Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,589 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips (22168 Views)

Why Buhari Was ‘Banned’ From Entering U.S. For 15 Years — Atiku / Isaac Fayose With His Son, Oyinbo Wife & His Mother, Victoria Olufunke Oluwayose / Olufunke Kolawole Murdered In Abuja (Osun Permanent Secretary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by maasoap(m): 10:08am On Aug 12, 2016
KwaraRat:

If you like still go ahead and vote the dullard and see if you will recognise Nigeria afterwards.
You can't dictate to South West, we voted for Jonathan in 2011 and we became your enemy number one because we dared criticise Jonathan for aiding corruption. At least, Northerners have not been raining abuse on us, they are better than you guys by all standard. My family will vote for Buhari again, no tribalism, no ethnicity, no emotions, just what is best for me and the country.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by OlujobaSamuel: 10:11am On Aug 12, 2016
Handsomecole:
Nobody hated GEJ but rather his mode of governance. It was visible to the blind and audible to the deaf that Gej's govt and the PDP was corrupt and embezzling our treasury. Nigeria was like a HIV patient that was feeding and looking physically healthy.

It wasn't a mistake voting out GEJ and the PDP, they were never and option and will never be an option come 2019, not with the revelations. There was nothing personal with GEJ.

As for Buhari just like the OP's post indicated we had no choice.

It's about time we Nigerians begin to look at other political parties and personalities and be ready to take the bold step.
I will suggest a 2party system + independent candidacy. all dis adoption of party A candidate after collecting from the treasury is irritating to me
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by KwaraRat: 10:13am On Aug 12, 2016
maasoap:

You can't dictate to South West, we voted for Jonathan in 2011 and we became your enemy number one because we dared criticise Jonathan for aiding corruption. At least, Northerners have not been raining abuse on us, they are better than you guys by all standard. My family will vote for Buhari again, no tribalism, no ethnicity, no emotions, just what is best for me and the country.

If you like vote for Shekau how does that concern us in the better south.

Our agitation isn't for who we vote for into the central govt but for a return to true fiscal autonomy.

In this regard, you will be advised that your Treacherous back stabbing of 2015 was not your conscious doing but that of one greedy convicted drug feign kleptomaniac teleguiding you jealous plebs to vote a despot.

You can vote buhari for life president that one is your own prerogative.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Delegate(m): 10:14am On Aug 12, 2016
nnachukz:
It was inevitable to those whose reasoning was covered by pure hatred for GEJ. Those who searched for perfection from a human but ended up embracing the devil just to mock the humans.

Hatred because of His numerous achievement...Buhari was never a better option but if I have the chance to vote again and again I ll choose Buhari over the national hero that also accepted that he fail in every region where he campaign

2 Likes

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by junnyjake(m): 10:15am On Aug 12, 2016
knightsTempler:
Some people need to be reminded that Goodluck Jonathan is gone and he is not coming back. So no need to keep running in circles, looking for excuses to defend Buhari and why Jonathan was not an option. Don't feel threatened.

What should threaten you is an Economy that is moving haphazardly without direction under this regime which have increase hardship and suffering.

So when next you buy a bucket of Garri for 800, a bag of rice for N20,000, fuel for N145 (that might soon become N180), cooking gas for N4,000, Kerosene for N300; keep saying "GEJ wasn't an option".

When your family members lament to you about how things have become worse, tell them "GEJ wasn't an option" because it makes you feel good.

Iranu!!!

God bless you man.

Good morning

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by repogirl(f): 10:16am On Aug 12, 2016
The Buhari you voted for hasn't come up with any bright plans, still using GEJs ideas (TSA, subsidy etc.), his corruption war hasn't positively changed anything in the economy or even reduced the corruption, instead we are hearing padding, huge nepotism and so on. The economy is in shambles, even establishments like the Agric sector and fertiliser companies which were revived and running smoothly are now being threatened to fail again.

