Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic (851 Views)

David Aremu Oluwafemi, Lecturer In Gay Scandal At College Of Agriculture, Ibadan / “I Wore This To School & My Lecturer Called Me A Tout” – Lady (photo) / See The 7 Things I Did In Order To Understand My Lecturer In Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by jamepatrick: 6:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by supersaz66(m): 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2016
Make I book space keep
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by shadeyinka(m): 6:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
jamepatrick:
I am a student in Delta State. I finished my OND in a polytechnic here also. Although going to school was tough since I had to get at most 3k or 10k a month for up keep (textbooks and feeding inclusive). After graduating I got IT in a Nigerian company where I first learned a lot about IT technologies like CISCO. It was in one of their laptops i saw training videos and watched them to learn CISCO Networking(CCNA, CCNP). It was the first time i was able to watch a video and learn online. Later on I started looking into internet business. I got a job for a US based company and currently I have 5 people under me making me a Boss. Now I decided just to try and get my HND but am having issues with this new school. My former school (where I did my ND) 1st semester recorded 2.90 (1 carryover), 2nd semester 2.95, 3rd semester (2.80), 4th semester (2.70). Now this new school I went to I noticed a lot of things being done wrongly.

The lecturers looked like they were using test book for assessment (they asked students to write text book number in their exam sheet and test scripts) and even some assignments have to be submitted only when you bought text books which I intentionally didn't buy.

The results were bad. Even though I know am not the best I got 1.38(And just 1 carryover) while others who had 4 carryover had 1.7 as GP

Now looking at it I am a programmer who works in a US company(have experience in java(android & desktop), html and PHP) so I can barely see why the results came out like that especially in a computer science department where I seem to be far ahead of the lecturers and students. Everyone I talked to said you nor see them nai cause am. I even went to see one of the lecturer who admitted it was because I did not buy his text book that was why she gave me carryover. It's funny because I can't imagine someone using textbook to access someone. I believe I am well paid than them, because as a student I send over 50k a month to my parents at home, also building my first company(a farm) and have a car. Only one year of working with this US company.

I have 3 options and I would like you guys opinion

1. I could sue them since I can also afford a lawyer ( I know this is a good case especially with textbook numbers in the exam sheet and the questions where easy I answered all of them in 30mins and even shared to people in my hall)
2. Play according to their game and block(give them bribe) the lecturers like people want me to do.
3. Leave the school and concentrate on building the company I started.

I have not dealt with this kind of issue before my dad has when he dealt with Chevron and also other cases he brought to his lawyer who take cases from him for free. My dad wants me to fight with law since he believes it's not right and it's corruption, My mom says I should ignore and give them what I want. I have seen some of these lecturers compel some girls to have sex for grades and felt bad. If I cannot stand for myself I believe my children will have no reason to rely on me if some lecturer threatens them in the future because I too will use the same solution that works for me.

Please what do you guys think honestly? I need honest answers from public. Thanks

Do you really want to hear the truth however bitter?

1. You are too Proud and it is already affecting you. Humble yourself and learn.
2. You got what you bargained for by leaving your former institution for this one. What was/were your deciding factors? Was ease of graduation part of it?
3. You cause more trouble for yourself by taking a legal action against them knowing the Nigerian legal system, the case may not even be decided in 6 years.

My Advice:
1. If knowledge is what you want, change school
2. If certification is what you want, swallow your pride finish school on time and face your business.
3. Even though, I do not support it, purchase their text books or handouts. Except you are an all A student, play by this rule.
4. Don't settle (bribe) lectures at all cost. If it comes to that, get the strongest evidence against them, go to court and change school.

Shalom!
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by olasubomi007(m): 6:43pm On Aug 12, 2016
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by yemmit90: 6:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
You are giving yourself unnecessary headache. I"m very sure the reason you have low cgpa or failed courses was because of your refusal to buy the recomended handbook/ textbooks and probably 'i too know attitude'.

