Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Web Application On Intranet Alone! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Application On Intranet Alone! (998 Views)

Can You Create A Good Intranet Portal Using Dotnet Or Php / I Have A Job For You: Can You Build Web Application On Iphone? / How Do I Build An Intranet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Application On Intranet Alone! by digitalize(m): 10:57am On Sep 25, 2009
Hi, pls is it possible for one to develop an online application that will not have to be on the internet (or being hosted on a remote server over the internet), rather it will be accessible only on an Intranet? If possible, how?

I need help on this - I'm currently developing a web-based application with for a firm that don't want it hosted on the internet but they just want the application running within the firm alone (as an Intranet). How possible is this.?

Your help will be much appreciated.
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by segsalerty(m): 2:11pm On Sep 25, 2009
sure , you can , install any of these local servers on a Host computer that will serve as the server , copy all your application files in its html folder, your application can be communicated with via IP by other systems , thats the logic,
am sure someone else can explain better or you can chat me segsalerty@yahoo.com if you need more explanation
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by goldincome(m): 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2009
To add to what segsalerty said.
You need a server with DNS resolution. You can install XAMMP or WAMPP on it and then move your application to HTDOCS or WWW folder. Once your server is setup properly, the name of your server will call your site from every system on that network. eg. http://nameofyourserver/yourapplicationfolder.

I hope that helps.
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by biggjoe(m): 3:51pm On Sep 25, 2009
nameofyourserver above as mentioned by goldincome is the Computer Name of the server.

In place of the computer name, you can also use the IP address of the server.
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by xanadu: 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2009
very possible.

1. Decide what web server you will be using on the intranet: Apache, IIS, Domino etc. In many cases, this decision will affect how you develop your application, and vice-versa. install this webserver on designated server
2. Develop your application
3. Load/install this on to the web server decided upon.
4. Configure web server. The name of the site does not ONLY have to be the computer name or ip address - as @goldincome said, you can use DNS and set up an alias for the site

Let us know what web server you are looking at using, and I am sure we can contribute to helping you sort it out.
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by digitalize(m): 11:25pm On Sep 25, 2009
Thanks so much guys, the application I'm developing is with PHP, so I will be using apache (WAMP) server. Pls apart from the server do I need to configure any IP for the other systems?
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by xanadu: 11:51pm On Sep 25, 2009
@digitalize,
When you say 'the other systems' I guess you are speaking of the client machines? If so, if you have a DNS server on the network and the clients are on the same network and configured to use that dns server, all you will need to do is ensure the ip address - and alias, for example - are configured in DNS, and the clients should rceive that information.

What operating system is your intended application server runing?
Re: Web Application On Intranet Alone! by goldincome(m): 11:11am On Sep 26, 2009
The the organisation already have network in place, then no need to configure IP on other systems because it is already on the network. All you need is to put your application in the www folder of WAMPP on the server and then other systems can access it by typing the computer name of the server. ie http://servername/yourapplicationfolder.

I hope that helps

(1) (Reply)

Help With Adsense On Smf / Excel To Mysql Or Sql File Type / Gtbank Website Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.