So what exactly did GEJ do to you except the northern agenda that was Bokoharam, strengthened and equipped to displace a government that was doing well before this buffoon entered.

Note that Nigeria pushed aside south Africa to take the position of the strongest economy in Africa in 2014, despite the fact that oil prices falling at the time. To achieve that position, did it come for free? Dont you have to invest money into the economy to see it boom? And some buffoons will be saying he didn't save.

Even if there was money surplus and lying around, Buhari would have still destroyed everything just as he is siphoning money looking for oil that hasn't been found in 30 years as if there arent priorities. Is that his idea of diversification?

This is all just a repeat performance of his failed attempt at leading the country in 1984. If not that our economy has been somewhat diversified, we would have been queuing on the streets for rations of salt, milk and sugar. He simply cannot give what he doesn't have.

You people owe Nigerians a huge apology because things were working before you people foisted a useless government on us and people who have brains know this. Not the brainless zombies.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Delegate(m): 10:17am On Aug 12, 2016
[quote author=KwaraRat post=48406198][/quote]

An advice for you rather than wasting hour typing this crap don't you think it might be better if you get up and start doing something for yourself and your family.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by saintdennis(m): 10:18am On Aug 12, 2016
splenzard:
it was inevitable because we didn't value what we had we rather had ourselves believing in promises that were too good to be true.

Come 2019, I would rather vote KOWA than make the same mistake twice angry

Have u forgotten PMB first duty as presido was ADMINISTERING A BAIL-OUT TO OVER 16STATES

If gej was so good how come so many states even ECONOMICALLY STRONG STATES needed bail-out?

Nigerians and memory problems. I really pray our education sector improves cos graduates behaving like kids who don't remember their adolescence.
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Handsomecole(m): 10:21am On Aug 12, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

I will suggest a 2party system + independent candidacy. all dis adoption of party A candidate after collecting from the treasury is irritating to me

That's also a nice suggestion. The issue is if Nigerians are ready we can take our destiny into our hands. But it's a cycle, the vicious cycle of poverty also makes it difficult for the poor masses to break away from the wealthy juggernauts of these major political parties. Because come during elections they have money to spend during campaigns in all aspects from media, stomach infrastructure, connections etc.

Don't forget our well renowned and respected lawyer activist "Gani Fawehimi" once contested elections in this country even "Tunji Braithwaits" did anybosy even notice of even hear them out?? "No"!!! And u ask why?? Their political party did not have "money" to throw around.

Like I said until we the poor masses (which obviously) are more populated than the rich ones are ready to damn the consequences and vote for unique individual parties and individuals things may not "change" for good or best.
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by junnyjake(m): 10:22am On Aug 12, 2016
4Play:

What makes you confident you can vote out Buhari?
Which is a sentiment I also share.
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by junnyjake(m): 10:22am On Aug 12, 2016
4Play:

What makes you confident you can vote out Buhari?
Which is a sentiment I also share.
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by madridsta007(m): 10:23am On Aug 12, 2016
Merlissa:
I was browsing through facebook and I came upon this write up and I totally agree with her.. .

What's your take? ?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153669151871367&id=657356366&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10153669151871367%3Atl_objid.10153669151871367%3Athid.657356366%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1472713199%3A8254272089278323911&__tn__=%2As

I do not blame the writer of this piece. Unfortunately, it is this shallowness of thought, parochialism of ideals— if one should glorify this as an ideal— and this apparent ignorance of democracy that continues to belabour Nigeria's every step.

First, this writer— and this is glorifying construct as well— supposes that there were only two candidates. Of course there weren't. They were more than 10 if I recall. The writer builds her piece on this main story— the absolute duality in options— which is disingenuous, ahistorical, misleading and completely anti-democratic. Or is this writer exposing her own weakness in examining the capabilities of the other candidates— that is if she knows other candidates did exist?

