Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy (23061 Views)

Bitcoin Is Retaking Its Place As King Of The Cryptocurrencies / Lagos Emerges Fifth Largest Economy In Africa / IMF Affirms Nigeria As Africa’s Biggest Economy!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by wiseone28: 8:04pm On Aug 11, 2016
We will bounce back * 2019*

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by mmsen: 8:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
Wow, people are still blaming GEJ for 18 months of mismanagement.

Buhari is a disaster, as he was first time.

I truly hope for the sake of the nation that he does not awaken tomorrow.

This level of incompetence is too much.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by luvinhubby(m): 8:11pm On Aug 11, 2016
Crude oil accounts for only 16% of Nigeria's GDP, so the crude price slump is not an excuse.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by notindome(m): 8:11pm On Aug 11, 2016
g

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by nextstep(m): 8:13pm On Aug 11, 2016
They complain that GEJ did not save. How is one supposed to rehabilitate airports, railways, roads, and electric plants, AND save at the same time? If he didn't spend on infrastructure, they would complain that he was stifling the economy. Smh

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by ALAYORMII: 8:13pm On Aug 11, 2016
chernest2002:
Remove buhari and Nigeria will get back to number one.

You guys just keep blaming Buhari

It's not the fault of the federal government that we're in this mess we're in

We failed to save for a time like this

When the oil was selling very high, we kept chopping the money without thinking about the future
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Upright750: 8:16pm On Aug 11, 2016
Emyogalanya:
1 What's goodluck doing there is he part our economic team or an economic indices?
2 ok south a that we lost out to is there economy oil/and or mono economy like ours.?
3 how about Angola that is Africa number one oil producer why is there economy not yet down/up don't know their position is it also mono economy?
Nb: if u observe na questions i ask i no get A1 for maths not to talk of being an economist i just want

ANGOLA economy is the worst in Africa tight now. Nigeria own is even better than that of ANGOLA .

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by EmekaBlue(m): 8:17pm On Aug 11, 2016
Shame on Buhari d chief certified dullard for taking away one of our pride

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by obailala(m): 8:18pm On Aug 11, 2016
Emyogalanya:
1 What's goodluck doing there is he part our economic team or an economic indices?
2 ok south a that we lost out to is there economy oil/and or mono economy like ours.?
3 how about Angola that is Africa number one oil producer why is there economy not yet down/up don't know their position is it also mono economy?
Nb: if u observe na questions i ask i no get A1 for maths not to talk of being an economist i just want
1. If Mr A picks up a knife and pierce Mr B's heart today, then Mr B gives up the ghost after doctors battled to save him for a week, does it make any logical sense to you to say the doctors are solely responsible for his death?... Saying Jonathan is not in the economic team is as illogical as claiming Mr A has no question to answer.

2. South Africa doesn't have oil as their source of income, so this question about SA and oil is strange

3. Ignorance is the only reason why anyone would be asking why the economy of Angola is not upside down. A little google search would reveal how bastardised Angola's economy is presently; of all the countries having oil as their main source of income, Nigeria seems to even be doing best in the present oil price crisis.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by President99: 8:29pm On Aug 11, 2016
GEJ is the root caused of all these problems.If he had saved like OBJ saved, Nig would have been better. but the Otuoke clown was busy dishing out our hard earned FOREX to Dasuki, Fayose n the likes.
GEJ met over $68B+crude oil sold over $100 per barrel for most part of his tenure yet he couldnot save.
Anyway, the gele woman has recently said all, that their inability to save for rainy day caused the present economic woes
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by madridsta007(m): 8:31pm On Aug 11, 2016
ijustdey:

https://www.thecable.ng/oil-naira-5-reasons-why-nigeria-lost-its-place-as-africas-largest-economy

"Only a year after coming a power, Buhari's honeymood period was over. The economy languished under the pressure of crushing external debt; unemployment and inflation still soared despute tough austerity measures; and the military was becoming increasingly authoritarian when dealing with its opponents...."

"...this made the Buhari leadership appear myopic and politically directionless [the focus on WAI and not the economic and dearth of democracy in Nigeria]. The ethnic and religious composition of Buhari's SMC also concerned southerners. Although the SMC's membership was increased to 21, virtually all of its senior positions were held by northern Muslims..."

-Max Siollun, Soldiers of Fortune (c) 2013.

If only Nigerians read books, they would not have allowed this misfortune come upon them. Cut the puerile blame games please. This was Buhari in 1983-1984, this is Buhari now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by CallMeNJay: 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2016
PROPHECY..
“The choice before Nigerians in the coming elections is simple:
- A choice between going forward or going backwards;
-between the old ways and the new ways; between freedom and repression;
-between a record of visible achievements and beneficial reforms – and desperate power-seekers with empty promises.”
– Fmr President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
(Abuja, Sat, 10 Dec 2014.)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Felixtuta(m): 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2016
Why won't Nigeria loss its place to south Africa, when the present administration is busy blaming PDP for wasting 16 years.

