Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,452 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! (764 Views)

Poll: WHICH IS BETTER or prefered?? thank you.

Hypernigeria.com: 100% (3 votes)
naijahood.com: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Comedy Website Name Suggestions / Every English Word Is Already Taken As A Domain/website Name / What's In A (website's) Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by gentysho(m): 9:52am On Sep 25, 2009
Hey!!  a user once put up a thread complaining why too many nigerian site rely so much on the word " NAIJA" in their website name, we also have lots of site with naira this naira that (after nairaland or course).

THE main reason for this thread is i need y'all's  CANDID opinion on the issue of a website name   
a friend of mine needs to name his site (a nigerian forum )[/b]but he has to decide on either [b]naijahood.com or hypernigeria.com      Which do you guys think is better?? i have asked a number of guys ,some says hypernigeria sounds more mature, and argue that there are too many sites that are using the word naija. others said naijahoodsounds more funky and will be a better name for the forum. DOES IT REALLY MATTER??   PLEASE YOUR OPINION WILL BE RESPCTED> thanks
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by kolitos007: 10:11am On Sep 25, 2009
Hello gentysho, you have raised a really good point here, most of the websites I have don't have the word naija, to me naija is a slang used by younger people, which means that you are going to narrow the number of people you are trying to hit.

Naming a website is one of the most important things you have to do, as it defines every thing about the purpose of your website, but one thing you should take into account is search engines, especially google, I am sure that most people that use google will search for word like "Nigeria" more times than "naija", using "Nigeria" in your website name is a way of optimising your website and could at the long run give you good position on google.

I hope this helps you, but for me I would take the word hypernigeria.com as it has more benefits than naijahood
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by gentysho(m): 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2009
Thanks man, true the word naija appeals mostly to the younger generation more. still waiting for the takes of others. if they have dofferent opinion.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by yawatide(f): 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2009
I would go with neither name as they don't tell me much about what your site does. I would also refrain from "naija" as to me, it sound ghetto - "Nigeria" sounds more professional, especially if you plan on targeting non-Nigerians, who may not know anything about "naija".

good luck!
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by kolitos007: 7:51pm On Sep 25, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

I would go with neither name as they don't tell me much about what your site does. I would also refrain from "naija" as to me, it sound ghetto - "Nigeria" sounds more professional, especially if you plan on targeting non-Nigerians, who may not know anything about "naija".

good luck!

Wow, impressed, good points you have made here, i second that.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by gentysho(m): 8:23pm On Sep 25, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

good luck!
Becos they dont tell you much about what the site does? what does the name nairaland, google or yahoo tell you about what the resective sites does? well hyernigeria has got patrotism to Nigeria written over it, and naijahood has got life in Nigeria wrritten all over it. so on the assertion of the name telling exactly what the site does i dont think that one is valid. thanks all the same.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by kolitos007: 8:25pm On Sep 25, 2009
@gentysho

Yeah you are right, it shouldn't matter, oh well i will still go for hypernigeria cus it sounds ok.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by yawatide(f): 9:00pm On Sep 25, 2009
genty:
You (and other who think similarly) can't keep hiding behind the "what would google/yahoo/etc do" cloak.  If you had asked me the same question about nairaland et al, I would give you the same answer.  Please note that I said, "to me" which implies that I don't speak for everyone.

By the way, there is research out which states that people tend to remember names that don't make sense and names that have 2 syllables.  So though I couldn't guess what google does, the name sticks and cos of its product, I am more likely to remember it.

Go create your site and if it is catchy for me, I will remember it.  Go ahead, prove me wrong and I will be the first to kiss your feet.  Till then, you asked for my opinion and I gave it to you. 

kolitos:
you are like a blade of elephant grass in an open field - you change your mind every time the wind blows. get a spine - make a decision, good or bad, and stick to it tongue
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by gentysho(m): 9:22am On Sep 28, 2009
@yawa-ti-de
Haba!! madam yawa, i respect your opinion, i only gave examples of sites i could reember instanta Google only hapened to be one of them. anyway your opinion was in two parts and the second was the most imortant to me, so by the time HYPER TENSION NIGERIA.com starts making nigerians proud- i wont be proving you wrong but will remember you as some inteligent web geek. grin grin grin

@ Kolitos007

Aunty Yawa only misunderstood where you stand, you guys were saying the same thing, i dont really know what is the issue with all these african web gurus- too much PHP,DHTML, one thing two thing just did not allow her to know we are together. six and half dozen na the same.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by kolitos007: 10:17am On Sep 28, 2009
@gentysho, yeah that is so true, I understand your points and I see reason to it, yawa can't see the pictures, her eyes are blocked by all the php that is blocking her view and so it can't go pass that.

For me I see things with regards to its marketing value a well and the opportunity to optimise the site.

@yawa
Is it a shame that am not as rigid as you are, what this topic or is about its not about mathematics where you only have one answer its either right or wrong, but this is all about seeing different views to it, you made some good points, which i thought was cool, but then gentysho made points that I thought was more valid and hence I accepted is points. In this case there is no right and wrong, so just open your eyes ok.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by yawatide(f): 11:28am On Sep 28, 2009
nice insults kolitos. keep it up cool
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by kolitos007: 11:42am On Sep 28, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

nice insults kolitos. keep it up cool
Hehe, but i am not trying to insult you though, I think you cool, and I do like your views, sometimes they are out of this world, and sometimes they are just great to hear.
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by gentysho(m): 11:52am On Sep 28, 2009
@kolitos007
sometimes out of this world as in-----em like star trek and other times good to hear like------sound of music? grin grin eh? no joke with Yawa o, to her coding is like poetry, unlike *DHTML that thinks coding is puzzle

Anyways back to the thread------- more comments please. thanks grin
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by yawatide(f): 11:58am On Sep 28, 2009
and hence the insults wink

Since as they say, respect is reciprocal, it therefore follows (to me, at least based on my out of this world thinking) that its opposite is also reciprocal cool
Re: What Is In A Website Name Please Help With This! by kolitos007: 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2009
I don't know what to say gentysho just twisted my words and made it even better hehe

(1) (Reply)

The Form <label> Tag (its Usefulness) / Search Engine Optimization - 7 Lessons From Nairaland (part 1) / Bulk Sms At Cheap Rates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.