Secondly, even if there were only two candidates, the writer fails to present the reason why she voted, or 'they'— as her narrative suggests that there's an organised bloc— the President. Was it on the basis of proven competence, intellectualism and result-orientedness, important attributes needed in 21st century leadership? Or was the votes merely a protest vote? Or is the reason more cynical and sentimental— perhaps the reason for her inability to explain what drove her and her likes to vote?

Thirdly, the tone of the whole piece suggests quite strongly, that there's some regret and anger— which is understandable. Why did the writer fail to elucidate the reasons for the anger? Of course we know the reason. Economic recession, relentless nepotism, rampant poverty, directionless and cluelessness are terrible reasons enough to drive an anger.

Enough reasons to cause a regret.

But of course the proud Nigerian never offers a regret in public. Extreme pride, I dare say, hence the embarrassing addendum, "I will vote the same way if given the chance." Pride is as bad as any human behaviour. Extreme pride is foolishness.

No, voting for a failure wasn't inevitable. Life is never that harsh. It is your display of foolishness that was inevitable.

Enjoy the change. When you are serious, you and your likes, Nigeria will change.

(NB: Interestingly, I know the writer. I am sure many do. One of the "social media influencers"/ change agents of the APC. The rice at the Aso Villa is fast loosing its potency)

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 12, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Yorubas be trying very hard to justify their glaring failures. You made a heck of a mistake, bite the humble pie, apologize and move on, mbanu, never! Coming down from their high horse is a onerous task.
Saying a simple "sorry" is an abomination.
Let's tell ourselves the bitter truth, yorubas voted out the last administration cos they didn't like the face of the man in power, they couldn't just fathom any other than a SW or Northerner in power. But just like in the case of Mandela, whose greatness shone brighter after he left power, the same now applies to the immediate past president. Whom God has blessed, no man can cause.
We know you guys made a mistake by preferring a dullard to be ur leader and we're seeing the obvious effect, buh stop with the justification of your inadequacies and errors of judgment, Nigeria has moved on long ago.
And if you still feel haunted by your past action (esp as the hunger is biting harder [boy! no one eats like the yorubas], and you can't reconcile urself with the realities of today) , then knock urself out with this.......

Hate !!! wit wus help dd jonathan bcame a vice president in first place,, in a party lik pdp then controlled largely b d northerners,,,wit wus help was power handed ova to jonathan wen yaradua died,,with wus help dd jonathan win d election bck in 2011,,hope its nt d south west?? must av bin d easterners all along supporting jonathan jus wondering y dey culd nt singlehandedly vote in back ...wat is difficult in thinkin b4 u talk ?
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by greatmen: 10:33am On Aug 12, 2016
If you like vote for Ben landen, they don't need to rain abuses your a slave already u were conquered years ago by your elders who sold their birthright I hope your enjoying the change grin grin grin
maasoap:

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 12, 2016
In democracy there is always gonna be somebody who will say what people want to hear, no matter how absurd and unrealistic.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by ajibowo11(m): 10:40am On Aug 12, 2016
[quote author=KwaraRat post=48406198][/quote]will like to chat u pls pm me on whatssapp 07086967281
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Hemanwel(m): 10:42am On Aug 12, 2016
nnachukz:
It was inevitable to those whose reasoning was covered by pure hatred for GEJ. Those who searched for perfection from a human but ended up embracing the devil just to mock the humans.
Best comment!And the hatred for GEJ only came because they alleged he sidelined their region (SW) in his administration.
Now I know why the SW have been silent in this present clueless maladministration - they are doing so so that they don't get mocked by those who'd rejected GMB

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by mmsen: 10:47am On Aug 12, 2016
Anyone who felt compelled to vote for Buhari is irresponsible and foolish.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by ebakhaiyhe(m): 10:49am On Aug 12, 2016
Making a mistake is one thing, but rising up to justify the mistake is another thing altogether.
The Jews crucified Jesus on the basis of the overwhelming propaganda by the scribes and leaders which the people who shouted Hosanna the previous days readily accepted.
I would not blame anyone for supporting this government to come to power, but to continue to justify such acts is what I cannot comprehend in view of the overwhelming indices of lack of governing skills. Good does not come out of good but out of terrifying situations.
The overwhelming propaganda of this government brought them to power, though I couldn't vote, I would not have voted for this government.
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Delegate(m): 10:49am On Aug 12, 2016
KwaraRat:

Apply your useless advice to yourself.