If the president adopted some of the past administration active ministers and nation building policy, someone like me would have said that Buhari administration means well for the nation.

Look at where APC pride has landed us to, if things remain the same, which I don't pray for, Nigeria will still drop down.

As far as I can see, the present government is very confuse.

God help us.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by franklynsunny(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
@ops n d write up
U all are fooool
D truth iss is BUHA-RAID
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Ugosample(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
Are they still blaming Jonathan? na wa o

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Ndolarr: 9:31pm On Aug 11, 2016
I keep saying it that Jonathan and his marauding gang, including Okonjo Iweala, brought Nigeria to this sorry pass! They messed up big time and the effect will surely take time to clear. Just recall how Jonathan came to South West early 2015 spending dollars like a drunken sailor!! Nigerians blaming Buhari for the current mess have a short memory indeed. They should turn to Jonathan and ask him to bring back all the dollars frittered away including the ones shared to Niger Delta Militants as alleged yesterday by MEND. Jonathan should stop parading himself as a Stateman or a respected leader of the Commonwealth Election Monitoring Group. It is sickening. We are all in this Jonathan inflicted mess, so we should roll up our sleeves and support Buhari and Osinbajo to revive the economy. Indeed, we should stop importing items we can produce here so as to save the naira! Ironically, I will say to all those complaining - Goodluck to you all!!!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by striker9(m): 9:45pm On Aug 11, 2016
Ndolarr:
I keep saying it that Jonathan and his marauding gang, including Okonjo Iweala, brought Nigeria to this sorry pass! They messed up big time and the effect will surely take time to clear. Just recall how Jonathan came to South West early 2015 spending dollars like a drunken sailor!! Nigerians blaming Buhari for the current mess have a short memory indeed. They should turn to Jonathan and ask him to bring back all the dollars frittered away including the ones shared to Niger Delta Militants as alleged yesterday by MEND. Jonathan should stop parading himself as a Stateman or a respected leader of the Commonwealth Election Monitoring Group. It is sickening. We are all in this Jonathan inflicted mess, so we should roll up our sleeves and support Buhari and Osinbajo to revive the economy. Indeed, we should stop importing items we can produce here so as to save the naira! Ironically, I will say to all those complaining - Goodluck to you all!!!
You should know people from SS and SE don't like hearing its GEJ s fault, they believe he did nothing wrong. Well I blame Buhari,he started really slow considering the fact that things were fast going south for naija...I pray God help us
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by bakynes(m): 9:51pm On Aug 11, 2016
Ndolarr:

No matter how much you explain to these wailers/IPOB/SS/SE wannabes they will never listen. They have already programmed their minds to blame Buhari for the present economic woes.

They know Oil is our mainstay for the Economy, they know the Oil price has crashed seriously, they are the ones cheering the Militants to keep bombing Pipelines, they know that NOI said this time will come because we refused to save in the days of Oil boom, they know their master GEJ left the foreign reserves almost empty but they will keep blaming Buhari.

So let them wail we are all in this together, its all about sentiments for them, they hate the Northerners even if they see an honest one, even if buhari takes us to the promise land they will forever hate him because their minds is programmed that way,for the reasonable people lets keep praying for our president to steer this country out of this recession.

Note* I voted Goodluck Jonathan in 2011 and Buhari in 2015 and if given the chance to choose who to vote again between PMB and GEJ i will choose PMB over and Over again.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Chukazu: 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2016
Emyogalanya:

Angola shouldn't be in equation because they are not competing with Nigeria in the light of been the biggest economy in africa, besides Angola equally suffers from low revenue from crude oil sales secondly it has a massive sovereign wealth fund that is five times bigger than Nigeria's, and with a lesser population also comes with less responsibility
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by MPSA(m): 10:20pm On Aug 11, 2016
The reason why Nigeria is no2, is because of ''GDP Office'' grin, Early this year South Africa was no 3, Egypt 2, and Nigeria 1 grin Few months later, The same Office came with another story, We(SA) are now no 1, Nigeria 2, and Egypt 3. I don't buy this GDP story anymore. In 2014 they said Nigeria is no 1 because of mobil phones, now they are talking about strong Rand, few months from now the are going to talk about the cabbage of Ithopia/ kenya, this GDP People are useless undecided. I can't celebrate for 2min like NIGERIANS. Now I understand how this useless GDP works grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Emyogalanya: 10:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
I just ask to know not for insults
on
2how come sa is able to overtake nigerian economy without oil can't we replicate sa while combining it with our oyel wealth if sa can overtake us without oil and Angola is still worse than us with more oil it means apc is lying to us about dwindling oil revenues that's bad enough
obailala:

1. If Mr A picks up a knife and pierce Mr B's heart today, then Mr B gives up the ghost after doctors battled to save him for a week, does it make any logical sense to you to say the doctors are solely responsible for his death?... Saying Jonathan is not in the economic team is as illogical as claiming Mr A has no question to answer.

