging gmat and shl test with bsc grads
The more reason I can't even imagine myself for any PG course now,I rather invest that money on a business.

2 Likes

Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by whiten: 11:45am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
I have counted one year already. Some organisations like NBC, Dangote etc now require M. Sc. for their Graduate Trainee Programmes. Those you ranting cannot even apply for such!! Very soon, M. Sc. will be the minimum academic requirement for most entry level jobs. By then, some of you will understand ;except you are ready to work for yourself.

The job that I am about to get can be attributed to the fact that I have a masters degree. It was only meant for us and not B. Sc. holders.

Oluwoooo! Earlier u go 4 ur Ph.D nw
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:48am On Aug 12, 2016
Justdulla:

Thats exactly what am saying. he doesnt know what took him there. He did his Msc cos he couldnt secure a job, that means he lacks the prequisite of a hustler. I remember I when i gate crashed an Interview last year, i discovered i was the only Bsc Holder, the rest had Msc and Mtech. But I still came out tops, the Msc holders were talking gibberish and lacking confidence, some were forming Dubai experience, but that wasnt the point. Performance and output are the indices. and am telling you most Nigerian graduates have no idea what they are doing in some jobs, they are only concerned about the salary they earn. Ave spent less than 2 years in the labour market, and I have tested 2 different jobs already, thats because i always update myself with current trends, am always reading and wanting to know more about my field and environment in general.. I dont need an Msc to be a hustler. Its in the the Blood
In your deluded mind I did not know what made me to run a masters degree. You are very insane and illogical; my career path is not yours. So your opinion is useless in my own case Continue claiming what you not or probably what you got through man know man. I know your type very well.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:50am On Aug 12, 2016
whiten:

Oluwoooo! Earlier u go 4 ur Ph.D nw
Oga nla, you know that getting a scholarship matters at this juncture.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Coldfeets: 11:51am On Aug 12, 2016
Justdulla:

What thrash are you saying that your M. sc makes you more relevant than the Bsc Holder. Make them set exam and interview for me and you nah, i will thrash you upandan. Whoever does his Msc just because of employment opportunities is a dullard as far as am concerned. That means you aint grounded or sound enough to defend your Bsc. Moreover who does Msc without a Job or a priority. I have discovered that majority of people like you just enrol for M. sc cos of job opportunitues and nothing else. The quality and the quantity of your IQ still remains stagnant.

Bros easy na abeg

Don't you know that we have so many of such dullards, sorry, I mean, so many of such people with Masters-for-job mentality even right here on Nairaland?

Do you really want to increase their frustrations, disillusionment as well as disenchantment with the Nigerian system after going through some rigorous self-inflicted torture plus horrors of acquiring more and more certificates only to find themselves still where they are? shocked

Diarisgod o abeg! So please mind how you talk to them.

But by the way, speaking of dullards, why is your moniker Justdulla? Is it short for dullard or dollar or just a dullard or something...? kiss

Anyway sha, don't mind me

Ha ha ha wink
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Tomaxzyn1(m): 11:52am On Aug 12, 2016
emmahoney:
Bro, u simply reiterated what the OP said that: the M.Sc only raises ur hopes. That is quite a realistic perspective
Speaking of relevance;
1. Your academic relevance doesn't get u d job, it's the employment letter that does.
2. Your academic qualification is only relevant to who needs it. So, don't disillusion urself with the idea of feelin more relevant than the B.Sc others. I guess u've never missed a juicy job opportunity becoz the employers see u as OVER-QUALIFIED.
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by Naturallyme: 11:53am On Aug 12, 2016
You are Deluded honestly You said and I quote""""""""Do you think that you are making sense? I do not blame you but the system that is making you to run your mouth. Next time, do not just type gibberish. Get a job and master on it as if that is how it is easy to get it. Many have not gotten a job after graduating many years ago. [b]Those of us that have gone for masters are still more relevant than them in the labour market.""""""""""
emmahoney:
Re: Obtaining Msc Only Increases Your Hope Of Getting A Job by emmahoney(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2016
deliveryboy:
Do you really have a masters degree or you were just joking, you write up above says otherwise, I hope you don't respond in interviews in this fashion. It is well.
I seem not to understand your question. Does this looks like interview session to you? Some of you will just come to a forum and be showing yourself. Get a life and stop showing your poor level of judgmental skills.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Firstbank Of Nigeria Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / Immigration Appointments: Connections 90%, And Few Luck. / N-Power: FG Deploys 176,160 Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.