You jam your paddy for inside ashewoe house you dey advice am not to fck ashewoe again.

I see how you get work pass me because you jam me dey post for NL.

If you no get work, then no say some of us no be like you.

Omo ale

E pain am o
odun
Rat direct your energy to something positive rather than typing 15 page project on Nairaland about GEJ your hero that milk the country dry.
Grow up itz just an advice no need for childish tantrum
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by wristbangle: 10:49am On Aug 12, 2016
splenzard:
it was inevitable because we didn't value what we had we rather had ourselves believing in promises that were too good to be true.

Come 2019, I would rather vote KOWA than make the same mistake twice angry

A very valid point at the bolded. Meanwhile the way PDP was leading Nigeria, it seems the country maybe fixed on OLX for sales. At the moment APC is further taking this country to pit.

At least for once, the voice and vote of the people speak during the last election which same thing will repeat itself by 2019.

By God's grace then, I will soundly vote for KOWA when the time comes.

Hemanwel:
Best comment!And the hatred for GEJ only came because they alleged he sidelined their region (SW) in his administration.
Now I know why the SW have been silent in this present clueless maladministration - they are doing so so that they don't get mocked by those who'd rejected GMB

Recall that 2011, SW voted for GEJ massively. It's not about political marginalisation, it's about how clueless the ineffectual buffoon was Leading Nigeria to. South west ain't quiet about this issue, afterall what can you say about some yoruba nobles who are voicing their dissatisfaction over this tenure. You SS/SE don't need to tell us we are quiet because we know what to do when 2019 comes.

liveshady:

why can't Nigeria vote a new party

Because Nigerians are use to sufferings. Those who will be voting for PDP by 2019 will have themselves blame becos PDP only cares about their pocket.

My dear, KOWA party is there. Let's vote for her.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 12, 2016
viickerz:
Change
why can't Nigeria vote a new party
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Hemanwel(m): 10:56am On Aug 12, 2016
maasoap:

Bros,you and I know that you didn't vote out GEJ cos he was corrupt; you voted against him cos you alleged he sidelined your region.If he'd given you people all the juicy appointments like PMB is doing today,you guys wouldn't have tagged him a "corrupt leader".Now that you have voted in the "incorruptible" Saint Buhari,are you still seeing the money you accused GEJ of amassing to spend?
The corruption PMB is fighting today using BVN and TSA came from who?
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by flokii: 10:56am On Aug 12, 2016
It was inevitable. True

The former was just a stooge, an ingrate that sidelined the kingmakers to seek favour from those who rejected him.. Evryone went back to d table and he got served.

Moreover he could no longer be trusted with our yams cheesy
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by nnofaith: 11:07am On Aug 12, 2016
Nigerians need to get it in their head that they are in recession cos of financial crisis, crude oil prices more than halved, you have no savings and you have a huge pile of debt you are servicing, no economic genius can get you out of this crisis over night. what you are experiencing right now is a culmination of years of mismanagement, except you want to lie to yourselves (i know you guys enjoy doing that) you are not getting out of this any time soon except of course you want to dig us further in to the hole and postpone the evil day. what we need right now is to carefully navigate ourselves away from this crisis by being prudent with our lean resources and make investments in structures that we help diversify our economy.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by systemz(m): 11:12am On Aug 12, 2016
knightsTempler:
Some people need to be reminded that Goodluck Jonathan is gone and he is not coming back. So no need to keep running in circles, looking for excuses to defend Buhari and why Jonathan was not an option. Don't feel threatened.

What should threaten you is an Economy that is moving haphazardly without direction under this regime which have increase hardship and suffering.