How much is the entire textbooks that you cannot easily afford(since you earn more than them). Besides, your experience or brilliancy means nothing to Nigeria Lecturers, infact they hate seeing student proven them wrong in whatever way.

Whoever advise you to take legal against your lecturers has not been realistiic with you. Even if your exam scripts are presented in court, there is no way the court will determine if what you wrote is correlated to what your lecturers are expecting from you(since you dont have the copy of books using in the classroom or follow their instruction).
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by jamepatrick: 7:00pm On Aug 12, 2016
shadeyinka:

Do you really want to hear the truth however bitter?

1. You are too Proud and it is already affecting you. Humble yourself and learn.
2. You got what you bargained for by leaving your former institution for this one. What was/were your deciding factors? Was ease of graduation part of it?
3. You cause more trouble for yourself by taking a legal action against them knowing the Nigerian legal system, the case may not even be decided in 6 years.

My Advice:
1. If knowledge is what you want, change school
2. If certification is what you want, swallow your pride finish school on time and face your business.
3. Even though, I do not support it, purchase their text books or handouts. Except you are an all A student, play by this rule.
4. Don't settle (bribe) lectures at all cost. If it comes to that, get the strongest evidence against them, go to court and change school.

Shalom!

Thanks for your feedback:
You are too Proud and it is already affecting you. Humble yourself and learn:
I did learn i go to classes like normal student (3times a week) bought some textbooks(forgot to mention I bought some but didn't put take note of the textbook number ), even wrote all the tests and exams. I scored 8/10, 12/20, 7/20, in computer courses my test scripts where high like it used to be.

I think buying textbook is a good idea but not when forced to buy it by telling me I would fail if I didn't.
I changed school because this one was closer to my work and if I would have issues.
Any way thanks smiley
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by shadeyinka(m): 9:45pm On Aug 12, 2016
jamepatrick:

Thanks for your feedback:
You are too Proud and it is already affecting you. Humble yourself and learn:
I did learn i go to classes like normal student (3times a week) bought some textbooks(forgot to mention I bought some but didn't put take note of the textbook number ), even wrote all the tests and exams. I scored 8/10, 12/20, 7/20, in computer courses my test scripts where high like it used to be.

I think buying textbook is a good idea but not when forced to buy it by telling me I would fail if I didn't.
I changed school because this one was closer to my work and if I would have issues.
Any way thanks smiley

In my place we have a proverb. He who will catch a gorilla must behave like a monkey. I didn't mean that you don't go to classes. I was only saying that when you are in Rome, you learn to be a Roman. I am not advocating the buying of grades but if the society you find yourself is rotten, don't fight the tide alone.

Be wise also in moving along (not with) the tide. Don't join them to do evil but if giving to Ceaser what belongs to Ceased is not a Sin, please pay your taxes even if it is an extortion and get out of the system.

Just graduate as fast as you can and face your business.

I sense you have good intentions. The real world especially in Nigeria is rotten.
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by Tobitrueman(m): 10:54pm On Aug 12, 2016
shadeyinka:

In my place we have a proverb. He who will catch a gorilla must behave like a monkey. I didn't mean that you don't go to classes. I was only saying that when you are in Rome, you learn to be a Roman. I am not advocating the buying of grades but if the society you find yourself is rotten, don't fight the tide alone.

Be wise also in moving along (not with) the tide. Don't join them to do evil but if giving to Ceaser what belongs to Ceased is not a Sin, please pay your taxes even if it is an extortion and get out of the system.

Just graduate as fast as you can and face your business.

I sense you have good intentions. The real world especially in Nigeria is rotten.

Good points. OP, I urge you abide by this.
Re: I Need Your Advise On How To Handle My Lecturer In My Polytechnic by jamepatrick: 4:49pm On Sep 19, 2016
They fixed it. I turns out they had some issues with computing the results. I got 2.54 smiley

(1) (Reply)

Uniben Admission Screening Exercise (supplementary 2016/2017) / Project Topics And Materials In Marketing / See List Of Degrees That Might Be Terminated In Uniabuja - 9jaflaver News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.