2. South Africa doesn't have oil as their source of income, so this question about SA and oil is strange

3. Ignorance is the only reason why anyone would be asking why the economy of Angola is not upside down. A little google search would reveal how bastardised Angola's economy is presently; of all the countries having oil as their main source of income, Nigeria seems to even be doing best in the present oil price crisis.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by EzeNri(m): 10:56pm On Aug 11, 2016
The zombies will alwz find way to smuggle GEJ into their blame game.

I blame Cassandra and the change chanting demons.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by ooshinibos: 11:16pm On Aug 11, 2016
the reason is because there no electricity infrastructure in Nigeria , No country in the world can develop without electricity , we have been telling you for the past 400 years .....this electricity that you refuse to fix should have been done before all these policies you listed above . am sorry , its the truth ..you cannot rely on those noisy generators , its just not reality , that's the truth , you need to fix this lack of electricity , you are 400 years late , its annoying
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by ooshinibos: 11:17pm On Aug 11, 2016
ijustdey:

https://www.thecable.ng/oil-naira-5-reasons-why-nigeria-lost-its-place-as-africas-largest-economy

the reason is because there no electricity infrastructure in Nigeria , No country in the world can develop without electricity , we have been telling you for the past 400 years .....this electricity that you refuse to fix should have been done before all these policies you listed above . am sorry , its the truth ..you cannot rely on those noisy generators , its just not reality , that's the truth , you need to fix this lack of electricity , you are 400 years late , its annoying
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by justy15: 11:21pm On Aug 11, 2016
we have only seen a government that is out on vendetta mission, northernization of the country if not why should a government willing to diversify planning to sunk billions of dollars again in the north east to explore oil
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by bashydemy1: 12:03am On Aug 12, 2016
God bless OP for this write up, Sone of haters want magic for what their hero damage.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Bluffly: 12:27am On Aug 12, 2016
chernest2002:
Remove buhari and Nigeria will get back to number one.
Cosmetically as usual
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Godson32(m): 12:43am On Aug 12, 2016
5 reasons: Buhari,badhari,bubuhari,Buhari,bakahari.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by ussy09(m): 4:56am On Aug 12, 2016
I keep wondering if is pmb ruling or Jonathan.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by obailala(m): 8:57am On Aug 12, 2016
Emyogalanya:
I just ask to know not for insults
on
2how come sa is able to overtake nigerian economy without oil can't we replicate sa while combining it with our oyel wealth if sa can overtake us without oil and Angola is still worse than us with more oil it means apc is lying to us about dwindling oil revenues that's bad enough
Nigeria is blessed with oil, but the oil turned out to be a curse as it made us as a nation to abandon every other means of income generation and relied only on oil.

How come SA was able to overtake Nigeria even without oil?
Ans: There are very very many sources of income for nations besides oil, SA relies on several other sources for its income. If only Nigeria diversified its economy to other sources of income e.g. solid minerals, agriculture, etc., we wouldn't have been in the present mess we find ourselves today.

How did SA overtake Nigeria?
Ans: Nigeria's economy is tied to oil, as soon as oil prices began to drop, so did Nigeria's economy, our GDP and the value of the naira.

As at January 2016 when the official Naira rate was N200 to $1, if you had N100,000, it means you were worth $500. But as soon as the Naira was devalued by almost 50% in June to N300 to $1, it means you are now worth only $333 instead of %500. Nigeria's GDP was worth over $500bn, the devaluation instantly reduced it to ~$296bn, making it less than the $301bn of SA.

Why is Angola worse off than Nigeria even though they sell more oil?
Ans: Oil is worthless almost presently; Angola makes almost 97% of its income from oil; Nigeria makes roughly about just 90% from oil. We also have other little sources, e.g. cocoa, Ugu exports etc. We can't also rule out the bad leadership of Angola.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Aubrey1(m): 9:11am On Aug 12, 2016
The fact speaks for themselves and the verdict is clear, GEJ is an overtaker not an undertaker.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 12, 2016
Felixtuta:
Why won't Nigeria loss its place to south Africa, when the present administration is busy blaming PDP for wasting 16 years.

If the president adopted some of the past administration active ministers and nation building policy, someone like me would have said that Buhari administration means well for the nation.

Look at where APC pride has landed us to, if things remain the same, which I don't pray for, Nigeria will still drop down.

As far as I can see, the present government is very confuse.

God help us.
Well said. The present government is totally confused, with no well defined economic direction. What can I say..we are being led by the chief commander of the cattle kingdom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Receive Money From Abroad Via Wire Transfer Into Your Domiciliary Account / Is The Naira Redesign Policy Defeated? / Crypto Exchanges Stop Selling USDT/USDC In Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.