So when next you buy a bucket of Garri for 800, a bag of rice for N20,000, fuel for N145 (that might soon become N180), cooking gas for N4,000, Kerosene for N300; keep saying "GEJ wasn't an option".

When your family members lament to you about how things have become worse, tell them "GEJ wasn't an option" because it makes you feel good.

Iranu!!!
Epic!
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Israeljones(m): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2016
buchilino:

LETS B PRACTICAL N REASONABLE 4 NOW. I WILL JUST ASK U ONE QUESTION. IF U WERE GIVEN D CHOICE OF DEALING WITH A THIEF N D OTHER PERSON IS A SECTIONAL N A RELIGIOUS BIGOTS. WHICH OF D TWO WOULD U CHOICE 2 DEAL WITH?.

I will never reply yu untill yu start thinking..
Pls who is a thief and who r the religious bigots pls..

Pls be objective and make ur point with a significant proof...
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 12, 2016
Watch the wailers self-service all over on this nonsense thread.

BUHARI till 2023.
Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Poweredbreww: 11:28am On Aug 12, 2016
[s]
sapiosexual1:
Yorubas be trying very hard to justify their glaring failures. You made a heck of a mistake, bite the humble pie, apologize and move on, mbanu, never! Coming down from their high horse is a onerous task.
Saying a simple "sorry" is an abomination.
Let's tell ourselves the bitter truth, yorubas voted out the last administration cos they didn't like the face of the man in power, they couldn't just fathom any other than a SW or Northerner in power. But just like in the case of Mandela, whose greatness shone brighter after he left power, the same now applies to the immediate past president. Whom God has blessed, no man can cause.
We know you guys made a mistake by preferring a dullard to be ur leader and we're seeing the obvious effect, buh stop with the justification of your inadequacies and errors of judgment, Nigeria has moved on long ago.
And if you still feel haunted by your past action (esp as the hunger is biting harder [boy! no one eats like the yorubas], and you can't reconcile urself with the realities of today) , then knock urself out with this.......
[/s]

Trash from an hateful being. What about the SW votes of 2011? What about the 40% votes he got last year from the SW. Bigots like you are pure disgrace to sane human being, I am sure GEJ staunch supporters from the SW will clap for you for spewing this trash. Pathetic

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by CoolFreeday(m): 11:33am On Aug 12, 2016
This is one of the best write up I've read for a long time now.
I'm a supporter of buhari and I will remain one until I see a better option.
Yes he might not be the best but right now am yet to see a better candidate amongst our politicians

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Voting For Buhari Was Inevitable - Olufunke Phillips by Ugosample(m): 11:40am On Aug 12, 2016
agabusta:

And the peeps opposed to Buhari are still yet to attain political maturity. They think it's by abuses and half truths. Despite all the abuses and half truths of pre 2015 elections, Buhari still won.

Exactly same mistake PDP made by focusing on abuses instead of showing better alternatives.

If it continues this way, Buhari may still win 2nd term with the help of the south west. The SW voters are less emotional and sentimental. People opposed to Buhari are just too emotional emphatically refusing to acknowledge the foundation of the economic problems we are having now.

Just watch how they will respond with abuses to this my post.

These SW guys like over estimating their importance in Nigerian politics.....
So in the last elections, you think Buhari would have won without winning Kwara, Kogi, Benue and Plateau; D cheesy

With the way Fulani herdsmen have dealt a deadly blow to the middle belt, they would never vote a herdsmen for second term.
And if course, the SE/SS would never vote a herdsman too, even if they have to vote another northerner over him.
And that is 11 states against SW 6.
The core north will be split because PDP will adopt a northern candidate too; At least that candidate will win his state, and the States around him.
With all these happening, you think the SW has the way alone grin

Anyways, all these ones are speculation, let God keep us alive till 2019.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fani-Kayode Asks Osinbajo To Resign As Vice President / Borno 2023: You Are A Nobody – Zulum Replies PDP Governorship Candidate / Shekau Appears To Be Alive In Newly Released Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.